What's new

[Ebisen Works] Trouble Travel Spirit Road (RJ289953) Machine Translation

ColtM1911

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Hello!

I want to present to you the result of my effort in translating Ebisen's latest game to English.
  • Game's ULMF thread

Disclaimer / About quality:
This translation wasn't tested, so its possible that it can crash your game when certain string is shown. Please let me know if you find a problem with this patch. So save often, and if you hit a bug you can always switch back to japanese version of the game to sidestep that brick wall. Please also post faulty saves in this thread.
I know that some string are still not translated, but they should be few and far between.
Images are not translated, sadly.

Installation instructions:
Pre-packaged patch attached to this message should only be installed on version 1.01 of the game. It most probably won't work with any other version.

1. Open the game's directory
2. Remove, move or rename files lang.dxa and setting.dxa so the game won't find them anymore (i.e. rename lang.dxa to lang.dxa.BACKUP and setting.dxa to setting.dxa.BACKUP
3. Extract attached archive to the game's directory, so it will now contain subdirectories setting and lang
4. Run the game and check that most of the text is now in English (well, kinda - its an MTL after all)

PS
This is my first time posting a new thread on this forum.
I finished most of this project more than a month ago, but only now did I find the time and mood to bring it to a more or less finished state and to share it with you. That is because I had to code a custom tool to automatically extract and translate the text of this game.

Some time later I intent to write a detailed instruction on reproducing this result (i.e. making your own MTL of this game) and on making a true full translation by using this patch as a starting point.

Good luck!

Attachments

Last edited:

derakino999

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Awesome. You must know your shit, to code yourself a tool for you on your own.
Wish i could do that, even though i should be able to do that supposedly by now.

Just checking it. Btw, can we edit the lines to make it more human, or is the patch as-is and it's not possible to edit the text?

EDIT: As i suspected, i just have to edit the .txt files, right?
DUDE, YOU are a MACHINE

Does your tool work with other games!?!?

Edit 2: Do you have the files with the japanese text by any chance ? lol

Last edited:
OP
ColtM1911

ColtM1911

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Awesome. You must know your shit, to code yourself a tool for you on your own.
Wish i could do that, even though i should be able to do that supposedly by now.
It's a simple program that works in two modes:
  • "Extract": collect japanese text strings from all of *.txt and *.dat files in a given directory and all of its subdirectories, and write them in a .csv file
  • "Translate": given a translated .csv, again find all of japanese text strings in the game's files, and veeeeeery carefully replace them with translated strings, so nothing breaks (at this time this almost works, apart from few corner cases, which I corrected by hand)
To translate a .csv I first converted it into .ods (Open Document Spreadsheet) using LibreOffice, then translated resulting document using Google Translate, and finally merged translated and original documents and converted them into a single translated .csv file.

I hope to write about it in more detail later.

Just checking it. Btw, can we edit the lines to make it more human, or is the patch as-is and it's not possible to edit the text?
Yes, of course. As long as you don't disturb control sequences (like
Code:
@;
), or, in general, only change text that you are sure is visible in-game and is not used for some internal bookkeeping purposes, everything should work fine.

DUDE, YOU are a MACHINE
Thanks, but I'm only human 😄
This translation was only possible because I relied heavily on the work of others:
  • Ebisen chose to store the game's assets in not too obscure format (DX Archive, .dxa)
  • there already exist an excellent tool to extract .dxa files (Touhou SE)
  • the game's engine can work with unpacked assets
  • Ebisen put all of translatable text in easily editable text files
  • Google Translate has a feature that allows translating entire documents, including spreadsheets
Does your tool work with other games!?!?
It should work with other games made by Ebisen.
In principle, it could be extended to work with any set of text files, but something tells me there are already better tools out there for more general purposes.

Edit 2: Do you have the files with the japanese text by any chance ? lol
Of course. To get original text files just unpack lang.dxa and setting.dxa using touhouSE.exe.
I attached zipped extracted directories to this post.

Attachments

derakino999

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
This is gold.
All this information i mean.
Gonna save it in a notepad.
Whew...pure golden.

Btw, i mean... would it work in games that are just a standalone exe?
Let's say, for example A multimedia fusion application runtime game named Luminous Heart. (It's just an example)
Just wondering.
C'mok c'mon dude just share your program already! :devilish::LOL:

sabbbo

Reputation score
came here from the travel trouble thread

awesome work dude, appreciate the effort

OP
ColtM1911

ColtM1911

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
This is gold.
All this information i mean.
Gonna save it in a notepad.
Whew...pure golden.
Thanks! I thought sharing information, including techy kind, is the ultimate purpose of this site.

Btw, i mean... would it work in games that are just a standalone exe?
The program doesn't have to do anything with "games", it works on a set of text files encoded in containing what I, in my ignorance, call " ". It also assumes that text inside these files is layed out in a particular format (for example, every line in all of these text files is processed independently from other lines).

Let's say, for example A multimedia fusion application runtime game named Luminous Heart. (It's just an example)
Just wondering.
I don't know anything about that game or engine, and don't have too much time on my hands to check, sorry.
What I can tell you though, to translate that you will need to find a way to somehow first extract raw text (in japanese or, generally, any other source language), and then another way to put translated text back. Probability that the tool I used would help here is very low.

C'mok c'mon dude just share your program already! :devilish::LOL:
Of course, I plan to release source code and compiled .jar file (its written in Kotlin/JVM). But before that happens I need to finish a few things:
  • need to add CLI so that it could be used not only by me (currently I just launch test routines with hardcoded file paths)
  • want to make it directly produce files, not .csv ( is not really a standard file format, it's more likely a general idea which can be implemented very differently and in non-compatible manner)
  • want to implement automatic merging of raw, translated and database files, to ease future translations of new versions of the game
  • want to add more checking and produce helpful messages that tell the user when something must be edited by hand to prevent crashes
  • want to make a translation of the latest version of the game (1.05 as of now)
awesome work dude, appreciate the effort
Thanks! And I appreciate your interest :)

Last edited:

derakino999

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Holy shit, you're doing god's work.
Thank you very much dude, you da man