What's new

VN/TEXT Active [Anlatan] NovelAI

Renestrae

Devious Succubus
Reputation score
1624176640616.png
is an AI storyteller / text generator that's currently in paid open beta phase.

It works like a collaborative writing exercise: You enter text, press send, and the AI continues your story for you for a couple of sentences. Rinse and repeat.​

You might actually have heard of AIDungeon, NAI's competitor, who recently had multiple scandals/controversies, ranging from a disastrously implemented censorship filter and subsequent accusations of hypocrisy when its finetuning data was analyzed, to major privacy concerns, with the developers openly admitting to accessing user stories. Obviously, users were pissed, and some competitors spawned - enter NovelAI.
Due to the above situation, NAI's core philosophy seems to be privacy. I encourage you to still read the yourself, but they seem to pretty clearly state that the above will not and can not happen to NAI.

NAI's open beta launched on June 16th, and after some hiccups the service seems to be stable now, with devs openly communicating their progress on both and , as well as a .
Due to the costs of hosting and maintaining an AI model, as well as the absence of ads on their site, their service is paid:

Subscription Tiers:
Tablet: 10$ / month​
Scroll: 15$ / month​
Opus: 25$ / month​
For details of what the tiers do, refer to the FAQs on the aforementioned platforms. Also, be aware that "there are currently no plans for a free version of NovelAI at this time".
These tiers should not be confused with tiers though, since Patreon tiers don't give access to the service, they are purely donations to support the devs.
What I will say about the sub tiers is that there are two AI models, with Sigurd being the one to soon replace Calliope for all users. Currently though, Sigurd is an experimental feature for Opus subscribers.

Also please note that despite me posting this in an NSFW context, NAI is openly distancing themselves from user content. This means they are not hosting/promoting it on any official channels. Thus the game is theoretically SFW, although you are obviously free to write whatever you want in your stories, and well, the AI will continue whatever you give it, no matter SFW or NSFW status (the finetuning data even includes some literotica as far as I'm aware). But do keep that in mind when discussing the game elsewhere.

Now some formalities:
Controls are mouse for the UI, and keyboard for writing, although I do remember hearing something about hotkeys.
Fetishes included: pretty much whatever you give it. Mainstream stuff that is likely included in the finetuning data works best ofc, but you can give sort of "stage directions" with the author notes and []-brackets, read up on the or various socials posts on how to optimize your outputs. I've had luck with some very niche stuff that way on Sigurd.

CobraPL

Demon Girl
Reputation score
AI Storytellers are future if adult gaming.
While AID is technically sometimes better than NAI, AID deserves nuking.
So, guys, I recommend NAI, especially after they roll up 20B model or even 150-200B model.
As for NAI, cheaper subscriptions have 2.7B model, which IMHO is almost a trash. Opus tier has "Sigurd" 6B model, which is barely minimum, and still it fail often, especially with multiple characters (like partner swap situation).
I consider subscription for NAI sth like Kickstarter - I invest money to have good product. Project is very young, and considering this factor, it is superb.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Isnt this an ad?
Aren't most of these threads in the GUC section ads? Nothing necessarily wrong with advertising a game, so long as it's spawning discussion.

OP
Renestrae

Renestrae

Devious Succubus
Reputation score
Isnt this an ad?
Totally understand this comment, I did put a little too much effort/faux-OCD into writing this post... But no, I am not affiliated with the devs. I've just been awaiting NAI's release for a while, and after being positively surprised during my limited playtesting so far, I was excited to tell people and I guess get some more discussion on the topic. :D Maybe that also stems from my disappointment in AID, and how much I want its competitors to succeed.
But then again, it could also be argued that ever since the no-link asking rule and OP formalities rule on this forum were put into place, every OP here have been ads, right? They link to places to buy, pictures, description... Unless its a free game, but even then, there's a Patreon most of the time.

AI Storytellers are future if adult gaming.
While AID is technically sometimes better than NAI, AID deserves nuking.
So, guys, I recommend NAI, especially after they roll up 20B model or even 150-200B model.
As for NAI, cheaper subscriptions have 2.7B model, which IMHO is almost a trash. Opus tier has "Sigurd" 6B model, which is barely minimum, and still it fail often, especially with multiple characters (like partner swap situation).
I consider subscription for NAI sth like Kickstarter - I invest money to have good product. Project is very young, and considering this factor, it is superb.
I agree, AI will absolutely revolutionize not just adult gaming, but gaming and life in general even. But for adult gaming in particular, just imagine 5-10 years down the line, an AI storyteller takes your fantasy, turns it into a story, and an artbreeder-type AI draws personalized scenes for you, maybe even animations or whole videos in the future? It'll be crazy I think.
And regarding NAI's output quality, I agree. Sigurd is the one I've been using mostly, and output isn't perfect, yea. But using the [stage directions] gives a sort of control that I didn't have or maybe just didnt know about when playing AID, I gotta say I kind of prefer NAI now. And it's only getting better. Soon Sigurd will be the standard and a new model will be the experimental, I can't wait to see what that'll do.

CobraPL

Demon Girl
Reputation score
>paid subscription for a beta
eeeeeeh...
Well, I can say that at least it is not scam or something. NAI works, Sigurd works quite ok, needs a lot of work. This is maybe one week old (since beta release) project, so expect problems.
UI is already far superior to AID.
Money, work and time. That is what NAI needs.

CobraPL

Demon Girl
Reputation score
PS. Running AI is expensive. An example: running poor 2.7B model requires Something like RTX3060 - per player. Running 6B model probably requires sth like 3090 - per player.
Now, lets be stormed in first few weeks by not paying trial users, including abusers - you need to have a lot of money not to be destroyed by such thing.
AID is loosing money, it just received investment.

OP
Renestrae

Renestrae

Devious Succubus
Reputation score
PS. Running AI is expensive. An example: running poor 2.7B model requires Something like RTX3060 - per player. Running 6B model probably requires sth like 3090 - per player.
Now, lets be stormed in first few weeks by not paying trial users, including abusers - you need to have a lot of money not to be destroyed by such thing.
AID is loosing money, it just received investment.
Can confirm. You can actually try running some AI models that do the same thing on your own hardware, using the (-> ).
You'll quickly find that you need massive amounts of VRAM to even be able to load a decent model, and then the compute time is still massive, on some settings I was waiting over 5 minutes on a high end graphics card that's a couple years out of date, but not that bad. On full load. You can get it to 30s and under easily, but output quality suffers greatly as a result.
And this doesn't take into account the quality of the finetuning data, as well as UI quality, encrypted story backup across account...
So I don't have a problem with the current pricing model, but I do hope more competitors like HoloAI step up and drive up the competition.

Last edited:

CobraPL

Demon Girl
Reputation score
This is my third NTR Module. It is based on 183 HQ NTR short stories (cleaned by me one by one), one ghost story and 47 stories with first time+impregnation.
TAGS: cuckold, NSFW, first time, impregnation.
Source: filtered `GPT-Shinen dataset`, cleaned by me by hand, used online clean tool by ari#9020 , 7000-steps big, process ran by Jahkyah#9412 with 4001 steps config since I have zero steps remaining ;)

Please provide any feedback :)

Attachments