What's new

ACT Patreon Active [Anon42] Crisis Point: Extinction

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
(The following is (mostly) a copy-paste from our ! If you like what you see, )

Hey everybody, time for another weekly update! Not a lot of visual stuff happened this week, so this update will be a bit lighter than last week's, but we still got a lot done. Without further ado, let's get into it!

Old

New

First off, we have the Deep Soil layout rework. As you can see from the comparison, only a handful of rooms are being left alone - the vast majority of the Deep Soil (including the dreaded tall room with the scientists) has been completely removed, in favor of a new, less compact layout focused around 2 tall rooms. Keep in mind this is only draft 1 of the Deep Soil rework - I don't expect to change the new room layouts too much, as I have a nice plan for the way the player will go through these rooms, but there will likely be more rooms added to fill in gaps, or slight changes in room sizes/connection points and such. I tried to design the new layout in such a way that it won't be as easy to "miss the objective", as it were - in the old Deep Soil, there was one point in particular where you had to pull down 3 totems in a room to allow progression in another room, but if you didn't realize you had to pull them down and went past them, you would be unable to go back to them unless you went all the way back around again. In the new layout, the totems have been removed from our plans completely, as they didn't really fit thematically, and the puzzles weren't particularly interesting - instead, we have some new mechanics, one of which involves the Poison Alraune from last post. Speaking of her..

We're holding a second poll for her color scheme on Patreon! If you have an account, you should be able to vote on it here, even if you aren't pledged to us:
Sorry to hold ANOTHER poll about her color scheme, but after realizing we didn't have a teal hair/pink leggings option, we decided to make some alterations to the colors AND her design (in the form of kinkier lingerie), and hold a second poll! Last time, we narrowed down that most people weren't really into the green leggings, so I decided to scrap those this time around and focus on the pink and teal lingerie. In addition, we've recolored the "teal" hair a bit to be more of a white/very light blue, which I think plays nicer with the rest of the colors. Orexius also whipped up a new idle pose for her, which will be her final pose ingame. Sorry again to hold another poll about the same thing, but if you wouldn't mind leaving your vote (and maybe a comment about it if you feel like it), I'd really appreciate it!

Alright, that's all I've got for you guys this week. My personal focus is 100% on the Deep Soil rework right now - since the layout has changed completely, I'll need to finish all of it before this update can come out, so I want to make sure that happens as soon as possible. I'll be honest with you guys, I don't think the update will come out this month - the rework is a bit more ambitious than I originally thought it would be, since there's some new mechanics and ideas that need to be developed for it. I'll keep you all updated on how it's coming though, and I fully expect to be able to release it in July at the latest. I'll still be aiming for a June release if possible, of course.

As always, thank you all so much for your support, and for continuing to follow Crisis Point: Extinction's development! I'll see all you beautiful people in the next update <3
-A42

Last edited:

Inspector_Whatsup

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Seeing the changes now, I realize how much the many small rooms in Deep Soil actually annoyed me. I don't mind tight navigation and maze-like structures, but Deep Soil kinda hit my upper patience limit. Not enough to actually put me off, but enough to make me dislike the place.
Now I'm really curious to see how your new approach will affect the feel of Deep Soil and the atmosphere!

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Seeing the changes now, I realize how much the many small rooms in Deep Soil actually annoyed me. I don't mind tight navigation and maze-like structures, but Deep Soil kinda hit my upper patience limit. Not enough to actually put me off, but enough to make me dislike the place.
Now I'm really curious to see how your new approach will affect the feel of Deep Soil and the atmosphere!
Yeah, I too felt it was a bit problematic to navigate the area.

As for that poll it wants me to sign in or sign in with facebook so I'll just say white hair and teal lingerie. Really like her new design by the way, like a plant dark-elf.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
(The following is a copy-paste from our If you like what you see, )

Hey everybody, time for another Crisis Point: Extinction development update! This was a bit of a slow week, as far as things to show off goes - most of my effort this week was spent implementing new mechanics for the Deep Soil and working on the level redesign, so there's not too much to see. I would like to go over a few things, though, so let's get started!

First off, one of the new mechanics I'm implementing - Coiled Vines. As you can see they're still using temporary art right now, but the function is very much there! By shooting a Coiled Vine in the environment, the vine will uncurl and create a sloped ramp for Alicia to run up. This required a small update to our collision engine, to make sloped "ghost platforms" (platforms you can jump up through) work properly, but overall I'm very happy with the outcome! Because of the collision updates, I should also be able to use ghost ramps in other areas of the game now too, which will allow me even more freedom when designing levels.

Anyway, the other thing to note with these Coiled Vines is that they won't be usable when you first enter the Deep Soil. The presence of Poison Alraunes will have caused certain plants to wilt, including these vines, and so Alicia will have to hunt down the Poison Alraunes infecting an area before she'll be able to use those platforms. While we're on the subject of Poison Alraunes, I want to mention that we won't have enough time this update cycle to implement new animations/attacks for them, so they'll function identically to regular Alraunes for now, just with some beefed up stats. In the future, I plan on giving them more attacks, unique H-scenes and a unique CG, as well as altered combat animations to help differentiate them further from regular Alraunes.

Next thing I wanted to show today was our progress on the Deep Soil rework. The chart above shows our progress on each room - the bright green rooms are completed (though some of them are missing tiles, which Puffernutter has been helping me with, so I expect them all to be fully retiled by the time the update comes out), while the dark green rooms haven't been designed yet. The grey areas are ones that Alicia won't even be able to access yet, so while I do have plans for them, they haven't been implemented yet and won't be for a while.

As you can see we've made some excellent progress, and I expect to be done with the Deep Soil rework by next weekend! Once that's done I can move on to our next large project, which is implementing more NPCs and cutscenes. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets pushed back to a later update yet again - finishing the whole thing I have in mind will be a biiiig undertaking, so if it does make it into this update, there will definitely be cut corners, and it'll likely end up being similar to the human encampment where I gradually add to it and flesh it out throughout development, rather than all at once.

Last quick thing I wanted to mention in this update is that I plan on adding some more features to the $30 tier, in the form of a downloadable lossless .FLAC version of Crisis Point's OST! This'll be the only place the soundtrack is available in lossless format, so if you're a fan of the soundtrack and you like your audio high-quality, you won't want to miss it. I plan on implementing that part of the tier as soon as it's ready, so keep an eye out.

Anyway, that's about all I have for ya this week! I'm sorry I didn't actually get around to doing any streams like I wanted to - anxiety got the better of me I'm afraid - but I still fully intend to start streaming again! Now that things have settled back to normal around my place, I want to get back into a regular streaming schedule sooner rather than later. Streams will likely start at around 1 pm EST, though I don't have dates planned yet - I'll get back to you guys on that as soon as I have 'em, but for now if you're interested in viewing them, you can follow me at to get notifications when I stream. Thank you all for reading, and for continuing to support the development of Crisis Point: Extinction!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody! This is a pretty light update post (again, sorry), we'll mostly be going over the state of the Deep Soil rework and my plans for finishing up v0.35. I'll also be posting a teaser of the Warped Scientist CG rework, which Kuso just recently finished, so you'll have an idea of what to look forward to when the update rolls around!

In last week's post, which I didn't post anywhere but Patreon (sorry, but it was a very small update just talking about the sudden sickness I got and explaining that not a lot was done because of it), I mentioned we weren't quite done with the Deep Soil rework yet, as my sudden sickness had prevented me from finishing it up. Well, I'm feeling much better now, so this week (while resting to make sure I was well and truly better), I focused entirely on finishing up the level design for the Deep Soil rework, which is now complete! The area is fully navigable now, though there are a lot of polish additions I want to do, like adding effects to show you're in a Poison Alraune-affected area, creating proper animation and art for the coiled vines, writing and recording some dialogue for the area, and more. In light of that, if it's alright with everyone, I'm going to aim for a release date around mid-July and focus mostly on polishing up the Deep Soil so it's in a more complete state! There are still some Deep Soil things I won't be able to do for this update, since they'll require more work than we have time for, but I want to improve it as much as I can for the time being. I know this means the update will be late by about two weeks, and I apologize for that, but I'd rather delay it and improve the update as much as possible rather than leaving it in a state of half completion.

Anyway, I don't have much else to share at the moment. The overall layout didn't really change from the last time I posted an image of it, so you can refer to that for an overview of how navigating the Deep Soil might look - and just to confirm for anyone who was wondering, yes, the tall room with the Scientists and the Cumshooters is officially gone ; ) For now though, I'll leave you with this teaser of Kuso's new Scientist CG. See you guys in next week's update!

Last edited:
OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
(The following is (mostly) a copy-paste from our If you like what you see, )

Hey everybody, time for another weekly update! I'm a lil tired today so I'm gonna keep this short and sweet - v0.35 is trucking along nicely, and I think we should be able to release mid-July as mentioned before.

I don't think I've outright stated this, so just fyi, I decided to shelve adding more rooms to the Catacombs for one more update, because of the sheer amount of work we had to put into the Deep Soil rework - we also didn't get around to working on the new cutscenes/NPCs in the Summit yet for the same reason. My apologies to anyone who was looking forward to those things, but the Deep Soil rework has taken up pretty much all of my attention. The good news is that it'll be basically fully finished after this update, aside from a few things we'll be adding in the future, so we won't be stretching it out into multiple updates for once!

I do want to mention one specific thing, the Deep Soil boss fight - I plan on moving her fight further into the game, so you won't actually fight her the first time you go to the Deep Soil. For now, I plan on putting her in a TEMPORARY room within the Deep Soil, so you can still access the fight, but there won't be any rewards for it aside from getting her H-scene, since it's going to be a very temporary setup, I just don't want to remove her from the game completely until it's time to put her in for real.

Anyway, on to the actual update!

First off, here's a shot of the special effect that covers the screen when you enter a Poison Alraune affected area. It's very simple, but I'm really happy with how this effect came out, although I can't help but feel like it makes the regular Deep Soil look a bit plain now! Might have to see about sprucing up the backgrounds with some light animated layers in the future..

And here's the loop for the Lurker enemy's Breast Expansion H-scene, which will be in this update as well. I know some of you have been asking for some ATWT action, so hopefully this will satisfy ya!

Aside from working on those effects, I also spent time this week getting over some writers block so I could write new dialogue for the Deep Soil, which is currently being recorded by our lovely VAs - there's a total of 4 new conversations in the Deep Soil right now, and I plan on finishing up the current Bestiary entries too, so there will hopefully be some fun stuff to read there if that's what you're into. I also finished up implementing some of the technical stuff for the Deep Soil to work properly, like allowing the Poison Alraune's presence to stop Coiled Vines from working, saving/loading new world state variables, etc. All the behind the scenes stuff that's not too interesting but keeps the game going as intended. I've also been working with our musician to get those .FLAC files ready for the $30 tier (sorry it's taking a while), and Kuso is still working hard at replacing more CGs. The next one he's working on is a fan favorite, so I hope you're looking forward to it!

Anyway, that's about all I have for this week. It's mostly small and uninteresting things from now until completion, so I miiiight skip next week's weekly update if the update is almost complete by that point, in favor of just continuing to push for release - we'll see what happens though. Thanks for reading everybody, and for your continued support! Crisis Point wouldn't be what it is today without all of you. See you next week, hopefully with the v0.35 release in hand!
-A42

Inspector_Whatsup

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Sounds like things are shaping up well. Nice!

Though one thing I'm wondering about: the Deep Soil boss fight is in a temporary room, that's cool. Hell, you could even make the room super-hard to access (along the lines of the crazy sequence break in Metroid Fusion) and hide some neat easter egg once it's served its purpose. But is the boss fight going to be THE boss fight? As in, the boss fight you'd actually have as the finale/highlight of Deep Soil, or are you withholding attacks from the final version? Because otherwise, that might skew the difficulty curve a bit.

As for the fog, the effect looks pretty good. If you want a stark contrast between fog and not-fog, you could add special glowing flowers to the rooms that bloom in the background (and maybe even on the foreground to reinforce the idea of overgrowth) once the fog is gone, giving the tileset a slightly stronger saturation and illuminating the room. You could even show them shut while the fog is still there. I dunno, just a quick throw-out-there.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Sounds like things are shaping up well. Nice!

Though one thing I'm wondering about: the Deep Soil boss fight is in a temporary room, that's cool. Hell, you could even make the room super-hard to access (along the lines of the crazy sequence break in Metroid Fusion) and hide some neat easter egg once it's served its purpose. But is the boss fight going to be THE boss fight? As in, the boss fight you'd actually have as the finale/highlight of Deep Soil, or are you withholding attacks from the final version? Because otherwise, that might skew the difficulty curve a bit.

As for the fog, the effect looks pretty good. If you want a stark contrast between fog and not-fog, you could add special glowing flowers to the rooms that bloom in the background (and maybe even on the foreground to reinforce the idea of overgrowth) once the fog is gone, giving the tileset a slightly stronger saturation and illuminating the room. You could even show them shut while the fog is still there. I dunno, just a quick throw-out-there.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work!

Thanks for the kind words!

For the Deep Soil boss fight, it's been in the game for a long time - it's the fight with the Female Warped Soldier who uses a sniper rifle that richochets, if you've played any of the Patreon builds since she was implemented. She's honestly a bit too easy if you ask me, and similarly to the 2nd boss fight, we're going to be giving her a complete rework from the ground up to make the fight more engaging. The reason we're putting her in a temporary room is since she *has* been in the game for a while now, I don't want to just remove that content completely, even if it's going to be reworked and moved to a new location later on. Fans of her H-scene probably wouldn't appreciate it being taken out :p

I really want to do something like the flowers you mentioned, for sure! I want to do tons more background bits and animated props and what have you, not just in the Deep Soil but in every area, it's just a matter of finding the time to make it happen. Chances are details like that will get pushed back until close to release, and we'll do a big polish pass over every area once the game is approaching the feature complete stage. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely keep it in mind!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody! v0.35 is now available for $10+ patrons!

Before we get into the meat of the post, I want to apologize for one thing - the Lurker BE H-scene climax animation isn't finished. It was the only thing holding me back from releasing the update today, and I honestly just don't have it in me to spend 12+ hours trying to finish up the scene right now. I've mentioned it before, but animation is something I really do not enjoy doing, which is why I hired Orex to do it, and with his dayjob he was unfortunately not able to finish it in time.

With all that being said, we DO have a surprise added to this update last minute to make up for it - Kuso managed to finish his rework of the Alraune CG! I won't post anything about it here, but you can find it and enjoy it ingame at your leisure ; ) Without further ado, here's what v0.35 includes:

v0.35 MAJOR UPDATES AND CHANGES
-Completely reworked the ENTIRE Deep Soil from the ground up, with new puzzles, less annoying level design, and new tileset artwork
-Added 4 new conversations into the Deep Soil
-Finished the Bestiary section of the menus, with descriptions for every enemy that unlock when you capture them (note: doesn't include Poison Alraune or the bosses yet)
-Implemented Warped Soldier enemy recolors (other recolored enemies coming in the future)
-Added Poison Alraune enemy into the Deep Soil (note: currently has no H-scenes or CG, will get unique scenes added in the future)
-Implemented Warped Scientist and Alraune CG reworks by Kuso
-Added Lurker BE H-scene (climax animation not complete, but loop is)
-Fixed numerous bugs and issues (will be listed at the bottom of the post)

So that's the list of the major things we got done this update. The vast majority of my time was taken up by the first one, completely reworking the Deep Soil - I've gone over it plenty in updates before, so I won't waste your time explaining it all again, but it was a complete redesign from the ground up, with about 80% of the previous rooms scrapped entirely. I'm significantly happier with it now, and I hope you will be too! Unfortunately, the sheer scope of the rework meant that there were some other plans I had that had to be pushed back into the next update. I was a little too ambitious and didn't end up making it all happen, my sincerest apologies for that.

v0.36 UPDATE GOALS
-Design and implement NPCs in the Summit area, which will include at least one cutscene
-Add more to explore in the Catacombs
-Finish animating the Lurker BE H-scene, and start reworking Alicia's BE status effect
-Implement more enemy recolors (at least tentacles and warped sentries)
-Continue reworking CGs, possibly add Poison Alraune CG
-Add more environmental dialogue throughout the game
-Rework the Flare Shot's first upgrade to be less intrusive to H-scenes and general gameplay
-Continue fixing bugs and issues

I'm keeping our goals a little smaller in this next update, to try and hopefully make sure nothing has to be scrapped this time. The major thing in this next update will be the NPCs and cutscene in the Summit - this will be a brand new NPC that I've teased before, and will be fairly significant to the game. It might also require me to slightly rework some things too, so between that and needing animation, voice acting, writing, etc, I'm just going to work under the assumption it'll take up a decent chunk of my time. Aside from that, we'll finally be ACTUALLY adding new areas to the Catacombs (probably not a ton, but there will be more this time I swear), and the usual reworked stuff like new conversations and Kuso's reworked CGs. I'll also be touching up the Flare Shot's first upgrade and completely changing the way it functions, so it no longer causes issues with getting into H-scenes.

Anyway, that's about enough outta me for this update. Before I go, HUGE shoutouts to our $30 patrons this update cycle! Thank you so much to ALL of our amazing patrons, but especially Keeg, SpeedyShamrock, HOELS, and Wangarang for your incredible generosity. Crisis Point wouldn't be the game it is today without all of you!
-A42

v0.35 MINOR CHANGES AND BUG FIXES
-Fixed not being able to cancel out of New Game Difficulty Selection when using a gamepad
-Fixed certain menu issues (especially on the main menu) when Menu Confirm key was bound to Enter
-Dashing while ledge grabbing will no longer always play the default sound, even if the dash attack upgrade that changes the sound is unlocked
-Added the Melee Attack key to the tutorial prompts when the game starts
-Updated graphic for Wire Shot Pillars in the Summit
-Added new audio options for CG voices so that gameplay cutscenes and CGs are different audio types, and split CG voices into Male/Female options
-Charge Shot upgrade text is no longer incorrectly displaying the Rapid Shot text instead
-Increased height of the Alraune's hitbox, so bullets won't miss her if they touch her face anymore
-Fixed softlock in Summit where the player can jump over the pit containing the Wire Shot, and end up in a spot where they need Wire Shot to get out but haven't obtained it
-Redesigned the Warped Sentry's shield to have better visual interest, to prepare for better recolors
-Updated facial animations for both Alicia and the Warped Soldier in the Warped Soldier H-scenes, both normal and BE
-Fixed bug where the player could push the first Warped Soldier enemy encountered in the camp by using the Melee attack, which could cause the following cutscene to act strangely
-Raised volume of Skill Unlock sound effect
-Fixed bug where gamepad couldn't skip the disclaimer and gamepad text when the game is started

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody! Gonna be a lightweight update this week, since v0.36 development only just started, and I've gone straight into the biggest part of the update, which is the new NPC and cutscenes in the Summit.

I probably won't be talking too much about my work regarding those cutscenes, I'd rather keep it a secret for once you have v0.36 in your hands in about two months. I'm feeling very confident we can pull it all off this update, though - it's likely going to end up similar to the human camp, where I gradually add more detail to it throughout the next several updates, but I'm certain the most important parts of it will be finished in time for this update! I've got the outline of how everything should work, and I've started writing dialogue too, so it's coming along very well.

Aside from what I've been working on though, Orexius has redoubled his efforts and has been pushing out a lot of animations lately, specifically for the BE rework. The BE rework itself is actually functionally complete already, which is another thing I worked on this week - the movement debuff and time limit have been removed, and instead, Alicia's libido gradually fills while in BE, and touching enemies will instantly initiate an un-cancelable H-scene with them, while finishing an H-scene or masturbation will end BE - but a lot of the animations are missing the larger breasts, and are currently just using the regular non-BE animations, which is what Orexius has been working on. So far, he's already finished the idle animation, running animation (including stand-to-run and run-to-stand transitions), and stationary jumping animations - and he's been doing it all on stream, too!

If you want to watch him work his magic, or you just want to see some real big pixel titties, he's been streaming for a few hours almost daily on his picarto - - I'd recommend giving him a follow so you can see whenever he goes live, though it's usually around 5pm EST. Alternatively, you can also join our public Discord server, and we send out notifications whenever he goes live!

For my part, I plan to get back into streaming too, as soon as I'm working on things that aren't writing. I'll keep you guys updated on that front - I've really been wanting to stream again lately, and I feel terrible about how many times I've said I was going to start streaming again but didn't follow through, so I want to make sure it actually happens this time, anxiety be damned.

Anyway, that's it for me this week! Sorry for the lack of anything visually exciting to show off. Maybe I'll do a post once we get a few more animations done, showing off a collection of 'em. Until then, feel free to take a look at the stream VODs if you want to see some of them though, or just hang around for a stream sometime! See you guys next week, hopefully with a more exciting update!

zxc018299

Reputation score
This a great game. I like it and I wanne pay for you,but I have no moeny! I make 1000$ every month, my famly need it, sorry.:):)

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
This a great game. I like it and I wanne pay for you,but I have no moeny! I make 1000$ every month, my famly need it, sorry.:):)
Please don't ever feel bad about taking care of yourself first! I appreciate your interest in the game, but I don't ever want somebody to support us unless they can afford to do it without causing problems for themselves. Best of luck in getting yourself to a better financial situation, man

zxc018299

Reputation score
Please don't ever feel bad about taking care of yourself first! I appreciate your interest in the game, but I don't ever want somebody to support us unless they can afford to do it without causing problems for themselves. Best of luck in getting yourself to a better financial situation, man
Thank you,man. I love you.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody, time for another weekly update! Sorry for not posting an update last week - if you checked our Patreon, the update we posted last week was basically "we're still doing the same things as last week and finishing those up", so there wasn't really anything to write about. This week though, as you can see, we actually do have a bit of visual stuff to show off - primarily, the 3 new Tentacle colors, and the new Flare Shot upgrade I listed in the update plans!

The tentacle colors are pretty self-explanatory - much like the Warped Soldier recolors from last update, these recolored tentacles will show up in later areas of the game with increased damage. They won't have increased health, since they're not meant to take longer to kill, only to continue presenting a threat as Alicia's max health gets upgraded further and further. As always, these will NOT have new H-scenes associated with them; the color will be reflected in any H-scenes you get in with them, but they will be the same H-scenes as the normal purple tentacles.

The more exciting thing is the new Flare Shot ability, that replaces the Orbital Flares! So many people said the Orbital Flares caused issues for them, especially with entering H-scenes and having the flares kill enemies, so I decided to make it a more directly offensive ability fully in control of the player. After acquiring the first upgrade, tapping the Flare Shot button quickly will spawn a flare orb that rotates, shooting out two jets of flame automatically. It takes a chunk of your Flare Shot ammo to spawn one (not shown above due to debug commands being used), and only 2 can be active at any given time - but if you have a lot of dodging to do, or an enemy who's particularly stationary, they can be extremely effective at dealing some passive damage while you focus on other things. In addition to that, the first upgrade also doubles Alicia's natural light radius, so darker areas will be easier to see in.

Aside from those two things, we also pretty much completed the BE rework today! There's a few very small tweaks we still need to make, but honestly they're so small you might not even notice them, so at this point I can more or less just call it complete. Once more for those who may not know, the BE rework's goal was simple: remove the movement debuff from Alicia, so BE no longer prevents you from playing the game, and replace it with some other stuff. That "other stuff" is that enemies deal more damage when Alicia's in BE, touching an enemy will instantly start a BE H-scene with them, and while in BE, Alicia's libido will gradually raise over time. BE also no longer has a hard time limit - it ends after an H-scene, including Alicia masturbating, so once the libido meter fills and a forced masturbation scene plays she'll be back to normal. Aside from that though, she can move, fight, and platform around just as much as normal. Hopefully this will make BE a funner mechanic, not to mention making it easier to get your desired BE H-scene, if you're looking for a particular one!

Alrighty, that's all I have for this week - luckily a much better one than the past two, thanks again for being so patient with us during the slower parts of the update! I'm really happy with the pace of this update so far, we're getting things done a lot quicker than I expected. Anyways, thanks so much for reading and supporting, everyone! See ya in next week's update!

Last edited:
OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody! This week's update will be relatively short, I spent most of it talking to voice actresses to try and fill the role of the new NPC being added. I put out some casting calls, and the response has been enormous! I can't overstate how many talented actresses are out there in the NSFW scene; compared to our previous casting calls, it's taken much more time than I expected to talk to every one about CPE and the character, not to mention listening to demo reels and auditions, giving feedback, and more. I'd hire all of them if I could, the amount of talent on display is staggering, but I think we're narrowing down the options and I should be able to hire someone for the character pretty soon.

That's not all I did though, of course - I also spent some time on a few personal programming ideas I've been wanting to try (which went swimmingly, by the way, and once I get enough time I might be able to use them to upgrade Crisis Point's lighting engine a bit), and as you can see by the gif up above, I also started the process of adding mouse support to Crisis Point's menus! I've wanted to do this for a while, and after getting a comment recently from someone with a non-US keyboard, who had great difficulty rebinding their controls due to the different keyboard layout, I realized how much more important it was than I originally thought. Even though it wasn't in my original plans for v0.36, this update's development has been going well, and I wanted to see if I can squeeze it in - and at the very least, it's fully functional for the main menu, options base menu, and controls menu now! Note that this DOES NOT mean Crisis Point will be getting GAMEPLAY mouse support - I have no plans on adding mouse support to gameplay itself, ONLY menus, as many parts of the gameplay design of Crisis Point (8 directional aiming, no strafing, etc) would fall apart completely with mouse aiming. That being said, hopefully I can get all of the menus fully functional with mouse support by the time this update comes out. It feels pretty great to navigate them this way, not gonna lie!

Alright, that's all I have for you guys this week. Thanks for tuning in, and for continuing to support us! Ever since finishing The Great Rework™ it's really felt like we're picking up the pace, and I can't wait to see where we end up!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everyone! Sooo, small apology out of the way first - I only did any major work on one thing this week. You remember how last week, I mentioned I was doing some tinkering with programming ideas I've had, and that one of the things I tried might be usable in Crisis Point to upgrade our lighting, which I would try doing when I had time? Yeah well, turns out that time is now. I got too excited about the idea of a lighting engine upgrade and decided to dive straight into it the day after making that post. The bad news is that there were some issues in my original implementation, and the way Crisis Point's rendering worked was incompatible with the system, which meant that I had a lot of bugfixing to do and I had to rework CPE's rendering quite a bit. The GOOD news is.. well, just look at the pictures.

I'm still tweaking values, so it might look a bit different once the update comes out than it does here, but hopefully the images speak for themselves; it's far from the most impressive or complex lighting engine ever made, but it's a tremendous upgrade from our old lighting if you ask me. Even in the more subtle areas like the Deep Soil, I feel it adds a lot more to the atmosphere, and I hope you agree!

If you're at all interested in how the lighting works: I'll avoid getting too technical, but the old system was about as simple as you can get. After the rest of the game was drawn, I overlaid a dark, partially-transparent, slightly tinted rectangle over the screen, and then any sources of light would "cut out" parts of that rectangle to prevent those areas being covered up by the dark layer. The system certainly worked for making an area darker, but because the entire overlay is one single color overlaid on top of the game, the overall effect is kind of drab and monotone. It doesn't care what color the original pixel was, everything is darkened towards the same color. NOW, we use a relatively similar concept, except instead of just overlaying a dark rectangle and cutting parts out, I use a shader to multiply the colors of each individual pixel based on the colors I want the area's darkness to have - so for example, in the Catacombs, it emphasizes the blue and red while reducing the green, to give everything a dark purple tint. This creates a MUCH wider variety of colors on screen, since it creates the new color based on what the old color was, making every scene more vibrant and interesting - especially darker scenes, like the Catacombs.

So like I said before, that's all I really worked on this week (outside of small things like continuing to find an actress for the new NPC). Sorry if you were hoping for a bigger update, I just got excited about the idea of a lighting engine update and I had to work on it :' ) It's not quite done yet, I have a lot of tinkering I need to do to make sure EVERY area looks good, but even though it took more work than I hoped it would, I'm really happy with the way it came out, and I hope you will be too!

That's it for me this week, everybody! Thanks so much for supporting us, and for letting me indulge in a not-strictly-necessary-but-exciting-(at-least-for-me) update like this one. I'll do my best to make sure there's more to report on next week, and hopefully this little detour won't push the update back at all - I'll keep you in the loop on that one as we get further in the month. See you in next week's update!

ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score
Something I recommend for the Overgrowth area, and I really should have said much earlier on, is filling in the empty, unused space between the vine walls with at least a solid color. Overgrowth doesn't really look like it's namesake, as in it looks too hollow and empty. I also recommend having either vines or large branches shooting out from the giant stalks/trees in the background and adding leaves to the tile sets. Just something to make the area look more alive.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Something I recommend for the Overgrowth area, and I really should have said much earlier on, is filling in the empty, unused space between the vine walls with at least a solid color. Overgrowth doesn't really look like it's namesake, as in it looks too hollow and empty. I also recommend having either vines or large branches shooting out from the giant stalks/trees in the background and adding leaves to the tile sets. Just something to make the area look more alive.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure where you got the name Overgrowth from, it's called the Deep Soil - it's never referred to as the Overgrowth ingame or elsewhere. I feel like filling them in with a solid color would take away from the windy, twisting nature of the place though, and make the vine background pieces look too similar to the dirt pieces, so I'm not really inclined to do that, sorry. I do want to add way more details to the environment, including animated tiles to make the plantlife seem more alive, it's just a matter of actually having the time to do it - designing those details takes time, and placing them in each area honestly takes even more, so it's a polish thing we really want to do, but it's low priority and probably won't happen until quite a but further into development

ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure where you got the name Overgrowth from, it's called the Deep Soil - it's never referred to as the Overgrowth ingame or elsewhere. I feel like filling them in with a solid color would take away from the windy, twisting nature of the place though, and make the vine background pieces look too similar to the dirt pieces, so I'm not really inclined to do that, sorry. I do want to add way more details to the environment, including animated tiles to make the plantlife seem more alive, it's just a matter of actually having the time to do it - designing those details takes time, and placing them in each area honestly takes even more, so it's a polish thing we really want to do, but it's low priority and probably won't happen until quite a but further into development
I was probably thinking of something else with the name Overgrowth (probably from AM2R lol), my bad. My problem is that the whole area just doesn't seem as filled out as the rest of the areas. However, if you are working towards that, then I'll just shut up now 😁.