What's new

Dragon Ball? :D

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Dragon Ball? :D

We're talking about survival horror games and no one has mentioned Silent Hill?
But I totally agree about Amnesia. Holy Fuck that game could be scary.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Eternal Darkness, though I am still annoyed with the no medium range of difficulty in enemies.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I didn't mention Silent Hill because it's future is a bit shaky at the moment. Hopefully the Czech made title that's to come out with root it back in Psychological horror.

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I only refer to the first few as Silent Hill games. The rest are "those abominations";)

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

i havent played any silent hill games since 4. I really enjoyed how creepy 4 was.

OP
Roksys

Roksys

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

/unlurk
I've been gone for so long and this discussion has only come this far? XD
Oh well. At least it's not dead. :D

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Never hide again. Or at least leave me a note and a bread crumb trail.

TheHamburglar

Demon Girl
Reputation score

The title of this thread is officially misleading.

On a side note: Anyone remember the days when Resident Evil counted as a horror game? I played that with my pops when I was a child and boy did it make me flip my shit. Not any more, but still.

And F.E.A.R. can actually be scary. Makes me nervous to play which is hell on my Acc. stat.

EDIT: Page 6 is hereby claimed by me.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Fear was alright. But it did the same thing Bioshock did for me. I was too wrapped up in the action to be scared.

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I still say the scariest scene in a video game (besides the entirety of any Hannah Montana game) is the scene from Resident Evil 1 in the greenhouse when the dogs crash through the window. Yes, I know it is stupid and horrible graphics now, but DAMN did that scene scare me everytime I played the game when I had my PS1

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

I still say the scariest scene in a video game (besides the entirety of any Hannah Montana game) is the scene from Resident Evil 1 in the greenhouse when the dogs crash through the window. Yes, I know it is stupid and horrible graphics now, but DAMN did that scene scare me everytime I played the game when I had my PS1
Dont feel bad. I was scared by the first silent hill with that thing/bird breaking through the window in the building.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i'm a big fan of survival horror and original silent hill is one of the few games that still gets to me.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

When the original Half life was first released it completely broke the normally iron clad "turn system" me (10) and my two brothers (8+7) had for usage of the PC. Suddenly no one wanted their turn to play any more, instead opting to hide behind the chair of the current player and try to edge him on to go a bit further. Friggin game had us tweaked the whole way. Kept running out of bullets.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I grabbed Half-Life source, and sis had to ask me why I was jumping so much ^^; I's not as big a fan for the horror genre but there's always a few that I consider/enjoy.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Half-llife was honestly the perfect blend of an action shooter, resident evils ammo supply, and silent hills creepy factor, because there were allot of fucking part's where you were scared something went wrong, like going down the elevators. You knew that bitch was going to break or drop.

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The more enemies thing would really only encourage a bigger action game. You want survival horror back, don't upscale the enemies then hand them two bullets for their pistol. That's not fun...
Its actually intended to increase the "Fight or Flight" feeling that most never get in action games...

There is plenty you can do to increase the survival aspect, and more to increase the horror aspect. Look at Dark Descent, you could do portions where you can hear things moving around, but don't know what or where they are. Lurk in the shadows and try not to be found by whatever wants to kill you.

Now on the flip-side, yes upscaling enemy numbers and decreasing ammo could work. But what about this idea... your some kind of soldier or government agent or something right? Chris, Leon, Claire, Jill... they've fought these monsters how many times? By now they should be entering the situation bristling with weapons, not entering a potential hotbed with a knife and a crappy handgun with a single magazine. So how bout you get lots of shit at the start of the game... but resupplies are rather rare. And they would be, between in real life not being able to find ammunition sitting on a toilet, and looters. So you get lots of toys from the start... but got to ration them through the majority of the game.

Yes this may work, granted that the protaganist is a BSAA or STARS member, But in the current rumor mill the game will be an almost sister game to the Outbreak series.. New characters, back in Raccoon City and in between the 1.5 month period between the Mansion incedent and Umbrella Labs Detonation (Between 1 and 2)

I only refer to the first few as Silent Hill games. The rest are "those abominations";)

But.. According to the happenings within the Silent Hill area... Any sort of abomination is good...

Except shattered memories... That one was ungodly awful... And frankly a waste of $20...

And finally:

And F.E.A.R. can actually be scary. Makes me nervous to play which is hell on my Acc. stat.

Why does everyone consider F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 2 so scary? I already played them they weren't so great, spooky lighting, some paranormal ghost crap they ripped from fatal frame and the rest is Time Shift!

Paired with nearly Helgiest health of the enemies, You can go full auto and unload a full clip into there heads in slo-mo and... Nothing... They stagger grab there heads and shoot back same as in Killzone least in Time Shift they die if you shoot them in there domepiece... Regardless of slo-mo or not...

If you want a GOOD creepy game then pick up Dead Space...

Why? Because for one they based the games environment on peoples phobias, the people are actually less sane then your current mission in DooM, And one major thing that hooked me was...

As a people were, hardwired to shoot for central mass, to ensure the hit lands correctly mostly and Gamers even more so to the almighty "Boom! HeadShot!" But in this game, Headshots do NOTHING! And shooting the body actually does less than beating it over the head with your gun...

This game forces you to override that hardwireing years of shooters has instilled by making you aim for limbs... And dismembering them...

Yet it's STILL got alittle something of surprise when you leave an enemy with only one limb and begin laughing at its corpse and it friggen attacks you one last time...

Hint: In Dead Space 2 make sure to stomp the bodies to mush, you get ammo or money drops for it!

Cappy

Reputation score

If you want a GOOD creepy game then pick up Dead Space...
Seriously? No. That's not survival horror, that's action, with even less scare material than F.E.A.R, and to make it worse it's all just quick scares, no atmosphere.

It's more action than horror, period.