Super Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

YOU MOTHERFUCKER. TELL US HOW IT IS.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

OH MY GOD SO MUCH BLOOD WTF I JUST TURNED INTO A TIGER AND STARTED BITING PEOPLE IN HALF THE BATTLE MUSIC IS A VOCAL REMIX OF THE NMH THEME JESUS CHRIST I KILLED HELTER SKELTER'S BROTHER AND THERE ARE NES STYLE GAMES AND EVEN A TOUHOU STYLE GAME

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

OH MY GOD SO MUCH BLOOD WTF I JUST TURNED INTO A TIGER AND STARTED BITING PEOPLE IN HALF THE BATTLE MUSIC IS A VOCAL REMIX OF THE NMH THEME JESUS CHRIST I KILLED HELTER SKELTER'S BROTHER AND THERE ARE NES STYLE GAMES AND EVEN A TOUHOU STYLE GAME
what?

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

You obviously weren't listening. He said OH MY GOD SO MUCH BLOOD WTF I JUST TURNED INTO A TIGER AND STARTED BITING PEOPLE IN HALF THE BATTLE MUSIC IS A VOCAL REMIX OF THE NMH THEME JESUS CHRIST I KILLED HELTER SKELTER'S BROTHER AND THERE ARE NES STYLE GAMES AND EVEN A TOUHOU STYLE GAME.

Next time, learn to pay attention.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Beat it. I now officially declare it to be the best Wii game ever made, and one of the most fun and enticing video game experiences to be found on any console. Desperate Struggle, along with No More Heroes, are destined to become two parts of a cult classic. I hope that Suda51 continues this masterful universe past Desperate Struggle and into other games. (Suda51 has stated this is the last game Travis will star in.)

tl;dr

No More Heroes 2 is a fucking masterpiece that's even better than the original.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

@Sinful and Alias: What are you playing The Saboteur on? I was playing it for a while at a friends place and you had to hammer the button to climb up a building. How the hell is that a good climbing system?
Xbox 360. I haven't had to hammer on the button. Just point the stick and press A.

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

Beat it. I now officially declare it to be the best Wii game ever made, and one of the most fun and enticing video game experiences to be found on any console. Desperate Struggle, along with No More Heroes, are destined to become two parts of a cult classic. I hope that Suda51 continues this masterful universe past Desperate Struggle and into other games. (Suda51 has stated this is the last game Travis will star in.)

tl;dr

No More Heroes 2 is a fucking masterpiece that's even better than the original.
Shit, I got No More Heroes 2 early, about two days before it was officially released. (Don't even fucking ask me how. I saw it in Best Buy, not knowing it wasn't officially released yet, and bought it on an impulse buy. I didn't get any sort of weird looks or get stopped at all. I love the dumbasses at my stores.)

And yeah, it's the best game ever. There's gallons upon gallons of blood, there's a stage where you kill, and I'm not kidding here, at LEAST 9 dozen guys before you go on to fight the boss, the special modes that Travis goes into that clears rooms in a second are fucking BEASTLY, and the game is basically a MUST BUY YOU FUCKING WHORE BUY IT NOW I WILL RAPE YOUR MOTHER.

Everyone. Go Buy it. I don't care. BUY IT. BUY IT.

5/5 BUY IT.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

5/5 BUY IT.

Buy me a Wii first and I will.

So, kicking back to the PS2 for a while, my friend and I were debating what co-op game we were going to play next. We'd just beaten Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (*Very* short game, very little to no replayability. Seriously. We started the thing one night and if we'd actually started playing the game *sooner,* we would have beaten it. In one night. Really glad I didn't pay full price for that.) So, picking through the games I have, we go with Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. It's a 'spin off' of the Fallout series, taking place after 2 but before 3. We were having fun with the back. Rated M for strong language, blood, gore, sexual situations. We looked at each other and went "Just what every game needs." It's made by Bioware and if you've played any of the Baldur's Gate games for ps2 or xbox, then you know how this works. Best moment so far, though, was when you get to talk to Ruby, the "entertainment" in town. If you have enough caps, you can purchase her services. Screen goes dark, you hear moany-giggly noises and both of us look over at each other as we realize the controllers are vibrating. Of course, I was player one, and I was Cain, the ghoul. Next experiment is seeing if Ruby feels sick after sex with one of the human characters....

Yes, we're that mature.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I actually didn't like "Brotherhood of Steel" at all. I got pretty bored pretty quick with it.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, it helps to have a friend that plays with you, especially if you and the same friend have battled through Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Hunter: the Reckoning, Champions of Norrath, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Dynasty Warriors 3-6, including Xtremes, Samurai Warriors 1, 2, and Xtremes, and Warriors Orochi 1 and 2.

Dear sweet god, that's a lot.

Anyway, yeah. She and I have fun with it, especially if there's multiple playthrough options. The plot may be trite and the game simplistic at times, but we make it fun.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Ah, Fallout: BoS. I actually have that game.

Yeah, it's pretty much Baldur's Gate, just in Fallout land.

It's fun to run through once or twice, depending on when you read up on the secrets you can find.

The BEST part of the game, though, is the . I fucking LOVE that song.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

@Hunter: The Recoking - I loved that game, especially when you had a friend to play it with. More than two people got a little clusterfucky though, and Redeemer didn't fix that at all. Though, getting to play as Carpenter was pretty sweet.

Also, started playing Mass Effect 2, and found that it is about as good as the first one. The cover and combat are much improved, but the new ammo system is horrendous since most guns seem to run out of ammo incredibly fast, especially is they're actually powerful. The horrible and tedious Mako explorations have been replaced by the horrible and tedious resource scanning system. Money has been made valuable by the utter lack of things to sell and the fact that it's given out in tiny pinches by missions and safes you have to crack. The universe has apparently turned retarded on you, as most of them have completely forgotten about the Sovereign incident, and somehow every gun in the universe has been magically exchanged from the infinite ammo but overheating ones to the heat sink ones over a measly two years.

The leveling system has been changed so that it actually matters when you gain a level, but armor and non-static weapon upgrades have been removed almost entirely. They attempted (read: they failed,) to make activated abilities worth using. In fact, they seem even less useful than before, with the possible exception of the one that sets people on fire and the ammo abilities. The dialogue system is mostly the same, with a few added quicktime events that can net you paragon or renegade points. The game has also been split in places into missions, as opposed to the more dynamic exploration system from the first game.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I loved the first Hunter: The Reckoning. Never played the second on PS2, and didn't like the third.

As for Mass Effect 2. I kinda wished they combined overheating with the thermal clips. So you could wait for cooldown if you wanted, but eject the spent clips for quicker reload. The Sovereign incident hasn't been forgotten, but more people think the threat is over. You hear conversations about the attack on the citadel, but the council has been telling everyone the threat is dealt with. Which is why you work for Cerberus in the first place.

The tone is also much different. Grittier I find, as you move through the seedier places of the galaxy. The resource scanning system is tedious and boring. All the armour and weapon upgrades are now bought in stores, or found and researched on your ship. I also like the armour customization which lets you build your suit up for how you want to play. I find the new mission style puts more of an emphasis on the threat to the Galaxy. Because while Sovereign was getting ready to destroy the universe, you were off and smelling the roses. This time you are forced to move quicker against the forces trying to wipe out sentient life.

They took out quite a bit of the original's RPG elements to make it a bit more of an action game, though I'd still consider it an RPG at its core.

All in all, I'm enjoying it as much as the first.

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I think I will once TF2 loses its longevity and I get bored of it.

Almost 400 hours in since last September and showing no signs of slowing my pace. This 20 dollars has gone far, I don't see myself shelling out 50 dollars for a ~20 hour long game.

(you know how much I loved NMH and I'm sure NMH2 is great, but if the first was short, I don't imagine the second one will be much longer. assumptions, yeah yeah, but TF2 has really showed me how far a game can last you for such a minimal price)

Mirchie

The user previously known as Hero-in-the-Dark
Reputation score

On the subject of games that never grow old, Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot - Crash Bash), I've been playing them to death recently since I found them, got 100% (+the little bonus bits Naughty Dog used to throw in) and I still love playing them, see you a long time, when I eventually get bored with them, and start playing the old Spyro games instead.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh god, I remember chasing down those little guys in the robes and stuff that were trying to make off with the dragon eggs. What a pain! Still, fun games though!

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

I have a challenge for you guys. Rattle off some co-op games you know of that aren't actually online. In other words, ones that you need a buddy next to you to take player 2.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I've got plenty of ones on previous-gen consoles. If you want new-gen, the only ones I can think of right now that don't HAVE to be online are Army of Two, AoT: 40th Day, Halo 3 and ODST support up to 2 people, Gears of War 2 supports up to 2 people to my knowledge, and... gah, forget the name, something like Monster Madness, it supports up to 4 people on one system, and even then I forget if it's new-gen or previous-gen.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I have a challenge for you guys. Rattle off some co-op games you know of that aren't actually online. In other words, ones that you need a buddy next to you to take player 2.
Super mario galaxy(Sort of)
New super mario(wii)
Super smash bros brawl(Again, wii)

And some random flash games have that.