What's new

[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Virgin's Protection Magic Translation

How's the translation coming along? Any progress towards the next release, went back and played what I had and remembered there hadn't been an update in a while.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The Assembla activity feed is the best place for updates, as per usual, and the plan remains the same: get to 70%, edit it, and then release. That might mean a release near the end of this month, or it might not. It's hard to tell. August was a bad month for progress - holidays, summer being hot, and whatnot.

I've also been doing a lot of RPGMaker Trans work as well. Good overall (should fix problems some people have with RPGMaker Trans, should also let me actually translate the Recollection screen which is currently outside RPGMaker Trans's reach), but spending time on RPGMaker Trans slows progress on this project.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Ooh, sounds good. It's been a while, glad to see you're still on top of it!

Can more or less tell what the recollection screens say anyway, the text is where the good content is. If you've got a choice, just ignore it :)

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well, while as a point of pride I would say that translating the Recollection menu is required for this project, it's not so much about this game. RPGMaker Trans in it's current form has inherent weaknesses, because it's assuming games have a given structure. VPM is at the edge of what it can do, frankly. In particular, it's pretty much pure luck that it works with the Familiar command, because these bits of dialogue aren't stored in the Map or CommonEvent files. And the demo of VPM certainly required some custom hacks to get it to work; it's easy enough for me to do this, but if someone else who doesn't have the knowledge to program RPGMaker Trans comes up against this stuff... it's a problem.

There's also games which RPGMaker Trans doesn't work on completely either. Rune's Pharmacy is a notable one, as is pretty much anything that uses scrolling text, and all of OneOne1's games. And I'm pretty certain it's going to get worse when I add MV support, or indeed any other engines I add (I've been looking at Wolf and KiriKiri - KiriKiri in particular would need a lot of the infrastructure I'm working on now).

So in summary: RPGMaker Trans has a lot of problems, and I'm trying to address them. And there's also the matter of the other tools I'm trying to get working out there as well (RoboTrans is particularly useful, but not quite there yet; similarly with Stitch, and then after both of those I'm trying tor a universal partial translation patch...)

Man I've got a lot of stuff to do...

Stiltzkinator

Reputation score

when I add MV support, or indeed any other engines I add (I've been looking at Wolf[...])
Better support for translating MV and Wolf games sounds like a dream come true. Looking forward to what this utility can do.

yariel

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Translator for MV and Wolf is rare, even in ULMF ...
so go for it if you can ... ;)

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Regarding RPGMaker Trans: The priority at the moment is to get XP/VX/VX Ace reliable and the frameworks generic enough to support expansion to further game engines. Once that's done MV support should actually be pretty easy as it's all JSON files. And as there already exists a Python library for unpacking Enigma VirtualBox files, I should even be able to support packed files as well.

Wolf on the other hand... Well, it's all contingent on me being able to decipher arc_conv and the packed Wolf format sufficiently. There is already a project called WolfTrans, and while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of RPGMaker Trans, the main reason it doesn't see a lot of use because it requires manual packing/unpacking of the Wolf files with arc_conv. I'm fairly good at this kind of thing mind, but Wolf is certainly a more challenging prospect that MV.

And the other one I mentioned, KiriKiri (CBaku's games, Leane, Princess Sacrifice, a lot of other stuff)... The main obstacle here is the custom scripting languages that it uses. My attempts at doing a Ruby parser were... well, not particularly good, and I'm currently retooling to the parser from a syntax highlighting library. I kinda dread having to write a parser for KiriKiri script, although I'm hoping to be able to get away with a minimally modified Javascript parser.

Anyhow, enough on RPGMaker Trans. People can keep an eye on the RPGMaker Trans website for that (there's even an RSS feed as well), as well as any discussion in comments.

On the main subject of VPM: My stats file says I need to translate about 600 more dialogues before I hit my 70% target.

EDIT: Not worth a post, but it's worth saying - I've just completed all the defeat H-scenes. These are probably the toughest to translate in terms of motivational issues; A lot of it is just moaning, which is irritating to translate at the best of times, but there is something about translating lots and lots of rape scenes which is damaging to motivation. Hopefully the balance of the other H-scenes in the game will not be as taxing.

Last edited:

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

While we're on the subject of Kirikiri/Kirikiri2/KAG, there's a a set of tools that were translated specifically for the purpose of KK/KK2/KAG editing.
's where I found them.

@ Crispin:
You can donate to the fund the development over at if you're feeling generous ;)

EDIT: Yeah, moaning is mind numbing to people translating. Especially when it flies in the face of all common sense. It also doesn't convey well in text.

rizo

Reputation score

The Assembla activity feed is the best place for updates, as per usual, and the plan remains the same: get to 70%, edit it, and then release. That might mean a release near the end of this month, or it might not. It's hard to tell. August was a bad month for progress - holidays, summer being hot, and whatnot.

I've also been doing a lot of RPGMaker Trans work as well. Good overall (should fix problems some people have with RPGMaker Trans, should also let me actually translate the Recollection screen which is currently outside RPGMaker Trans's reach), but spending time on RPGMaker Trans slows progress on this project.
That's fine, I'll check Assembla feed from time to time then :)
I get August being a slow month, it is no matter what you're doing. Glad you're still working away on it though and I look forward to the next release...

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

As always, is a good way to get the latest up-to-date progress. I should be updating it pretty regularly this month.
bump to let you know that we can't read the full messages on your assembla most of the time (theyre too long, getting cut off)

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

bump to let you know that we can't read the full messages on your assembla most of the time (theyre too long, getting cut off)
Yep, that's a known issue with Assembla I'm afraid - and I'm kind of stuck on Assembla for now given that they're quite permissive on adult content, unlike other hosts where it's explicitly against the terms and conditions. If you're really interested, register an assembla account and clicking on the link should give you the commit page where you can see the full message. Normally though, they're not that interesting.

I am working on something new though, so keep an eye out and who knows, there may be something interesting.

About two hundred or so more lines of dialogue to translate before I start with the quality checking needed for release 0.70.

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Yep, that's a known issue with Assembla I'm afraid - and I'm kind of stuck on Assembla for now given that they're quite permissive on adult content, unlike other hosts where it's explicitly against the terms and conditions. If you're really interested, register an assembla account and clicking on the link should give you the commit page where you can see the full message. Normally though, they're not that interesting.

I am working on something new though, so keep an eye out and who knows, there may be something interesting.
... first you tell me that there isnt anything interesting, then youre telling me that there is something interesting out there.

i'm employing this tactic the next time i have to deal with a bunch of really curious people myself :p

rizo

Reputation score

yea I couldn't see the full messages so just made an account to see them. It sounds like we're nearing a release, well that's just me being optimistic :)
I'll keep an eye out. :p
Also you saying you're working on something interesting has got me hyped!

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

To clarify for anyone confused by earlier remarks of me working on something interesting: it's interesting insofar that it's a marginally interesting way of communicating information which is mostly uninteresting.

For the purposes of sowing further confusion: I am working on some genuinely interesting stuff (not translation or RPGMaker Trans related), but all of this has the major caveat that it may never actually see the light of day. It all depends on if/how good I can become at some skills which I don't really possess at the moment.

And on the topic of the next release... I'm not entirely sure. If I stick to the original plan of 'release at 70% complete', I'd expect it this month. I might deviate from the plan and try to translate all H-scenes in Act3/4 though, but that is quite a lot - I think it would take the game to something like 85% complete if I did. For this to be something I consider I'd need to finish making a translation assistant tool which I don't quite have ready yet...

I've no idea really, so we'll see what happens.

Spieli

Reputation score

It worked for me after changing the number in "Going back X days" on the right side into for example 30 days and pressing enter. Hope it will work for you and the others too. :)

Last edited:

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

It worked for me after changing the number in "Going back X days" on the right side into for example 30 days and pressing enter. Hope it will work for you and the others too. :)
nice find, thanks !

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

OK, an update on this.

I've recently cleared my symbolic "70% of the game is translated" threshold. Now, I previously said that this would suffice for me to go back and do edits and get the patch suitable for a release.

However: the tools I will be using to do edits aren't quite ready yet - Robotrans can't handle some stuff in VPM. Also I'm currently placing a high priority on getting RPGMaker Trans v5 out of the door by the end of the month. So all of that... kinda means I can't start editing yet. So my current plan is to continue translating H-scenes while I work on the RPGMaker Trans in general, as well as Robotrans so I can get to editing in earnest.

What does this mean for the next release? Well, I fear it won't be this month. But when it does happen, it might be at a stage where all content up until the end of Chapter 4 is translated, rather than just the main story.

fushan

Sex Demon
Reputation score

OK, an update on this.

I've recently cleared my symbolic "70% of the game is translated" threshold. Now, I previously said that this would suffice for me to go back and do edits and get the patch suitable for a release.

However: the tools I will be using to do edits aren't quite ready yet - Robotrans can't handle some stuff in VPM. Also I'm currently placing a high priority on getting RPGMaker Trans v5 out of the door by the end of the month. So all of that... kinda means I can't start editing yet. So my current plan is to continue translating H-scenes while I work on the RPGMaker Trans in general, as well as Robotrans so I can get to editing in earnest.

What does this mean for the next release? Well, I fear it won't be this month. But when it does happen, it might be at a stage where all content up until the end of Chapter 4 is translated, rather than just the main story.
no worries for me atleast, i wish you good luck again :p

rizo

Reputation score

That's fine, at least we know what's happening. Having a lot more translated in the next release it always nice too. :) Roll on next month :)
Keep being awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.