What's new

Games Discussion Thread

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Stuffie wanted to know a bit more about Nioh so here we go!

I'm gonna skip over the categories of graphics and sound, they get the job done and that's about the amount I care.

As for gameplay:

The game is set in Japan so as one might expect, even though I was a little disappointed, it is stage based instead of open world. Each stage can be re-played any number of times and range in size from a large bath-house to a feudal castle. Paths through stages do have some choices but are ultimately linear.

Stats work in much the same way as they do in DS, each stat has a primary function as well as affecting damage on a certain weapon. Your choices of melee weapons are Sword, Spear, Dual Swords, Chain & Sickle, and Axe/hammer (ugs). For ranged weapons : Bow, Rifle, and Hand cannon. Each weapon feels unique in it's uses, but some are definitely overpowered in terms of damage output.

Along with the traditional stats, there is spirit. Akin to attunement in DS this stat affects the strength of your guardian spirit and is even required to unlock passive boosts that they give. You'll collect quite a few Guardian spirits throughout your playthrough all with unique passive buffs, unique summons via another useable item, and varying buffs during the 'elemental weapon' (basically super mode, but not that super). I didn't invest that heavily in spirit and end up using very few of them, mostly the ones that up drop rates so I can't comment on how different each really feels.

A significant difference from DS is the way equipment is handled by Nioh. 2 swords with the same name will very rarely have the same passive buffs on each (things such as stamina cost reduction, adding another stat to the weapons scaling, to very finite buffs like mid-attack up 7%), and it is through gear upgrading and passive buff re-rolling that progression during NG+ relies upon. You CAN forge your own items, but need the appropriate smithing texts to do so and their drop rates are abysmal, often requiring an excess of 30 boss kills to net you with one. Personally I hate RNG so I rather loathe this system but you might not find it as tedious as I.

Leveling is handled the exact same as DS, gather 'amrita' till you reach the cost of a point. You drop your accumulated amrita when you die (which you will, ALOT) along with your GS and have to retrieve them before you die again or the amrita is lost and the GS returns with an empty elemental weapon meter.

I think that covers the main points well enough so the last aspect of gameplay I'll talk about is... COMBAT!!!

Combat in Nioh is somewhat similar to DS, very few Iframes, moves cost ki (stamina), often one is locked into an action once they press the button, when enemies hit it HURTS. The biggest deviations come in the form of 1 stance 2 ki-pulses and 3 skills. You have three stances High, Middle, and low each typically good for Damage or stamina drain, blocking or countering, quick hits or dodging respectively. I should mention that VERY seldom with blocking eat all of your ki, so no fear of blocking big hits leaving you helpless.

During actual combat there's a gimmick called ki-pulse that with a correctly timed button press allows one to gather their spent ki. This often leads to you losing a stun-lock but also keeps you from eating hits because you ran out of ki and can't block or dodge. The timing of the ki-pulse is a little weird, not short enough that you can hit the button immediately not long enough that you can back off and then hit the button.

Skills are acquired throughout the game as you use hair to net you skill points or get them passively by increasing your stats. They range from very handy passive buffs (something like 12% extra damage when attacking an opponent from behind) to completely new moves say catching an enemies attack with your spear and throwing them to the ground for a free stab.

Stay tuned as I've got a couple gameplay videos I can upload tmo or the next day.

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

Just finished Just Cause 3, and I have to say that it's not as much fun as I thought it would be. I have played Just Cause 2 and I remembered it being a lot of silly fun - running straight into an enemy base and blasting everything in my path. I tried doing that in JC3 and died very quickly. Soldiers are bullet sponge (the strongest soldiers can take half a magazine of rifle bullets in the head), choppers get shot out of the sky instantly by SAM missiles (you can hack the SAM missile launchers, but there are usually half a dozen launchers in each base), and don't even get me started on the boats, which have sniper like accuracy. I ended up having to use a more tactical approach - taking cover and sniping enemies from a distance.

I really wish there's a difficulty setting.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

JC3 felt like they spent all their time upgrading the graphics, and sucking the fun out IMHO.

Sorry guys, gonna have to wait on those videos. PS4 doesn't like my portable HD (because why wouldn't it have to be formatted by the ps4 to work?), so I'm gonna have to hook the console up to the interwebs to get anything off it. While I'm at it I might as well update my games and sync my trophies, but I want to make use of a few patched exploits before then.

Edit: Well, looks like I'm not uploading anything from the PS4, tried for 3 hours and it's just not going to happen. Oh well :(

Last edited:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Made another one of those review thingies
Pretty nice game. Simple though

Predynastic Egypt

Predynastic Egypt is a resource management and optimization game in which you overcome trials and ordeals and establish Egypt as unified kingdom.
From humble beginnings with simple decisions to make to managing a large amount of workers while planning several turns ahead, Predynastic Egypt offers a pleasant if a bit simple of an experience. There aren't a lot of different mechanics involved, but they do not need to be. With a simple foundation and easily controlled, intuitive basic gameplay you'll be able to manage your tribe and deal with what Egypt has to offer. Multiple difficulty options allow you to customize the game to your liking while everything is explained in enough detail that you will not have to worry about not knowing what is going on, though it still doesn't give you more information than you really need.

One concern is replayability. As it is the same map every time, with the same ordeals every time at the same turns it becomes predictable and later playthroughs will feel repetitive. At the highest difficulties, it's all about solving everything perfectly, with perfect timing on everything and good luck on the random events. If you enjoy achievement hunting, you will get plenty of replayability out of it, but otherwise there isn't much reason to play it a second time.

As for the trials and ordeals, they are challenging when you first go through them, but fair. With a bit of planning and forward thinking you can win the game on your first try. Playthroughs after the first will make it a lot easier and unless you actively avoid doing them it is difficult to really fail at any of them.

A relaxed atmosphere and simple base mechanic means this is mostly a casual game, pleasant to play and worth the time to get it, Predynastic Egypt does what it tells you it does, does it very well, and overall delivers a good experience at a good price.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Free game

If you get to it today or tomorrow

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Some games are nice, but completely and totally mismanaged by devs who give no shits. This is one of them

Friday 13th

I was going to write a detailed review and put effort into it, but since the devs don't seem to care I won't care either. In Friday 13th, you can have a great time or a terrible time, depending on who you play with and the amount of bugs you run into. Generally from what I've found it's people who don't speak English, with those who do speak English either teamkilling you for fun or being excellent people.

The gameplay itself is pretty nice. You don't need to run scared all the time and you can actually fight back against Jason, though it's more of a way to buy time so you can get away than anything else. If you run, there are a large amount of invisible walls around the map, making it a risk to go anywhere that Jason won't look for you. Luckily, you do have the advantage around windows and cabins, and you are faster when you sprint.

The best part about this game, in my opinion, is that you can talk to eachother and Jason while playing. Trash talk, pleading, and misdirection brings a lot to the game. Telling Jason that the others are escaping in a car will make him usually pull out his map to see if the car moved, buying you precious time. And not just once did I hear someone plead for their life and told them I'll save them for last. Out of everything, being able to meaningfully interact with people the rare few times they know English is what makes it fun.

But then the bad is plentiful as well. Only three maps, many councilors being just terrible in general, a kickstarter-only Jason that is just flat out better than any other Jason you can ever hope to get and bugs+exploits still in the game long after launch leads to a feeling that this is not very well managed or planned out, and ultimately combining these factors with the devs being ban-happy at the wrong people and ignoring the people who do need to be at least warned leads to me concluding that this deserves a negative as it stands right now. At the very least until the devs bring about a serious effort to address everything they've been ignoring now.

Friday 13th is a nice idea, that was almost there. It's massively overpriced for what it does and would have been great if it was done by someone who actually gave a shit. Wait for a substantial sale if you do want to get it, because what they're asking for now is too much.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Some games are nice, but completely and totally mismanaged by devs who give no shits. This is one of them

Friday 13th

I was going to write a detailed review and put effort into it, but since the devs don't seem to care I won't care either. In Friday 13th, you can have a great time or a terrible time, depending on who you play with and the amount of bugs you run into. Generally from what I've found it's people who don't speak English, with those who do speak English either teamkilling you for fun or being excellent people.

The gameplay itself is pretty nice. You don't need to run scared all the time and you can actually fight back against Jason, though it's more of a way to buy time so you can get away than anything else. If you run, there are a large amount of invisible walls around the map, making it a risk to go anywhere that Jason won't look for you. Luckily, you do have the advantage around windows and cabins, and you are faster when you sprint.

The best part about this game, in my opinion, is that you can talk to eachother and Jason while playing. Trash talk, pleading, and misdirection brings a lot to the game. Telling Jason that the others are escaping in a car will make him usually pull out his map to see if the car moved, buying you precious time. And not just once did I hear someone plead for their life and told them I'll save them for last. Out of everything, being able to meaningfully interact with people the rare few times they know English is what makes it fun.

But then the bad is plentiful as well. Only three maps, many councilors being just terrible in general, a kickstarter-only Jason that is just flat out better than any other Jason you can ever hope to get and bugs+exploits still in the game long after launch leads to a feeling that this is not very well managed or planned out, and ultimately combining these factors with the devs being ban-happy at the wrong people and ignoring the people who do need to be at least warned leads to me concluding that this deserves a negative as it stands right now. At the very least until the devs bring about a serious effort to address everything they've been ignoring now.

Friday 13th is a nice idea, that was almost there. It's massively overpriced for what it does and would have been great if it was done by someone who actually gave a shit. Wait for a substantial sale if you do want to get it, because what they're asking for now is too much.
Had my eye on that one, shame it doesn't work out well. Oh well :(, saved me buying it, thanks!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

It's a neat game, just massively overpriced and the devs don't give a single shit about it or about making it fun for everyone. It has its moments, but overall it's just not good value for your money, with that money then going to people who don't care

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

Free game

If you get to it today or tomorrow
Wanted to rep, but I can't, so I'll just say "thank you" here for the heads-up. :)

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

You're welcome

100th review soon(tm)
(I'm over 100 already, but I reviewed some DLC so it probably works out to about 100)

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So I've been playing Pyre and... well... sorry Supergiant but I don't really like it. The narration that Bastion and Transistor had was much better, in my opinion, than a back-and-forth between gameplay and the visual novel section. I'm okay with the story, I like the characters, but the gameplay gets very repetitive very fast. I'm sure some people will enjoy it but I just can't get into it. I give it a 5, with Bastion being an 8.5 and Transistor a 7.5.

Last edited:
OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I loved Bastion and Transistor (save the ending of the latter), but I took one look at Pyre and knew I wasn't going to like it. Too much like a visual novel, the only real gameplay some sort of sports game? No thanks.

SexCurseStudio

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm so hyped to play Sonic Mania, and it sucked it got delayed a couple weeks on PC!

I played Sonic 3 & Knuckles so much when I was younger. I remember when Blockbuster was still around I rented it for over a month then I bought it.

Total War: Warhammer 2 I pre-ordered recently as well. I can't wait to play the filthy ratmen Skaven!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

It took me 20 days to figure out what to write in this review.
I'm still not happy with it, but it will do.
Brigador

It took me a long time to think about what I'd say about Brigador, as I usually list a negative first and I'm very judgemental when it comes to games. Brigador only had very mild negatives, along with some very strong positives that makes it difficult for me to say anything bad about it.

From an excellent soundtrack to the incredible gameplay, to the lore and graphics design, everything about Brigador appears to have been well made and shows great attention to detail. A gentle learning curve and a campaign that will teach you and then present you with ever increasing challenges followed with free play contracts that will let you go at the speed and difficulty you prefer means that you will always be able to customize your experience to tailor it to what you like and what you can handle.
The maps are designed well and pretty to look at, with everything inside except for the map boundaries being fully destructible. You are even encouraged to do so, and destroying things gives you a bonus.

A large selection of vehicles, weaponry and enemies ensures that there is a lot for you to choose from, with every piece of gear you pick having its use and using your gear well is usually the key to success. But with all that gear, you can pick and choose how you want to play. Stealth, guns blazing, or a mix is all possible with none of the weapons seeming overpowered or underpowered. And everything you see ingame is a thing you can take and use.

The only negative I've found was the control scheme, which doesn't always work well with every vehicle. But it is barely a negative as you can change your control scheme as needed. Out of all the things in game, everything works together amazingly well and handles great, both in the missions and with the overarching theme.

Brigador is one of those rare games where you do not regret any moment of your time playing it. Everything can be made to be the way you enjoy it the best while at the same time offering you challenges exactly the way you want them. It seems to do everything right and has no real negatives to it that I could find. Brigador tells you to enjoy yourself, and it gives you all the tools you need to do so.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Mu'fucking SECRET OF MANA REMAKE!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

For those who havent heard yet
Half Life EP3 script leaked (Partially? Dunno. Didnt read)

It's dead, never getting made. Valve doesn't want to make it

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Mu'fucking SECRET OF MANA REMAKE!
You'd think they could've afforded some decent character designs...

Also surprised nintendo's not getting in on the action (lol, though it was gonna be tendo only b/c of those graphics till I saw the sony logos).

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

For those who havent heard yet
Half Life EP3 script leaked (Partially? Dunno. Didnt read)

It's dead, never getting made. Valve doesn't want to make it
Not surprising really, they'd never be able to live up to the hype. :/