What's new

A war RPG

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: A war RPG

Yep, and I would volunteer as well, but you pretty much saw the extent of my knowledge right there. On top of that tank, I know a single sniper rifle, and a civilian handgun, that's it. I can't even research effectively most of the time :/

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'd like to help as well. I know standard issue army equipment, standard training procedures, and operating policies. So, what little I could bring, I'd like to help him with. Just don't ask me to be a co-GM, we've established I fail at it.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, I'll probably need help when it comes to allied countries weapons. Don't know them very well, for example all I know about CF's weapons is they have the C-7 and leopard tanks. I know enemy weapons and US armaments. Hell I could still probably tell you North Korea's entire order of battle, not that anyone needs to know that. I also still have all my Jane's books so it wouldn't take me much to look stuff up, also.

I'll try to give a better idea of what I have in mind later, but work beckons currently.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well I know all the CF equipment necessary for the RP. I also know a bit about British and French too.

Fuck the French have weird drill.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I got nothing but a willingness to play :D

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Well good between the two of us we should have most stuff. I think most countries drill looks weird compared to ours, but that's just because I'm used to ours. You want to see something funny, you should have seen the British guy's marching to chow with me calling cadence.

The system I have right now is a D20 system, similar to D20 modern but it's from before modern came out. Or what I would like to do is work out something with the storyteller system. So Shrike has more to offer than she thinks. I think the storyteller system would work well for this game, because D20 seems kind of limited to me. Though it'll probably end up a mix of different things. I'll definately try to be on to night, and there's no alcohol in the house so I should be able to make it. Then maybe I can actually work on something for once.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Haha, now your talking in my language :D

I can help, but if you want the real Storytelling expert, ask Copper. She's been playing it since before I knew what an RP game was. That said, you can pull the system out of any of the books, remove the part referring to whatever supernatural the book is about, and the rest is perfactly playable as a normal person. I have pdf's for most of it, do you want the tabletop d10 versions or the LARP rock-paper-scissor versions?

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

You already gave me a LARP version, and I found a tabletop one as well. Not sure which I'll use yet though.

Just to get things rolling somewhat, I'll be putting stuff up today, lost power last night. Also so you can start thinking of characters heres a sheet to get started. I'll be using the current year. Any questions/ideas just post them. I might have missed something.

Name: duh
Appearance: as detailed as you would like
Country/branch of service: US army, Canadian Forces, British Royal Marines, etc. If your not really sure just put a country, and I can help out with the rest.
Background: Whatever you want to include to help me out. Two things I would like to see included if you can think of them. Reason for joining, and your worst fear.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I feel ashamed for letting this slide. My apologies Ronny.

Name: MWO Emily Patterson
Appearance:
This is essentially MWO. Patterson in my mind, except with brown instead of blue hair... unless of course Ronny's elite unit accepts that.
Country/ Branch of Service: Canada/ CSOR
Background: Joining the Reserves at 16 for some excitement, and to get out of the rut she had dug for herself, Emily Patterson quickly found a home for herself in the military. At the age of 19 she put in an application to go overseas to Afghanistan with 3RCR. With them she was attached to the Paratrooper company where she earned her wings. After tour she transferred from Reserve Force to 3RCR permanently. After getting her promotion to Master Corporal she decided to join the new CSOR unit.
When a call for a new NATO joint team was put out, Emily was selected to be the Sergeant Major of the group. She accepted and immediately moved to the new training area.
Her major fear is life is seeing those under her command go home in a box draped in a flag, or being captured.

Last edited:

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I missed a bunch on this, but looks pretty good.

Someone feel like catching me up to speed with a recap?

Probably do some kind of Marine Corp based character, or Green Beret perhaps. Will have to do some checking in on weaponry, but if pretty much anything goes then I've got some setups I can whip up.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

If anyone does need help making a character. Especially those making a Canadian character, just PM and I'll see what I can do.

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Name: Gunnery Sergeant Barry Anderson

Appearance: Barry is about six foot six, roughly two hundred and
fifty pounds. His eyes are deep blue, hair brown and very close shaven, typical of his military background.

County/Branch of Service: United States/United States Marine

Corps.

Background: Barry joined the Marines when he was 18, shortly following the deaths of several older friends who went into the Army. Originally he was looking for total revenge, but soon realized that he needed to excerise judgement. Having had a father who'd been in the army as a sharpshooter, Barry already had followed in these steps, and would eventually become his unit's top sniper. He's risen through the ranks fairly fast, and has always been a dependable person. Whether you need a sniper shot taken, or a tough as nails veteran in close quarters, Barry has been there for as long as many in his unit can remember. Given his significantly longer service time than the rest of his unit, he's been lovingly given the name "grandpa".

Barry doesn't fear very many things, but the one major fear he has is not being able to help a comrade in need when the chance is there, and failing them.

Weaponry:

C14 Timberwolf: This is a manually operated bolt action sniper rifle, using .338 Lapua Magnum sniper rounds. With an effective range of 1,500 Meters or longer, it's no reason why Barry is so good at sniping.

FN P90: This is a lightweight, easy to fire sub machine gun. It utilizes 5.7x28 mm rounds, and has a 50 round mag.

Glock 35: Barry has customized this piece of fine handgun to fire two types of rounds. It can fire the traditional 9mm rounds, or .40 S&W rounds, which pack a greater punch. He rarely uses this weapon unless at extremely close range, preferring to take targets out from a distance whenever possible.

His backpack contains several boxes for ammunition for each weapon, and has a special harness designed to hold, if need be, both his heavier weaponry at once. In the case of the P90 clips, he has six clips for them in his pack at any given time, sometimes more.

Given his immense strength, he's about the only person in his unit capable of carrying all this stuff, and not dropping from exhaustion.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sorry to steal your thunder Siphon, but he wouldn't have cases of ammunition as those are quite bulky and large. However even if he carries a lot, he wouldn't be the only one in his unit to carry lots of it.

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Doh, I meant box, like the small boxes of thirty 9mm rounds. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix that.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Daaaaaaamn. Can't believe I left this on the backburner of my mind. Anyhow, count me in.

Name: Bernie "Rock Salt" Henderson
Appearance: Bernie stands at a formidable 6'3", has brown buzz-cut hair, a severe under-bite, blue eyes, muscular body, and normally wears his Marine fatigues and sleeveless shirt, normally hidden by his body armor.
Country/branch of service: United States of America/US Marine Corps.
Background: Bernie has had an average life. Joined the Corps at the age of 20, and has fought with all his might ever since. He's fought in Operation Iraqi Freedom, Desert Storm II, and many other conflicts. His record is matched only by his combat skills, which are always more than enough to get him out of things alive. He plans on staying with the Corps for his entire life, and never intends to take a rank where he can't fight. His biggest fear is the fear of death, wanting to live and fight for as long as he can for his country.

Pardon the half-assed character description. I'll try to improve it later when I can actually think better.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It seems fine to me Burrito, but then again I'm not running this here show. I'm assuming Ronny doesn't care too too much about that though.

*edit*: I'm gonna get a hold of Ronny about what's going on with this.

Last edited:
OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Sorry bout that, I've been so busy with work lately I haven't even been popping in for a look around. I should probably start working on this again I guess.

No problems with anything so far as Sinful pretty much caught anything odd. I wouldn't say anything about any weapons since most SOF units pretty much let anything go weapons wise. Same with appearance, especially while they're working. I remember almost opening fire on some green berets, because they looked like Iraqis in a technical.

I'll just go get to work now.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Alright, I'm willing to run with just three people and two GMs. I'll soon get hold of someone to see if we can get our own board for this.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm assuming I count as one of those three, so I'll go ahead and post what I have. All that's missing is my background, and that's just missing the proper write-up, so I can play without it if it comes to that:

Linda
Name: Linda
Appearance: 5'3", lanky but athletic body, 162 lbs. Long brown hair, reaching down to just above her ass, usually tied into a tight braid and wrapped loosely about her neck.

Country/Branch of Service: Canada, currently in the Rocky Mountain Rangers reserve unit based out of Kamloops, BC. Formerly in 3 PPCLI, based in Edmonton.

Weapons of Choice: McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle, Beretta 90two 9mil sidearm, combat knife.

Background: Like I said, missing a proper write-up, but I can do some notes, get the jist of it.
-quiet, unobtrusive, doesn't talk much
-enjoys nature, actually owns an acredge in the mountains
-focused and goal-oriented, but patient, without unnecessary hurry.
-joined the military at 19, moved to edmonton to train and served from there for 10 years.
-several minor cases of disobedience and refusing a direct order had her nearly transferred to the 'troublemakers' unit', but she chose the switch to the reserve instead, choosing the unit at Kamloops so she could be in the mountains.

Reason for Joining: For the chance to get back out there and do some good, without being stuck in the troublemaker's unit. She still feels her reputation is unearned, and she doesn't want to be stuck with the true troublemakers.

Greatest Fear: Claustrophobia. It's manageable, indeed barely noticable, inside most buildings, unless it's really cramped, but it really acts up if she has no ability to leave the area if she wishes, an example being locked in a room or cell.