What's new

Games Discussion Thread

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Yet I never seem to have that gun in my hands for too long to do much damage >_>

I've got mixed feelings with the Invasion mode, granted this is based off just two games and one cut out half way through for some unknown reason. I think I'll give it a couple more playthroughs but at the moment I'm leaning towards not liking it. And I've changed my mind about both the jetpack and the map Sword Base, I love them both. I've got a pretty shit aim so I'm not too good with the Needle Rifle and the rifle weapon the Spartan's have.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Maybe I just get lucky then. Fully charged it wipes out an entire team though, and it works wonders on people with jetpacks.

I like the idea of Invasion, but as it stands, the game just isn't balanced. The Spartans have every advantage, at least on the first map they released for it. That giant opening killzone is basically a massacre for anyone dumb enough to not pick assassin on the elites team, especially because the Spartans all spawn with long range rifles, and so the Elites spend at least the first 2 minutes trying to get past that. It could also do with a more round based setup, like CTF.

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

Lost Planet 2 PC coming out soon. Too bad I can't get my hands on it until after exams....

Is anyone else going to get it? Console or PC version?

And while we are at it, let's throw Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker into the discussion as well. Amazing game. Simply fabulous.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I'll probably get Lost Planet 2 for 360. I enjoyed the first one despite not actually purchasing it. Read the review for it, and it seemed rather interesting. Some crazy epic battles. Though don't expect a very good storyline, from what I hear it's fairly hard to get connected to any character as they all look the same with everyone wearing face concealing head gear.

Though, the game is about fighting monstrous insectoid aliens from what I hear, so oh well. You can also unlock a Marcus Fenix skin for multiplayer.

Never been a fan of Metal Gear Solid. Partially from not really playing them, and partially from them not intriguing me enough to actually look into it.

I'm actually currently looking forward to Alan Wake the most.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

There's a free demo for LP2 out for the 360... if you can get on exksbawcksLIVE to d/l it, leastways.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Grr, Alan Wake. Initially it was supposed to be released for the PS3. All the videos and brief gameplay tidbits I saw looked really great. It looked incredible when they showed a tornado coming through the town, and destroying almost anything it came across, watching all the miscellaneous crap it stole away with, flying through the air.

But then the company suddenly said it was canceled for the PS3, and that they were remaking it for the 360. They were removing many of the graphical goodness that it should have had, just so it could work on that sinister device of evil and mechanical failure.

And as I screamed with anger as they announced Alan Wake was being 'dumbed down,' swearing I'd never buy that watered down POS, my Uncle came in my room and laughed, "PS3 has no games, HAHAHAHAHA!"

:(

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

So Blizz finally set a release date for Starcraft II:

This makes me happy in the pants. But just so you know, this actually reads January of 2011 (for those of you who don't know blizzard)

my big question is... will lurker update his avatar when the new game comes out?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Poor RJ and his hatred for the Xbox and need for graphics to satisfy his shallow PS3 centred mind.

And Hurray for Starcraft II. Part of the reason I bought a new computer was to be able to play it! Huzzah!

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I have just played the multiplayer beta for Halo: Reach, and I am now in love with my grenades all over again :p

On a slightly more serious note, I love the 'class' selection they look like they're going for, and I hope they make it customizable. I love the Stalker class, especially when I grab an Energy Sword and/or a Plasma Rifle. Speaking of the Plasma Rifle, it feels like it's been buffed, or at least it seems to deal more damage than it used to when someone's shields were off. Anyways, point is, I really like the Plasma Rifle now. The Assault Rifle and Pistol feel like they got shafted yet again. The new Needler Rifle feels slightly OP, but it's pretty much the new Battle Rifle, just that it shoots needles. Oh, and about the new Battle Rifle: wtf with single shot? I want my burst fire, dammit. Anyways. Energy Sword, Hammer, and Rocket Launcher are still the OMGWTFPWND weapons. Didn't see a Plasma Pistol or any other weapon I might be missing. As for grenades, only found the Frag, and I LOVE THEM. I saw people using the covenant stickies, and they look pretty awesome as well, though I think the timer has been increased.

EDIT: OH! The Shotgun. How could I forget that? Wait, I know how, it's not as good as it was in Halo 3. I mean, yeah, I managed to kill someone point blank with it in one shot, but I don't know how much shield they had. Any other time, it seemed like it really wasn't doing the damage it should have been doing. The Shotgun just feels like it's gotten progressively worse and worse with each new Halo, and I'm sick of that shit. I should not have to be so close that I might as well be humping the other player, in order to do real damage with the Shotgun.

Something I also like is how they've updated some of the graphics on the weapons. The rifles in general look pretty bad-ass. The Pistol, while shit, looks pretty good. The Rocket Launcher looks awesome. The Energy Sword... well, it might be updated, but I couldn't really tell the difference.

The powers. Okay, they all have their usefulness, but the 'run' power feels less useful than the others as far as CTF/Oddball go. I never really did get to test out the 'shield' power. As far as I can tell, you kneel down, plant yourself to the spot, and become invulnerable for a few seconds. If anyone who has used it would like to comment on it, please do so I can have a better understanding of it. Anyways. The 'jetpack' power seems like it's a fun power to use when there's enough open space. Heck, even indoors, if used properly, it could save you.It's still not as fun to me, though, as the 'cloak' is. I don't know how dumb the Halo community has gotten since I last played, but JEBUS I was owning face with the cloak. Even with just the Assault Rifle. I don't like that I can't hear worth a damn while the power is activated, but I guess that's to balance the fact that you're pretty much invisible with it. Well, I guess you are anyways, since I didn't get to see HOW invisible you are because I didn't see anyone else using it, and the only time anyone seemed to notice me while I had it activated was when it de-cloaked me because I started to attack.

As I said before, I really hope they make the classes customizable, or at least the guns you start with. Keep the limit to 4, but make it so you can buy guns to start with (you don't have to KEEP buying them, though). For example, In the demo, the starting guns were always an Assault Rifle and a Pistol. I want it so that you can choose to start with any two guns, with certain exceptions (no Energy Sword, Rocket Launcher, or other one-hit weapon). Of course, special game modes would override this, but that would be understandable.

My only complaint so far is the controls. We're in WHAT year now? There is no excuse for not having fully customizable controls. The best control scheme for me so far is the Recon one, but even in that one, I want to switch the 'Use Equipment' control with the 'Switch Grenade' control.

If they release more stuff for the demo, I hope it's a large (LARGE) map that has vehicles on it. Don't get me wrong, I hate vehicle matches, but I'd at least like to see where they're going with the vehicles.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I absolutely love that they replaced the burst fire. In my mind burst fire is one of the most useless inventions ever. If I want to fire bursts just flip to auto. It's one of the reasons I loved the Rainbow Six series, because I could flick to semi-auto whenever I wanted, and only flicked to auto for very close range.

In the original demo for Halo 2, the battle rifle fired in full auto, except in scope where it fired in semi-auto only. They should have kept that version in my opinion.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Energy Sword, Hammer, and Rocket Launcher are still the OMGWTFPWND weapons.
the rocket launcher is a fire and forget weapon; you fire it and then forget it took no skill.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

I like the Halo series, I really do. I think it's a fun series and is usually a blast to play through.

But this sums up my opinion on it when people consider it to be the standard for the FPS/Sci-fi genre, or to be one of the greatest shooters ever made.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

since I didn't get to see HOW invisible you are because I didn't see anyone else using it
Would rather be the point, would it not?

As far as burst fire goes, I too am a fan; but likewise I don't want to be stuck on burst fire. I don't know about your angelic crown shooting game nonsense or its weaponry options, but I like burst fire for accuracy and power over distance. Of course, failing a burst fire option, doing it manually is not that difficult.

I had a game way back called Delta Force, that was made in the late 90s or early 00s. That was a pretty cool shooter for realism; the best way to play was to choose a long range weapon and sit back sniping everyone, because if someone got some shots at you at a range where they could hit, you were dead; simply because it'd never be one someone, you were always outnumbered horribly.

But I think I've spoken on Delta Force before.

My fav weapon was the laser designator, simply because you always had it, but rarely were allowed to use it.

"King Six to Whisky One, requesting fire mission, over.

King Six, this is Whisky One, request denied."

(Designated missions had support and it let you know during briefing.)

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I've been playing the Reach Beta a little as well, mostly as a split screen guest with my brother. I love that they've finally put a themed Sparten vs Elites mode in the game, as I've always thought there should have been since first playing Halo II. Though I've not had the chance to play more than two games in that mode yet, so will have to reserve judgement on it.

Though I can't believe you would call the sprint ability useless in general combat Tassadar, since in my opinion (and my Halo savant brother's) it's easily one of the best. The added mobility can turn you into an assassination monster and allows you to fight on your terms far more often. It's good for evading grenades and useful for dashing across open ground. It also works against people trying to stick you at close range, since you can often run up to catch them with their own grenade and negate their point that way.

It's worth knowing that the armour lock ability can protect you from even stuck grenades (at the moment), making the covenant homing launcher almost useless against it, spare forcing them to defend for a moment. I still haven't been able to figure out if the active camouflage can shake the lock on though.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sprint's useful with the sword, maybe the hammer. Anything else and the guy you're after is just going to shoot you while you're running at them, and then turn as you run past them to try and get the assassination. Unless you're talking about coming at someone from behind, in which case it's easier to just sticky/shoot the dumb bastard. The elites roll ability is actually better for avoiding grenades, at least in my opinion. And armor lock protects you from the shot that hit you, yes. But the one that shot you can just wait until you're out of lock and shoot you again, and it doesn't restore your shields, so you're still just as vulnerable as before if you were using it to avoid death by bullets, at least if you don't have any teammates backing you up. They both have their uses, but not nearly as many as active camo or the jetpack, is what I'm saying, and sprint just seems to fill a very small niche for me.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

From what I've experienced Armour Lock also sends out a shockwave that depletes the shields of anyone around you. At least, thats what happened to me while I waited for the person who was using Armour Lock to get out of it.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yeah, kinda. Really short range though.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

My point on burst fire being that semi-auto is more accurate as it gives the shooter time to bring the barrel of the gun back down. Automatic is good for very close ranges as you don't care about accuracy if the enemy fills the cross hair. Burst firing is something I always do on automatic, good for medium ranges but if an enemy closes quick I don't have to flip to full auto to deal with the situation, simply hold down the trigger. Firing in bursts is more accurate, but having a weapon, especially one designed for marksmen, force one to fire in a three round burst is ridiculous. It negates the positive effects of semi-auto and full auto. Might as well keep it a fully automatic weapon as you can get the burst effect yourself.

Mind you, I am not speaking against burst fire, as I use it all the time, I just don't like being forced into it.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

My point on burst fire being that semi-auto is more accurate as it gives the shooter time to bring the barrel of the gun back down. Automatic is good for very close ranges as you don't care about accuracy if the enemy fills the cross hair. Burst firing is something I always do on automatic, good for medium ranges but if an enemy closes quick I don't have to flip to full auto to deal with the situation, simply hold down the trigger. Firing in bursts is more accurate, but having a weapon, especially one designed for marksmen, force one to fire in a three round burst is ridiculous. It negates the positive effects of semi-auto and full auto. Might as well keep it a fully automatic weapon as you can get the burst effect yourself.

Mind you, I am not speaking against burst fire, as I use it all the time, I just don't like being forced into it.
I agree with you completely. My response above was to Onis post.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I agree with you completely. My response above was to Onis post.
It was actually in response to Incubus, but also a clarification of my views.