Defeat the Tentacles: Revival

Mind Flayer

The Sexy Futanari Admin Goon
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Defeat the Tentacles: Revival

You know what I'll go ahead and try too. I suggest posting be once every day or two for everyone personally though since there could be times when people might not be able to post, either because emergencies of some sort or thanks to the weather knocking the power out or something like that.

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Roles like a jester (fool) in my extensive experience, simply derail the gameplay on every level. Notwithstanding their ulmf equivalents, things that I believe should be considered for use in the game.

"Town":
Vanilla town (they have a vote during the day and that is it..)
Cop
Doctor
Watcher (watches a person and will see all who visit this person)
Tracker (tracks a person to see who they visit)
Bodyguard
Jailer
Bus Driver (they switch the target between two people)
Miller (registers a false guilty to a cop investigation, otherwise vanilla)
Masons (two people town aligned that both are aware of the other's alignment)

"Neutral":
Survivor (only care about getting to the end game, which side wins is irrelevant to them)
Serial Killer (wants to win alone, able to kill at night)

"Mafia":
Vanilla Mafia (same as town, but mafia sided and able to kill at night)
Godfather (registers innocent to a cop)
Roleblocker (stops any potential night action, watcher is generally immune to this)
Stalker (will learn the role of whoever he visits at night)

I think that with the likelyhood of many beginner level players being in this game, that many of the other roles will simply derail the game.

Asssuming 15 people were in the game, I would want to see a setup close to this:

Vanilla town x5
Mason x2
Cop
Doctor
Survivor
Serial Killer
Vanilla Mafia x2
Godfather
Roleblocker

Just giving everyone something to do at night is generally a bad thing because the balance of the game will get thrown out of whack. Also I strongly suggest against the use of degenerate roles like the Jester among likely others.

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

Hmm, too much people already sign in. I will join too

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Exactly right, good point. That's why I brought it up.

But yes, that sounds good. As well, if every player is ready to move on before the time limit is up, then I'll advance the game early, if that sounds acceptable.

Also, the time limit is there to prevent the game from dragging on for a million forevers should no one feel certain on a lynch vote.

Also, I added the neutral roles, everything should be good to go, so I'll make the thread where the game can begin. New players are welcome to join as well before the first day ends.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hidden roles, drawn from the pool of roles listed in the first post then?

Sounds fine. Challenging, but fine.

I'll play. I think one post per real life day should be a bare minimum. I think we can resolve a full day in 48 hours. Night cycles should only need 24 hours to resolve.

I'd also like to suggest that given it is a forum game, that we go with a plurality, not a majority vote.

So if there are 15 players, and at the end of the day there are:

4 votes for Blue
3 votes for Freeko
3 votes for toxic
2 votes for MAF
2 votes for plmnko
1 vote for Mindflayer

Then Blue would be lynched.

In the event of a tie for first place, the tie-breaker can be the longest held last vote (ie: if Blue and Freeko both have 4 votes, but the last person to vote for Blue did so before the last person who voted for Freeko, then Blue becomes lynched.)

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

*Stumbles in drunkenly.*

Okay. I'm here. I think.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

*rocks Tassadar like a drunken hurricane*

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I was thinking 2 days for Daytime and 1 for night was good too.

Also, since I did enjoy Salem's layout, even if it's players were awful, I will be borrowing it's rules heavily as far as lynching goes. To be premise of what I'm talking about isn't just a lynch vote, but a process: Trial, and then Execution. I'll go through the flow chart of the process here.

Vote the Suspicious: Someone raises suspicion that Blue is a Cultist. No one has any defense to the contrary, so everyone decides via a majority vote to put Blue on the stand.

Trial: Blue gives her defense. "I ain't did it, bitch be lyin yo, check it. Vote inno." But no one is impressed with her attempts at sounding gangster. The vote comes in: 5 Guilty, 1 Innocent, and 4 Abstained.

Execution: Blue is burned at the Pyre.

Something like that. I only like the idea of a more lengthy trial because it helps with mental play, make the victim think they're about to die and they might spill some info to you.

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

I wonder if MAF will place me on the number 13 or 12 of the list : p

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I was thinking 2 days for Daytime and 1 for night was good too.

Also, since I did enjoy Salem's layout, even if it's players were awful, I will be borrowing it's rules heavily as far as lynching goes. To be premise of what I'm talking about isn't just a lynch vote, but a process: Trial, and then Execution. I'll go through the flow chart of the process here.

Vote the Suspicious: Someone raises suspicion that Blue is a Cultist. No one has any defense to the contrary, so everyone decides via a majority vote to put Blue on the stand.

Trial: Blue gives her defense. "I ain't did it, bitch be lyin yo, check it. Vote inno." But no one is impressed with her attempts at sounding gangster. The vote comes in: 5 Guilty, 1 Innocent, and 4 Abstained.

Execution: Blue is burned at the Pyre.

Something like that. I only like the idea of a more lengthy trial because it helps with mental play, make the victim think they're about to die and they might spill some info to you.
If we do the ToS trial/lynch mechanic in a play by post forum mechanic, things will take forever. Or what will happen is that only the first or maybe second person accused during the day will be prosecuted before lynch time is up and the badguys get a free kill.

If this were an irc chat game, I'd agree with it, because everyone would be on at the same time and we would have a real-time back and forth, but forum threads don't work that way in practice.

If you were to go the ToS route, I would agree that we would need 5 RL days per one day cycle.

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Personally I could never get into that town of salem thing. I played mafia for years on pbp sites then epicmafia. It just does not feel like a game of mafia there. Every one has something to do and it is just a game of russian roulette.

I still say a proper game should have half the players at most with a role of power.

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It could potentially take a long time, but I'm personally either on the boat of trial and execution or majority vote lynch. The 'most votes stapled onto this person out of everyone else' rule means that evil can sneak in some easy lynches, and that so long as one person votes for a lynch, it'll probably mean someone's getting lynched one way or another. That's okay in a normal mafia game based on what I've played, but random lynching always feels dirty to me. I'm of the personal opinion that if the townies can't get their shit together enough to vote someone, then they can't lynch anyone. I think that's okay if a day passes without lynching. Sometimes it's strategically wise to do so.

But that's just me. Unless there's a strong hatred of that from you guys, I'd personally prefer a majority >50% vote. Because it makes sense for the town to have to actually agree on something before all working together to get them on the Pyre to burn.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It could potentially take a long time, but I'm personally either on the boat of trial and execution or majority vote lynch. The 'most votes stapled onto this person out of everyone else' rule means that evil can sneak in some easy lynches, and that so long as one person votes for a lynch, it'll probably mean someone's getting lynched one way or another. That's okay in a normal mafia game based on what I've played, but random lynching always feels dirty to me. I'm of the personal opinion that if the townies can't get their shit together enough to vote someone, then they can't lynch anyone. I think that's okay if a day passes without lynching. Sometimes it's strategically wise to do so.

But that's just me. Unless there's a strong hatred of that from you guys, I'd personally prefer a majority >50% vote. Because it makes sense for the town to have to actually agree on something before all working together to get them on the Pyre to burn.
Just in case you think I'm not speaking from a position of experience, I have played ~70 games of play-by-forum werewolf/mafia, and we played by plurality.

It worked because with forums, (and a strict no-editing-your-own-posts policy) left a trail of easily viewed evidence.

So if all the evils decide on day 1 to slip in at the last moment and win a plurality vote, and it comes up with a good being revealed, then those people who suddenly piled on to change the vote become extremely suspicious for an ensuing vote.

Honestly, due to the nature of bandwagoning, I've always found majority vote an easier place to hide for evils than for plurality vote.

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The people I was talking about that enjoy the lack of roles altogether probably have been playing for who knows how long. It doesn't matter too much how long you've been playing, I just find that method of voting too far off from my tastes. Everyone voting for everyone, but Billy dies because one extra voted for him. The thought just doesn't sit well with me, so I don't feel up to it. Understandable?

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Votes have a legacy effect. The only time mafia would truly want to bandwagon is when they have the majority and win the game when that lynch is strong-armed through.

I do not plan on giving away any strategies that I would use, but paying attention to how people are voting throughout the game starts to reveal their intentions.

I would want the majority vote to lynch, obviously. So long as votes are able to be changed up until the deadline or majority being reached, the game should go just fine.

Also, yeah that whole zero post editing thing has to be put into place.

how do you plan on treating the weekend, is it all essentially one day like alot of pbp places consider it to be? There could be times where I am just not available on a saturday for example because .. stuff. I think at least with the start of the game, there should be at least 5 days worth of real game time. Shrinking the length of time a game day lasts could certainly be a thing, but like I said sometimes someone is just so obviously scum that the day lasts about an hour.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I understand you have a preference for majority vote, and you're familiar with it.

All I can say is that I have no reason to back a system that doesn't work. I recommend that you find the time to play with plurality votes in a forum game sometime. It works, and is not as bad as you might think.

And no matter what system of voting you're using, someone is gonna be miffed that they're eliminated from the game. The real question is - is the mechanism balanced. I say it is.

Nevertheless, happy to play majority vote in your game.

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Oh, I'm sure people will get miffed regardless. Hopefully the smut I provide will soothe their wounds.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

*looks around* Did someone say, "smut?" :)

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I will likely be tempted to write a bit of smut detailing how a character is so wonderfully fucked into her sex coma.

Mind Flayer

The Sexy Futanari Admin Goon
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

I approve of this, because when I inevitably go out I wanna see my gal get raped by tentacles until she faints and is preggers with tentacle babies... or something like that. :D