What's new

ACT Patreon Active [Anon42] Crisis Point: Extinction

Loli

Reputation score
..................... i see drama ............................. if u dont like waiting then stop complaining and help em with the coding xperience then UwU
as for me imma slowly C# away til i can actually code a proper game (and wait for this game to finish,high qual as far as i see, just take time, like everything in life)

IAmAKi

Reputation score
Geez. I look away for less than half a day and someone's blowing up because they basically have to wait.

If you guys want a game to complain about taking forever, complain about Succubus Affection being delayed another two months, because Ansala's been too busy sucking himself off while simultaneously dragging Zell23's good name through the mud. People are regularly asking that poor guy what's going on despite him just being commissioned to do art assets.

Going off topic there, my apologies. In any case, this game's making progress and the dev's regularly showing for it, so I'm happy that significant time is being put into this.

Triplebrc

Reputation score
I wouldn't say drama, I just found this project again after not having it on my radar for a little more than two years and was surprised it was still not finished, leading me to believe that there were some bad decisions made regarding the development approach, so I asked about when this game is ever going to be finished given its been over 5 years and WAY over a hundred thousand of support for a 2d pixel game. What I got instead was a rant about taxes, finances and some whining about how tough development is, which is fine even given the unprofessional tone that would not fly if I would use it for a customer thats asking me about why things seemingly are moving at a snails pace for the project my team is assigned to, but thats the perk of being self employed I guess. I'm not mad about Anon and I specifically said that I do not think he is trying to scam people just yet, so put your pitchforks away you clowns.
I am not mad about the game not being finished, I no longer really care about the game as evidenced by the fact that I forgot about it until now, any money I gave it is lost anyway and thats fine, thats always the risk you take when giving someone money via patreon.
So no, I am not "waiting" for the game to be finished or urging to rush it, its fine if all of you still follow the project and are ok with however long it takes, its also fine if you give the project more money, it's just not for me as I view the value to be way too low so I will not follow it any longer, and I somewhat questioned whether the approach chosen was such a good idea.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
I'd more expect rage like this to be aimed at something like Aylia's Story
I just want to be fair to YummyTiger here - even though Chapter 1 is taking a really long time, his Patreon isn't on monthly, he only gets paid when he puts out major updates, so he's barely gotten any finances from Patreon for the game. I do understand the frustration at the slow development though, sometimes it's not just about the money and I get that.

so I asked about when this game is ever going to be finished given its been over 5 years and WAY over a hundred thousand of support for a 2d pixel game. What I got instead was a rant about taxes, finances and some whining about how tough development is
It's very telling that you keep referring to it as a "2d pixel game" as some sort of derogatory indicator of how simple/easy the game must be to develop, all because it's 2d and pixelated. The reason I didn't answer was because in the context of your original post, it came across as more of a sarcastic, rhetorical insult than a genuine question. I apologize for that misunderstanding, and it's why I answered it to the best of my ability in my next reply to you. There are many reasons development has been slow, all of which I've been very candid about (depression from the loss of my father especially took nearly a year from me before I was able to pull myself together), but things have improved by leaps and bounds over the past year and development speed is at a rapid pace right now. I do hope you'll consider following the development of the game, even if you're not willing to support again - I understand if not, but I would like the opportunity to prove you wrong regarding slow development with my actions rather than words.

Triplebrc

Reputation score
It's very telling that you keep referring to it as a "2d pixel game" as some sort of derogatory indicator of how simple/easy the game must be to develop, all because it's 2d and pixelated.
Not easy as an absolute, I know it is still a lot of work especially for one person, I was sitting in some of your livestreams a few years ago so I know that a full scene takes time and effort, but even knowing that I have a hard time to come up with more than one or two simpler common formats. At the end of the day I am calling it what it is, a 2d pixel art game, a polished one, hell in part a great one even from what I remember, but it is not a format that should swallow massive funds like many others do. Though I admit I factored in the living costs much lower than they actually were according to your post.
The reason I didn't answer was because in the context of your original post, it came across as more of a sarcastic, rhetorical insult than a genuine question. I apologize for that misunderstanding, and it's why I answered it to the best of my ability in my next reply to you.
It was admittedly a bit of a sarcastic post that was supposed to show my honest surprise that this game I forgot about is still in development. The question however was genuine, but I recognize that this maybe came off wrong due to the sarcastic opening, so I apologize as well, should have made much more of a distinction between the two parts.
There are many reasons development has been slow, all of which I've been very candid about (depression from the loss of my father especially took nearly a year from me before I was able to pull myself together), but things have improved by leaps and bounds over the past year and development speed is at a rapid pace right now. I do hope you'll consider following the development of the game, even if you're not willing to support again - I understand if not, but I would like the opportunity to prove you wrong regarding slow development with my actions rather than words.
Sorry for your loss. I can respect that approach, though as I said my interest in the game has diminished over the years. Maybe I play through one of the old builds I still must have floating around on my pc and if I get into it again I will watch the Patreon for a few weeks and see for myself. Can't promise to become an active supporter again though, as I already accumulated between 40$ and 50$ from being in the 5$ tier years back if I remember correctly (your tier description promised a copy of the finished game after around 10$ anyway), and for me going higher than that just feels too much for that kind of game, even if it is good. Not that I want to discourage other people mind you, but for me to put in more money than that I would have to like what I am seeing to the extend that I want to play it now instead of waiting for the finished version.

DaBouncer

Demon Girl
Reputation score
I just want to be fair to YummyTiger here - even though Chapter 1 is taking a really long time, his Patreon isn't on monthly, he only gets paid when he puts out major updates, so he's barely gotten any finances from Patreon for the game. I do understand the frustration at the slow development though, sometimes it's not just about the money and I get that.
Oh, don't get me wrong, even though I'll shit all over the dev/s of SimBro, I'm still closely following YT, however I can't fault those who have lost faith in YT because of this long process, with seemingly no result. Honestly, I would have lost hope in YT too if it wasn't for the fact that Aylia's Story is on a "by major release" structure. It's proven to me that it isn't a scam because it physically can't be a scam, and every excuse is legitimate. One person on YT's Patreon essentially said that, no matter how good Chapter 1 is, it will still feel like a hollow update because of the long development period, which I 100% agree with. Expectations need to, and will be reset after the next release, so then the enjoyment of watching a game being developed from a consumer's standpoint will be at a "normal" level during Chaper 2's creation.

But lets be honest, YT has a very bad habit of revisiting old, already completed segments to improve upon them :LOL:

Also, Triplebrc, how the hell is your post supposed to be identifiable as sarcastic and not disrespectful when your immediate response to the apparant misunderstanding is "You are way too easily triggered, I remember these long salty rants of yours in other forums being something that I found laughable even back then". Mate, you should realise statements like this have killed so many good projects in the past because all it seems like you did was shit on the project, with nothing constructive.

If you have a serious desire to see a project be completed, don't just point out the negatives, point out the positives and go "Hey do more of this, this is good yes!". Case in point the posts when I (wrongfully) criticised the art updates during the massive rework the game underwent.

JamminguWayy

Reputation score
Haven't followed this game in a while, lost interest when the last update I saw got rid of in-field defeat scenes and replaced them with irritating ones you had to go into some pocket dimension or capture room or whatever to access, with voice over by those two male characters in the H scene. I really hated that change in design, it made the game much less appealing as an H game to me, regardless of whether or not I'm supposed to get attached or even 'like' these new characters. Can someone gimme bullet points of recent changes to the game? Not sure if I wanna skim through all these pages.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Before I get into the weekly update here, let me apologize for not updating here in such a long time - the last update for Crisis Point, v0.37, came out a while ago, and I never got around to posting the update about it here, mostly due to heaping amounts of stress and burnout. If you want to read about what was in the update, you can check it out here: (the post does NOT require a Patreon account or subscription, accessing it is completely free). In the meantime, I've since recovered and am feeling better, and v0.38 development is well under way; here's this week's post about it!

(The following is (mostly) a copy-paste from our If you like what you see, )

Hey everyone! Got a great update for you this week, so rather than beating around the bush, let's get right into it eh?

First off, the gif posted above! As you can see, I worked on a new, underwater enemy for Crisis Point this week. They're still missing animation work, but they're pretty much fully functional already. Their speedy, direct movement provides a unique challenge for Alicia when her movement is hampered by water; by default, Alicia can't dash or slide while underwater, so you'll have to be careful with these guys around to avoid being overwhelmed!

The observant among you might also notice another thing in the gif above, which is a little "dust/pollen particle" effect in the background of the Deep Soil. It's a small thing, but one that adds a nice amount of movement and life to the area in my opinion. I really want to add more little detail touches like this to every area in Crisis Point, since I think it's a great way to elevate the game's quality in more subtle ways.

Next up, if you didn't notice, we started streaming again this week! I've decided on a new streaming schedule - last update, turns out I was streaming too much for my mental health, and I ended up finishing v0.37 feeling pretty burnt out. I'm an introvert by nature, and streaming 4-5 days a week after not streaming for so long was just too much for me, which is why it's taken a while to get back to our regular work schedule. Sorry about that! For this update, I'm going to drop down to 3 days a week - Monday, Wednesday, Friday. My sleep schedule is also super off right now, so I'm going to be starting streams at 5 pm EST instead of 2 like before. This will probably change again if I get my sleep schedule back on track, but for now that's what we're goin' with.
TL;DR - Stream schedule is now Monday/Wednesday/Friday at 5 pm EST!

Next up, a few words on the progress of the game's writing! As I mentioned in the recent status update post, I spent time really finalizing the greater storyline of Crisis Point recently. Turns out, having the story written out instead of just floating around in my head is a phenomenal idea, as I've had the itch to write a bunch since then! I finished two new scripts this week, one for a cutscene (which will introduce more new NPCs), and one for a story-related HCG. I don't know if these will make it into this update, my guess would be probably not since Red and Orex have their hands full with all the other work I have for them, and we need a lot of animations for their introduction scene, but we'll certainly try our best!

Next, a small update on Red's status - since Kuso left and we decided to hire Red to do CGs, he's been working on the Slime CG rework, and is nearly done with it now! Once he's done, I'll post one of the images as a Patron-only post, so you can see what kind of art he'll be bringing to the table. Spoiler alert: it's fantastic! He has a lot of freelance work on his plate, so he can't devote all of his time to Crisis Point at the moment, but as soon as he's done with the Slime CG I'm going to have him get started on the Torguis CG to make sure there will definitely be some brand new H-content in this update. The Torguis CG is one I'm especially proud of (the script file is about twice as long as any previous CG!), so I can't wait to get it in your hands!

Lastly, another gif from the game! This update is all about getting you guys underwater, so naturally there's a lot of underwater mechanics being worked on. In some underwater areas, you'll find strong currents that push Alicia back if she tries to pass them. Even the bubbles from her underwater Flare Shot are rejected! Maybe there will be some kind of upgrade to let you bypass them eventually..?

Alright, that's all the major stuff for this week! Thanks so much for reading, everybody, and for supporting Crisis Point! Hope to see you at the streams!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody! This week's update is gonna be smaller than last week; most of the stuff I worked on is related to writing and level design and such, so not particularly interesting to show off.

I've been doing a LOT of writing lately - since fully laying out the plans for CPE's story, rather than just keeping it all in my head, I've gotten a much clearer idea of where the game's story and progression is headed and what I need to write to get us there. It's honestly been a blast! Some of what I'm writing won't even be in this update, mostly due to not having the assets I need to make certain events happen, but in general I'm trying to frontload a lot of the writing work in this update. Since every script needs to be voice acted, I need to give our actors and actresses plenty of time to get their lines recorded, so I'm trying to get as much writing done as I can early in the update cycle so they have time to record.

Aside from the writing, I also did a chunk of level design this week. The 3rd boss now has a (mostly) permanent location; the fight itself is still going to undergo a complete rework later on, and that might include slightly altering her location, but her general location is here to stay. Defeating her also gets you access to a real upgrade now - the Weighted Boots! As you can imagine, the Weighted Boots allow Alicia to sink in water rather than floating, allowing for underwater exploration at long last. It comes at the cost of reduced mobility though; while underwater, Alicia can't dash or slide, and she moves slightly slower, so you'll have to be careful when traversing underwater areas. There's no breath meter to worry about though, so you can take your time and explore freely.

Lastly, I have two NSFW things to show off, a teaser for the Slime CG rework Red is doing, and a comparison shot of the Alraune BE H-scene Orexius just finished reworking.

The CG isn't finished just yet, there's still some work to be done on it (the original colors were too desaturated, and Red is out of town right now so I had to up the saturation values myself - the final colors won't be the exact same as this), but it's nearly done and hopefully you'll agree with me that it looks absolutely fantastic.

Aside from that, here's the H-scene comparison:

I'm sure you'll agree with me that it's one HELL of a glow up; Orexius really outdid himself with this scene.

Before I go, I do want to mention that I'm making a slight update to stream schedules - my sleeping schedule is still all sorts of whack, I'm not waking up at consistent times at all. I'm most productive early in the day, so naturally when I wake up earlier, streaming at 5 pm EST is very difficult for me; because of that, I'm going to scrap the idea of having specific times for the streams. We'll still be streaming Monday/Wednesday/Friday, but the time will change depending on the day. I'd like to fix my sleeping schedule and get some consistency, but for the time being I just gotta make due with what I've got, super sorry for any inconvenience this causes!

Alright, that's all I have for this week. Thanks so much for the support, everyone! v0.38 is shaping up nicely and I'm having a great time working on it, can't wait to get it in your hands!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody, welcome to the weekly update! This week is going to be fairly non-visual, as Red is still finishing up the Slime CG, Orex is still in the early stages of a new H-scene, and I've moved on to working on stuff like level design. That said, I did add a new obstacle this week that I want to show off!

These are aquatic mines that activate when Alicia gets within range of them. Once active, they'll accelerate towards her in an attempt to collide. They move slightly faster than Alicia does underwater, but as you can see in the gif, their acceleration is rather low, so you can avoid them more easily by jumping and such. You'll want to be extra careful they don't hit you, though, as they do a MASSIVE amount of damage (99 points on normal, which is a full bar of health). They're also invulnerable to standard blaster fire, but once they're armed, they only have enough energy to chase Alicia for about 15 seconds, after which they'll explode without dealing any damage.

--------------------

Now that I have multiple underwater obstacles, I've been working on level design for underwater areas. For those of you not interested in programming, you can probably skip over this entire section - I'll be talking about an optimization issue I faced, and how I got to solving it.

The biggest room I worked on this week was one that has a lot of the underwater currents I talked about last update - creating a larger room using them lead me to realizing that the bubbles representing the current were extremely unoptimized. When the room was complete, those bubbles were taking up about 50% of the game's total processing time in every frame - it still ran fine on my computer, but performance was low enough that it was definitely a problem.

The first and most obvious change was culling bubbles that were outside of the player's view. Naturally, having tons of bubbles outside of the player's camera is unnecessary and wasteful, but I wouldn't be writing a section about this if it were that simple. The biggest problem with culling bubbles outside of the view is that when the current is too large for the player's camera, the bubbles for the current will spawn outside of the camera (since they spawn at the furthest extreme of the current), and then be immediately erased. The current itself will still be active, but the bubbles that visually represent it are gone, which makes it appear as if Alicia is being pushed by nothing. So, a simple camera cull isn't a good enough solution, as it kills the visual representation of the current, so I turned that system off for now.

Next up, I decided to look more thoroughly into what exactly was taking up most of the processing time. The most costly part of the bubbles was checking for wall collisions, which simply causes them to pop when they hit a wall. Running that collision check every frame for every bubble can be naturally intensive; because bubbles are a visual detail and not an actual gameplay mechanic, I was able to dramatically lessen their processing cost by adding a delay to the collision check, so that they would only check for wall collisions once every 5 frames instead, reducing the overall cost of the collision check to 20%. This does have an impact on their visual appearance, of course - they no longer pop the moment they hit a wall, and can instead be delayed by a few frames - but personally, after implementing a fix, I actually like the way it looks better. It makes their collisions appear less homogeneous, and almost gives it a sort of pseudo-3d effect, as if the bubbles are colliding with other parts of the wall instead of only the outermost edge. Perhaps that only works because of the bumpy, uneven nature of the Deep Soil's vines, but whatever the case, it's a nice side effect of optimization.

So after limiting the collision check frequency and doing a number of other, smaller tweaks to their code, the performance was looking noticeably better - but still not good enough yet. Culling the bubbles was absolutely necessary, but it had to be done in a more intelligent way rather than just checking if they were outside of the camera boundaries. The solution I came up with after messing with it for a while was this: when a bubble is created, the bubble first checks its position compared to the camera boundaries, but this time, it also factors in the direction it's going to move. If the bubble is outside of the camera and moving away from the camera boundaries, it deletes itself immediately to not take up any more processing time. If the bubble is moving towards the camera, though, it runs through another collision check - this time, it checks for walls in a line between its current position and the edge of the camera closest to it. If there are any walls between it and the camera, it deletes itself - the wall would prevent it from reaching the camera after all, so it's not needed. However, if there are no walls, then it continues on its merry way, safe in the confidence that it is a necessary bubble. The biggest negative with this solution is that, when a current is exceptionally long and has lots of geometry between the start and end points, there's a point where there are no current bubbles left, just because there are too many walls in the way. I tried a few higher-tech solutions to this, but all of them had issues; at the end of the day, the simplest solution won out, and I simply create manually-positioned bubble spawners behind walls to create more bubbles and continue the current, as you can see in this screenshot.

These are obviously not visible in game, and to avoid bubbles being too concentrated from smaller spawners, the frequency they create bubbles at is scaled based on the total size of the spawner. Altogether, the system ended up being significantly more optimized than before, and hardly any more effort to work with - I'm very happy with how it turned out! Now, instead of taking up 50% of each frame's processing power, the bubbles average out to a mere 13%. Still a little higher than I'd like, if I'm honest, and I do have plenty of ideas for optimizing them further - however, their performance is well within acceptable ranges, and spending too much time on unnecessary optimization would mean no progress on the rest of the game. As long as it runs well for everybody, that's all I can ask for.
By the way, let me know if you enjoy reading deeper dives into my programming work like this; I'm happy to share it more, if it's something people are interested in!

--------------------

Anyway, aside from all that, I worked on a few things this week. The new underwater enemy from last week now has proper animations rather than still frames, and I implemented some much-needed special effects for the destroyable blocks and crumble blocks that you can find in various places within the game. Mostly, though, it's been level design and optimizations, since I've also been working on optimizing the way the game's backgrounds are drawn.

Anyway, that's it for me this week! I haven't been focusing on finalizing my writing as much as I should have, so I haven't sent off scripts to our voice actors yet; that'll be a major focus next week, hopefully everyone will have enough time to get recordings done so the update can come out this month. I don't think I'll have to cancel any streams so I can focus on writing, but if I do have to, now you know why. Hope to see you next week for another round of updates!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everyone, very small update this week; I spent most of it doing basic stuff like working on level design, fixing bugs, and stuff like that. In general, development of v0.38 is winding down, so there probably won't be much in the way of exciting stuff to show off between now and the release. At this point I'm mostly just waiting for CGs, H-scenes, and voice acting to be done so I can implement them all, and until that point I'm expanding level designs, tweaking balance, and updating various things around the game.

https://soundcloud.com/anon-42-498945869%2Fcrisis-point-extinction-ost-deep-soil-underwater
Up above you can listen to the underwater variant of the Deep Soil theme; like other areas in the game, this variant track will play instead of the normal theme in certain areas (specifically while you're underwater, who would've thought). I honestly can't remember if I've shared this track before, but if not, there you go - you'll be able to hear it ingame in v0.38, since underwater exploration will finally open up.

I'm also starting to mess around with a tileset for the 5th area, the one I shared a music preview of a while back; Puffernutter still hasn't had time to work on the tileset, and since my personal workload for v0.38 is getting pretty low, I decided to try it out myself. It's still lacking details and polish (and a proper background), but here's a small preview of what I've got for it so far.

I'm happy with the direction it's taking, so at the very least, I'm hoping I can get it to a good concept stage and have Puffernutter come in and add the finer details later.

Alright, that's it from me for this week. Sorry it's a smaller update, but there's just not much to share from my work, and I expect it to be similar in the following weeks until v0.38 comes out. As always, though, if you want to see what kind of stuff I'm working on, you can check out my streams on Monday/Wednesday/Friday at - the last 12 streams are automatically uploaded as VODs, so you can also watch them after the stream is over if you can't make it to see them live.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope to see you at the streams!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everyone. Like I said last week, we won't have a huge amount of stuff to talk about between now and the release of v0.38, so this will be a relatively small update. That said, I do have one thing I want to show off this week!

Before I get started, I want to clarify that Area 5 is NOT going to be in v0.38 - I'm working on aspects of it now to get ahead of the game, but it's not going to be officially introduced until v0.39. With that out of the way, I dunno if anyone will be as excited about this as I am, but here you go, another preview of the Area 5 tileset:

As you can see, this tileset has had some pretty significant work put into it! Puffernutter has finally had some free time to devote to the game, and as she worked on it, I had an idea to give it some extra flair. After many hours of trial, error, and reworking the rendering pipeline, the effort resulted in what you see in the gif above - auto-animated background tiles, with VERY low performance impact, and no extra effort required when creating the tileset or tiling rooms!

This is what the tileset pieces look like normally. The effect works by using a shader to search for those bright pink pixels, and then removing them from the final image completely, essentially cutting out those pixels so you can see what's behind them. Behind the main game render, there's a scrolling, multi-colored texture, so when the shader cuts out those pink pixels, you can see that scrolling texture through those pixels. If you could see the texture as a whole it would look rather ugly indeed, but since only small amounts of it are visible through the tileset, it results in giving the tiles a rather unique and interesting animated border. I'm personally super excited about the way this looks; I'm not very artistically inclined, as far as actually drawing art goes, but I love finding ways to use programming to enhance the visuals of the game, it comes a lot more naturally to me.

Anyway, aside from that I don't really have anything to show off this week. Orex is still working on the Torguis H-scene, Red is still finishing the slime CG, and I spent the rest of my time this week on making more level designs and implementing conversations/voice acting.

Because of the animation and CG pipelines being so backed up, I'm afraid that there's not going to be anywhere near as much H-content as I wanted in this update - at best, we'll have the reworked Slime CG, the new Torguis H-scene, and the reworked Alraune BE H-scene. I'm looking into my options for increasing our animation speed output, and I'm hoping next update will be an improvement in that regard. I'm very sorry that this keeps happening; believe me when I say that I'm just as frustrated as you are that our porn content is falling so far behind the rest of the game's development, and I'm going to do my best to improve the situation, even if it means picking up animation work myself again. For this moment, though, all I can do right now though is ask for your patience, and give you my sincere thanks for sticking with us despite the setbacks; it truly means the world to us.

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
The effect works by using a shader to search for those bright pink pixels, and then removing them from the final image completely, essentially cutting out those pixels so you can see what's behind them. Behind the main game render, there's a scrolling, multi-colored texture, so when the shader cuts out those pink pixels, you can see that scrolling texture through those pixels.
I find it funny just how much it resembles palette cycling.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
I find it funny just how much it resembles palette cycling.
It kinda does, doesn't it? The technique is very different, and you wouldn't be able to achieve the exact same effect with palette cycling, but the end result definitely has a resemblance.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Pour the wine and cut the cheese, Crisis Point: Extinction v0.38 is now complete and ready for our $10+ patrons to play!

(Click here for an NSFW version of the trailer: )

You can watch the video above for a run down of some of the biggest additions, but here's a list with a bit more details as well. There's a lot of other, smaller changes and additions too, as well as bug fixes, and all of that will be listed at the very bottom of the post.

v0.38 NEW CONTENT AND MAJOR CHANGES
-New enemy was added (Kertalus, in underwater areas)
-2 new H-scenes added (Regular Torguis scene, BE (Breast Expansion) Kertalus scene)
-Slime CG has been redrawn
-Both Alraune H-scenes have been updated with improved visuals and animations
-New upgrade added (Weighted Boots, allows you to explore underwater areas)
-Underwater Deep Soil variant music added
-New areas added to explore in the Deep Soil
-Bestiary entries for Torguis and Kertalus added
-A handful of new gameplay conversations were added (Flare Shot, Weighted Boots, Going Underwater)
-New obstacles were added for underwater areas (underwater currents & chaser mines)

One thing I'm very happy with is the Kertalus BE H-scene. Originally, the Kertalus was not going to have any H-scenes in this update - it's been a really long time since I animated anything major for CPE, but after realizing how little new H-content this update was going to have, I decided to step in and try animating an H-scene during this last week. The result was the Kertalus BE H-scene, and I am super happy with the result - hopefully you enjoy it too! Since the Kertalus doesn't have a regular, non-BE H-scene, you can also access the scene without BE status for now. Once he has a regular scene it'll be back to normal, of course.

In general, v0.38 turned out extremely well. On top of all the new stuff added to the game, we did loads of planning for future content, and I can't wait to show some of it off! On that note, here are our plans for v0.39:

v0.39 PLANNED CONTENT
-Add the 5th major area
-Add a new enemy in the new area
-Add more sprite H-scenes
-Implement Torguis (and MAYBE Kertalus) CGs
-Implement new story-related CG sequence
-Add more to explore, in new area and existing areas
-Implement new NPCs, along with a cutscene involving them
-Implement more gameplay conversations

v0.39 will be largely focused on adding the game's 5th major area. No, I'm still not sharing the name yet; due to the nature of the area, it'd be a spoiler :p Unfortunately, the game's development is outpacing our assets quite a bit; there's multiple story cutscenes that need to be added between the Catacombs and when you enter the 5th area, despite the fact that v0.38's final room will lead directly into that area, so we're kind of trying to play an awkward game of catch up right now while still delivering a good amount of new content to explore. I'm hoping we can sort that out sooner rather than later, now that I'm helping with animation again.

Anyway, that's enough out of me. I'd like to take a moment to thank our top patrons for this update cycle:

LukBobTanbou
dreaden
SeraphStarliege
Katsune Teku
Dylan Wright
Michael Powers
Erick Allison

Thank you very much to these fine individuals for giving us so much support! And another hearty thank you to the rest of our patrons as well; we wouldn't be here making this game without you! Here's to another update, I hope you enjoy it!

v0.38 MINOR CHANGES AND BUG FIXES
-Updated player's melee attack; it now has a quicker startup animation, and the last half of the animation can be canceled early by dashing or sliding, allowing for much quicker recovery.
-Added urns to interior Summit areas, for extra visual detail; they can also be destroyed to generate Force Shot charges
-Massively optimized multiple parts of the Deep Soil, which should eliminate any performance issues weaker hardware experiences in that area
-Changed slime AI so they no longer activate when the player enters the room, and instead when they enter the player's camera range, leading to more consistent locations and behavior of slimes
-Reduced damage output of Rapid Trigger to 55% (down from 66%), and reduced damage output of Heavy Trigger to 140% (down from 150%)
-Gave bouncy platforms in the Deep Soil a proper visual
-Added a handful of sound effects to various things across the game
-Added an input prompt to the intro text to inform the player they must press a button for the game to continue
-Added special effects when destroying breakable blocks or when crumbling floors break beneath you
-Implemented new "hit" special effect when some bullet types hit an enemy
-Made informational text in the upper right of the screen last longer for easier reading
-Fixed bug that caused Alicia to get stuck in the Wire Hang animation if she releases a wire hang while just underneath a jump-through platform
-Fixed minor bug that would make doors ignore a bullet meant to open them if the player had just entered a new room and immediately shot behind them
-Fixed bug where, if the player leaves the room containing the door to the Torguis Encampment after the cutscene where the door opens has already played, when the player returns, the door will be closed again, and cannot be opened in any way, resulting in a progression softlock
-Fixed an issue where the player could reach the second Poison Alraune before acquiring the Kilogrip
-Fixed issue where the mouse would overwrite keyboard/gamepad movement in the map screen, even if the mouse wasn't moving
-Fixed issue where opening the warp menu in the first session of a new game would cause a crash
-Fixed issue where the player could force the Torguis camp door open by pausing and unpausing the game while standing near it
-Fixed issue where the player could sometimes warp to warp points they had not unlocked yet
-Fixed a handful of very minor collision errors that probably nobody but me would've noticed anyway

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody! As usual after a big update release, I took a short break to relax and recover from the inevitable stress of pushing out a big update. As of this week, Crisis Point v0.39 has officially begun development, and we've got a few things to show ya already!

First up, as you can see above, I added some new wrinkles to our water. The observant among you might notice that this effect was sort of shown off in a previous weekly update, but the camera didn't move or anything - that's because the effect was still extremely WIP and didn't function properly. Now, though, it's all done! The 5th area is going to be heavily water focused, and unlike the Deep Soil where water is contained to individual sections, the water here spans the entire place, so I decided to use some of the new programming tricks I've picked up over the years to give the place a nice parallax effect. It'll be even better once we have a proper parallax background to go with it, but hopefully you can already get a feel for how it's gonna look! I'm stupid excited for it, personally.

Next up is a quick shot of the first enemy being introduced in this area! The sprite's not completely done yet, and I'll probably do some touch ups to certain things like the shape of some crystals, but the general concept is there and I really like the way it came out.

Alright, that's all I plan on showing off this week. I also did some writing and planning for this update, and Orex is hard at work on the Kertalus normal H-scene (he's already made a lot of progress on it, but I don't plan on showing it off just yet), so this update is already off to a great start.

Friendly reminder that we do a lot of this work on stream throughout the week! You can watch us on Picarto ( and Orex streams when he's able, but I try to stream consistently every Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Naturally, you'll get to see some of this weekly update stuff early at the streams while I'm working on it, so if that interests you at all then try to come by some time! Thanks for reading, see you next update!

Last edited:
OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody! Time for another CPE development update. This week (and honestly probably for most of this update), I focused mostly on area 5. Designing the levels, planning out progression, creating the art/visual effects, etc. We had a lot of plans but very few assets created before this update's development started, so there's a lot to be done if we want it to be in tip top shape by the time the update comes out next month! Anyway, enough rambling, let's look at some of the goodies.

First off, here's a nice short clip running through the area, showing off some of the new parallax background assets. Most parallax backgrounds in Crisis Point are handled as a global, looping background for each area, so aside from setting the initial parameters, I don't get much control over what each area's background looks like; the big mushroom-like structure in the background here, however, is a hand-placed object, so I'll be able to use it more sparingly and more carefully. This is a pretty small change from a user perspective, but it gives me more control over the visual design of areas. It also has some really nice visual effects that I'm super happy with to make it look more dynamic.

Second, another shot of the same background objects, but this time showing the interactivity of the smaller plants! They're not solid objects, so you can run through them as seen in the first gif, but you can also land on top of them and they'll shift under Alicia's weight. Really proud of this one, I love adding small details like this.

Next, a few screenshots showing off a recolored variant of the Edovex (along with their nest), and the WIP above-water parallax background. Just flat colors and simple shapes right now, but we wanted to figure out a general feeling and color scheme to go for, along with lining up everything with the parallax water, before designing any details. Let us know what you think of it! Also, regarding the Edovex, since I haven't mentioned it in a while, I want to state again that recolored enemies DO NOT get new H-scenes. They still have the original H-scenes but with their new colors, but they do not get unique scenes and they never will. The Poison Alraune is sort of an exception to this, as she will get unique scenes, but that's because she's considered a different enemy entirely and will eventually have unique attacks that the original Alraune doesn't have, once we can find the development time for it.

Anyway, that's it for the Area 5 work this week. Aside from that, I also worked on some writing for a few cutscenes that happen before Area 5, chronologically-speaking, and I'm also trying to hire some voice actors for a couple new NPCs I hope to introduce soon. Red is working on the Torguis CG, and Orexius is just about finished up with the regular Kertalus scene! After that, he'll probably get started on some H-scenes involving the new enemy. Things are going very well with v0.39 so far, and I'm super excited to see Area 5 in its finished state! Thank you all very much for reading, see you in next week's update!

Last edited: