Dark Gate OOC Thread

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: PbP Interest Check

Notice: I've had very sparse free time lately, which is why I haven't updated anything, but I want all of you to know that I am NOT dropping this game. I will probably update sometime this week, if not later tonight.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Understandable really... update when you can. Real life comes first after all.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Understandable, but any estimate on how long you plan to test assistant GM candidates? (After you have time to start updating again, obviously.)

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Not sure, but I'll probably assign threads to everyone that still wants to help out. Not too many, probably only one or two per person, just to take some of the stress off of me.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

..................Lulz.

Zenath

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Would there be room for another player, by any chance? Been idly browsing through this section, and this game is the first to really spark my interest...

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

With the other GMs taking some of the work off of me, I guess I could allow another person to join.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Also, I'm still looking for more GMs if anyone else is interested. You can take as many or as few threads as you like.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

I...... might consider. Im running a MSN game for Diagaasvelle at the moment. But it depends on how much they would like in posts.

Though I am willing to help if I CAN.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm sorry if it's been mentioned before, but the Combat talent Hard Hitter gives a +4 to damage, right?

At a cost of 8 experience, couldn't I get 8 body and thus a bunch of HP, speed, dodge, etc, maybe losing out on only 1 or 2 points of damage as a trade-off, depending on my wielded weapon?

More questions:
- I am sort of confused as to how reload speeds work. It has a base speed, then you subtract speed from that, and...? Does that mean I lose that number off a movement range that turn, representative of me standing there nocking another arrow?

- Let's say I took Two-Weapon Fighter and Unarmed Fighter/Skill with unarmed. Could I then punch twice in one turn? :D Similarly, does whirlwind give me 3 attacks or 4 in the case of dual-wielding, can I make a whirlwind with one hand and attack normally with the other, and if dual-wielding must both normal swings be against one guy, or can they be targeted individually? ...I assume no and yes for the last two, respectively, but it's good to clarify I guess.

- I assume spears also have the ability to hit stuff at 10 feet, like polearms can?

- Club/maces do d4 bashing, axes do d6? It also seems that double-edged swords lose out against curved swords - equivalent piercing damage, but the double-edge loses 4 on it's slashing in exchange for the option to do a weak bash attack.

If I may (with my non-experience with the game and tabletop mechanics in general), I'd suggest making maces d6, axes d4, nerfing curved swords down to d8 piercing, and making it so slashing attacks get a flat damage bonus against "unarmored" targets, while piercing ones get a bonus against armored ones - curved swords also get the d2 bashing, which you could say is reversing the blade, Rurouni Kenshin style. Bashing retains it's low divisor as it's "bonus", I guess.

Last edited:

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

When considering damage weapons deal, don't forget to take into account the different body bonuses to damage for the different damage types.

Cappy

Reputation score

Realistically speaking, in medieval times blunt weapons (war hammers, maces, clubs, everything like that) where used specifically against armour because the impact would still cause damage to the person in the tin-can,

I know it may be difficult to implement into the system, but I think blunt force should be more specifically for heavily armoured targets, piercing for regularly armoured targets, and slashing for unarmoured targets.

It seems more real that way, if certain targets are weak to certain attacks.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

As I recall the combat system is to be relatively simple, so as to (I presume) not get a bunch of number-crunching complicating updates, so I wanted a quick, simple fix to help represent the strengths of the three different types.

Blunt weapons, with their /2, do high damage via body attribute. So, they can overcome armor by just doing a ton of damage and overcoming the target's AV. Slashing and Piercing weapons are sorta shafted, though; though they have higher potential, they lose out in reliability. Thus, if they get some additional bonuses, they regain some of that reliability, and...

Well, I'm not really sure where I was going with this. Anyway I want to put out another suggestion, which might help with... somethingIdontknow.

What I'm thinking is that slashing damage becomes an anti-light/unarmored attack, piercing an anti-armor, and blunt sorta general or anti-object.

Blunt weapons remain unchanged. The high body bonus reflects how they damage via sheer trauma. As in, a mace fucks up your whole forearm, whereas a sword just fucks up the slashed-area.

Piercing ignore, say, half a target's AV. This lets it function well against heavy armor, but keeps the actual damage it does low, so you won't be able to smash a table by stabbing it or whatever.

Slashing weapons... I think a flat bonus to damage against lightly-armored enemies is good enough. I'm thinking "lightly armored" as "AV less than or equal to 8", but I've only compared it to the Creation rules armor list, which goes from leather's AV = 4 to Bramble AV=10 - haven't accounted natural armors or anything on monsters.

Cappy

Reputation score

Actually, I have a question, would Gauntlets raise attack power unarmed?
I also want to ask if you can use other body parts in unarmed combat,

example:

Clara raised her foot, and stomped it with all her weight towards the ankle of her
stunned foe, hoping to break his leg, or cause him considerable damage.

example 2:

Jaraden moved his head back in a sharp yanking motion,
and forced his entire head and upper torso forward into a violent butt,
aiming straight for his opponents forehead.

If you can do these, then would a helmet or boots give a bonus as well?

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Other items would only give combat bonuses when I say they do. In other words, you might find something that increases your attack damage in unarmed, but you won't be starting with it.

Yes, you can use whatever body part you want in unarmed, so long as it's reasonable. How your character attacks in h2h is completely up to you, but it won't alter how much damage you do unless you write something particularly impressive.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I have found a new level of respect for weapons such as the mace and the poor saps who would have been hit by them. After taping a big cushion to my lower torso, taping a thick magazine to that, and then waiting as party guests got in line to pelt me in the stomach with a baseball bat... (all in good spirit of course...)

Yeah. I can very much vouch on how bludgeoning weapons really do work, even through armour. Improvised or otherwise.

Just thought I'd add that to the discussion. >_>

Cappy

Reputation score

I have found a new level of respect for weapons such as the mace and the poor saps who would have been hit by them. After taping a big cushion to my lower torso, taping a thick magazine to that, and then waiting as party guests got in line to pelt me in the stomach with a baseball bat... (all in good spirit of course...)

Yeah. I can very much vouch on how bludgeoning weapons really do work, even through armour. Improvised or otherwise.

Just thought I'd add that to the discussion. >_>
Now imagine if you had been wearing a metal helmet, and they where whacking you in the face with a heavier stick xD. lol.

Sounds like a fun party none-the-less, I wish I could have been there!

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

Question, do you have a succubus yet? Irregardless, which race has celibate nuns? I have a really naughty idea for a back story.

Last edited:

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Question, do you have a succubus yet? Irregardless, which race has celibate nuns? I have a really naughty idea for a back story.
I'd assume any race COULD have some. Just pick a race, build your character, and fit the background into it. Worst case, you'll change races if it doesn't match up somehow.