What's new

ACT Loli Shota [excessm] 夢から醒めた亡者 / The dead who woke up from a dream - (RJ264906 / ...)

IAmAKi

Reputation score
As if I didn't hate paywall demos enough... now devs are making people withhold information on their games?

I get it's business... and a small amount of asking money. But in my personal opinion this is still a pretty slimy move.
You're expected to blindly pay for something without any idea how much content you're getting. That doesn't seem okay to me.

I'll be giving this a miss until we get some info regarding how much the demo contains.

BigJohnny

Tentacle God
Reputation score
As if I didn't hate paywall demos enough... now devs are making people withhold information on their games?

I get it's business... and a small amount of asking money. But in my personal opinion this is still a pretty slimy move.
You're expected to blindly pay for something without any idea how much content you're getting. That doesn't seem okay to me.

I'll be giving this a miss until we get some info regarding how much the demo contains.
Yeah, I can understand keeping alpha/betas behind a paywall but keeping info about a game you're making only for the select clientele seems counter-productive.

Reputation score
This is a likely just a prototype for the actual trial for people on his plan-- a demo of the demo if you will. Once the game is on DLsite, there will most likely be a public demo found in the usual spot.

I don't think his withholding of information is counter-productive at all, considering he used to literally just vanish off the face of the internet between projects outside of the occasional artwork posted to his pixiv. By having a paid dev log, he can scrounge up some extra cash in addition to his day-job, and reward those who support him with information.

I know this may draw the ire of some since I already posted some things from previous posts, but I intend to respect his wishes. The game should be coming out within the next two months anyway.

gemstoner75

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Definite Release is btw October 2019.

It's a patreon-type account. You pay money because you want to support the author.
He in return shows the supporter what his money goes towards before the public as an exclusive thanks for supporting him. It's really not that complicated.
During the development of Smashboy when he had no ci-en account yet, there was absolutely no information about the game before it received its page on DLSite. So with his ci-en account and the status updates you got far more information than you got about Smashboy last year.

And before you say well maybe you would've gotten the public demo if it wasn't for his backers:
The trial you receive as a backer is not very fit for public release. It has a lot of little bugs, glitches and unfinished touches that would make a bad impression.

gtsisthebest

Reputation score
I'd love to know more about the game but I already decided I'd be buying it when I knew it was being made so I don't mind if the creator wants to keep that information to his backers, they should get something out of it after all.

Last edited:

IAmAKi

Reputation score
It's a patreon-type account. You pay money because you want to support the author.
He in return shows the supporter what his money goes towards before the public as an exclusive thanks for supporting him. It's really not that complicated.
During the development of Smashboy when he had no ci-en account yet, there was absolutely no information about the game before it received its page on DLSite. So with his ci-en account and the status updates you got far more information than you got about Smashboy last year.

And before you say well maybe you would've gotten the public demo if it wasn't for his backers:
The trial you receive as a backer is not very fit for public release. It has a lot of little bugs, glitches and unfinished touches that would make a bad impression.
If a dev doesn't give me the time of day before expecting me to open my wallet, I'm not going to consider doing so.
I'd be happy to support excessm because I absolutely love their games, but that every single speck of information is behind a paywall turns me off completely. And backers aren't even allowed to talk about it. Why so hush-hush?

What literally every other dev does, is that they put notes and maybe pics on the free part of their post, and then things like gameplay videos, animations, demos etc go behind the paying part.
To me, that is a perfectly acceptable system that earns my moolah, and I have supported devs that have done this. Because I like what has been shown!

If there's no information down at all I have no idea how far something is in development, and I have no idea what I'm getting for my money. So why should I be expected to? Just because I like a dev doesn't mean I should throw money at them and hope for the best, right? I mean, look how well that works with pre-ordering games...

cacapost

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
They haven't added English to the demo yet. I'd say just wait for the open release of a demo as it might be added by then.
The options menu has a language option that is grayed out with a "coming in a later release" note in English.

dakilladj

Reputation score
I'd be willing to pay if i knew what i was buying. Despite the demo costing very little, the sentiment stands. As it does for any form of entertainment.

Reputation score
Again, once the game is completed, he'll probably add a demo to the DLsite page.
It's just a matter of either forking over cash now, or waiting for the actual one.

Smashboy and Paradebuster both had their free demos released at the same time as the full game; and the latter had English implemented in its demo. As stated by Cacapost, we don't even have the option to play the current state in English; so this current one is an incomplete demo imo.

Your "I wanna know what I'm paying for" sentiment is just a veneer for "I'm just impatient." There's no shame in that; but it's silly to try and argue that the demo should be free when there will more than likely be a free, more complete demo, at launch.

Rinbokusan

Mysterious Heroic Fox!
Reputation score
Does anyone know where I can buy the demo with Dollars? I think ci-en accepts only Yen.

Reputation score
Does anyone know where I can buy the demo with Dollars? I think ci-en accepts only Yen.
You can just use a US card. There's a very small conversion fee, only a couple cents.
Alternatively, you can buy some DLsite points and use those. $10 worth of 'em (1000pts) will get you 5 months on Excess-M's page.

gemstoner75

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Smashboy and Paradebuster both had their free demos released at the same time as the full game;
I think you misremember.
Smashboy and Paradebuster both had playable demos before release.

I'd be happy to support excessm because I absolutely love their games, but that every single speck of information is behind a paywall turns me off completely. And backers aren't even allowed to talk about it. Why so hush-hush?
I guess he feels it would be injust to the paying backers if you'd simply share all the information others pay money for.
Though yes, I do agree that it sucks how little free information excessm provides on his latest games. His Twitter at this point is complete graveyard, while before he always posted a bit of little previews or other non-game project related art on it.

sigmazx

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
This is probably the best game excessm ever made. it's so polished goddamn.

Really love that you can get dominated and switch who will fuck you up when grabbed. Only issue so far is that the CG gets clipped/on top of each other
sometimes.

After defeating the boss and opening some levers, I can't seem to save? I'm assuming this is where the demo ends? Anyone here playing the demo as well?

And I'm not gonna share it because I'm afraid the dev will get mad or something. Please forgive me.

Shota-kun

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Just funish demo and found 5 enemy include : catgirl, spear girl, succubus, giant girl and 1 boss, Each enemy have gameover scene

sigmazx

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Just funish demo and found 5 enemy include : catgirl, spear girl, succubus, giant girl and 1 boss, Each enemy have gameover scene
Yup. That's what I found.

You can fight the boss again via the menu (challenges). You can also make all normal enemies appear again via items menu (first option).

I'm assuming the demo did indeed end after you can't save, correct?

Shota-kun

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Yup. That's what I found.

You can fight the boss again via the menu (challenges). You can also make all normal enemies appear again via items menu (first option).

I'm assuming the demo did indeed end after you can't save, correct?
Yes this demo not have ending, after defeat all enemy just replay again, I also can't save after defeat the boss, demo still many bug but playable

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
If a dev doesn't give me the time of day before expecting me to open my wallet, I'm not going to consider doing so.
Like Zealous said, excessm has proven to be rather secretive, but a reliable, hard worker in these past years. He likes working on his thing, and coming out with a BANG upon his games's release.
I strongly dislike paywalled demos whose purpose is to stall supporters (and milk them for a few more mounths... or years ftm), but excessm has never been like that so far. There's no reason he would change out of the blue. Plus, we have a promised release for this end of the year.
I think he's earned that privilege, and doesn't need the extra advertisement. I'm cool with that.

We're well teased - that's a job well done. Maybe a kind soul will make him/herself known to be reachable by PM. Until then, it's just 3-4 mounths anyway.

bobhoskins

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Are the game over scenes different enough between them? Like, variety in the scenarios/what happens?

Last edited:

Dan Druff

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
The most important thing about this alpha is that he is allowing feedback which he didn't allow on his previous progress reports because this thing is still an early build that is not ready to be released to the public. The game plays just like Smash Boy mixed with Odin Sphere exploration. You can go to a safe area with NPCs, but the next area might contain enemies which do not respawn if you return to that area. You can interact with items only if enemies are not close enough to attack. Either defeat them or lure them away from the thing with which you want to interact. Every enemy and boss has Game Over scene, but they tend to be excuses to perform all their erotic attacks one after another. If it means anything, the music is better.

Last edited: