Dark Gate OOC Thread

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Dark Gate OOC Thread

A bunch of backstory templates have since been added, but that's not what this announcement is for.

For those of you using DG4 mechanics, I've gone through with a few changes I've been considering for a while. Namely, Base Casting is gone and Focus checks has replaced it, the casting DCs to cast spells have increased significantly, and a bunch of Talents have been changed. In addition, off resistances have been changed to mainstat/6 + stat/3 and there is now a mostly unnecessary spot on character sheets for a class bonus reminder. These changes are fairly significant, so people running DG4 sheets right now will have to change their stuff.

I'm also considering a more drastic change that would dramatically lower the number of d10s being thrown around, but haven't decided on that yet.

Edit: Perception and Stealth are becoming Trades.

Last edited:

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

A bunch of backstory templates have since been added, but that's not what this announcement is for.

For those of you using DG4 mechanics, I've gone through with a few changes I've been considering for a while. Namely, Base Casting is gone and Focus checks has replaced it, the casting DCs to cast spells have increased significantly, and a bunch of Talents have been changed. In addition, off resistances have been changed to mainstat/6 + stat/3 and there is now a mostly unnecessary spot on character sheets for a class bonus reminder. These changes are fairly significant, so people running DG4 sheets right now will have to change their stuff.

I'm also considering a more drastic change that would dramatically lower the number of d10s being thrown around, but haven't decided on that yet.

Edit: Perception and Stealth are becoming Trades.
Ouch. I love the Uncivilized Template btw. It was more or less what I had hoped it would be minus the possibility of being unable to take a regular human language at start. Not that it would affect Tori being an Omni-Glot.

I have a butt load to change I see, reworded Skills and stats. Alongside picking up some perception if Rath doesn't let me add Uncivilized to my sheet.

How will this affect spells that Raise those Trades or will those be phased out?

Also Succubus Powers woot.

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Unfortunate but, Erotic Magus and Wizard still say Base Casting + Mount RP talent doesn't give free ranks in Mount Trade?

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Unfortunate but, Erotic Magus and Wizard still say Base Casting + Mount RP talent doesn't give free ranks in Mount Trade?
Mount won't give any trade ranks. You have to buy those separately.

Erotic Magus didn't need to be changed, it just says casting, but Erotic Wizard needed a word removed.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I added a possible new race, maybe. Genies! The new Magic Word flaw got me thinking. Each genie has three words. Anyone who guesses one can force the genie to do one task once. So that's three tasks for anyone who knows all three words. That would be pretty damn major.
I'd also like to address this, I won't be adding Genie's not because there's anything wrong with the suggestion, but because djinn already exist in the lore as elemental daemons, and I don't generally let people play as full blown daemons because they're too powerful. Sorry. :(

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Mount won't give any trade ranks. You have to buy those separately.

Erotic Magus didn't need to be changed, it just says casting, but Erotic Wizard needed a word removed.
Is there any need for Mount Trade if your just want one to ride on and not fight on?

So question does this mean taking and stacking Resistance Talent let's one easily raise their Casting stat? As its General and isn't restricted alongside the new reduce EXP for buying another instance of it is cheaper to raise the stat with the Talent then buying Stats or cross classing into Mage Skills.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Is there any need for Mount Trade if your just want one to ride on and not fight on?

So question does this mean taking and stacking Resistance Talent let's one easily raise their Casting stat? As its General and isn't restricted alongside the new reduce EXP for buying another instance of it is cheaper to raise the stat with the Talent then buying Stats or cross classing into Mage Skills.
Riding. And yes, if you want to control a mount, though it will only ever require one success.

Yes, but not as efficiently as going for pure casting bonuses, and raising mainstat also improves spell damage and other stats. This is all untested so far, so I'll have to work on rebalancing all of it.

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

How many successes do you need to get your mount to mount you.
I suspect that requires knowledge of which position your taking. Though doggy style confers a automatic success, two if your mount is a canine of some sort and three if you are shapeshifted into a canine or part canine ontop of that.

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'd also like to address this, I won't be adding Genie's not because there's anything wrong with the suggestion, but because djinn already exist in the lore as elemental daemons, and I don't generally let people play as full blown daemons because they're too powerful. Sorry. :(
Damn. Maybe we could make genie-kind a descendant race?

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I wonder if that'd be okay. I'm sure fans would be happy.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Tassadar said:
dragoon93041 said:
Okay, but, how about yes?
Literally just slap an elemental-kin template on your brown person of choice, or maybe that one that makes you into a ghost, bound to an item (your lamp). What more do you need? A weird bullshit Wish spell? Magic Word? Perhaps you actually roleplay it out instead of having some words on a sheet say you have to?

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Ehe the new System makes Tori a better Caster somehow. Can cast Level 2 Body Spells and Level 1 else spells. Sure she can't cast Level 4 or 5 on good rolls unless she sacks some of Attack and all of Dodge and casts the +10 to Casting Checks spell before hand.

roe2121

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Umm, Hi not sure if I posted in the right place couldn't exactly see where I could put up some kind of interest in giving this a try if there is any GM's with spots free at all?

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yeah, here is fine. I think dragoon had space, dunno if anyone else did. Just write up a character sheet, and let me or Hafnium know if you have any lore or rules questions.

roe2121

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

*Thumbs up* I managed to finish it off, hopefully I didn't miss anything.