What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

And I agree with you, sin. Way back before the walls of text over what makes an RPG an RPG. Usually you can tell the tone of what's being said with each option. The choices themselves are like previews, then you see your character convey the idea you chose.
Until you run into the problem...

Options:
A) Say hello
B) Walk away

Well, I want to greet them, try to befriend them. *Presses A*

"Hey, you, motherfucker! Get your fucking ass over here!"

Uh... that's not what I meant... How is that hello?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

I just can't get myself to play Dead Space at all. I guess I am just a chicken, but I don't like scary things in general. I couldn't even finish STALKER. Can't stand scary movies either (not the Scary Movie).

I don't understand why people like to be scared. Is it because of the adrenaline rush?
The interesting thing about stalker (and my area of expertise is the use of survival horror in games) is that it is actualy very effective at using its horror elements (as minescule as they may be). it establishes a status quo and then deviates from that in a believable way with the later monsters that is quite unexpected. this is basicaly horror 101 and because of that i found it very intersting.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

RPGs are evolving. No matter what, a RPG/RTS is STILL a RPG on one part. Additionally, the action/RPG (like Kingdom Hearts) are getting more common and genre blending in itself is getting common. Saying a Turn-Based combat system is the hallmark of a RPG period is like saying Defense of the Anchients is a passing fad.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Until you run into the problem...

Options:
A) Say hello
B) Walk away

Well, I want to greet them, try to befriend them. *Presses A*

"Hey, you, motherfucker! Get your fucking ass over here!"

Uh... that's not what I meant... How is that hello?
Never saw that happen once in Mass Effect or Dragon Age...

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I just can't get myself to play Dead Space at all. I guess I am just a chicken, but I don't like scary things in general. I couldn't even finish STALKER. Can't stand scary movies either (not the Scary Movie).

I don't understand why people like to be scared. Is it because of the adrenaline rush?
I actually like the challenge that these games pose. The danger seems much more relevant than in any other game. Take Dead Space for example - if you don't play well, you get dismembered. Over and over again.

At the same time, of course, it's the feeling of mortal danger while in real life being completely safe that makes these games intriguing.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

my point was that this is an argument about semantics. I could attempt to debate the classification of what an RPG is but we would not even begin to approach anyhting close to a concrete definition. the solution is to aproach this in a non-academic fashion, and use the word as an approximation with reference to common use, in essence as a form of communication. instead of clarifying your genre usage, you should address these things on a case by case basis because there are to many exceptions to ever rule.
That's exactly what i did here, i took this game(ME) broke into it's component parts and defined it in an articulated and comprehensive description, while you just went with rpg and who cares about the rest. I don't like being generic and the fact categorizing is complicated doesn't mean that we should just stick to opinion, if i can find a reasonable description based on facts i think it's worth the effort. I never even said it's not an rpg, i don't see a reasonable basis on why you would want to argue that being generic is better.

RPGs are evolving. No matter what, a RPG/RTS is STILL a RPG on one part. Additionally, the action/RPG (like Kingdom Hearts) are getting more common and genre blending in itself is getting common. Saying a Turn-Based combat system is the hallmark of a RPG period is like saying Defense of the Anchients is a passing fad.
Wrong, if you cared to read my post properly you would have noticed that i didn't include a turn-based combat system as a defining factor for something to be a rpg or as an rpg exclusive, but mentioned that pure rpgs, which come from the tabletop games who originated the term, use a turn-based combat system, read twice next time.
Anyway, the fact rpgs are mixing with other categories does not mean that we should just call everything an rpg, let's make an example:

Player2 is newb to the video gaming comunity and wants to know some good games to play, so he asks Player1.

P2: Hey P1, i played Dragon age, heard it's a great rpg, do you know any other great rpgs i might like?
P1: Sure, there 've been a few great ones coming out lately. Like Starcraft 2, dead space 2...
P2: Wait a sec, i've heard of those two, aren't those an rts and a tps?
P1: Tch, you don't know shit kid, everything is an rpg these days!

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

That's exactly what i did here, i took this game(ME) broke into it's component parts and defined it in an articulated and comprehensive description, while you just went with rpg and who cares about the rest. I don't like being generic and the fact categorizing is complicated doesn't mean that we should just stick to opinion, if i can find a reasonable description based on facts i think it's worth the effort. I never even said it's not an rpg, i don't see a reasonable basis on why you would want to argue that being generic is better.

Wrong, if you cared to read my post properly you would have noticed that i didn't include a turn-based combat system as a defining factor for something to be a rpg or as an rpg exclusive, but mentioned that pure rpgs, which come from the tabletop games who originated the term, use a turn-based combat system, read twice next time.
Anyway, the fact rpgs are mixing with other categories does not mean that we should just call everything an rpg, let's make an example:

Player2 is newb to the video gaming comunity and wants to know some good games to play, so he asks Player1.

P2: Hey P1, i played Dragon age, heard it's a great rpg, do you know any other great rpgs i might like?
P1: Sure, there 've been a few great ones coming out lately. Like Starcraft 2, dead space 2...
P2: Wait a sec, i've heard of those two, aren't those an rts and a tps?
P1: Tch, you don't know shit kid, everything is an rpg these days!
Well if you had cared to read my posts twice, you would have noticed the several times i pointed out that definitions are never accurate enough to actualy be true. and even when you think they are, everyone doesn't opperate under the same definition. Then because of their being so many different metrics in determining which definition is best there isn't even a most overall correct definition.

This leaves us with the concept that the best use of genre terms is communication. you describe something as an RPG as a shortcut for describing the game.

Your example of someone claiming deadspace and starcraft are RPGs is perhaps to extreme to be part of the point. often when describing games i find it easier to just use a mix of other games.

I could call deadspace a 3PS RPG, but i find it much better to describe it as what you get when you mix System Shock 2 and Doom 3 with the camera angle of Resident Evil 4, because that is far more accurate and descriptive.

Any time i do use genre to describe something and they dont get it or they think i was wrong, i use a different way of describing it instead of carrying around a 400 page document on my definition of the term RPG.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It would appear as if over 1,000,000 people have downloaded and registered the Dragon Age 2 demo... and just in time as tomorrow was the deadline.

So yay! New stuff.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Good for them. I hate to be that guy and put a damper on the moment though, but....it kinda sounded like they were holding content hostage for the sake of drumming up publicity. Have I got the wrong end of the stick on this one?
Yes they kinda were, EA is seeming to do that more and more often. I'm not a big fan of these DLC packages that are coming out the same day as, or even just a few days after a game's release and even has the start of the DLC in the game itself.

As for these demo gig... I dunno. Maybe they were holding it hostage, but seeing as it wasn't anything big, and the key to unlocking it was free... well that's just an interesting publicity stunt.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i'd like a quote on that. EA aren't nearly the jerks these days that they where at the turn of the century. after all they managed to let deadspace out and that didn't reek of the editorial mandate.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

well yes but the first mirrors edge wasn't handled that well to start with, with several glaring flaws (most notably the situations where combat is necessary instead of optional), but you can see past that to some potential. At the end of the day though mirrors edge did not sell well, it didn't even come close to selling well. Sure some people might want to see mirrors edge 2 but there is no way it would be ecanomicaly viable (especialy when even the creators had to admit the direction they were going was disapointing).

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

well they had projected sales over over 3 million, so thats a pretty large discrepancy.

as for deceptivly large fan bases, unless there are hundreds of thousands of people writing in i wouldn't be expecting a triple A title to be resurected, especialy given the massive cost of making them.

and actualy you are right about the developer coments, i misread my source. what happened was the prototype they submitted to EA was disapointing, and while there is no real way to get around the possibility that EA are being tards, i think its just as likely that mirrors edge 2 was lack luster.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I for one am not entirely upset at the cancelling of Mirror's Edge 2. I never really did enjoy the first one... but I can understand why people would be upset. I have zero figures or quotes however to come into this conversation with.

I'm waiting to see some solid stuff on Battlefield 3 before I get excited in any form. I think Homefront and FEAR 3 are going to be the last FPS games I get for awhile, and those two because I love the tone of the FEAR franchise, and John Milius is penning the script and story for Homefront. John Milius baby! Battlefield 3 could be something really good... or it could be something rather stagnant like Medal of Honor was (Loved the single player for that game, but it was soooo fucking short).

I also wouldn't call Mass Effect the last good franchise Bioware has. Dragon Age II looks pretty damn good, and I'm not going to let the odd DLC crap get in the way of me enjoying the game. I doubt I'm going to get much, if any DLC for it anyway. I hardly touched the stuff for the original game. To be honest, once developers start going on and on about character, tone and story, they catch my attention. Hence why I'm looking forward to FEAR 3 and Homefront.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

I have a good reason in telling lurker to read my post twice, since he literally rebuilt the structure of my post to the advantage of his point, but that doesn't mean you can just go off and steal my lines, especially when they are not directed at you, where are your manners? :rolleyes:
Jokes aside, i always read your posts trice at least and i know exactly what you have said, you realize this discussion in its focused subject is pointless, because it's based on extremely imperfect lore and driven by opinionism, but then again you're the one who said:

well i'd like to argue that statement
So stop pointing out how pointless the discussion is i got it the first time and i don't care, it's getting really boring.:rolleyes:

Besides, i never said anywhere my definition is true or absolute, at best i called it reasonable, which appeals to logic and not straight up pure semantic of terms, since creating a logic stream between a group of terms narrows the meaning of each single term to a more specific target, reducing the opinionative nature of each single one. Simplified "video game" targets a narrower amount of possible objects that the single words "video" and "game" would on their own. The overall better definition lies in the amount of objects you can fit in it, the less generic it gets, the more specific the target, the less probable a misunderstanding.

As a matter of fact, "hybrid action role playing game with a first person shooter battle system", does a better job in identifying the game mass effect and it's features than "pure rpg" does, it's not perfect, it's not absolute, but leave a lot less space for misunderstanding, thus being a better definition. If i bothered to make a review of the game by making a point by point objective observation of the game mechanics, that would be even better because it clarifies things even more.

On an unrelated matter finally installed the DA2 demo and i have to say that i don't like the changes in the battle system for the small amount i've seen for now, i would have preferred if they stuck to the original strategic structure, but in itself seems to be quite interesting, especially from a mage perspective.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

well if you got it the first time why did you keep argueing against it. I am a reasonable person and there isn't really any argument that would work against "I dont care".

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

On an unrelated matter finally installed the DA2 demo and i have to say that i don't like the changes in the battle system for the small amount i've seen for now, i would have preferred if they stuck to the original strategic structure, but in itself seems to be quite interesting, especially from a mage perspective.
I disagree completely. The dropping of the shitty MMO-style stat based combat was without a doubt the best thing they could have done for the game. I actually found myself enjoying some of the combat in the demo, which is more than I can say for any of the combat in DAO. I might even actually buy it once it drops down to $40, even though I still find the characters and setting completely uninteresting despite the amount of effort Bioware put into making a decent palette-swap of a generic sword-and-sorcery Dungeons and Dragons campaign setting.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

well if you got it the first time why did you keep argueing against it. I am a reasonable person and there isn't really any argument that would work against "I dont care".
I think he likes to argue/debate.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

So, changing the topic (before I have to lynch someone)

Does anyone not own a copy of portal? Like, portal 1. I have this gift copy and it's like "How do I gived gift?"

Lurker
Reputation score

It was free on steam for a time, and may be yet. I'd be surprised if anyone here didn't have it.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

No, I dont!

mostly its due to my alergy of buying things.