Reputation score
Re: Corruption Tournament OOC discussion and planning

I like to cram it in there on purpose.

Raffa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I like to cram it in there on purpose.
Sure you do. I might defend the Mushroom People living in Mushroom Houses once that area is unlocked.

Or wait and see if one of the adventuring parties gets KO'd before stepping in. ^^

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Hmnn, actually that'd be a good way of doing things too. ^^ I mean.. I totally thought of that! I can definitly do it that way if people like the ideaying.
I reckon go for it. We can use the tag system to make it clear when someone is leaving or arriving in a thread, so that it's still easy to see where people are going. Should help keep things down to around 1 or 2 fights per thread, which should be much more manageable and read better. In RPs that get large enough, we always have the option of sub-forums too.

Lets answer your question.. with another question. What happens to a vampire in sunlight?
So... auto loss then? Lizzy might be about to get some suuuuper easy first points. xD
Or should I play it as a burn damage over time?

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, the bane thing is burn damage over time (1d6 per rank per round I think?) Lizzy's ability only would drive your character off, (Cili has the same issue.) All you have to do is run for it and keep away from her.

Also I agree with the idea of splitting the thing up into multiple rooms. It helps keep the chaos down a bit.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Bane +1/rank
You are vulnerable to a specific item, object, holy location or even element that normal humans are unharmed by. Classical example is sunlight for a vampire. You take 1d6 damage/rank in this skill, max 3 ranks
Well thing is, the Bane weakness seems like it's balanced to trigger from things that actually do damage in the first place. The Achilles Heel weakness for comparison, doubles the damage, which in this case since Environmental Control has zero innate damage of it's own, would be zero damage doubled. It seems odd that one would trigger a significant guaranteed damage dice, whilst the other would do nothing. Triggering it with Elemental Control meanwhile, would at least still require to get past defence first.

Also, for a Bane to be triggered by an elemental attack, at least requires the opponent to spend that round attacking a single target, and consuming elemental dice. Environmental Control meanwhile allows a character to fight independently the entire fight. In hindsight, the measly 2 bonus points gained from rank 2 of the weakness, seems a shallow reward for potentially taking an average of 7 (or up to 12) unblockable damage every round, before any attacks are even made. Especially from a skill as cheap as environmental control. That's two rounds til defeat average, even if the opponent stood around picking their nose both rounds.

Since it's still before any fights have occurred, I'm tempted to shift points around or take Achilles Heel instead, but that'd just be avoiding the issue. : |

theguy09

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I only really took environmental control so Lizzy could blind people and light up areas.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Yeah. Even whilst fully knowing I was taking a bane related to it, I didn't expect it would trigger the damage dice like an actual attack. I'm absolutely fine to take a penalty for it, that's the whole point afterall. Perhaps a doubled blind penalty, or 1 point of auto burn per round? But an 8.3% chance of a first round insta-kill is a bit overkill for a 1 point power, and rather scary. xD

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yeah, that's why I toned back Cili's bane. I have to admit the ability for a character to more or less instant win without even having to lift a finger is a tad...OP, but at the same time. As the villains we can just kinda move around them. It only starts to become a serious problem when every group has someone with your bane.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Us doubling up on the darkness theme probably didn't matters help huh. xD

I could possibly reason that my "Elemental Light" bane as it's written, might not apply to Environmental control, and only focused attacks. Mal'Umbra isn't meant to be weakened or repulsed by normal sunlight or anything afterall, and there's a fair difference between a light based magic blast that could burn a hole in a normal person, and a radial effect that only blinds them. In fact I might go for that until told otherwise, since I don't want to be holding things up. But it felt like something worth resolving.

-1 to rolls for rank 1 dazzling/poor-lighting, -2 for full blindness/darkness, and increase that by 1 for each rank in a relevant bane? So a -4 total for me. If that sounds fair to TheGuy09 and Quaztec. (I'm guessing a bit and basing it off undetectable, since it doesn't give any numbers.)

It would probably work fairly well for other non damaging Environmental/Elemental combos too, like if someone was weak to fire, then temperature control might weaken them slightly, even though they're far from being on fire.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I could possibly reason that my "Elemental Light" bane as it's written, might not apply to Environmental control, and only focused attacks. Mal'Umbra isn't meant to be weakened or repulsed by normal sunlight or anything afterall, and there's a fair difference between a light based magic blast that could burn a hole in a normal person, and a radial effect that only blinds them. In fact I might go for that until told otherwise, since I don't want to be holding things up. But it felt like something worth resolving.

-1 to rolls for rank 1 dazzling/poor-lighting, -2 for full blindness/darkness, and increase that by 1 for each rank in a relevant bane? So a -4 total for me. If that sounds fair to TheGuy09 and Quaztec. (I'm guessing a bit and basing it off undetectable, since it doesn't give any numbers.)
What you describe is easily distracted (light). What exactly do you think 'bane' means, comic villains aside? You chose the weakness. To you, light that can burn holes into a person IS normal light. If normal sunlight or darkness has no effect on Ma'lumbra, get rid of the weakness and some of your powers bought with it along the way. Achilles heel would be a weakness only triggering if you are attacked by that element, worth 1 point.

Not that its storytelling wise wrong that the demons use more darkness, the heroes more light magic *chuckles*

p.s. aaand updated-split into multiple areas as requested, that should help people not get things cluttered. Again, more areas will be unlocked for the heroes if they prove victorious, to slowly advance the story. ^^

Last edited:

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

T-T

All right, I'll just figure out some way to change it around or do without then.

I really wasn't trying to be a nuisance nor a power gamer about this, honest. I picked it full well knowing other people already had light based magics because I thought it'd be fun. I just didn't expect it to be guaranteed suicide. So I hope you understand why I've been pedantic about it. I deliberately wrote the weakness as 'Elemental Light' to distinguish between the significant gap in intensity, in the same reasonable way that someone weak to fire doesn't burst into flames in warm weather, or someone weak to sonic attacks doesn't die from being spoken to. I would never have expected "Bane: Elemental Darkness" to mean that someone dies the moment they step into a normal dark room.

I just felt there should surely be some kind of difference or scaling between specific elemental attacks, and ambient effects.

Editing sheet in progress.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

A weakness at your rank should indicate that. You had it at rank -6-, iirc. Weaknesses are called that because they actually make your character weaker in some regard, allowing roleplay counters and etc. Now, I tried hard to make the weaknesses fun and rp related, but not because they are pointmines. A rank 6 weakness should be crippling. Now, its a fair point value to have, but .. yeah. its kinda what bane is. What you wanted, apparently, is achilles heel (light element) Which is 1 point for not really common, not 4 point value.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

A weakness at your rank should indicate that. You had it at rank -6-, iirc. Weaknesses are called that because they actually make your character weaker in some regard, allowing roleplay counters and etc. Now, I tried hard to make the weaknesses fun and rp related, but not because they are pointmines. A rank 6 weakness should be crippling. Now, its a fair point value to have, but .. yeah. its kinda what bane is. What you wanted, apparently, is achilles heel (light element) Which is 1 point for not really common, not 4 point value.
Bane +1/rank
It was Bane rank 2, which gives 1 point per rank. It was an incredibly tiny payout for taking 2d6 instant stamina damage every round from something that's so incredibly cheaply available. Even toothless pets could have potentially defeated me using nothing but Enviro Control. :x

No matter though, I boosted up "Lazy" by 2 points, and then took a point off Stamina so I could boost the artefact and fit Henrietta in there, which was something I'd wanted to do anyway. Also means I get a bigger imaginary house, which is always nice. I considered just changing the bane to "Holy Magic", since that would have escaped the 'Enviromental Control' issue, but judging off all this it would have probably just caused future confusion regarding what's Holy enough or not, like Zoeys God given Lightning and stuff. So screw bane, I'll just keep it simple.

Oh, I also took healing off of Henrietta and reduced her Distract skill, and gave her a tiny bit of Insubstantial instead, to reflect her link to her master better. Not worth anything in combat, but it does mean she can grope people through their clothes now as if the clothes weren't there.

If it's all good now, I'll stop messing with the character sheet and consider it locked. I need to catch up reading the in character stuff and figure out what's going on.

Last edited:
OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hmnn not much to respond to for Yari there. Hope things will pick up. ^^

theguy09

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Sorry wrote out something for Zoey on my computer, but had to come back to work before I could finish it :p

Give me two hours and it will be ready!

Last edited:

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So guessing not fighting in the dwarven mountains then? Cause I don't think you can enter a secret realm without being 'invited' so to speak by the person in control of it. :p

Corruptivespirit

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Got my first character up! Think you could look it over Deva? Looking forward to fighting my first few heroes!

Nullify

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I mean, I'd imagine the Secret Realm is exceedingly obvious, opening up an opportunity to lay in wait.

And if it didn't strike a weird spot, it would probably be strange to your hunter senses and smell that you'd know that the smell lead you to an area, then went away completely.

Last edited:

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Pervy, when you end up coming around. Can you check in the Halfling Hill's thread and tell us which attack Musubi should use? We're all a tad confused on if the attacker succeeding on their attack roll keeps the other player from attacking at all that turn or not. Also on if Slow means that an attack can be interrupted before it fires.

NightSky

Demon Girl
Reputation score

So we're waiting for Pervy to check on Secret Realm? or just skip to done resting?