Books

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Books

Well, anything much longer than 1000 pages pretty much has to be split into two parts.
Indeed. But the only reason Martin did it was because he was taking so damn long finishing his book. So he only told the story from half the character's perspectives leaving us with no clue what was happening outside the main city after the third book. The fourth also ended on a cliffhanger, which means I'll have to wait until book 6 to find out what happened after book 4.

Ranger Princess

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I just finished Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan and I recommend it! It's historical fantasy/romance from Elizabethan England and sets two worlds, London and a Fae world called Onyx Court that is below London against each other. It's a pretty light read but still interesting. I don't know much about the time period but I think it's accurate aside from the fantasy parts (duh). I really liked the faerie world and the mythology/folklore/occult religion behind it. Also the characters are believable and interesting and the romance is not at all x-rated.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I am very proud of you Copper. Unfortunately he's going to be pissed after reading the fourth book, finding a cliffhanger and realizing the author is taking his fucking time about releasing the second half of book four.
At least we can hope this one doesn't die before the series ends, aye? *knocks on wood* And likely given the rate that I'm guessing he goes through the books, it's not much of a problem. Somehow I doubt a guy with a rambunctious rugrat reads all that quick, but then, he might surprise me.

DragonBlood87

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I've been reading the Nightside series (Simon R. Green) and the Malazan Book of the Fallen series (Steven Erikson), and I second the recommendations already made for them.

Nightside: I've only read the first book so far, but it has a similar style to the Dresden Files so far. Jim Butcher fans will most likely enjoy it.

Malazan: It's... hard to describe, but it's an epic kind of tale; the closest thing I can think of is the Lord of the Rings, though the writing styles are very different. Very interesting and entertaining, though.

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

I've been reading the Nightside series (Simon R. Green) and the Malazan Book of the Fallen series (Steven Erikson), and I second the recommendations already made for them.

Nightside: I've only read the first book so far, but it has a similar style to the Dresden Files so far. Jim Butcher fans will most likely enjoy it.

Malazan: It's... hard to describe, but it's an epic kind of tale; the closest thing I can think of is the Lord of the Rings, though the writing styles are very different. Very interesting and entertaining, though.
The Nightside was a very entertaining series for me, though certainly not the best written. Fans of Harry Dresden will probably enjoy it, though the Dresden Files is the better series by far.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I've heard some good stuff about the Dresden Files, though I've yet to pick it up. I should probably remedy that as some good Urban Fantasy would be fun to read.

eternities

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I wholeheartedly recommend the Dresden Files, they're awesome.

for scifi though I like Old Man's War and its sequels, though I can't think of the author for the life of me right now.:(

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

I've heard some good stuff about the Dresden Files, though I've yet to pick it up. I should probably remedy that as some good Urban Fantasy would be fun to read.
Oh dear lord. The Dresden Files are my absolute favorite book series ever written by anyone. They are simply amazing, from book one to book whothefuckcares.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Anyone else read the Coldfire trilogy? I just finished the second book today. It's a really good read for those interested in fantasy. I especially like the way magic works.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Hmph. I should read Hijinks Ensue more often.

Apparently, J. K. Rowling is teasing at maybe another 3 books for Harry Potter.

Well, if she does make more books, I'd personally like more stuff on what went on at Hogwarts when Harry's dad was there. I mean, yeah, we get glimpses of it in the books that are out already, and we already know how things play out, but I would kinda like to see a book dedicated to that portion of the story, just to get more of an idea of the history.

Other than that, maybe a book dedicated to Quidditch? Follows the rise of an underdog team?
Yeah yeah, not like we've seen THAT story before, but, still, I think it'd be interesting.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

So, they did Star Wars + Zombies in "Death Troopers." Now they're doing Star Wars + Vampires in "Red Harvest," which, according to force.net is a PREQUEL to Death Troopers.

My head hurts.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

So, they did Star Wars + Zombies in "Death Troopers." Now they're doing Star Wars + Vampires in "Red Harvest," which, according to force.net is a PREQUEL to Death Troopers.

My head hurts.
Hmmm... don't know what to think. I suppose I can see how it'll be tied together. But 'Death Troopers' wasn't all that good. Seriously, if they had removed it from the Star Wars universe all together it would have made a better book. Don't think I'll read Red Harvest.

Stratiros

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Several people mentioned the Dresden Files earlier, I'm currently reading through them and they are great. Urban fantasy+detective stories. Though I'm usually more a fan of sci-fi, this combo's worked really well.

As for sci-fi if you like military stuff I'd recommend most of what David Weber or John Ringo have written. A lot of their series have the first book available online for free, because Baen is awesome.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

John Ringo has done some great military Sci-Fi. I recommend the books he's done on the Posleen Wars, one of my favorites being "Watcher on the Rhein" which follows Germany's efforts in this intergalactic war.

Stratiros

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

That was an interesting one, I'm impressed by his willingness to actually use such a controversial idea in a book. And while the Posleen Wars are great the Into the Looking Glass series is my favorite of his.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

My Master Jack overseas always told me that. He's the one who leant me Watcher on the Rhein to begin with. I should look into it really.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

I like the "Into the Looking Glass" series too, although the "There Will Be Dragons" series is a close second. Schlockiverse fans will find much to enjoy in "Live Free or Die", too.

Tanya Huff's gotten up to her fifth novel in the Valor series now. I like the way she throws bits of Canadiana into that series - and with "The Enchantment Emporium", which is set in Calgary.

I got tired of Honor Harrington about when he started adding in the Mesans. Only so many promotions you can give a lady, after all.

Anybody here a Ciaphas Cain fan? Warhammer 40k done Blackadder style, loads of fun.

Stratiros

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

In so much as I've read one book and really liked it I'm a Caphias Cain fan, hell I like the 40K universe as a whole. But would never want to live there.... maybe visit Slaanesh... maybe...

But either way, I'm out of books to recommend until the 3rd when I have access to my book collection again.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I like the "Into the Looking Glass" series too, although the "There Will Be Dragons" series is a close second. Schlockiverse fans will find much to enjoy in "Live Free or Die", too.

Tanya Huff's gotten up to her fifth novel in the Valor series now. I like the way she throws bits of Canadiana into that series - and with "The Enchantment Emporium", which is set in Calgary.

I got tired of Honor Harrington about when he started adding in the Mesans. Only so many promotions you can give a lady, after all.

Anybody here a Ciaphas Cain fan? Warhammer 40k done Blackadder style, loads of fun.
Only read one of Tanya Huff's novels, and I rather enjoyed it... yet another series I should look into. Damn I'm falling behind.

I'd taken a break from novels for awhile there to go through a few zombie Anthologies (Living Dead 1/2, and The New Dead), and to re-read World War Z.

And what do you mean by "only so many promotions you can give a lady"? As in, it gets closer to boring the closer she is to the top? Or she becomes so powerful she gets overpowered?

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

So... July 12th 2011 is the release date of George R.R. Martin's Dance with Dragons. Fuckin finally.

I really can't wait to get my hands on the book and tear into it and see what the second half of Feast for Crows was.