What's new

Games Discussion Thread

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Sorry for interupting the riviting discussion of Dragon Age 2 fashion, but I had a fridge brilliance moment in regard to the Kingdom Hearts series, mainly why keyblades are so effective against the non-human enemies:

1. Keyblades, for the most part, are blunt instruments, beyond the more decorative designs that usually act as the Ultima Weapons in the series.
2. Heartless, Nobodies and Unversed are in essence solidified forms made out of the matter/emotion concerned (Darkness, nothingness, and negativity respectively)
3. Remember back in the Dungeon and Dragons era, where blunt equipment like Maces was extremely effective against Slimes and the like....?

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

Alright, I DO have to take back the part about the emotional attachment, even though this doesn't happen until later on. There is one main quest that made me regret that I could never in a hundred lives kill that son of a bitch hard enough for what he did.
Agreed. I have slightly revised my opinion on the story writing now. Betrayal is a strong emotional reagent.

Should have done that from the very start though. If you complete all the side quests, it takes you about 12 hours before you start exploring the deep roads, which makes it 12 sucky hours of story telling before you finally have something interesting. The only times I would put up with things like this is when reading books by Tom Clancy, but that's only because I am always guaranteed some explosive action in the last few chapters of the book.

I don't find the dragon scene emotional at all. It's purely person opinion of course, but you already knew it's coming since you saw it during Varric's fake story. It could have been emotional if they didn't have that first bit, which kinda ruined it all. In fact, I don't know why the hell they put that bit in at all. It made sense in demo because it gave you a taste of what your character will be like when fully powered up, but in the full game it just serves no value at all.

May be bioware will make a prequel based on the Frozen Throne. Now that's emotional. I almost cried when reading the last chapters.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

Did you miss the part where i was still a bamf? Fights were over so quickly. Never had to restart anything.
You can be the best mage while naked since if done right you should not get hit at all, but it still doesn't give the same feeling as laughing at the enemy while they try to scratch you.

@Lurker
The keyblades are pretty much the solidified "will power" of the user, so i guess it makes sense to hit emotions with more emotions.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

May be bioware will make a prequel based on the Frozen Throne. Now that's emotional. I almost cried when reading the last chapters.
Psst, Stolen Throne.

And bad writing was bad. I read it for Backstory. The Calling was worse. D: And i want a prequel based on the first blight. I don't want characters we know. I want something so far removed from characters we know.

@JohnDoe: To me it does, I'm not in it for the fighting anyway. Story, glorious story x3

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

Could make the next one about how the golden city in the fade became corrupted and the darkspawn came to be, that could be interesting.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Could make the next one about how the golden city in the fade became corrupted and the darkspawn came to be, that could be interesting.
Maker, yes!

Or how about a tale of the very last blight? There are only a certain number of Old Gods. There's like... 4 left, I think? So a tale of the very last blight would also be glorious.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, the very last blight would probably be fought with guns. After all, the Qunari have already developed cannons, and there are probably at least a hundred years between each blight... More than enough time for somebody to steal their gunpowder recipe.

Actually, since the darkspawn are fairly mindless and live nearly isolated, they would probably lag behind quite a bit in technological development. Thus meaning they would be easily disposed off by some Grey Warden wielding a .50 cal... That would be fucking awesome to look at, but a bit boring to play. But I probably put too much thought into it.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Homefront. I've been really looking forward to this title since discovering one of the creators and writers was John Milius, the guy who brought us Red Dawn and helped bring us Apocalypse Now. It wasn't story I was really looking forward to, more presentation of story. The themes, tones and raw emotions that the developers have been harping about for a long while now.

I was very pleased to discover that Homefront did deliver... mostly.

My biggest complaints are the short campaign (I beat in a little under 6 hours on normal), the 'meh' ending, and the later few levels which mostly lost their emotional punch and became quite similar to most FPS games out there today.

However, the game's first half is astounding in my opinion. Everything from the opening where you get woken up by a knock by Korean Police before getting a rifle butt to the face and tossed down some stairs, to a bus ride to see the brutality of the occupation. Many of the things I've seen before in video games, but in Homefront they are presented very well to add that extra kick it needed to poke its head out from beneath the pile of Call of Duty, Halo and so many others.

The first levels are a hallmark, in my opinion, of video game design. It's one thing to fight through a suburb with a few civilians running around with animations to show their fear... it's another to have them yell at you for bringing danger to them before the bullets start flying, a mother rushing past you into the relative safety of her home clutching her baby to her chest, screaming, the baby's wails haunting you as you try and fight off the soldiers you had brought to this place. There are some other moments that I won't spoil that truly did catch me off guard. Some of the little details bringing the horrors of conflict to life. I was actually screaming at the enemy in those first few levels... in that moment it wasn't about the achievements or the checkpoints. It was about payback, it was about killing every fucking invader I could get my hands on.

While compared to some games out there on the market, the characters weren't anything special, compared to most FPS games, they had some real meat to their animations. There was a complexity rarely seen in this genre.

The collectibles in the game are newspaper articles ranging in dates from 2007 to 2027. They give small glimpses into the world and how it became like it did. While this situation will never happen, they've done a lot of work to keep your suspension of disbelief. Still, there are those out there who will nit pick the story to death, yet leave games that didn't even seem to try alone.

The controls are very straight forward... torn straight from Call of Duty. So is the core gameplay, but it works. It still stands on its own despite the copy/pasted core gameplay. If you like Call of Duty, you'll like Homefront. And depending on your reason for not liking Call of Duty, you still might like Homefront.

I've yet to try the multiplayer. The game is suffering from the usual 'first day, oh shit we underestimated how many people were going to buy this game' that has hit big multiplayer titles in the past. There just isn't enough servers at the moment. Still, from what I hear it's similar to the old title "Frontlines: Fuels of War". I'll try to get it working tonight, but we'll see.

All in all, I'm quite happy with my purchase. The world built here draws you in quite well, so that when you do get the almost emotionless later levels you're invested in the experience. There were a few things I wish they expanded on more, and that the game had spent more time with the resistance type fighting rather than jumping into guns ablazing style... but it delivers the action well, and ups the ante with substance.

I recommend it for fans of FPS games that want some more substance than is usual, but the strong focus of shooter gameplay won't be appealing to anyone who doesn't like the genre.

*edit*: And no I still haven't fucking got Dragon Age II thanks to the distributors. I won't get it till at least Friday now...

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

For all you people having distributor problems, I suggest Gamestop, as opposed to internet shopping or Wal-mart or wherever people get their games from. I've been pre-ordering from the local EB Games for years, and the only problem I've ever had was the latest AvP game, cause the publisher failed at the 360 version and nowhere in western Canada had any copies on the proper release date. This collector's edition problem for DA2, I didn't even hear about until it was mentioned on the forums here.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

For all you people having distributor problems, I suggest Gamestop, as opposed to internet shopping or Wal-mart or wherever people get their games from. I've been pre-ordering from the local EB Games for years, and the only problem I've ever had was the latest AvP game, cause the publisher failed at the 360 version and nowhere in western Canada had any copies on the proper release date. This collector's edition problem for DA2, I didn't even hear about until it was mentioned on the forums here.
As far as I know, I'm the only one having distributor problems cause I get all my 360 games from a local comic shop, cause I friends with the owners. I feel weird buying from the big chain now.

And yeah, Eastern Canada didn't have any copies around for AvP either.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

Finished DA2 a few minutes ago, but it bugs me that the first thing a thought was thank god i'm done with the fetch quests...
Anyway chapter 3 sucks, bugs everywhere, and the illusion of having choices while you really have none...

The game is fun to play, but the storyline past chapter 1 and most of the characters are so uninteresting, i feel like an errand by most of the time, like i'm passively waiting for people to come asking me to help them with this and that, i don't feel any purpose, i just passively react at events happening in the background, but the worst thing of all is the lack of a real antagonist...
Then there was the damn wardens cameo during the battle against the qunari...I really wanted to follow them rather than staying in kirkwall, it's like they were leaving for a great adventure and i was left behind to do house chores, i swear i could actually heard them saying "I'm sorry, we can't stay here and play fetch quests with you, we have a real adventure to care of." while they left toward the DA2 that could have been...
Btw, what the fuck happened to flemeth?!

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Finished DA2 a few minutes ago, but it bugs me that the first thing a thought was thank god i'm done with the fetch quests...
Anyway chapter 3 sucks, bugs everywhere, and the illusion of having choices while you really have none...

The game is fun to play, but the storyline past chapter 1 and most of the characters are so uninteresting, i feel like an errand by most of the time, like i'm passively waiting for people to come asking me to help them with this and that, i don't feel any purpose, i just passively react at events happening in the background, but the worst thing of all is the lack of a real antagonist...
Then there was the damn wardens cameo during the battle against the qunari...I really wanted to follow them rather than staying in kirkwall, it's like they were leaving for a great adventure and i was left behind to do house chores, i swear i could actually heard them saying "I'm sorry, we can't stay here and play fetch quests with you, we have a real adventure to care of." while they left toward the DA2 that could have been...
Btw, what the fuck happened to flemeth?!
I figured that that was what the story was going to become when they announced it.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

And, since we were just talking about guns...

*Takes said .50 cal from said Warden and shoots DOUCHEBAG*

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

So I'm planning on ordering on Friday. Anyone else have it and would join up in multiplayer?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

So I'm planning on ordering on Friday. Anyone else have it and would join up in multiplayer?
There's a few of us about that have it. I'm one of em.

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

I have that game too. Haven't touched it for a while. It was a good game alright. Never too into RTS game though.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

It's on my sister's hickups being the reason it's on her steam account instead of mine. I recommend the Last Stand mode if anythingz.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I don't know if anyone brought this up but I doubt it. About a week ago, when perusing steam, an image caught my eye and I decided to check what game they were selling.

Before even looking at their interesting pictures, the description caught my eye.

"The year is 1942. Adolf Hitler has succeeded in resurrecting dinosaurs."
That's it, I'm sold!
Apparently, on the axis side, you have the ability to play as 3 different kinds of dinosaur, as well as 3 nazi classes and the 6 allied classes.

Of course, at the time, there was no option to buy it. However, Dino D-Day is now available for prepurchase at 10% off. ($17.99)

I don't know much about it, but if anything could make me buy a game for all the wrong reasons, they have that by the bucketfull

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Dammit. Now I have to scrape together money by mowing lawns to get this game. I hate mowing lawns.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

It's on my sister's hickups being the reason it's on her steam account instead of mine. I recommend the Last Stand mode if anythingz.
Yeah, that mode did sound good when I read about it on wiki. And I get to play as a Hive Tyrant too.

@Sin&Noman; Would you be up for some multiplayer asskickery?

@Toxic; Oh god, that game sounds amazing. Looks like I'll be getting another game on Friday now.