What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Twisted

Mega Ultimate Jungle Girl 2000 Redux Z
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Sounds a lot like Trine. Actually I recently played the first Ys, and I while I thought it was mildly entertaining, it was quite horrible toward the end (crappy maze tower, obscure backtracking just to talk to NPCs about stuff you should have already been able to talk about, and a ridiculous end boss that relies heavily on luck to beat).

I hope the rest of the series doesn't have those problems. I wouldn't mind playing them all if they don't.
By playing the first Ys, I'm assuming you're talking about Ys I & II Chronicles

If so, you're basically playing a game from 1987 with little or no updates outside of smoother controls and upgraded sprite graphics/soundtracks (including the soundtrack from 1987 you can choose from).
You should expect as such - Ys 7, Celceta and the upcoming Ys8 are from 2010+ and therefor play completely different from the first few games in the series.

(Also Ys1 mainly serves as a prologue to Ys2, which takes place on the floating continent and has no such long-winded tower climbing like in the first. Some dungeon layouts in Ys2 are still very mazelike though)

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I might try Ys 2 sometime then, and then try to get the others in the series. I did enjoy the gameplay aside from the issues I mentioned. I do wish it had been less linear.

Steam has Wasteland 2 free this weekend. I'm a bit disappointed in some things about it. I might still grab it for $8 if it ever hits that price. That base $40 retail needs to come down for that to ever happen though. Not sure why it's still so high. This is probably being very judgy but based only on the small amount I played, I actually enjoyed Fallout Tactics more.

Twisted

Reputation score

I might try Ys 2 sometime then, and then try to get the others in the series. I did enjoy the gameplay aside from the issues I mentioned. I do wish it had been less linear.
Yeah, only Ys 1 & 2 at this point use the bump system. Ys3 was originally a Zelda2-like sidescroller, and Ys4 did go back to it, but both of those have been updated and remade to be more modern(3 became Oath in Felghana and 4 became Memories of Celceta). Falcom simply keeps I&II the way they are because they're iconic to the history of RPGs. It'd be like if Square were to remake a Final Fantasy and completely change the combat system
Oh wait

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I don't much care for any MMO really. The way the games are set up just doesn't sit well with me. One of my biggest problems with them is the fact you can't play them offline (both because they don't allow you and because later monsters require a big party to kill). MMO's basically turn you into a nobody or a soldier rather than making you feel like a hero, which is usually the best aspect of any videogame, but not in an MMO. They're more about socializing, and I'm not really into that. :p
Maybe give Guild Wars 2 a shot. Not only is it "buy-to-play," meaning no monthly fees, but all story elements are instanced, meaning only you and your NPC buddies bring down the story bosses and save the world. Granted, outside of that, the world bosses do require pretty much an entire map full of people, but many of the fights are very intricate, with many different roles the player can take. Also, there is no PVP in the main game - it's handled in a separate arena.

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Actually I did enjoy Guild Wars 1 quite a bit, years ago, back when it was first released. It's one of the MMO's that taught me what MMO's are all about (allow you to succeed early on, and then smash you over the head with monsters that are too difficult to take on solo).

It is a very pretty game though. I really enjoyed the setting. I just wish it could be played solo, and that includes not needing NPCs to help you.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I don't much care for any MMO really. The way the games are set up just doesn't sit well with me. One of my biggest problems with them is the fact you can't play them offline (both because they don't allow you and because later monsters require a big party to kill). MMO's basically turn you into a nobody or a soldier rather than making you feel like a hero, which is usually the best aspect of any videogame, but not in an MMO. They're more about socializing, and I'm not really into that. :p
MMORPGs started out mostly as derived from the party-based mentality that you find in Dungeons & Dragons and such. So no, you're not the hero, but you're part of the group of heroes (ie. your friends).

Lately, however, games like WoW have ramped up the ability to play solo or just with random people, like with LFG and LFR as well as the now-infamous Garrisons with its facebook-esque quest system. This also means that they have had to lower the difficulty significantly, however.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Bethesda's released it's E3 footage and gotta say, bit impressed with it.

More Fallout 4 DLC stuff, of course, but also they're making a version of Fallout Shelter for PC (and updating it again). And then there's the little tidbit at the end that I'm not gonna spoil but I'm tentatively watching :3

Twisted

Reputation score

Berserk's getting a crowdfighting/musou/heroes game

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

More Fallout 4 DLC stuff, of course, but also they're making a version of Fallout Shelter for PC (and updating it again). And then there's the little tidbit at the end that I'm not gonna spoil but I'm tentatively watching :3
The Vault thing looks like fun. I've been playing Far Harbor, which has been OK but the new stuff feels a bit lacking so far (for the most part, the mod feels like more of the same stuff). Guess I'm going to have to get a mod that allows you to mod any underclothing. Would also love to be able to break down legendary items and then put their modifiers on other weapons/armor.

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I enjoyed it a bit myself but jesus christ that lady in the audience

WOOOOOOOOO!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

:(

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Another review

Space Food Truck
It's alright, but expensive for what it is
Space Food Truck is a game about traveling the universe cooking food and staying alive. This is as is usual with games something that involves a lot of risks and dangers. That said, it is doable on a first try if you're somewhat experienced with risk-management games.

You play as a crew of four, each with their own job on the ship. The engineer to repair and upgrade the ship, the chef to cook the ingredients, the scientist to research, and the captain to pilot the ship. You can be one of these in multiplayer, or all four in singleplayer. Either way, you're going to have to work together to get through things safely. With that said, it's not actually that hard, at least on normal difficulty. It's very forgiving and you can handle most things just fine unless you've messed up your card deck building.

Speaking of which, you handle your options through a card based system, with cards being your available actions and the fuel to use on these actions. In some cases litterally, with the captain's card to move the ship taking cards with power points to fill up the FTL engine. At the end of your turn, you have to buy a new card to add to your deck. As such, it is important to find ways to trim your deck, or you will be left with useless or lesser quality cards. Several ways to do this exist, and as such you can usually keep your deck under control.

Then there is the actual cooking. Gather ingredients, have the chef cook them up and then deliver the dish to its destination. It seems easy, but it can get a bit more complex. Some ingredients are much more rare, some need to be unlocked by the scientist. And then you have to actually get them cooking too, which again costs you time to find the right cards.

After some time though, it begins to feel like everything is the same. Very few things will ever change and in one or two playthroughs you will have likely seen everything it has to offer. You can stabilise safely and last almost endlessly as long as you have the right cards and did your deck work right. Science becomes mostly useless after they finish researching, and engineering turns into 'play all your cards to fix everything, end turn'. Especially if you play multiplayer, it may begin to feel like your turn is automated where the rest of the crew actually does things.

With a fitting graphical style, simple but functional animations, and what I would definitely say is above average humour with simple but not unthinking or boring gameplay, Space Food Truck rounds out to be a decent game with some replayability troubles. While I would certainly recommend it if it were half price, 20 euro is pretty steep for what you get out of it.

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Renowned Explorers International Society

Good game for a roguelike. Gives you the option of playing 'true' roguelike, with no manual save and autosaves only when you return to base and 'soft' roguelike with the option to save scum.

Basis is you take three characters to achieve fame by taking other people's stuff, Indiana Jones-style. There are a total of 12 characters, each with certain abilities. Each also has certain specialties which can help you succeed in different checks.

One of the more interesting mechanics is the 'mood' combat system. There are three styles: Devious, Aggressive, and Friendly with a RPS system. Devious is smarter than Aggressive, Aggressive smashes Friendly, Friendly is being the better man to Devious. Playing the system right provides huge bonuses, though it may be difficult.

All in all, quite a good game to kill time with. Plenty of things to find and plenty of achievements to get, with half of them duplicates. 1 of them are for the 'soft' roguelike, the other half only available by playing the 'true' roguelike mode.

Reactions: XSI
OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Time for some EA impressions, I guess. What I could gather from Jim Sterling's conference recaps, the thing that resonated most with me is the new God Of War game, which looks very "Last Of Us"-ish while retaining the utter brutality of its predecessors. Very snowy, mountain areas and deer hunting makes me hopeful about Old Kratos possibly getting his murder on against some Nordic or Germanic Gods?

Horizon: Zero Dawn looks interesting. I haven't heard of the game before, but it certainly seems like something I'd want to check out.

Resident Evil VII looks... NOTHING like a Resident Evil game, at least judging by the trailer and teaser demo. First person? No gunplay? It looks like Outlast. I didn't like THAT, and I probably won't like this one if it does go down that alley. Don't get me wrong - if that's what you want, more power to you, but I wouldn't have recognized this as a Resident Evil game if they hadn't told me it was one.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Some decent stuff out of E3.

New Legend of Zelda looks awesome, unfortunately there's no fuckin way I'm buying another nintendo console (between the amiibo bullshit, and the fact that they really don't have many of the titles that I like to play I just can't spend the money on it).

Neir is getting a sequel, gameplay looks a lot more fast-paced and fun, since it's Neir the story's going to be incomprehensible but whatever.

Horizon looked pretty fun gameplay wise, but whatever's going on with the setting has left a bad taste in my mouth. What do these people eat? Certainly not the robo-animals, are they vegetarians? If they are fuck that shit. And how can they make hacking spears, but are stuck making wood huts? For that matter, why don't they have guns? Like I said: a bad taste, but we'll have to see once it comes out.

God of war looks interesting as well, I haven't played any of the titles since the rather... tasteless sex scene in the second? one (seriously, I wasn't offended by the sex but the 'bro' mentality involved, and that I had to push a button to hump...). However, kratos fighting the Norse gods? This I've gotta play.

Outside of E3, I recently started playing salt and sanctuary, was pleasantly surprised at how well a dark souls adaptation of SOTN works. Can't stand the artwork but oh well. Only disappointment out side of that is NPC quests and that they're shit dark souls style also known as : "HUUUUUUUR, let's make these a nightmare to do unless the player's looking at a guide".

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I hate how Nintendo makes only one Zelda, Metroid, etc.. per console (if that many). It's super annoying.

And still no Donkey Kong 64 sequel.

But hey, at least these new systems give you plenty of exercise. Right? :D
(barf)

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I hate how Nintendo makes only one Zelda, Metroid, etc.. per console (if that many). It's super annoying.

And still no Donkey Kong 64 sequel.

But hey, at least these new systems give you plenty of exercise. Right? :D
(barf)
I feel you on Metroid. Also, they're never going to make a sequel to DK64, for as long as microsoft owns Rare.

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well I thought the old AD&D games would never make it to GOG because of licensing issues but they're there now. I should maybe buy them sometime before they vanish in a puff of smoke...

Not the same thing as a sequel possibly happening for DK64 though. The equivalent would be SSI coming back and making a new AD&D game. Probably not going to happen. :p

I actually didn't mind the Metroid Prime games that much, but they just aren't the same. At least they were decent enough to make 3 of them, although the 3rd was for the Wii with all new controls and bla bla bla. I still haven't played it, but do have it (somewhere).

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I actually didn't mind the Metroid Prime games that much, but they just aren't the same. At least they were decent enough to make 3 of them, although the 3rd was for the Wii with all new controls and bla bla bla. I still haven't played it, but do have it (somewhere).
The Prime series is definitely good, and I recommend playing through Prime 3 even just once. There are some neat concepts introduced in the game despite how linear and short the game is.

On the topic of Metroid, the only real way they could make new games for the series is to continue after Fusion. And I believe I heard that the main reason they haven't continued forward with Metroid is because the creator didn't think the Fusion suit is as iconic as the original suit. This is concerning because the potential for Nintendo doing the stupidest possible thing by hitting the reboot button is very likely. I honestly thing they should remake Metroid 2 and release that for 3DS to buy some time. It would also give me a reason for me to buy a 3DS.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Metroid 2 is DEFINITELY the one to remake.

Smokefish

Needs to go commit sudoku
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You are all objectively, factually, incorrect.

Reactions: XSI