What's new

[WIP - Full] From Frontier (だぶるす*こあ) [RJ258588]

Luek

Reputation score

Alright, so here goes my first attempt at translating an MV game, was hoping to finish the database by now but the descriptions can be quite lengthy and most of the time I was experimenting with the \} and \{ commands to try and make the text fit because those poor small tiny petite boxes can't seem to fit these big fat girthy English fonts ;)

That being said, it's still a very early and rough WIP and only a partial database at that. I haven't playtested it and most of the armour descriptions are left untouched, only their names and the stats they give.
Not to mention any spelling errors and inaccuracies you might find since I noticed I tend to spell possess as posses and separate as seperate. A teacher once said I have Dyslexia since Japanese is phonetic and all, but I haven't gotten diagnosed nor bothered to, and honestly, I think I was just dumb. If you ask me, I'd say just wait for a full patch once I've ironed out most of the stuff since this patch is pretty insignificant, but since ULMF requires WIP posts to have a download link, I guess sharing an initial patch isn't so bad.

Now you might be also asking, "why not just make a post once you've completed it since you're that apprehensive about sharing it then?" Well yeah, I would since I don't intend to release progress update patches, but the main reason for most of my posts here are to just inform people that I'm working on something so that they don't waste their efforts which could be better spent on other games, and if there are people that already started working on it, to see if we can sort things out :D

That's all for now, if you find any problems or have any suggestions let me know, have a great day and I'll see you next time :D

Links:
DLsite |
Discussion Thread: Can't find any :\

Instructions:
Just drop it in the www folder and it should be fine.

Time for a progress update!

So I just got done with the intro along with most of the NPCs loitering around the main town, was hoping to be done with more but the writing in this game can be a bit, unconventional? Admittedly I don't read a lot of Japanese media, but for example having ずっと 憧れる(Zutto akogareru) instead of ずっと 欲し い (Zutto hoshi) when longing for something throws me off sometimes and there are quite a few like these. Don't get me wrong, they have their differences, just, I usually associate 憧れる with admiring a person rather than yearning for something.

Maybe their writing is just more profound than what I'm used to, or maybe I'm just being a big ol' dumb doo doo brain. You know how sometimes you stare at something for too long then it starts to feel off even though it isn't? Yeah, maybe I'm doing just that. Anyway, it's interesting though time consuming at times.

Also, most of the images are already translated courtesy of Ditto :D He hasn't shared them publicly yet, or so I think, but I'll leave it up to him whether he wants to or not since I'll probably only get them out once I release a patch eventually.

That's all for now, have a nice day and I'll see you next time :D

Edit:*psst* secret intro patch . Mostly unedited and fresh out of the oven, get it while it's hot, though I can't vouch for how it'll taste.

As usual another progress report!

Just got done with most of the stuff in the 1st area, Alta Plains. Mostly just the the quests and important events that take place. Still in the early stages but I'm hoping to pick up the pace since there are like 12 places in total. Also not sure where the quest book is stored since it uses a plugin. Though, it's probably in the common events somewhere and I'll run into it eventually.
Other than that, I went ahead and did 2 H-events, just the initial ones with Persia and Mana, so I guess that's 2/41 HCG's done! :D Along with some of the interactions with Rusty to get a feel of how the game works, switches and such.

Anyway, with COVID-19 and being in quarantine and all, I'll probably get to crunch more out in the coming weeks or so, so I guess that's a silver lining in all of this.

That's all for now, stay safe, stay well, and I hope you're doing well!

Attachments

Last edited:

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
...lengthy...command...fit[...]those poor small tiny petite boxes...big fat girthy...and rough..."playtest"..."untouched"...

...Approved. xD

OP
Luek

Luek

Reputation score
Hey, so umm, got a sorta important announcement to make. That is, I'll be putting this project on ice for now. I know I'm not really that big of a translator here but I figured I'd give my reasons and share my experiences instead of just vanishing. So if you're interested, it's quite a long read.

So when I started doing this a year ago, it was just meant to be something productive I could do in my free time. I know some people do it for the fame and attention, some to learn Japanese, some just out of pure passion. And yeah, I won't say it didn't deepen my understanding of the language, and the first time my translation got thanked I felt a little prideful I'm not gonna lie. But those weren't the driving factors for me. I just enjoyed writing in general, even if my grammar wasn't the greatest, I liked portraying the English version of a scenario to the best of my abilities, you know, thinking of the right words and building sentences out of it, sort of like doing crossword puzzles. I'd sometimes sit there staring at my screen for a couple of minutes just thinking of interesting words I could possibly come up with. For example, say a girl goes to the store and orders something and she says "一つちょうだい!"(Hitotsu choudai!). Yes, I know, that meme. If you know which one I'm talking about, please bear with me (it's the only example I could think of at the top of my head). Now, this can be easily translated to something like "One please!" but then again, I could also go with "I'd like one!" or "I'd like one please!" or just simply "Give me one!" and I'm sure there are many other ways to translate it but they pretty much mean the same though their tones differ, and I found this interesting and a fun way to spend my time. It was as much for me as it was for you guys.
Anyway, I started a Patreon page a few months after to be sort of be a page of my own since I have no idea how a blog works. It was meant to be sorta like a tipping thing if people wanted to donate, like I expected 1-2 months patrons just tipping me for the work I've done and moving on. Main reason I didn't bother with tiers and stuff, or paywall (patron only post) anything. Still, people actually stayed and supported me for the following months to come, that really kept me going and I'm grateful to all of you who have supported me. Not going to lie though, it did sting a little when people left, but I was happy nonetheless.
I did thought of turning this into a career at one point (near the end of Gran Ende 2 in November last year), main reason being because you know that break I took in December last year with the reason being I had important exams ending in January this year? If you didn't then there's a post on my about it. Yeah, I was looking into getting either a job or starting internship that was planned for you guessed it, in April.
Going back to my Patreon though. I'm not really a sociable kind of person, call me socially awkward if you will. Reason why I never worked on any high profile games (rather than deal with expectations and possible disappointment, better just surprise people with an unexpected game right?). That being said, it was entirely my fault that this "career" I had thought of didn't take off, probably because I was too shy to advertise in fear of being a shill, and because of that I never did make any changes, you can say I was being too complacent in a sense. Still, I didn't mind that it didn't take off, as I had other stuff planned so this can just stay as a hobby as it always was, it's fine.
"So why are you stopping then!?" Well, it's April now and basically things haven't been good because of the you know what *cough* Corona *cough* (internship pretty much cancelled and so are my other plans). So I don't know where my future is heading, but I just can't find the effort to do anything right now and honestly, I'm just depressed.

I'll be going away for now but maybe I'll come back one day when things get better. Thanks for reading, really sorry to those of you who were expecting me to finish this. If it's any better, I saw an MTL floating around before I started, though, I'm not sure what version it is (mine's v1.11), and thanks to all of you who have supported me.

The patch should take you all the way up to part way through the Hills' Base, which is the 2nd base depending on if you go through the cave or the forest, I haven't touched the forest. Only 3 h-scenes were done that is, the 1st ones with Persia, Mana, and Mitoli. Just merge it with the www folder and it should work.

P.S: My MEGA account got hacked so I'm not sure if any of my MEGA links work anymore.

Attachments

masterdragonson

Reputation score
So long and thanks for all the fish. Take care of yourself and good luck to you in the future.

Kirashi

Reputation score
Hi, just wanted to say that with the actual patch, well... only the menu is translated, I got no dialog translated is that normal?

Kirashi

Reputation score
yeah, the files in the first thread translate the menu, but the only difference when I use those files is that the menu turn back in japanese, and nothing else change

masterdragonson

Reputation score
yeah, the files in the first thread translate the menu, but the only difference when I use those files is that the menu turn back in japanese, and nothing else change
Well it looks like when @Luek left he accidentally uploaded the untranslated folder instead of the translated one... Here is the last copy I had that was partially translated up until the first night at the INN.

Attachments