What's new

AWMBI - Discussion

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: AWMBI - Discussion

Mina wouldn't have absorbed much, she can't. It's just the greed of wanting more that made her go nuts.
Great, so does that mean that if we manage to talk this guy into having a roll with Mina, she'll only drain off a little, and then be done with her greed?

And somehow I don't think the helicopter pilot has more than "a little".

How would that actually work? I mean, an 'evil' PC would obviously be trying to rape us, but our only way of fighting back seems to be trying to kill her... and I seem to recall that we're not supposed to kill other PC's. Unless 'evil' ones are considered expendable, I guess, but that was a hella long intro thread to die when she meets her first PC's.

Maybe she gets to run away at the end like the goddess did? Or she gets kidnapped and later rescued by the goddess?
I think RJ said somewhere along the line that Aya would get to run away. Or more precisely, be teleported away by the Goddess.

BurntToast

Lurker
Reputation score

How does Divine shield exactly work? And does Aya accually have a chance at winning this?

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

How does Divine shield exactly work? And does Aya accually have a chance at winning this?
Aya does have a chance... right now, Melissa's group thinks the guy is reasonably safe inside the warehouse, and is being slowed down by Melissa trying to get some idea of how to talk the guy into coming with them.

So Aya's got a decent lead in getting to him. Add to that the fact the guy views Melissa's group as hostile (not without reason, I'll grant), and he won't be doing anything so sensible as running to get their help.

As to Divine Shield... I think as soon as we shatter Aya's first shield by beating on Aya with our varied attacks, the Goddess will teleport her out. So you've got a tactical decision to make: pump lots of energy into the shield, and risk not having the wherewithal to fight back, or keep the shield weaker, and risk us overwhelming Aya quickly.

BurntToast

Lurker
Reputation score

I know what to do. Aya is in direct view of the boy so all she has to do is do an aimed shot at him with her 9mm handgun.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

I know what to do. Aya is in direct view of the boy so all she has to do is do an aimed shot at him with her 9mm handgun.
So go ahead and do it. And if Melissa and company are really lucky, Joseph'll have his Divine Sight active and spot Aya lining up the sights.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

(character maker update - finished added acute/impaired sight+smell+hearing. Resisted urge to use word "olfactory". Skipping 'resist' for now, moving on to the skills. SO much typing, something like a hundred variable names to keep straight (4 for each skill).)

BurningGold

Lurker
Reputation score

When this program is finished I'm going to make another character. lol...

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, I have 3 things left to do, AFAIK

1.) Skills
2.) Resistances
3.) Output

Number 1 is 2 hours of typing. Number 2 requires some creativity. Number 3 requires probably another hour of typing.

And testing/debuging each step takes an unknown amount of time. And then lots of test cases... probably just go through the character creation thread and verify that all of them work correctly. Then give it to someone else to abuse. :p

All in all, depending on how much free time I have this evening, it could be done by tomorrow.

BurningGold

Lurker
Reputation score

I wonder of Raptor will user your program for the role plays sequel...

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I wonder of Raptor will user your program for the role plays sequel...
On the bright side, modifying it will be much easier then writing it in the first place.

Still, I haven't written anything in like 2 months, I need to keep practicing/learning. :p

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Update: I have leveraged the powers of regular expressions to finish and test "skills" in much less time then previously thought!

I'm going to polish a bit then set aside until later.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Name: Quick McSpeedy

Appearance:

Bio: This character is re-freaking-diculous.

STR: 1
DEX: 3
CON: 5
INT: 1
PER: 1
WIL: 1

Level: 19 Inspired

Stamina: 41
Orgasm: 34
Speed: 21
Essence: 137

Qualities: (0 unspent points)
Iron Woman level 5 (5)

Drawbacks: (0 unspent points)
Covetous level 3 (3)
Honorable level 3 (3)
Lazy (1)
Nightmares (1)
Showoff (2)

Skills: (0 unspent points)
Brawling level 4
Running level 5

Metaphysics:
The Gift (5)
Increased Essence Pool x25 (25)
Blessing

This post generated by the AWMBI Character Creator by:
>>>thetwo<<<

(It's done. >.>

Now someone give me a good way to let other people have the .jar file on these forums and someone else can do more testing.)

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Iiiinteresting...

Well, you could put it in a ZIP file and then attach it to a post... I think...

Or you could toss it on , or your favourite uploading site...

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Edit: version deprecated.

Well, we'll go for this one then. It's not like it's very big (200 kB or so). Also I have no favorite upload site. They all suck. >.>

3024 lines of code and the MigLayout library. >.<

Someone assure me that it works. :p

Last edited:

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Name: Melissa Meridian!

Appearance:

Bio: Melissa Meridian, as generated by the Character Maker.

STR: 2
DEX: 3
CON: 2
INT: 2
PER: 4
WIL: 1

Level: 20 Inspired

Stamina: 26
Orgasm: 22
Speed: 10
Essence: 64

Qualities: (0 unspent points)
Acute Sight (2)
Fast Reaction Time (2)
Iron Woman level 2 (2)
Photographic Memory (2)
Resistance: Toxin (1)
Situational Awareness (2)

Drawbacks: (9 unspent points)
Honorable level 1 (1)

Skills: (0 unspent points)
Computer Hacking level Computer Hacking
Demolitions level 1
Driving (Auto, HMMWV) level 1
Electronics level 1
First Aid level 2
Guns (rifles) level 2
Guns (assult rifles) level 3
Melee (Knife, Rifle-Butt) level 2
Mechanic level 1
Notice level 1
Stealth level 2
Survival level 1

Metaphysics:
The Gift (5)
Increased Essence Pool x10 (10)
Divine Sight

This post generated by the AWMBI Character Creator by:
>>>thetwo<<<

Okay, first the good news:
  • It runs!
  • It calculates things neatly!
  • It gives good error messages!
And now the bad news:
  • It won't generate if you've got unspent attribute points. Which is entirely possible to have, if you went totally balanced like I did.
  • It won't generate unless you feed it a hyperlink to a (purely theoretical) image.
  • It won't generate if you've got unspent skill points. Less likely than having spare attribute points, but still...
  • It's got no capability of accepting multiple types of Driving or Melee skills.
And the odd news:
  • The window's a little large for fitting on a 1024x768 screen. I couldn't tell if there were any buttons at the bottom.

Last edited:

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, first the good news:
-It runs!
-It calculates things neatly!
-It gives good error messages!
Horray!

And now the bad news:
-It won't generate if you've got unspent attribute points. Which is entirely possible to have, if you went totally balanced like I did.
Well, that's what I get for only running two test cases. It currently allows you to have 1 unspent attribute point, with the reasoning that if you had two, why not spend them? Turns out you can do 3-3-2-2-2-2 and have 2 points left over and no way to spend them. I'll correct that one.

-It won't generate unless you feed it a hyperlink to a (purely theoretical) image.
Well, you are supposed to have an image... but I'll stick in some behavior for simply not having one, I guess.

-It won't generate if you've got unspent skill points. Less likely than having spare attribute points, but still...
Ah, a solution occurs to me. I'll just have it give up a pop-up with all the warnings that aren't game-ending.

-It's got no capability of accepting multiple types of Driving or Melee skills.
This one's a little difficult. With resistances you can just do a list of the ones you want in the text box... but that doesn't work so well for driving/melee because you'd probably want several points (or at least the option to have several points) in each.

I'll think about decent ways to allow this that don't involve trying to move stuff around in the window while the program is running (just isn't going to work with how things are set up right now, and there's 800 lines of code setting up the window). I suppose I'll have to think of something before I declare a 'final' version, but since I don't think we have anyone with multiple driving/melee specialties... (Honestly, multiple driving specialties? That sounds like it might be a carry-over from AFMBE or something, since we're not exactly finding vehicles that we could be trying to drive. Melee could happen I guess, but since different melee things are functionally so similar, there's no good gameplay reason to do it. Any RP reasons could (and probably should, I hate people who make bad characters for RP reasons when they could change (not remove, change) some trivial details and have a good character) be shifted to brawling or something instead.)

* The window's a little large for fitting on a 1024x768 screen. I couldn't tell if there were any buttons at the bottom.
Doh. My screen is 1280x1024, and the window is... 850x900. No buttons at the bottom, but a text box that describes things when you mouse-over them. Um... I'd like to fix that but things start to break if I make the window too small. >.>

I'll see how small I can make it before things break.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

...Every problem I triggered (spent 18 Attribute points, image file AWOL, multiple Driving/Melee skills) is something that good ol' Melissa has.

Two Driving skills? Do you really think balancing a motorcycle, steering an automatic-drive sedan, and wrestling a many-geared semi would all be covered by the same skill?

Well, you are supposed to have an image... but I'll stick in some behavior for simply not having one, I guess.
The problem here is that it requires an actual hyperlink to an image file - that is, a string that starts "http://" and ends with ".jpg" or ".gif" or somesuch. If your avatar image is, say, hosted here at ULMF in an album, then it's more like "http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=1397". Which displays properly, placed in IMG tags, but sure doesn't match what your proggy's looking for.
Doh. My screen is 1280x1024, and the window is... 850x900. No buttons at the bottom, but a text box that describes things when you mouse-over them. Um... I'd like to fix that but things start to break if I make the window too small. >.>

I'll see how small I can make it before things break.
It doesn't have to be that much smaller... I can see the descriptive text box. Maybe move it to the right side instead of underneath?

Last edited:

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Two Driving skills? Do you really think balancing a motorcycle, steering an automatic-drive sedan, and wrestling a many-geared semi would all be covered by the same skill?
No, but I don't think the difference is something that's likely to come up often in-game. I mean, this isn't exactly a perfect mirror of reality...

The problem here is that it requires an actual hyperlink to an image file - that is, a string that starts "http://" and ends with ".jpg" or ".gif" or somesuch. If your avatar image is, say, hosted here at ULMF in an album, then it's more like "http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=1397". Which displays properly, placed in IMG tags, but sure doesn't match what your proggy's looking for.
Yea, right now it requires something reasonably close to a valid image URL: "http://\S+\.(jpe?g|gif|png|svg)". I've added in an exception for pictures hosted on the ULMF, but if someone can find me something closer to what the forum software actually looks for before trying to display the image...

It doesn't have to be that much smaller... I can see the descriptive text box. Maybe move it to the right side instead of underneath?
Right side is doable, but that'd push the *width* of the image beyond some common monitor resolutions. I can squish it some vertically before it breaks (but almost none at all horizontally, for some odd reason to do with the interface between MigLayout and JScrollPane.)

Edit: It works fine on 850x800, but the "description" box for "skills" is down to 3 lines of text before it needs to add a scroll bar. That's fine, as the longest skill descriptions were trimmed down to 3 lines of text, but any more and it'll be annoying.

Last edited:

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Yea, right now it requires something reasonably close to a valid image URL: "http://\S+\.(jpe?g|gif|png|svg)". I've added in an exception for pictures hosted on the ULMF, but if someone can find me something closer to what the forum software actually looks for before trying to display the image...
Hrm...

Short answer? It doesn't. Look for a valid image, that is. The BBCode just directly translates into an IMG SRC tag.
Right side is doable, but that'd push the *width* of the image beyond some common monitor resolutions. I can squish it some vertically before it breaks (but almost none at all horizontally, for some odd reason to do with the interface between MigLayout and JScrollPane.)

Edit: It works fine on 850x800, but the "description" box for "skills" is down to 3 lines of text before it needs to add a scroll bar. That's fine, as the longest skill descriptions were trimmed down to 3 lines of text, but any more and it'll be annoying.
There's no way to wrap the lines of text more? That is, make it more like a newspaper column?

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Short answer? It doesn't. Look for a valid image, that is. The BBCode just directly translates into an IMG SRC tag.
What, so in your post it actually pings google and tries to render robots.txt as an image? That doesn't sound right...

There's no way to wrap the lines of text more? That is, make it more like a newspaper column?
Well yea, it'll do line wrap... but I hate newspaper style inch-wide columns. >.<

Anyway, I re-arranged the skills page so that skills are listed in 3 columns and I'm reasonably happy with how it looks at 900x700.

I'll edit this post in a moment with an updated upload.

Edit: here - View attachment AWMBI 2.zip