What's new

ACT [barreytor] Violet's Escape from the Pleasure Purgatory (formerly Endless Tentacles) [TDS]

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Re: Violet's Escape from the Pleasure Purgatory (formerly Endless Tentacles) [TDS]

After a fancy side dish of inadvertently finding bugs I accidentally caused, or accidentally causing more bugs, and fixing both of those (they were easy fixes), I uploaded and posted in the OP the new demo version with its final name.

Go and test it! It has a rocket launcher!

VSPAR

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Re: Violet's Escape from the Pleasure Purgatory (formerly Endless Tentacles) [TDS]

Keep up the good work! We love your stuff, and you rule!
Woot! Great games that have boobies!
Yay!
Wohoo!
Awesome!
(ok, I'm done)

-VSPAR

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

After a fancy side dish of inadvertently finding bugs I accidentally caused, or accidentally causing more bugs, and fixing both of those (they were easy fixes), I uploaded and posted in the OP the new demo version with its final name.

Go and test it! It has a rocket launcher!
Nice demo! I did once see one of the enemies (not the wall walking type) out of bounds, but didn't notice any bugs besides that.

I'm assuming Q is a developer shortcut button that won't be in the final game. ;)

Only real issue currently is that the game is much too easy; there's no real danger of even taking any damage currently (unless it changes on much lower floors; I went down to 18 before getting bored and letting the enemy catch me). I assume that will change as more enemies are added.

Maybe there could be an incentive for playing a little riskier. Floors that don't allow reloads, or don't allow shooting at all, or something.

Mistah F.

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I do like top down shooters.

Even though you've solved the problem of the player character's visibility in this genre with the side graphic, I still think you could do more to sex up her in-game graphic. Maybe make her boobs more visible overhead, maybe come up with excuses for her to end up on her back during normal gameplay?

It's odd to me that I don't get slowed down, stopped, or blocked by enemy collisions. If the enemies were harder to shake off, it would be easier or even possible to be surrounded and add more challenge and fun to the game, especially with BlueLight's suggestions. It would feel more exciting and tactile too.

The the wall-phasing enemies were a great idea. Enemies are usually easier in corridors, these are harder in corridors.

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

As a bit of marketing advice, I'd highly suggest having the images un-spoilered, because on this forum and anything else NSFW-involved, people will want to see the images ASAP on the first post.

(Some mobile phones can't handle spoiler tags on forums, and really there's no need to spoiler anything NSFW on here either, haha.)

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

What is this witchcraft I'm seeing? They look like suggestions on how to make the game better! (Yet noone mentions the difference in the art between versions)

The reason that enemies don't slow or block you, is that I didn't want getting grabbed be too hindering, but if it's too easy as it is I'll see if I can make being grabbed give you a slight slowdown at the very least.

Also, these enemies are the simplest ones, but it's true that right now you can't hurt them if they're too close. What I thought as a way to fix that is having a melee-range attack that would allow you to stun the enemies for a second or two and get some space between you and them, instead of just increasing their grabby range.
If I do make the enemies slow down on grab, I'll have to make this too.
(And, of course, having some enemies stun you by knocking you down, too. Don't think I'll actually have sexy in the sprites though)

I guess there's no danger because you're able to walk faster than any of them. Hmm
Guess I could put up a test version where all the two enemies can walk faster than you, see how that feels. But only after making a way to be able to shake them off, of course.

And yes, Q is a developer shortcut and won't be in the final game. Or the next demo for that matter.
The only reason it's in this one is that I completely forgot about its existence.

(Not thinking currently on having floors randomly limit you, although that sounds like a nice feature I'll be looking at in the future, probably after the first boss is done)

Btw, thanks HentaiWriter for telling me to unspoiler the pic. Guess I got too used to spoilering stuff that would make the post bigger.

X

Xeen18

It has some good hints in it, and since it's only a 0.0.2, I'm sure new versions will be better.
But it's a good start, so keep it up!
On the question's side, just gonna ask: will there be a "game over" screen for every enemy or will it just stay like it's now? Also, are you going to put new images for every enemy or even a gallery?
(And, in case you're wondering, I've pretty much skipped all the previous comments, so if you have already answered, just say and I'll check it out)

ragm54

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of the mechanics, at first I thought it was going to have clunky controls and impossible difficulty but to my surprise it plays really well!

It still needs more work, that's obvious, may I suggest increasing the difficulty through the enemies behaviour? For now is easy, too easy.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Some lighting might go a long way to making it more challenging, bonus points if its dynamic. Wolfenstahls Last Demon Hunter game does it pretty well, you cant see enemies that you don't have direct line of sight to.

If you have played dead space, an enemy that acts like the twitcher would be pretty cool too. It moves a short distance very quickly, stops for a moment and moves again, in a bit of a zig-zag pattern towards the player.

Ranged enemies that temporarily slow the player down with their attacks (DS3 had one of these) would also make the "easiest" enemies still threatening in such a situation.

Also with "grapples" imo it should slow the player down at the very least. You would think they would put at least some effort into keeping you in place.

GS90

Demon Girl
Reputation score

On laptops, trying to use the touchpad is unresponsive while keys are pressed. Maybe add some controls to make aiming/fireing done by keys as well.

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Having an alternate control setup that doesn't use the mouse is planned, I just have no idea how exactly would it play and what buttons it'd use.

Edit: Checked the other posts and now I can reply, so there.

Game over screens are going to be only per-boss, with the current one being for non-boss enemies.
All the enemies will have cutin inmages for how they handle Violet, and while a gallery mode is planned in the future, it's not a priority.

While dynamic lighting might be a good plan, it would greatly cut down on the visibility, specially in corridors and against the wall-phasing enemies. I'll keep it in mind as an extra difficulty feature, but it probably won't make it in the main game because...
Having enemies slow down the player on grapple or with ranged attacks are good ideas, I had them too, but I need to have the player have some way to fight back a bit in those cases, or limit the extent of its hindrance.

And increasing the difficulty of the enemies through their behavior... How? It's not like I'm going to know what to do to make them harder. I have some ideas, but until they are tried I won't know if they work.

All in all, I'd rather have the game end up being too easy than too hard, but I agree that it should have some amount of difficulty. That, and I guess I'll end up setting a FAQ section in the first post.

Last edited:

ragm54

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Having an alternate control setup that doesn't use the mouse is planned, I just have no idea how exactly would it play and what buttons it'd use.

Edit: Checked the other posts and now I can reply, so there.

Game over screens are going to be only per-boss, with the current one being for non-boss enemies.
All the enemies will have cutin inmages for how they handle Violet, and while a gallery mode is planned in the future, it's not a priority.

While dynamic lighting might be a good plan, it would greatly cut down on the visibility, specially in corridors and against the wall-phasing enemies. I'll keep it in mind as an extra difficulty feature, but it probably won't make it in the main game because...
Having enemies slow down the player on grapple or with ranged attacks are good ideas, I had them too, but I need to have the player have some way to fight back a bit in those cases, or limit the extent of its hindrance.

And increasing the difficulty of the enemies through their behavior... How? It's not like I'm going to know what to do to make them harder. I have some ideas, but until they are tried I won't know if they work.

All in all, I'd rather have the game end up being too easy than too hard, but I agree that it should have some amount of difficulty. That, and I guess I'll end up setting a FAQ section in the first post.
How to improve enemy behaviours, that's a good question, but for me would be having black enemies not fighting alone, always in groups and if one is alone and sees you, runs away to find another enemy to help her. For pink would be something like Mario's Boos, when you look at them they hide behind the walls and come at you when you are not looking.

For the slow down upon an enemy grabbing you, you could add a melee attack, it pushes enemies back and is the only way to free yourself from the grapple.

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Been hard for me to think because I feel like I'm melting all the time. Hopefully this will be something temporary until the heatwave goes away, but if all comes to worse, I'll try to endure the heat and the heat and push some work out the door.

I sincerely hope I didn't just jinx myself to a summer of unbearable heat there.

Mistah F.

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Good luck!

ragm54

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Still alive buddy?

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Sadly, yes, which means I don't have an excuse for not having said anything or having anything to show about anything in a while.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sadly, yes, which means I don't have an excuse for not having said anything or having anything to show about anything in a while.
Working on these things of your own volition isnt easy especially when you have higher priorities, i cant blame you

Vinceras

Formerly Havokor
Reputation score

You could have the black enemies as ambush enemies instead of just normally roaming enemies. Put a bunch of doors all over the place and have them randomly come out in groups. That'd push up the difficultly level a bit.

R

Ryka

Bump for justice! Whatever happened to this game? Is it still getting progress?

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

No, it's not getting any progress. All my efforts belong to ODK right now, went back to square one to try and finish what I started.