What's new

RPG [Ahriman] 風紀剣士アサギ/ Defender of Public Morals: Swordswoman Asagi (RJ149951)

OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Defender of Public Morals: Swordswoman Asagi (Ahriman) 風紀剣士アサギ

Ahriman has released a demo for , his latest work. Thread here.

Stiltzkinator

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Ahriman has released a demo for , his latest work. Thread here.
You other thread appears to be MIA.

As for the demo, it's not very polished. I would actually say that it's pretty rough, but that said, I don't think Ahriman has lost their touch, since the existing art for Aoi, at least, looks great.

OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

You other thread appears to be MIA.

As for the demo, it's not very polished. I would actually say that it's pretty rough, but that said, I don't think Ahriman has lost their touch, since the existing art for Aoi, at least, looks great.
Yeah I think my thread got assassinated. Moment of silence for the purehearted that left us too soon.

But yeah I feel like Ahriman just couldn't wait any longer and wanted to put something out.

He did say he was adding in the restraint sex moves for the enemies in a version .2 of the demo. There's something about this setting and this new heroine that just clicks perfectly to me. I love the optimization of the combat system, how he added in a "range" for enemies, and new moves that use the system. For example, Aoi has a counter move that only reacts to close range attacks, meanwhile gunmen or arrow users won't be affected. The enemies are also placed in a way to emphasize the new range too, with long range attackers hiding in the back of the enemy mob. This is the best the combat's been, and that's without the added in-game sexual attacks.

The only thing that saddens me is that this is going to be a mini game, as I can never get enough of my friend's games :)

OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score

I can say with confidence that my thread would've grown into a fine place to discuss, it even had a brief introduction and a perfectly embedded picture. *single tear*
And why would this other thread not be a fine place to discuss?

Also, I do not think the title is officially Demonic Swordstyle either.
Which puts your thread on lower value in my eye for making up title already.

OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

And why would this other thread not be a fine place to discuss?

Also, I do not think the title is officially Demonic Swordstyle either.
Which puts your thread on lower value in my eye for making up title already.
I didn't say it wouldn't be, that seems to be your implication. Two separate things can both be "good", you know?

And I don't really care about your opinion on the title of the thread, I am not a professional translator. Here's my source since my amateur transliteration doesn't suit your superior tastes.

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score

I didn't say it wouldn't be, that seems to be your implication. Two separate things can both be "good", you know?

And I don't really care about your opinion on the title of the thread, I am not a professional translator. Here's my source since my amateur transliteration doesn't suit your superior tastes.
Yet you just had to whine "oh but muh thread", implying you weren't satisfied with the current thread (which I don't see you post anything there either)

On translation: If you got your translation from the machine translation, just say it outright and don't pretend that it's definitely the correct translation (most of the time it's not)

Also why suddenly dropped the 'Zhen' part? Too shameful to present that as part of the title even though THAT is what your translation method tells you? What if that's actually important to the title that you accidentally removed cuz "muh translation"?

Just to give an example of how interpreting machine translation ends up making something completely wrong.

In a certain story, this is a line in the translated chapter:
The actual raw:みんな死なないでね?
Machine translation for that part if using the whole line: we do not everyone die?
What's in the chapter "won’t all of you die?"

Did that seem to make sense to you?
Well, if you haven't realized given what I said before this, that is wrong.
Machine translation with just that part alone: Please do not everyone die?

Actually proper translation: "Everyone try not to die, ok?"

So by relying on the machine translation, that translator just changed the tone of a line completely from asking the others not to die to demanding that they die.

tl;dr - If you can't actually translate, don't pretend you can by copying machine translation. It makes people who can't understand the title get a wrong impression, and the people who do only see you as an idiot.

EDIT: Also that you keep the thread title/touninden's title with what I assumed is also 'your' translation despite the fact that you link to their English DLSite page which have different titles entirely.

Last edited:
OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Yet you just had to whine "oh but muh thread", implying you weren't satisfied with the current thread (which I don't see you post anything there either)

On translation: If you got your translation from the machine translation, just say it outright and don't pretend that it's definitely the correct translation (most of the time it's not)

Also why suddenly dropped the 'Zhen' part? Too shameful to present that as part of the title even though THAT is what your translation method tells you? What if that's actually important to the title that you accidentally removed cuz "muh translation"?

Just to give an example of how interpreting machine translation ends up making something completely wrong.

In a certain story, this is a line in the translated chapter:
The actual raw:みんな死なないでね?
Machine translation for that part if using the whole line: we do not everyone die?
What's in the chapter "won’t all of you die?"

Did that seem to make sense to you?
Well, if you haven't realized given what I said before this, that is wrong.
Machine translation with just that part alone: Please do not everyone die?

Actually proper translation: "Everyone try not to die, ok?"

So by relying on the machine translation, that translator just changed the tone of a line completely from asking the others not to die to demanding that they die.

tl;dr - If you can't actually translate, don't pretend you can by copying machine translation. It makes people who can't understand the title get a wrong impression, and the people who do only see you as an idiot.
Well, I didn't whine, first of all. I stated that my thread was removed, then made a joke about it. I don't see a problem with being proud about something I worked on, I think that's natural for most people.

I don't feel like posting anything to the other thread right now, which is why I haven't. (It's almost like it's common sense)

If you were under the impression I was a professional translator, that's your mistake not mine. I never said my translations were professional, and I'm not sure why you would assume so. It'd be like asking someone off the street to paint your house and then getting upset when it's not a professional job, without any prerequisite questions on your part. Oh, and I'll say what I please; I'm not withholding information, if you've got a question it's up to you to ask it.

The title is translated as well as possible, with my interpretation of the information presented. Since I believe it is as accurate as possible I'm going to stand behind what I said, and anyone is free to disagree if they feel like it is inaccurate. It's called "confidence". My goal is to create an accurate translation that also makes sense to the English speaker. If you are expecting absolute perfection, you will be disappointed.

Anything I translate is for the benefit of people who don't read Japanese and don't know how/don't want to translate the text themselves.

In short, I ommited Zhen precisely because I wasn't sure it actually was important. The word Zhen doesn't even appear when translated through another website.

What I am sure of are these facts: The protagonist's name is Aoi, Ahriman has a history of having female swordsmen who have special names for their sword techniques (a quick peek at the translation of Asagi's move list is a great example), the story is about Aoi, who also uses a specific sword technique (or style), and the translation outright says " demon Sword style of AOI". I'm not saying a machine translation is perfect as is, I merely see it as a starting point for understanding what is said, before using context and common sense to pull all the pieces together into a coherent translation. Understanding the context is essential for translation and my own understanding of the context is part of the reason why I am so confident in what I say.

Demonic Swordstyle Aoi works as a title because it presents information that the original title does, in an easy to read phrase. Would "Aoi's Demonic Swordstyle" work? Sure. Would "The Demonic Sword Style of Aoi" work? Why not. If discrepancies with semantics are the biggest concern, I think that just boils down to personal opinion on how people want to say the same thing. I personally wanted to emulate the word placement for a slightly more authentic sound.

BTW your example isn't great because you don't provide context until after answering your rhetorical question. It's like saying "No, 2 + 1 isn't 3, it's 21. You're dumb for not knowing the context of the question without me telling you what it is beforehand."

Tl;dr I'm not a professional translator, nor have I claimed to be. My goal is to create accurate translations that make sense to English speakers. Machine translation is merely the starting point for my translation, and only after using my knowledge of the context and a bit of common sense (along with research of the meaning of individual characters when necessary to fully understand all possible meanings) do I decide a translation is as accurate as possible while still making sense to English speakers. Your example sucks.

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, I didn't whine, first of all. I stated that my thread was removed, then made a joke about it. I don't see a problem with being proud about something I worked on, I think that's natural for most people.
And that's why I only pointed out that there's already a thread for the game. At THAT point it was fine.

But then you had to follow up:
I can say with confidence that my thread would've grown into a fine place to discuss, it even had a brief introduction and a perfectly embedded picture. *single tear*
If you think your information was something you're proud of and want others to see, you can just post it in the other thread. But no, you had to reply to me pointing out that there's a thread for the game already. There's no reason to make a point of saying 'my thread', heck back when you did this same thing with Asagi I even relented because unlike you I do not have attachment to being the thread creator.

If you were under the impression I was a professional translator, that's your mistake not mine. I never said my translations were professional, and I'm not sure why you would assume so. It'd be like asking someone off the street to paint your house and then getting upset when it's not a professional job, without any prerequisite questions on your part. Oh, and I'll say what I please; I'm not withholding information, if you've got a question it's up to you to ask it.
And neither did you say that the title you proposed were based on machine translation either, you only posted the 'translation'.

Your example is wrong because I did't 'ask' for said paint job, it's someone who put up a shop saying "Paint Job" that turns out didn't actually have qualification for the job, but only tell people after he painted the house and people were infuriated he did a shitty job or when an actual professional calls him out on it.

The title is translated as well as possible, with my interpretation of the information presented. Since I believe it is as accurate as possible I'm going to stand behind what I said, and anyone is free to disagree if they feel like it is inaccurate. It's called "confidence". My goal is to create an accurate translation that also makes sense to the English speaker. If you are expecting absolute perfection, you will be disappointed.
No, it's called being pretentious:
"attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed."
You already admitted to not being a professional translator, and that you used machine translation (which is pretty well-known to be shitty at JP->Eng) and I already provided an example earlier that relying on machine translation can give completely wrong outcome ("try not to die" vs "won't you all die")

Anything I translate is for the benefit of people who don't read Japanese and don't know how/don't want to translate the text themselves.
And neither did they ask you to, nor do I think they'll appreciate wrong translation over no translation.

Understanding the context is essential for translation and my own understanding of the context is part of the reason why I am so confident in what I say.
I won't disagree that understanding context is important, but when you start out in the wrong direction and assumes it's the correct one, that's a problem.

BTW your example isn't great because you don't provide context until after answering your rhetorical question. It's like saying "No, 2 + 1 isn't 3, it's 21. You're dumb for not knowing the context of the question without me telling you what it is beforehand."
Except it was an example of how someone relied on machine translation and ends up making a translation that have completely different meaning than the original line.

So the sentence I put didn't require special context.
Meaning your example, it'd actually be me saying "No, it's just 2+1 is 3, it's not 21. THERE WAS NO SPECIAL CONTEXT THAT YOU ASSUMES EXIST"

Tl;dr I'm not a professional translator, nor have I claimed to be. My goal is to create accurate translations that make sense to English speakers. Machine translation is merely the starting point for my translation, and only after using my knowledge of the context and a bit of common sense (along with research of the meaning of individual characters when necessary to fully understand all possible meanings) do I decide a translation is as accurate as possible while still making sense to English speakers. Your example sucks.
Then here's an advice: Stop using machine translation and go learn the actual language, otherwise stop acting like you actually translated something when all you did was interpret a machine translation's result.

What you gave wasn't 'translation' it's 'interpretation of a transliteration', if you think otherwise then you're just being pretentious.

p.s. while you're in this thread anyway, how about updating the thread's title with the game's official name? Or does your 'pride as machine translator' prevent you from keeping a thread's up to date when pointed out?

Last edited:
OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

And that's why I only pointed out that there's already a thread for the game. At THAT point it was fine.

But then you had to follow up:

If you think your information was something you're proud of and want others to see, you can just post it in the other thread. But no, you had to reply to me pointing out that there's a thread for the game already. There's no reason to make a point of saying 'my thread', heck back when you did this same thing with Asagi I even relented because unlike you I do not have attachment to being the thread creator.
I made the thread so I could see any questions people might have about the story, or any suggestions/comments for things they want added, removed, or changed. This way instead of posting a comment asking for such information, I can just see it through a notification and take things from there without having to search through another thread for relevant posts I can help with.

And neither did you say that the title you proposed were based on machine translation either, you only posted the 'translation'.
What's more appealing to someone who speaks English on an English website: a thread with nothing but Japanese text, or a thread with words they can read, along side the original title? I think people are more likely to view a thread (giving the game more exposure) if there's some English text in the title, regardless of if the translation is perfect.

Your example is wrong because I did't 'ask' for said paint job, it's someone who put up a shop saying "Paint Job" that turns out didn't actually have qualification for the job, but only tell people after he painted the house and people were infuriated he did a shitty job or when an actual professional calls him out on it.
In either case the point is that it's your fault for assuming professionalism when not explicitly stated. I can post what I please, the actual title is right there next to my "interpretation of a a transliteration". The reader can translate it themselves if they so choose.

No, it's called being pretentious:
"attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed."
You already admitted to not being a professional translator, and that you used machine translation (which is pretty well-known to be shitty at JP->Eng) and I already provided an example earlier that relying on machine translation can give completely wrong outcome ("try not to die" vs "won't you all die")
Really? How am I being pretentious by openly saying I'm not a professional and that my translations are not professional? What you see is what you get.

And neither did they ask you to, nor do I think they'll appreciate wrong translation over no translation.I won't disagree that understanding context is important, but when you start out in the wrong direction and assumes it's the correct one, that's a problem.

Except it was an example of how someone relied on machine translation and ends up making a translation that have completely different meaning than the original line.

So the sentence I put didn't require special context.
Meaning your example, it'd actually be me saying "No, it's just 2+1 is 3, it's not 21. THERE WAS NO SPECIAL CONTEXT THAT YOU ASSUMES EXIST"
I was referring to the context of the story you were talking about.
"won’t all of you die?" could make sense given a certain context, "Everyone try not to die, ok?" could too, but there's no explanation as to why which works best because you didn't flesh out the situation.

Then here's an advice: Stop using machine translation and go learn the actual language, otherwise stop acting like you actually translated something when all you did was interpret a machine translation's result.

What you gave wasn't 'translation' it's 'interpretation of a transliteration', if you think otherwise then you're just being pretentious.

p.s. while you're in this thread anyway, how about updating the thread's title with the game's official name? Or does your 'pride as machine translator' prevent you from keeping a thread's up to date when pointed out?
I'm already in the process of learning Japanese, and a translation is going to have varying interpretations no matter who does it. There's more than one way to say the same thing. You haven't shown me where my actual translations in Asagi are wrong nor have you offered an alternative translation or idea as to what the title for what Ahriman's latest game is called. Also, nobody has complained about my translations except for you.

The translation thread would have the exact same name, would that cause a conflict? If not I have no problem updating to the most accurate title.

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score

I made the thread so I could see any questions people might have about the story, or any suggestions/comments for things they want added, removed, or changed. This way instead of posting a comment asking for such information, I can just see it through a notification and take things from there without having to search through another thread for relevant posts I can help with.
And what does YOU knowing those do? Last I checked you're not Ahriman himself, and given that you've just proved you don't understand Japanese I see no reason people having to specifically tell you such things will be of any benefit.

What's more appealing to someone who speaks English on an English website: a thread with nothing but Japanese text, or a thread with words they can read, along side the original title? I think people are more likely to view a thread (giving the game more exposure) if there's some English text in the title, regardless of if the translation is perfect.
From my experience? Quality > all else.
People will usually just click the titles that appear on the front page because that's likely to be of high enough quality that others actively talk about it, English title does nothing in that regard except make it easier to search for it again if it falls off first page. (Human are smart enough to recognize names via just symbol even without understanding the meaning you know)

In either case the point is that it's your fault for assuming professionalism when not explicitly stated. I can post what I please, the actual title is right there next to my "interpretation of a a transliteration". The reader can translate it themselves if they so choose.
Sorry that I am not paranoid enough to treat everyone with suspicions that they might not be qualified to do the things they do.

Really? How am I being pretentious by openly saying I'm not a professional and that my translations are not professional? What you see is what you get.
By acting like you did actual translation when you only look at a machine translation's result and interpret from it.

The machine translated, you interpreted. To act like you did more than that is what made you pretentious.

A simple disclaimer that it's based on machine translation and I wouldn't bat an eye, but not only did you never mentioned that until I pointed you out, you even gone on defensive when I do.

I was referring to the context of the story you were talking about.
"won’t all of you die?" could make sense given a certain context, "Everyone try not to die, ok?" could too, but there's no explanation as to why which works best because you didn't flesh out the situation.
Well, since you says you're learning Japanese and seem to think I don't know Japanese.
Give it to your teacher, and ask which is correct.

To "won’t all of you die?"
Or "Everyone try not to die, ok?

Feel free to ask if it's even possible to be the other one.
(and no, there's no other bits that might even remotely change the meaning of that sentence at all, so just to confirm, it is 2+1 = 3, there's no hidden context for a surprise 21 answer)

You haven't shown me where my actual translations in Asagi are wrong nor have you offered an alternative translation or idea as to what the title for what Ahriman's latest game is called. Also, nobody has complained about my translations except for you.

The translation thread would have the exact same name, would that cause a conflict? If not I have no problem updating to the most accurate title.
I did not comment on whether your title is wrong or not, but that there's actual English title on DLSite page, which for whatever reason you haven't seen it despite it being in the very first post and that I pointed it out (then again the last time the OP was edited was by a mod and not you)

The Moral Sword of Asagi
and
Touninden -The Kunoichis of Sexland-

As for the translation thread...
Have you been to the translation thread at all? THEY NEVER USED YOUR TITLE. It's been The Moral Sword of Asagi since the start.
(Even if the initial post is edited, looking at the 2nd post onward and they'll used the thread's title at the time those posts were made)

shadowman

Lurker
Reputation score

Children please... You're both retarded for putting this much energy into a meaningless internet argument.

XII

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Donny you better finish your japanese language study first before trying to translate anything, translate it with program never do anything good, a worst choice if you didn't even know commonly used kanji, if you mastered japanese language you could read it raw, then understand the meaning, finally try to convey it to english as best as possible

asagi title should be disciplinary swordsman asagi not the moral sword of asagi, maybe for some people it doesn't make sense, but the title meaning its kinda like disciplinary committee on school, but since english dlsite write it that way soo... _(:3」∠)_

OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Yeah, sorry about getting so off topic, I enjoy disagreements online from time to time. I'll get back to studying Japanese, but I'll be sure to add a disclaimer if I work on something else. The reason I like to hear people's suggestions and ideas is because Ahriman is a good friend of mine and he often asks me for such suggestions and ideas. I figured why not give other people's ideas while we're on the subject. This stuff is not that serious lol.

lordlubu21

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Its posts like this that remind me of the good old Toonpimp forum days....

Now we lurk with you guys....You should feel honored to have the best forsaken hentai game forum members *sigh*

papnomics

white knights

good times...

Also while i am feeling nostalgic...

Limemarval the father of hentai games must be dead at this point...

-_-"

No offense ;)

OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Its posts like this that remind me of the good old Toonpimp forum days....

Now we lurk with you guys....You should feel honored to have the best forsaken hentai game forum members *sigh*

papnomics

white knights

good times...

Also while i am feeling nostalgic...

Limemarval the father of hentai games must be dead at this point...

-_-"

No offense ;)
Papanomics lives on lol, but is toon still working on games? I haven't been on there for a few years, last I played was Rondo of Ejaculate

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score

Since I've already mentioned earlier that the translation thread uses the English DLSite title.
(Don't think you're the same person who negrep'd me with 'tl;dr posts' like some sort of loser who can't handle arguments, but whatever)

So...update the thread title? Since you've said you have no problem with it.

p.s. Did you take my suggestion on asking your teacher about that particular line? I think it'd be a good learning experience.

shadowman

Lurker
Reputation score

This is seriously the longest bitch fest I've ever seen on this site... Can we get some mod support here?

archedio

Sex Demon
Reputation score

This is seriously the longest bitch fest I've ever seen on this site... Can we get some mod support here?
i ended up reading all of it.. makes my head hurts