What's new

ACT SIM [アイリスフィールド] 素晴らしき国家の築き方 (RJ219681)

OP
H

Harleyquin13

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Kagura numbers their games from 1.00 upon release and increments it on every patch, the numbers are unrelated to the JP release numbers
Makes me wonder why theirs is so buggy. Had a look at the official website and it's now 1.1.0 for the JP version. If the localisation didn't use the latest JP version as a base and/or broke a few things with their language changes, then it's no wonder there are problems.

Yilin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Makes me wonder why theirs is so buggy. Had a look at the official website and it's now 1.1.0 for the JP version. If the localisation didn't use the latest JP version as a base and/or broke a few things with their language changes, then it's no wonder there are problems.
???
They (probably) didn't use the JP v1.0 as the base. They will use the latest version they were given by the dev, which could be 1.2, 1.5. or v100 w/e, but they'll always re-number it back to 1.00 for their own tracking purposes. The JP and localized version won't match version numbers because they're being maintained separately.

Iexist

Reputation score
So, generally speaking, Kagura uses the absolute latest version of a game if at all possible... or they use whatever the developer gives them. At the very least, that was observed with Chevalier Histoire, where the developer themselves basically confirmed that they didn't give Kagura everything. (The Append for that game was not a separate patch) It was also observed with Celesphonia where someone compared the files in the Kagura version with the latest dl-site version and discovered that several bugs people were complaining about were actually present in the JP version as well. I think the only legit bugs that were there were purely translation related, and those were fixed.

What does this mean for this game? Well. Either the Dev did NOT give Kagura the latest version of their game. Why? Who knows? There can be a lot of reasons for that. Or. Kagura screwed up because of the complexity of integrating this game in steam. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the code of such a complex game is total spaghetti. If all they did was translating, that'd be easy. But sorting out this particular mess for steam release may have been too much for them if they didn't have support from the original devs. This isn't RPGM, WolfRPG or Unity. I have NO idea what this IS supposed to be, but the unfamiliar engine likely didn't help.

All in all, I'd have loved if Kagura did a better job with the game. I really would. But. I've seen stuff like the Venus Blood kickstarters where they explained how a huge chunk of money went just in the localization and the "all ages" conversion. I very much doubt Kagura has the coders necessary to tackle all the details if the original devs don't offer appropriate support. .... Or if they're too stupid to ask for that support.

Point is, there was no way that this was gonna be anything other than a complete fuck-up.

OP
H

Harleyquin13

Tentacle God
Reputation score
So it's a choice between original JP game with the patch for the latest version freely available online, or a Steam-encoded localised version that is buggy but decensored for those who really want it.

I've always chosen the former.

Deadwings

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
So it's a choice between original JP game with the patch for the latest version freely available online, or a Steam-encoded localised version that is buggy but decensored for those who really want it.

I've always chosen the former.
You say that as if the localization itself was a small deal. I remember trying to play this devs previous games with machine translators, and "massive pain in the ass" is the only thing I remember from that time. It was that experience that convinced me to stay away from the japanese version of this game.

So, all things considered, I'd rather take my chances with the bugs; decensored CGs being a non-factor as far as I'm concerned.

SoulLess Child

Reputation score
Iexist, it's kind of a combo; unusual engine + some level of spaghetti codes + KG messing up.