What's new

C.Y.O.A.S. - Sigil

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score
Re: C.Y.O.A.S. - Sigil

I thought I knew which sigil you were talking about. Aside from the abyss the outlands (I'm drawing a blank, but I'm pretty sure that's the name of the plane) are my favorite plane.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Dear sweet lord we're going to Sigil with that much jink? Thank the gods thieves know all about pick-pockets...

((And I don't see the Outlands as so much of a 'plane' but they're fun. Yes.))

3 - Make sure to the best of our ability we're not going to walk into anyone and *then* step on through, casually.

Kane

Lurker
Reputation score

It seems to me that walking in Sigil's streets while invisible isn't such a good idea. Plus, the chances are that there will be someone who can see straight through that kind of spell, so...

1 - Walk right in.

Plus, when you bump into someone in a story, it's not just a random guy. It's a random important guy.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Unless that random important guy just happens to be a pit fiend...at which point I'd rather not have to start the conversation with "I'm sorry."

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I agree, 2.

OP
Fab10

Fab10

Lurker
Reputation score

''Yes, this is the City of Doors. They must have people popping out of portals all the time. As long as I keep my wits about me I should be fine.'' With that thought, you step in.

Casting a wide glance all around you, you instantly commit the area to memory. You then pick a direction at random and start walking, outwardly appearing to be casually making your way to your destination, while inwardly observing your surroundings, extracting as much information from them as you can.

Your senses of sight and smell are immediatly assaulted by the city. Smell, because, well, it stinks here. The distict odors of blood, filth, smog, and other things you have neither the ability nor the desire to identify mix together to form something uniquely unpleasant.

Your sight, however, is taken simply by the unusual geometry. You already knew that Sigil was built on the inside of a torus, or ring. Of course, passively knowing something and experiencing it are two very different things. ''As soon as I have a moment to myself, I'll have to observe this more fully. Right now though, I can't let it distract me.''

The people around you are quite diverse. Some glance your way in mild curiosity; most don't seem to care. There are some humans, few elves, dwarves, some planetouched - mostly tieflings, a few humanoids that you don't recognize...

Some of the people are standing and chating together in groups of three or four, others walk along by themselves. One group standing near an alley are sneaking you and your coin purse some ''subtle'' glances. They might as well have the word ''pickpocket'' branded on their foreheads for all the difference it would make to you. You look them right in the eyes, and suddenly they don't seem to think you'd make such a good target anymore. Over on the other side of the street, a rotund man is arguing vigorously at some humanoid being you've never seen before. It has yellow-tan skin, white hair, goat-like horns, and is wearing a brown robe. It is about 5'6'' tall, though it appears taller due to the fact that it is floating slightly above the ground. The most unusual thing about it, however, is that it does not answer the other man verbally; instead, shining golden simbols appear over its head and stay there until the other man barks out his response.

''Well, this isn't getting me anywhere. I was hoping that a contact would be waiting for me near the portal, but... yeah. Looks like I'll need to move to plan B. If only I'd took the time figure one out before stepping through, that would've helped...''

1) ''First, I'll need a home base. I should try to find an inn or something, then go from there.''

2) ''Well, I don't know much about this place. I should go find a guide, or ''tout'' as they call them here.''

3) ''Maybe I can get somewhere by... interacting with the locals.'' - please specify target and mode of interaction.

4) ''...'' - please specify.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I agree. 1 seems the most feasible at this point.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I concur, an inn is also a good place to find information.
(I choose 1.)

Kane

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, although my vote won't be counting for a lot, I'd say 2 : the touts are actually pretty common, and they don't charge a lot. You just need to be watchful of their hands...

Besides, to find a suitable inn, you'd have to ask a tout, right? Or you could end up in some really wierd place...

[Planescape] was a setting where cannibal halflings could open an eatery and employ a Drow as the bartender while an angel and a demon fought each other on the floor of the bar.
—Allen Rausch​

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

[Planescape] was a setting where cannibal halflings could open an eatery and employ a Drow as the bartender while an angel and a demon fought each other on the floor of the bar.
Reminds me of the bar we had in our home grown campaign...run by a succubus (eventually...it was started by a Talosian and a...I don't know what the fuck the one guy was besides insane.), bartended by a silver dragon and a tiefling, we had giant on the menu at one point, and it wasn't uncommon to see the winged cat PC loafing on the bar talking to the High Paladin of Bane and a Loviatarian. Although I think upper and lower planar squabbles are looked down upon in the city itself. Not saying they don't happen, but I think they're pretty quickly squelched.

And you don't necessarily *need* a tout to find an inn. Maybe one of the more recommended ones, maybe, but you could probably throw a stone and hit one to stay at. Mystery builds atmosphere!

OP
Fab10

Fab10

Lurker
Reputation score

Sorry, no update for a little while... There's something in RL that I need to take care of right now. I'm hoping to get back to the story by next monday.
Once again, my apologies. :(

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

No worries. Appreciate the update!