What's new

SIM [DapperZapper] Blackjack Crisis game

DapperZapper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Longtime lurker, but I've been playing around with game making and here's a demo for a game I'm working on. Strip Blackjack with Justice League characters.

Download the latest version at:

I am also aware that we're having some trouble with the newer versions of the .exe. If you have any trouble with new versions of the game, here is a copy of the old, working .exe:

Simply download this copy and replace the .exe in the folder for the latest version.

Latest Update Adds:
-2 Game Over scenes apiece for Black Canary and Huntress
-Double or Nothing betting system
-In game dialogue
Bug fixes:
-Hopefully a successful fix to the non-downgrading Ace.

Black Canary and Huntress, stuck on monitor duty and bored, decide to spice up the evening with a little strip blackjack. Little do they know that this quick game will end up having larger ramifications than even they could predict. Unlock new heroes, new villains, and new costumes for more variety in gameplay. Because I'm a huge dork, what was supposed to just be a 'pick this character to play against this character' kind of game now has an increasingly complex story mode, which you'll see more of in later releases.

This here is really just for demo purposes; the current release features four characters, each with two costumes. Future releases will see more characters, more costumes, fixes to the art, a completely revamped title screen, game over scenes, and a gallery mode. The framework for the game is honestly about 90% done, right now what's left is really just creating art resources and implementing them.

Feedback is appreciated; let me know if there's any particular characters, costumes, or features you'd like to see. I have a lengthy list of characters who will be involved eventually, so a lot of suggestions may already be there. For anyone interested, I am not against male characters being added, but I'm working on several projects at once and doing this in my spare time, so creating the art for them is not a priority for me. If anyone wants to contribute art for male characters, contact me and I'd be happy to give you specifications and implement them.

Screenshots:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

GeeSeki

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Re: Blackjack Crisis game

Just quickly tried this little game out and I lost... yet, everybody still wins >:D

OP
D

DapperZapper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Glad you enjoy. I'll give you a tip: in the demo, the opponents are set to high risk, so they'll keep hitting until they land on some higher numbers, which means they can frequently match your score but are at greater risk for busting. While there's a small, inescapable aspect of luck to it, the opponent busts at a high enough rate that it pays off to stay on somewhat lower numbers (16, 17).

There's different levels of riskiness programmed in, but high risk was probably the easiest level to beat, so that's what I put the demo at. Once there's more characters available, the characters will have more distinguishable risk levels.

krisslanza

Lurker
Reputation score

I for one am always a fan of any kind of strip game, particularly ones that are actually strip games!

Its simple, but it works. It could really do with some dialogue to go with the game itself though.

Legrandxav

Lurker
Reputation score

Clickable link for lazy.

You can post links without space, it will be just not clickable but easier to copy/paste.

I tried it, it's funny, well done!

Last edited:

undeadclown

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

It would be nice to add some dialogue in the game itself, so the girls taunt the other when they win, get embarrassed when they lose, etc. Also is there going to be any sex in the game or just nudity? I thought perhaps if you lost to Catwoman something lewd would happen, but alas just a game over.

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I just played it for a couple hours. Really fun, and a very solid design!!! Keep it up! :)

I don't think the game mechanics is missing anything. I think you're definitely at a point where you can just add more content. :)

Cheers!

OP
D

DapperZapper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Thank you guys for the replies. From the responses, I'll be looking into adding dialogue in the scenes; I think I have an idea for a non-invasive way for dialogue to show up, I'll probably have it ready for the next version.

There will be Game Over scenes when I get the artwork ready for them (I plan on two for each character, a soft scene and a harder scene.) I put this version out because I wanted to see the responses and know what needed to be addressed, but the Game Over scenes are next on the docket.

Is everyone finding the unlockables okay? Are they too easy, too hard?

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thank you guys for the replies. From the responses, I'll be looking into adding dialogue in the scenes; I think I have an idea for a non-invasive way for dialogue to show up, I'll probably have it ready for the next version.

There will be Game Over scenes when I get the artwork ready for them (I plan on two for each character, a soft scene and a harder scene.) I put this version out because I wanted to see the responses and know what needed to be addressed, but the Game Over scenes are next on the docket.

Is everyone finding the unlockables okay? Are they too easy, too hard?
my main concern is not being able to advance the text with the mouse

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I haven't found any of the unlockables yet. (I've only played about a dozen matches, and lost about 1/3 of them).

Also, somehow, just once, I had A 2 Q and it told me I'd busted?

Legrandxav

Lurker
Reputation score

I haven't found any of the unlockables yet. (I've only played about a dozen matches, and lost about 1/3 of them).

Also, somehow, just once, I had A 2 Q and it told me I'd busted?
If Ace is the first card you get, it count for 11 points. Q is ten point (like any royal card) so 11+2+10=23 -> Busted.

Can't find any unlockable yet but suspect the game cheat sometime: three 21 in a row, that's just impossible. And many time I lose because I start with 16 points, if I hit, I'm busted, if I stay, opponent got the win...

Last edited:

Darthan

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

If Ace is the first card you get, it count for 11 points. Q is ten point (like any royal card) so 11+2+10=23 -> Busted.
The problem is that that is not how blackjack works. An ace is both 11 and 1 regardless of when you draw it, if a draw would cause you to bust with an ace acting as 11 it becomes 1. So it would be 11+2=13, draw 1+2+10=13 => no bust. If you are going to make a game based on blackjack it should follow the rules of blackjack.

krisslanza

Lurker
Reputation score

The problem is that that is not how blackjack works. An ace is both 11 and 1 regardless of when you draw it, if a draw would cause you to bust with an ace acting as 11 it becomes 1. So it would be 11+2=13, draw 1+2+10=13 => no bust. If you are going to make a game based on blackjack it should follow the rules of blackjack.
I imagine its just an issue with the game looking at the value of the cards, before it checks to see the status of the ace.

Darthan

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I imagine its just an issue with the game looking at the value of the cards, before it checks to see the status of the ace.
Yea, it seems that the game is only checking what the value of the ace should be when it is played, but in blackjack it can change in the middle of a hand. Just trying to point this out so that the creator can fix it.

OP
D

DapperZapper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The game, as I've designed it, is supposed to account for the Aces being 1 or 11 depending on what your score is currently. When an Ace comes down, the game checks the score and if it's 10 or less, it counts it as 11 points, but if the score is 11 or more, counts it as 1. If an Ace is already on the table counting as 11 and you bust, it's supposed to reduce your score by 10 to count the Ace as a 1. If you're busting because an Ace is staying at 11, the game is screwing up and I have to look into the code. I've only had this game making program for 3 months now, and all the coding you see has been made from scratch; there's bound to be bugs. This is what the demo is for.

The game also shouldn't have any way of cheating. When a new card comes down, it's supposed to be totally random (excluding the ones already on the table). If the computer hit 21 three times in a row, that's just exceptionally bad luck. I've been working on trying to get different 'difficulties' going, but that's hard to accomplish while still maintaining random draws. If it helps, I'll let you know the computer is currently set to high risk, which means it will keep hitting until reaches 18.

For the unlockables, try changing the background and playing as different characters. Two of the rooms have animations that occasionally happen in the background, if those are clicked under certain circumstances (certain characters playing, certain characters wearing certain costumes), they should trigger unlockables. There's also some stuff you can do while on the character select screen that should trigger one of the unlockables. The hint button should also give you an idea of where to start while searching for the next unlockable.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The game, as I've designed it, is supposed to account for the Aces being 1 or 11 depending on what your score is currently. When an Ace comes down, the game checks the score and if it's 10 or less, it counts it as 11 points, but if the score is 11 or more, counts it as 1. If an Ace is already on the table counting as 11 and you bust, it's supposed to reduce your score by 10 to count the Ace as a 1. If you're busting because an Ace is staying at 11, the game is screwing up and I have to look into the code. I've only had this game making program for 3 months now, and all the coding you see has been made from scratch; there's bound to be bugs. This is what the demo is for.

The game also shouldn't have any way of cheating. When a new card comes down, it's supposed to be totally random (excluding the ones already on the table). If the computer hit 21 three times in a row, that's just exceptionally bad luck. I've been working on trying to get different 'difficulties' going, but that's hard to accomplish while still maintaining random draws. If it helps, I'll let you know the computer is currently set to high risk, which means it will keep hitting until reaches 18.

For the unlockables, try changing the background and playing as different characters. Two of the rooms have animations that occasionally happen in the background, if those are clicked under certain circumstances (certain characters playing, certain characters wearing certain costumes), they should trigger unlockables. There's also some stuff you can do while on the character select screen that should trigger one of the unlockables. The hint button should also give you an idea of where to start while searching for the next unlockable.
i added a variable to count the number of aces to my wrestling game and check that when checking for bust.
wouldnt the computer player need that information as well to see if its worth hitting again?

OP
D

DapperZapper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

New version of the game posted.

I might have found a solution to the aces problem, but I'm not entirely sure. I've got a total of 8 variables controlling the aces, between the player and the opponent, and of them there was a slight difference in the ordering of commands in the hearts. I'm not convinced that should have created that big of a problem, but it was the only thing that made the command lines behind the Ace of Hearts different from the other aces. I've only been able to reproduce the problem with the Ace not downgrading its score twice that I've noticed, and both times it was a red Ace (not sure of the suit). I haven't seen the problem since the change, but keep an eye out for it.

I added an in game dialogue system. The characters will now talk, to a degree; lamenting their own losses and taunting when they win. I wanted to make it non-invasive to the gameplay, as the dialogue can't help but become repetitive to a degree, so I wanted it to be able to be ignored so it doesn't get old once you've seen all the dialogue.

I added two Game Over scenes apiece for Black Canary and Huntress. The first Black Canary Game Over scene was a little bit of an experiment and has some issues; it will be replaced later but for now this is what we have. Which scene you get is also based on a newly added Double or Nothing system. Starting with a fresh save file, you won't be able to bet Double or Nothing at first, but give it time and it will become an option.

Expect Game Over scenes for the other characters, plus new characters, in the next update.

krisslanza

Lurker
Reputation score

New version of the game posted.

I might have found a solution to the aces problem, but I'm not entirely sure. I've got a total of 8 variables controlling the aces, between the player and the opponent, and of them there was a slight difference in the ordering of commands in the hearts. I'm not convinced that should have created that big of a problem, but it was the only thing that made the command lines behind the Ace of Hearts different from the other aces. I've only been able to reproduce the problem with the Ace not downgrading its score twice that I've noticed, and both times it was a red Ace (not sure of the suit). I haven't seen the problem since the change, but keep an eye out for it.

I added an in game dialogue system. The characters will now talk, to a degree; lamenting their own losses and taunting when they win. I wanted to make it non-invasive to the gameplay, as the dialogue can't help but become repetitive to a degree, so I wanted it to be able to be ignored so it doesn't get old once you've seen all the dialogue.

I added two Game Over scenes apiece for Black Canary and Huntress. The first Black Canary Game Over scene was a little bit of an experiment and has some issues; it will be replaced later but for now this is what we have. Which scene you get is also based on a newly added Double or Nothing system. Starting with a fresh save file, you won't be able to bet Double or Nothing at first, but give it time and it will become an option.

Expect Game Over scenes for the other characters, plus new characters, in the next update.
Huh for some reason I can't actually run the new download... my computer is saying it isn't a valid Win32 app or something. I didn't recall having any issues with the older one...

kittenzoe

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Huh for some reason I can't actually run the new download... my computer is saying it isn't a valid Win32 app or something. I didn't recall having any issues with the older one...
Same here. Windows 10 is telling me "This app can't run on your PC"