What's new

Everyone in the world got this question wrong. Yes, everyone.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Everyone in the world got this question wrong. Yes, everyone.

There are actually four planets in the Gliese 581 system, but I'll assume you mean Gliese 581b as it is nearest Neptune's mass. Though the planet or star doesn't really matter at all to the story.

I'll say that they're all equally smart.
-The fish has, as aika said, absolutely knowledge of everything on the planet at every instant.
-The man has the knowledge of what and how he wants his environment and the ability and time to transform the environment into that state.
-The civilization had developed the basic ability to influence its environment, and is continuing to learn and grow.

However, each occupies a distinct niche on the planet, and, save for the fish observing, do not influence each other in the slightest. Therefore, each is the smartest possible in its own niche.

You could probably also argue that the fish is the smartest, as it is the only one to have knowledge of any of the others, but I won't.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

There are actually four planets in the Gliese 581 system, but I'll assume you mean Gliese 581b as it is nearest Neptune's mass. Though the planet or star doesn't really matter at all to the story.

I'll say that they're all equally smart.
-The fish has, as aika said, absolutely knowledge of everything on the planet at every instant.
-The man has the knowledge of what and how he wants his environment and the ability and time to transform the environment into that state.
-The civilization had developed the basic ability to influence its environment, and is continuing to learn and grow.

However, each occupies a distinct niche on the planet, and, save for the fish observing, do not influence each other in the slightest. Therefore, each is the smartest possible in its own niche.

You could probably also argue that the fish is the smartest, as it is the only one to have knowledge of any of the others, but I won't.
Nicely done. I applaud you good sir.

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You can write out the fish...

It was said to be the ONLY fish in the ocean... A fish thats massive enough to span an ocean at ANY size regardless of being omniscient... If it cant move it cant eat and Extremeophiles wont work due to the creatures mass!

It would die of starvation unless it evoled some way to pull nutrients from the methane itself...

FAT CHANCE

Have to be a sentient Plant to make sense Biologically...

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Bei Shun I don't think we're supposed to pick apart the scientific improbabilities of the scenario. We are just excpected to observe and judge intelligence.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I'm just wondering why bei has a problem with the fish, but not the immortal.

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Cuz I myself AM EEEMORTOL!!!

Muahaha!

But I DID come up with a unlikely theory as to how liquid Methane can exist near a red dwarf star...

Its all in the magnatude of atmosphere, more atmosphere less heat...

Unlikey only because of the increase in gravity from such a massive atmosphere would crush even mountains flat...

And seeing as how were talking about a neptune sized planet...

I think that its highly improbable thats the case...

OK... Thats pretty much all a space head can probe on this one...

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Um, yeah. Sorry, but I really don't understand what you mean. In general, the thicker the atmosphere, the higher the temperature of the planet, due to the fact that more heat will be trapped by a thick atmosphere than by a thin one. I'm also not sure that gravity works that way... Pressure you meant?

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I'm thinking, bei loses at science and spelling. (Although the spelling is excusable if he's updating from a psp again.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Um, yeah. Sorry, but I really don't understand what you mean. In general, the thicker the atmosphere, the higher the temperature of the planet, due to the fact that more heat will be trapped by a thick atmosphere than by a thin one. I'm also not sure that gravity works that way... Pressure you meant?
Pressure is right, gravity is not. Gravity is determined by the mass of an object IIRC. In this case a planet.

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, the spelling I cant do much about...

But Methane is a highly dense gas in itself, and one of the main causes for Global warming here on Earth...

A whole ocean of the stuff that close to a red dwarf, would evaporate... Unless... The Atmosphere were thick enough for the heat to NOT pass...

Global warming... Hot summers... COLD winters remember?

I'm not some Idiot who babels on about shit I know nothing about... I couldn't explain it thoroughly on the PSP and I don't have the Time to do it now but eventually (I'm on a friends PC) I'll Clarify Everything and Make it clear that this planet would have to have an atmosphere SIMILAR to Venus...

But Complete... Where Venus's Is incomplete...

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

This is why I never try to say anything 'important' on the PSP. I save the posts where I actually have to explain - or write a lot in general - for when I can use a computer. The PSP is a PAIN IN THE ASS to use for much more than... a couple of ten-word sentences, for example; if you don't feel that you can get your point across by then, don't worry about posting until later.

Although, I do understand the whole 'might forget what you were gonna say if you wait' thing, but that's what pen(cil) and paper are for :p

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

We're not going to get an answer for this.

Gatorbait

*hic*
Reputation score

Doubtful, though I would like to know....

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Same, and though there is some quite thoughtful debate into it, it seems pointless. Is this why everyone gets it wrong? Cause there is no fucking answer, and its just a successful trolling?

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I vote we lock Obe in a cell until he gives "the correct answer".

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, if it makes anyone feel better, I think he got it off the Nintendo NSider forums...