What's new

ACT [barreytor] Violet's Escape from the Pleasure Purgatory (formerly Endless Tentacles) [TDS]

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Violet's Escape from the Pleasure Purgatory is a top down shooter with H content and the characteristic random generation of maps and items usually found in roguelikes.
There will be plot, just not yet.

With a simple mouse + WASD control scheme (plus E for picking up items and R to reload), it should be easy to pick up and play.

The most up-to-date version (0.0.2) includes:
  • 7 different weapons (One is a rocket launcher)
  • 2 different enemies
  • Ammo pickups! (FINALLY)
  • Playable fullscreen
  • A simple yet effective saving system, keeping in line with the roguelike side (Yes, it deletes your save on load)
  • Updated the cutins and the gameover graphics (Tell me what you think of the change)

MEGA Link:

Sample image:

Note: The bug that made the floor unfinishable because it left you stranded in an unconnected room? It shouldn't affect anyone anymore.

Former original post:
A top down shooter with roguelike elements and H content.

That's what "Endless Tentacles" is. At least until it gets its name changed to the actual final name, and the storyline gets added on top of that.

Here's a sample picture:

And here's the link to download the first, earliest demo version:

It doesn't have much yet, only three basic weapon options, one enemy, and one gameover CG (the generic one), but the building blocks for the rest of the game are mostly set up.
(Specially if I manage to stomp the few most annoying bugs that rarely happen but do happen)

Controls are pretty standard: WASD to move, click to shoot, R to reload, and E to pick up stuff.
Remember to actually pick up stuff as it's not picked up automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bleahblah

Re: Endless Tentacles (Temporary name) [Top Down Shooter]

Looks promising! What kind of enemies and features did you have in mind?

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Right now I don't have neither a rigid set of features/enemies nor am really able to think about them.

It's half "Anything goes!" and half "But what do I actually do?".
Plan is having around five... Yeah, five bosses. Don't know how many regular enemies will be needed to have enough variety for that though.

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

After much thinking (and waiting to see if anyone else replied so I didn't feel like I was just bumping it), I can definitely say the game will have five bosses.

I'm not surely certain about what will they be except for a single one, and that one I don't want to spoil anything until I actually have it done (what with nothing being set in stone), so I just won't.

As for enemies, there will be some that attack you from range, and maybe one or two that are just bags of health. Maybe one that can walk through walls? If I manage to make it fun, I guess.

As for the weapons themselves, after fixing one big-ass bug (if you reload and the spare ammo count would go to 0, you'd lose the ammo but wouldn't get the reload) I'm looking into adding something that goes boom.

Bugs are a nasty bunch, too. What with the one that locks you on an empty room, and the one that makes some walls not actually be walls. I hopefully have sidestepped the issue, with a "fix" that isn't perfect and isn't a fix, but should hide the problem the bugs caused.

I guess that's all that I have to mention for now, unless there's someone who knows of any other nasty bugs or wants to make any suggestion about the game. I'll probably update with a new demo of Violet's adventure in shooting stuff once I have a second enemy.

R

Ryka

This is the most ambitious start of any game that I have seen that uses 3D graphics correctly. Good job. But as it stands, it is still just a start. My suggestion is that the clothes damage hierarchy should not be hit-box detected. Meaning, I should not need to be double grappled in order to lose my bottoms. Unless you have plans for an "easy/medium/hard" system in mind for the enemies.

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Actually, it's more a per-enemy thing.
These enemies do attack the top first, but the second one of a grapple attacks the bottom. There will be enemies that attack the bottom first, too.

chuenlee

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Bro you say your game might need help since its still pre-pre working right.

i think this game might help u a bit ( サキュバス・アクションRPG/RJ150870 )

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I'm kind of not sure how to handle having various types of weapons. I mean, yeah, I can technically handle it, but I'm still wondering what way to approach the ammo issue.

I can either have every weapon keep its own ammo count, or have a few ammo types, one for every weapon type (not unlike in Borderlands).
Personally I might lean on over the latter, but makes me wonder if I should let the player hold ammo they can't use, or not.
(In other words, should the player be able to hold shotgun shells without having a shotgun?)

Bro you say your game might need help since its still pre-pre working right.

i think this game might help u a bit ( サキュバス・アクションRPG/RJ150870 )
@chuenlee: I am not exactly sure in what way that game could help me. Maybe you could be a little more specific?

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Maybe have alternate weapons be limited to the ammo they have in them like hotline miami or that flash game called madness interactive

R

Ryka

Never trust a post that begins with "bro". Just a protip.

I love the concept of the damage system. Let enemies touch you and you take damage until you walk out of overlapping them. It invites one to just... lose on purpose, but also gives a fair challenge and advantage to bat the game.

I would love to see more on this.

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Kinda just wanted to have some sort of grab and damage system that didn't take the control away and force to do something like mashing keys.
It's bad enough to let yourself get surrounded, though, because the way weapons are, you can't hit an enemy that is at an arm's length.

I also had to put in quite some work to update the weapon system in preparation for the weapon randomization system I am going to build. And for having a limited amount of ammo kinds.

I don't want to post another demo until I have a second enemy, though.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sangoku25

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Full Screen makes the faulty control.

ka whether this is intended to end up in the plain on 3 ner platform where it does not go on XD

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Full Screen makes the faulty control.

ka whether this is intended to end up in the plain on 3 ner platform where it does not go on XD
Neither of those are intended, and I believe I'll have them both fixed by the time I get the next demo ready and set up.

chuenlee

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

chuenlee: I am not exactly sure in what way that game could help me. Maybe you could be a little more specific?[/QUOTE]

my mistake for not saying how or what, but the game i list is almost same as your game.

1) 3D image of the MC.
2) Rape image of MC when touch. In 3D
3) MC throw weapons/arrow (your case Guns) at monsters
4) Real time base move/hit with keyboard (your case add with a mouse)

This might be extra but having mutli clothes/characters will be better option.
Like moving speed,carry more ammo/ weapons, etc etc...

like i say go try the demo or see the demo video it might help u.

And Lila if u dun like the post just say it and i will remove it. i do not like words of war. :mad:

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I've made the pics for the second enemy type. Wondering if an enemy that walks through walls is too much of a dick move.

Oh, and I really have to make ammo pickups that are picked up on touching them. And have those give a fairly higher amount of ammo than weapons do.

It'll be fun seeing how all the weapons get abused until I set up a progression system to pace the weapons so you can't get a +8 rocket launcher in the first floor.
(Yes, a +8 rocket launcher is a thing that can happen. Also, two handgun alternatives)

Spoilered: Reply/Quote to chuenlee. You can skip that and not miss anything important.
chuenlee: I am not exactly sure in what way that game could help me. Maybe you could be a little more specific?
my mistake for not saying how or what, but the game i list is almost same as your game.

1) 3D image of the MC.
2) Rape image of MC when touch. In 3D
3) MC throw weapons/arrow (your case Guns) at monsters
4) Real time base move/hit with keyboard (your case add with a mouse)

This might be extra but having mutli clothes/characters will be better option.
Like moving speed,carry more ammo/ weapons, etc etc...

like i say go try the demo or see the demo video it might help u.

And Lila if u dun like the post just say it and i will remove it. i do not like words of war. :mad:[/QUOTE]

So, aside from telling me "go try that out" (which I did do the first time you told me, hence me asking why would that be helpful) you mention stuff my game already has?
Like, the pic of the MC. Which, if I remember well, in that other game was a fancy but soon becomes annoying animation loop of the MC walking.

Or the other things, where the games are similar (in a very broad sense of the word) except for mine not having animated grabs for every enemy (even if it's just the one right now) and you mention the other having it "when touch" when in fact I had to go ahead and get myself beaten.

As for the rest, more ammo/weapons are already thought and in development. Moving speed is good enough as it is right now because there's no need to be a speed devil.
And for more clothes or characters, characters is going to be a big fat no, and clothes is going to be a "not right now because it's a resource drain I am not going to pour effort at this moment".

Seriously, it's the very first early demo of them all.
I don't know what's worse, that you compared it to a full and complete game, or that you expected me to understand how that game should help me in ways that were already decided.

*sigh*

It's funny is all

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

enemies that can ignore walls would definitely be interesting. could have different variants, one that isnt much of a threat but (relatively) frequently encountered and vice versa.

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Alright, I did get the wall-ignoring enemy AI done but... I now have slight problems before I can post the newer version.
They're relatively tame problems and shouldn't take long, but I just probably jinxed myself just right there. Anyway.

First off, I learned a bit and found some ways to fix some problems, but that means I'm going to have to rerender, well, everything. That might take a while, but it's not what I'd call a great amount of effort.

Also, I found myself having a crappy sucky stupid name for the regular assault rifle. Any name ideas for that one would be nice, or should I just call it "Assault Rifle"?

That's... That's pretty much all of it. Hopefully, this weekend the newer, vastly improved (but not in content amount) demo should be up.

BlueLight

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

A lot of visual bugs happen if you put the screen in fullscreen mode with alt+enter. It is nearly impossible to aim, and elements of the game don't line up correctly.

I doubt you want to be handling that right now but add it to the bug list.

Also i'd add some feed back to the enemies when hit. For instances making enemies spurt blood or flash a different color.
For the enemies i think they're getting to close to the player. You should be able to be shot when they stand next to the player, and they should be more lively.
Maybe have them dodge when the player aims at them every 2 seconds (So they're on a cool down timer).
Anyways here is a chart i made.

A - Unedited
B - Current attack radius
C - Suggested new attack radius
D - Additional area in front of the gun.

By allowing the player to hit people attacking him, you allow for enemy type that can move much quicker than the player.

I think ammo boxes should be your main source of ammo and when you walk over them, and you have room in your inventory, you should pick them up automatically.

Edit

For the rifle name, you could use BL-15

Last edited:
OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Actually, those things have been fixed, just waiting to fix some other minor stuff before uploading. I'll most probably upload a new version within the next few hours.

Reaper875

Demon Girl
Reputation score

This game looks intriguing my friend :). Good luck with it, I am sure it will be great :)