What's new

ACT Patreon Active [Anon42] Crisis Point: Extinction

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
EDIT: Stream's over for the day, thanks to everyone who came by! This'll probably be the last stream this week, but as always, there will be a weekly update post on Sunday detailing what we got done this week, both during and outside of streams.

ORIGINAL: Hey everyone! Today's CPE devstream is about to begin, come on by if you have the time and interest!

Last edited:
OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
(Copy-paste from our weekly Patreon development update post, available here for both Patrons and non-Patrons: )

Hey everybody! Today is Sunday, which means it's time for another weekly CPE development update! This week was the real start of v.32's development, since I got sick after v.31 came out and had to take a while longer to recover, but the good news is we came out of the gate swinging. Let's take a look at everything we got done this week.

First up is the new Blaster Chip type I've been working on, the Auto Shot! This weapon fires a bolt of electricity forward that automatically targets the nearest enemy in a ~90 degree cone. As you can imagine, this makes aiming quite a bit easier, though it comes at the tradeoff of doing reduced damage. The weapon is nowhere near complete, I'm still working on the visuals and it doesn't actually damage enemies yet, but hopefully this'll get you excited to check it out once the update is out! If you want to see the gif in higher quality, you can check it out here:
Screen_105.png
Next up, something small but important. If you'll take a look at the main menu here, you may notice that the Options menu is now available from the main menu as well! While this may not seem like a big deal, it gives players a better chance to mess with their settings and see their controls before actually starting the game, which leads to a smoother first-time experience. I would have done this sooner, but I had to retool a bit of our UI code to make it work first. Another small thing I did this week was adding proper sound effects to the rest of the UI, something I had started but never quite finished, which is why only some menus had sounds. We're still missing a few sounds for the UI, but our UI guy should have 'em done by the time this update comes out.
Screen_106.png
Last, something a lot of people have been asking for - difficulty options! As I've been redesigning Crisis Point and making it an overall more challenging game (boss fights especially), I've gotten some complaints about the difficulty - some people don't have access to a gamepad as well, and with how complex our control scheme is, the keyboard controls don't come naturally to most, which makes it even more difficult to deal with. Difficulty selection has been something I've wanted to add for a while now, and this week I managed to get it mostly finished up, all it needs now is more testing and tweaking.
To go into a bit more detail on our difficulty options, the main two things that are scaled based on difficulty is enemy damage, enemy reaction times/speed, and player healing. We DO NOT scale enemy HP or player damage based on difficulty, as I believe that making enemies take longer to kill on higher difficulties is often a poor design choice. Instead, enemies will have more or less downtime between attacks on Easy and Hard respectively, and will do less or more damage with their attacks (roughly 60% and 150%). Additionally, all healing effects are doubled in Easy mode, and on Hard mode, having sex with enemies does not heal you. This allows me to keep a similar game experience on all difficulties, with the main design change being that mistakes become less or more punishing depending on your difficulty. I may make additional tweaks in the future, but as of right now that's the extent of what our difficulties do.

Aside from my work, Orexius has been working on more cutscene-specific animations, mostly for the cutscenes from last update. Once he's finished with that, he'll be working on some small animations for each enemy's stagger state, so they won't just be red hitboxes anymore when you stagger them, such as with the Force Shot or a melee attack. LustFire has also started working on the remaining CG reworks, you can see him pop into our stream every once in a while to stream with us, where he switches between working on Crisis Point and working on his own game.

Alright, that's it for this week's update, thanks for reading! As usual, we plan on streaming on Tuesday and Thursday at around 1 pm EST, unless something comes up, so if you have any interest in watching us work, see if you can make it! See you next update!
-A42

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
EDIT: Stream's over for today, went for 7 hours and got a lot done! Next stream will be Thursday at 1 pm EST, as usual. Hope to see you all there!

ORIGINAL: Hey everybody! Today's CPE devstream is beginning in a few minutes, come on by if you have the time!

Last edited:
OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
EDIT: Stream's over for the day, sorry for the short one but I'm feelin' more tired than usual today. Still got some good stuff done though, and don't forget we'll be posting an update on Sunday detailing everything we worked on this week!

ORIGINAL: Hey everyone! Today's CPE devstream is about to begin, come on by if you have the time and interest!

Last edited:
OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
(Copy-paste from our !)

(Higher quality video here: )

Hey there everyone! Time for another weekly CPE development update! This week I've got a fair few things to show off, so let's get right into it!
First off is the video above, showing off some cutscene animations Orexius has been working on! Like I mentioned when the last update came out, I want to try and make the cutscenes in CPE feel more lively, which means having more character animation. Many animations will be shared across multiple cutscenes, but some of them will be unique to individual cutscenes as well, it all depends on what's needed. Here you can see Orex has added a few animations to the cutscene where Alicia meets Rodriguez for the first time - namely, he actually holds an item out (accompanied by a little shine effect by yours truly) and she grabs it from him. We have plans for a bunch of little animations like these, though only a handful of them will be present in this update - it's something we'll be adding to gradually as the game gets further in development.

Next up is some new visual stuff. I decided to do away with the "slightly different colored blocks" in the Caves - the original intention was to hide secrets with them, but I rarely used them in the first place and even with my best attempts to make it easy to figure out, some players would still get stuck here for a bit without realizing you could break them. So I decided to give them a completely different (and slightly animated) visual style, to make it clear that you can interact with them in some way, and I'll be using them more throughout the Caves because of it. I'm still tweaking the animation a bit, since I think it looks a bit stiff, but I'm really happy with the way the visuals came out overall!

Next up is the second boss's beam attack. I kept forgetting about this, so it's just been a plain red visible hitbox for a while now, and I wanted to fix that this update. I still want to tweak the effect a bit and see if I can make it look smoother around his eye rather than having a hard cutoff, but for the most part it's looking much better!

Lastly, we have the (almost) complete Auto Shot. As you can see it's actually dealing damage now, and the visuals have quite a bit more polish, though it still needs a few additional effects to cap it off. It looks especially cool with the Tri Shot trigger type, but you can see that for yourself when the update drops ;)

That's all of the visually exciting stuff for this update! Aside from all that, I spent the week working on level design, implementing more sound effects, and beginning to hide secrets around the game world. A lot of the current collectibles that are just hanging out in the open will be getting moved eventually to hide behind those secrets, as well as challenge areas or puzzles - what fun is a Metroidvania without secret hunting, after all? Naturally, I don't plan on disclosing any of the secrets here on Patreon, though you might be able to find me working on them during some streams.

Orexius spent the week working on cutscene animations, like the ones shown above. Once he's finished with the one he's working on now, he'll be working on stagger animations for the enemies who need them (so they aren't just visible hitboxes during those animations), and then working on more H-scenes (both reworks and new ones).

LustFire is working on finishing up the Soldier CG rework, which is probably the most involved one of the bunch. It should be done pretty soon though.

And that's about it! To be honest, I'm not sure we'll be able to deliver the update this month - that stomach bug a while ago set me back a lot more than I had hoped, but I'm still going to gun for a release as quickly as we can, hopefully we'll either barely make it for October or at the very least early November. It shouldn't be a large delay in any case, but I wanted to let you all know ahead of time.

Just a heads up that we might not be able to stream this week - and if we do, they probably won't be at our usual times. Orex's dayjob has some odd hours this week, and since we plan our streams around his off days, it's going to interfere with those. If we do stream, I won't be able to announce them ahead of time like usual, so if you're interested in watching, make sure to keep an eye out! Thank you all so much for your support, and I hope you have a fantastic day!
-A42

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
You've got it all looking real slick now, I especially like the little environmental features like the living "grass" in the caves. That 2nd boss level looks way more fun than its original iteration, but I did prefer that it was set in an almost crypt-like ruin instead of outdoors, even if it did make its attacks really difficult to see. Now that it's a brighter color that might not be such a problem. A good compromise would be background and foreground elements that look like the ruined walls of something that once contained the boss, so as to not disrupt its layout for gameplay reasons. That's just me though.
The last version of the game I played, the newest enemy was the hound things (Unless I'm just imagining things now). Have there been any more since then, and how many more are planned?
Regarding cutscenes/dialog, to make it more cohesive with the rest of the UI, it could have its own little box and font - I imagine that's already planned or in progress already. What I want to suggest to go along with the text, is a picture of the speaking character's head, with a 2-3-frame animation of their mouth flapping, maybe even tilting and swaying like Hotline Miami to make it that much more visually interesting.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
You've got it all looking real slick now, I especially like the little environmental features like the living "grass" in the caves. That 2nd boss level looks way more fun than its original iteration, but I did prefer that it was set in an almost crypt-like ruin instead of outdoors, even if it did make its attacks really difficult to see. Now that it's a brighter color that might not be such a problem. A good compromise would be background and foreground elements that look like the ruined walls of something that once contained the boss, so as to not disrupt its layout for gameplay reasons. That's just me though.
The last version of the game I played, the newest enemy was the hound things (Unless I'm just imagining things now). Have there been any more since then, and how many more are planned?
Regarding cutscenes/dialog, to make it more cohesive with the rest of the UI, it could have its own little box and font - I imagine that's already planned or in progress already. What I want to suggest to go along with the text, is a picture of the speaking character's head, with a 2-3-frame animation of their mouth flapping, maybe even tilting and swaying like Hotline Miami to make it that much more visually interesting.
Thanks, glad you like all the extra touches we've been working on!

With the second boss, I'm trying to avoid putting anything in the fight that would lower visibility - the fight itself is already very busy, with the boss's attacks, the pillars that come up underneath you intermittently, and in the final phases those pillars create orbs that shoot projectiles at you. The decision to move him outdoors was largely to prevent that, and since the tar pillars have a telegraph at your feet, even a bit of clutter in the environment could risk reducing visibility of those. I get where you're coming from, but I chose function over form for the fight's background this time and I plan on keeping it that way.

There are no new enemies yet, no - we've been focusing exclusively on the rework, which I think I mentioned recently is nearing completion - there's still lots of stuff we want to rework, but we're nearing a point where I'm satisfied enough to stop focusing on the rework and get back to a healthier balance of new and reworked content. Also, since I'm not sure if you knew, the Hellhound enemy was removed from the game completely due to Patreon's ToS banning bestiality. We'll be replacing it with a new enemy that has the same functionality but a completely new visual design, which will likely happen soon since we're nearing the end of the rework. As far as more enemies that are planned, we're going to roughly double our current enemy count by the time Crisis Point is done - we're aiming for 15 total H-able enemies, and we have 7 right now without the Hellhound, not including bosses.

With the cutscenes, I do plan on having its own dialogue box and UI eventually; it used to, but the old visual didn't fit the new UI design so I just opted for a temporary plain black box instead. I'm still deciding what I want to do with that, though - part of me is tempted to just use an outlined font and not have any sort of UI element at all, I'll probably experiment. As far as portraits go, I have to definitely say no - I've considered it plenty, we even had portraits in older versions of the game when Alicia and Dummy would talk, but instead of portraits or VN-styled artwork we've now opted to go with animated sprites in cutscenes. As you can see from the scene in my last post, actions such as Rodriguez handing Alicia an item are fully sprite animated rather than just implied, and I don't want to give the player too many things to focus on during cutscenes - subtitles, sprite animations, AND portraits would definitely be too much.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
( )

(High quality video of the above gif here: )

Hey everybody! Another week, another weekly update! Unfortunately I don't have a huge amount to show off this week as much of what I did is behind-the-scenes stuff, but that doesn't mean nothing got done, so let's dive into it.

First off, as you can see in the gif above, is a new bullet type! Aptly titled the Seeker Shot, it chases down enemies after being fired in short, saccadic movements. It doesn't do a terribly high amount of damage per hit, and you can't shoot it if there are already Seeker Shot projectiles in play, but it stays out on the field longer than any other bullet, acts passively without any extra effort from Alicia's part, and functions in some interesting ways with the different trigger types (for instance, the Rapid Shot trigger makes it pause for shorter amounts of time between each movement). It's not a particularly effective primary weapon, but as Alicia can equip two blaster chip sets at any given time, it acts as a great secondary! You might have to put in some extra effort to find it though, as unlike most current upgrades, it won't be sitting out in the open.

That's all the visual stuff I have to show you for this week, but fret not, for progress was still made elsewhere - namely in dialogue! Last update we had a total of 3 cutscenes and 3 environmental dialogues. This update, we don't have any new cutscenes (as I've mentioned before we're aiming for only a few of them to avoid breaking the pace of gameplay), but we've nearly quadrupled the environmental dialogues, with 8 new conversations, making for a total of 11! The update's not even out yet, so who knows - maybe there will be some more before we finish up? Aside from that, I also spent some time redesigning more rooms, planning future content, and doing some minor bug testing/fixing.

Orexius and LustFire weren't able to do much this week, as they were both occupied elsewhere - Orexius by his dayjob's weird hours and some stuff happening IRL, and LustFire was on vacation.

Well, that's about it for this weekly update. Sorry it's a bit on the smaller side - hopefully we should be back to normal this week and able to stream again, but I can't say that with confidence, as Orex is still dealing with some IRL stuff. Because of that I'm not going to have an official streaming schedule again - we'll try to stream at the usual times if we can, but no guarantees yet.

As always, thank you all so very much for your support, you guys are amazing! I'll see you in the next update!
-A42

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
(Copy-paste from our weekly, public update post on ! Check it out and consider supporting us if you like what you see!)

Hey everyone! Sorry this post is a bit late, and also that this will be a pretty brief post with not much to show off - we ended up having guests that I didn't know about staying at our house for part of the week, and I wasn't able to work as much as usual because of it. On top of that, Orexius is still dealing with IRL stuff, so he didn't have much time to work at all. Because of that, I may have to delay the update a little longer than anticipated - I still think it'll come out in the first half of November at least, but I don't think we'll make it for October. Enough about that, though - let's get into it!

Screen_9.png
First off, one of the biggest things I worked on this week was beginning to populate Crisis Point's world with small, single-room challenges (like the one above), many of which require the upgrades you find throughout the game. Some will be combat challenges, some puzzles, some platforming - think what you would find in any other Metroidvania like Guacamelee or Super Metroid. Up until now, most of the collectibles in Crisis Point (like blaster chips or skill points) have been out in plain sight and all you have to do is find them, but going forward a lot of them will be hidden in challenge rooms or in other various ways only the keen of eye will find.

Second, I added another bullet type this week. The visual effects are extremely WIP at the moment and there are several more effects I want to add on top of them, but here's an early look at it.
Screen_8.png
This bullet type is called the Vampire Shot (might change that name though). Functionally, it's much like the normal bullet type you start the game with - however, shooting it will cost Alicia some of her HP. She cannot shoot when her health is too low, so there's no concerns of it killing you outright. In exchange for this, though, it deals significantly more damage than other bullet types - and if you do hit an enemy with it, part of the HP spent shooting it will be restored. Not as much as was spent on it initially, but it certainly makes it more sustainable.
Aside from those two things, I spent more time bugfixing this week, checking off some of the more notable problems introduced in the last few versions, like the infamous burning enemy H-scene crash, as well as some softlocking bugs that have been around for a while.

That's the extent of the major things we got done this week. Sorry again that it's a shorter post, and for the possible delay - I'll do my best to make sure this update kicks ass to make up for it. Really hoping that things will get back to normal this week and we can start doing regular streams again and such, I'll keep you updated on that front. In the meantime, thanks so much for your support, everybody - see you all in the next update!
-A42

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
(Copy-paste from our Patreon update today, where v.32 was just released for $10+ Patrons! )

Hey everyone! Sorry I didn't post an update yesterday at the usual time, but I had a busy day and I was so close to finishing the update I wanted to just hold off until I could. Now, though, v.32 is officially finished and available for download! As always, I'll be posting the download link to $10+ Patrons after this post, so that the update information can be public, as well as messaging the link to anyone who pledged at the $10 tier or higher during the development of v.32. Let's get into it, shall we?

v.32 MAJOR CHANGES
-New, updated CG artwork added for Warped Soldier CG scene
-Difficulty selection added when starting a New Game (Easy, Normal, Hard)
-Handful of secrets/challenge rooms added around the game, with more to come in the future
-3 blaster chip types added (Auto Shot, Seeker Shot, Siphon Shot)
-8 new environmental conversations added, bringing the total up to 11
-Some rooms in the Caves and Summit have been updated with new level design
-Options menu can now be accessed from the main menu, allowing the player to change their settings BEFORE playing
-Unique animations added in various cutscenes to make characters feel more alive during them

That's all of the biggest changes that happened in this update; as always, the minor stuff will be listed at the end of this post. Right now, I'm extremely focused on trying to finish The Great Rework, so I apologize for the lack of new content in this update and the next one. My main goal right now is pushing to get new content back on the menu, and to try and get a public demo out so that we can hopefully get our Patreon numbers up and Orexius can start working on CPE full time. I cannot stress how much of an increase it would be in our general productivity; since we live close to each other, whenever he has a day off we can meet up and work together in person, which is when we stream together. That's why we only stream twice a week, since he has his dayjob every other day, but streams are when our productivity is at its highest, so being able to stream together almost every day would be nuts. Enough about that though, let's move on to our goals for v.33 shall we?

UPDATE v.33 GOALS
-Finish The Great Rework™
-Implement more challenge rooms and secret collectibles around the game
-Add in more environmental dialogues
-Continue reworking older H-scenes, possibly add new H-scenes
-Finish reworking and updating older CG artwork
-Rework the level design of earlier areas where necessary to make exploration more interesting and difficult
-Prepare a new public demo with about the same amount of content as v.13 (ending after the 2nd boss)

As you can see this next update looks a lot like the previous one. The main reason for that is that I really want to focus a few of these things down, like hiding secrets around the game, adding more conversations, and generally just polishing up that early chunk of the game to a radiant shine in preparation for a public demo. Ideally, after this update, I want the beginning chunk of the game to be at a point where I never have to touch it again, or at least where future changes will be pretty minor in comparison, which is why one of the goals this update is to FINISH The Great Rework™. Not to say we're going to be done reworking things forever, that's just not how game development works, but I want to get a healthier balance of reworking things and creating new content after this.

There probably won't be any streams this week, just so everyone knows - I'm going to be taking a short break to enjoy my birthday week, and plan things on the sidelines before diving into v.33 development. Starting next week, I'm going to be trying to stream at least twice a week, whether or not Orexius is available (though hopefully he will be now that he's done with his IRL stuff).

Until then, thank you all so much for your endless generosity and support. Crisis Point is finally back on track and I cannot wait to start making real forward momentum again, I haven't been this excited for our future in a long time. Thanks so much for sticking with us, everybody - can't wait to show you what the future of CPE holds!
-A42

UPDATE v.32 MINOR CHANGES
-Audio levels now load properly based on your previous session when you load into the game
-Boss 2's Tar Rain sound has been made quieter
-Fixed a handful of minor bugs that caused music volume to be inconsistent after/during certain events
-Fixed a bug causing audio levels to max out again irrespective of the player's audio settings after an environmental conversation played
-Certain environmental dialogues (specifically ones that are very limited, like boss fight dialogues) now cancel other dialogues if they're active when the higher-priority dialogue tries to start
-Fixed a bug where environmental dialogue ending would remove a buffered Jump input, causing extremely rare situations of the game "eating" your jumps
-Player can now no longer make the 2nd boss shrink faster by continuing to shoot him after he starts his death animation
-Boss 2 could not die during the Tar Rain phase; this has been fixed
-Environmental dialogues can no longer activate in the middle of boss fights (unless they're specifically for that boss)
-Fixed issue where non-piercing bullets could sometimes hit Boss 2's eye multiple times in one shot
-Implemented rough stagger animations for each enemy that can be staggered, so they're no longer plain hitboxes when staggering
-Dashing under a low ceiling no longer causes the player's head to become visually stuck in the ceiling, and instead forces Alicia into a crouch as expected
-Boss 2's arena in the Summit now connects to the map properly
-Major cutscenes are now skippable by holding the Pause or Escape keys
-Fixed a minor bug where Alicia's vertical speed continued for 1 frame after the player dashes, rather than stopping instantly
-Enemies should no longer be able to catch on fire during an H-scene, so H-scene Flare Shot crashes should no longer happen
-Walking into the shortcut room from the Summit to Caves, even from the wrong end, automatically moved the pillar blocking the shortcut. Now it must be moved properly.
-Added some text to Birch after the first boss fight, to clarify that the player should explore more using the Force Shot despite Birch telling Alicia to come back to camp
-Masturbating while under a low ceiling no longer causes Alicia to stand up, which allowed you to walk and jump, the latter of which would get you stuck in the ceiling, softlocking the game
-Changed colors used in the game's map and minimap to better represent the areas' color schemes
-Fixed an issue where, if the player stayed in a room with a dialogue trigger until the dialogue was finished, then touched the dialogue trigger again, game audio would permanently dim as if dialogue was playing despite no dialogue being present
-Doors no longer play their "opening" sound effect multiple times if hit by multiple bullets in the same frame
-New visuals added to destructible environment blocks, instead of having slightly different colored versions of normal blocks
-Swapped the locations of a Skill Piece and Health Upgrade Piece, to make at least 1 Skill Point obtainable before fighting the first boss
-Moved/removed/added several Skill Pieces, Health Upgrade Pieces, and other upgrades around the game
-Added proper visuals and sound effect for Boss 2's tarbeam attack
-Numerous sound effects added around the game
-Raised minimum and maximum damage of Charge Shot (min from 0.5 to 0.75, max from 2.5x to 3x (charge time is the same))
-Fixed numerous instances of misplaced or missized collision boxes in the Catacombs that lead to things such as bone platforms being larger than they appear, or dashing against ceiling slopes causing you to stop moving
-Attempted fix for crash during Boss 2, haven't been able to replicate said crash so not sure if it fixed or not
-Fixed bug with Boss 2 where the laser beam would sometimes hit Alicia if she was standing on the ground, even if it didn't visually touch her
-Fixed minor visual bug in the Status menu
-Fixed some lingering issues with the Debug menu's HP changing options
-Fixed bug where arrows in Debug menu were not lighting up when that menu option was selected
-Fixed bug where certain menus would still allow you to move up and/or down after selecting a menu option that should hold the cursor in place

kiko

aka the Asian rapper Kikkoman Flowsauce
Reputation score
Ohh, it's finally coming. Can't wait :D

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Bestiality was one of the things explicitly banned when Patreon's ToS changed a while back. Hellhounds were removed because of that, they'll be replaced with a new enemy design in the future.

Soljer13

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Bestiality was one of the things explicitly banned when Patreon's ToS changed a while back. Hellhounds were removed because of that, they'll be replaced with a new enemy design in the future.
Since the hellhounds appeared in the catacombs, I suggest some sort of jellyfish, and we can chalk it up to them being semi-incorporeal. Im pretty sure some creatively designed jellyfish enemy would pass ToS. Think super metroid Phantoon.

ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score
So why not re-add it in, and any other bestiality designs you wanted to use, on the final release after you're done with Patreon? It'd be nice to open the game and be completely surprised at a whole new category of enemies.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Probably because he'd like to use patreon for future projects, and they're not dumb, they've most likely got clauses in their T.O.S. that prevent subversion of their rules in such a manner.

Also it's not just a switch you can flip to turn the enemies back on, he's gotta put the assets back in the game and would have to re-balance the enemy layouts.

Just saying there are things people typically don't consider when asking a dev for something like this.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Since the hellhounds appeared in the catacombs, I suggest some sort of jellyfish, and we can chalk it up to them being semi-incorporeal. Im pretty sure some creatively designed jellyfish enemy would pass ToS. Think super metroid Phantoon.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already know exactly what I'm going to be replacing the Hellhound with, we're just focused on the early parts of the game right now so we can get a new public demo out. After this update the Hellhound replacement will be near the top of my priorities list, since we're going to be creating new content again.

So why not re-add it in, and any other bestiality designs you wanted to use, on the final release after you're done with Patreon? It'd be nice to open the game and be completely surprised at a whole new category of enemies.
Basically what super_slicer said. Adding the enemy back is not just a simple switch to toggle, and frankly I'm not as attached to one regular enemy design as everybody else seems to think I am - in fact, re-adding the Hellhound would mean removing whatever new enemy I put work into, while just giving me more work because I'll have to make sure everything Hellhound is finished to whatever our final quality standards are, which is actually impossible to do because Alicia's voice actress isn't comfortable doing bestiality work so any Hellhound or other bestiality-enemy CGs added would end up being unvoiced. Not to mention, like super_slicer said, the possibility of Patreon deciding that I was working on that content while making money on Patreon and banning me, which is not something I'm even willing to consider risking. Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean any offense by it, but I've had a hundred people try and convince me to re-add the Hellhound later and I'm honestly just really tired of the discussion at this point, so I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't push the matter any further

ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score
Basically what super_slicer said. Adding the enemy back is not just a simple switch to toggle, and frankly I'm not as attached to one regular enemy design as everybody else seems to think I am - in fact, re-adding the Hellhound would mean removing whatever new enemy I put work into, while just giving me more work because I'll have to make sure everything Hellhound is finished to whatever our final quality standards are, which is actually impossible to do because Alicia's voice actress isn't comfortable doing bestiality work so any Hellhound or other bestiality-enemy CGs added would end up being unvoiced. Not to mention, like super_slicer said, the possibility of Patreon deciding that I was working on that content while making money on Patreon and banning me, which is not something I'm even willing to consider risking. Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean any offense by it, but I've had a hundred people try and convince me to re-add the Hellhound later and I'm honestly just really tired of the discussion at this point, so I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't push the matter any further
Ah that's fair.

Also whatever happened to that old blue demon debug enemy? Is it going to be introduced later or did you scrap the idea?

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
(Copy-paste from our If you like what you see, )

Hey everybody! Now that I've had a bit of a break from work, it's time to get back to regular weekly CPE updates! Before I begin, apologies for not streaming much this week - honestly I just wasn't really feeling up for it, but plenty of work got done regardless, so hopefully you'll forgive me for that one!

First off this week is the new Tar animations for the Summit. Many people have pointed out that some tar in the upper areas of the Summit flowed the wrong way, but that wasn't all - it was just a static image shifted to look like it was flowing, rather than having any sort of proper animation. This week I decided to take the time to actually properly animate the tar, as you can see up above, with several different pieces for flowing downward, flowing down and splitting into left/right when it hits the ground, flowing left, flowing right, and flowing over ledges. It may be a small touch, but it makes the area look much more complete if you ask me. You can see a higher quality version of the gif above here:

Screen_127.png
Next up is the ingame sprite gallery! The ingame gallery is essentially identical to the standalone gallery that $5 Patrons get access to, with the exception that boss H-scenes are not available there (you can talk to Birch to view those instead). You can enter the H-scene gallery by interacting with the door pictured up above, at which point it'll take you to the room pictured below:
Screen_128.png
The rooms work just like the $5 standalone gallery, where you can interact with enemies (after you capture them) and control the H-scene, switching between normal and BE versions and duo/trio scenes at will. You can access rooms with other enemies by going left or right, and you can leave at any time by interacting with the door in the middle again.

Next up is the new Wire Ride graphics! It's kinda hard to see with the low quality gif there, so I suggest taking a closer look here:
I've been wanting to update the art on those for a while, as the old art was extremely temporary and not particularly attractive. Now it looks much more complete, and with a bit of animation to boot. I really need to add these to more areas of the game, it's tragically underutilized at the moment.

Screen_126.png
Lastly, we have the new font for dialogue as well as other things. I've gotten reports in the past of typos in the game's dialogue, and so far luckily none of them were actually typos - just the old non-pixel font looking ugly and making it seem like there were missing letters or punctuation. Now we have a legit pixel font instead, which not only avoids the problem of text appearing to be missing in odd cases, but also suits the game's pixel art presentation much better.

Alright, that's all I've got to show off this week! I've also done a handful of bug fixes and Orexius has finished detailing every enemy's stagger animation, so v.33 development is proceeding smoothly so far. I REALLY want to finish it before the end of the year, along with the new public demo, though with the sheer size of this update it'll be a rough task to say the least. I hope you'll all forgive me if development on this one ends up going a bit longer than the last - I think my to-do list is at least double that of the last update, which was already a decent size.

I'll be trying once again to stream this week - hopefully I'll be more up to it and we can get some huge productivity going. I won't schedule them ahead of time this round, so keep an eye out here if you're interested in streaming - I'll try to notify everyone ahead of time if I can. Thank you all so much for your support - CPE has really gotten back on track these last few months, and I'm getting real excited about what the future holds for us! See you in the next update!
-A42