Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Truly groundbreaking and new.

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: GameTrailers fucks up GOTY 2008

How is this a shitty list? These were the only good games for PS2 this year. Granted, I'm pissed that the faggots picked Rock Band 2 over GH:WT - RB2 wasn't as good of a game. I'm also pissed Persona 4 made the list, that game was a waste of time

Then again I can't sit through TBRPGs anymore, not after having played games like Oblivion, so maybe I am predisposed to dislike it.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

More like game developers fucked up GOTY 2008
+Why would you ever listen to gametrailers.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

its true, even funny people like yahtzee don't have an opinion you should care about. only rely on things you hear from people you know.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

True.

In my case though, I don't trust the "people I know" for shit. 2 out of 4 of the people I asked got Left4Dead on 360 cuz they "can't imagine playing shooters on pc." The only people I ever trust for gaming opinions now are my brothers. I've very much considered doing some type of webcast with the bunch of us together cuz, as I've always said, ask all of us something and one is bound to know it. But then again, that's kinda compromising of integrity cuz it's against my whole stance of "no one knows your preferences but you"

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I can kinda understand it, if you've become so retardedly desensitized to being a stereotypical casual college gamer that you play all games dual analog to the point where you don't know anything else, but jesus christ man, try evolving to understand the purity of simplicity! What the fuck is wrong with point and shoot with a mouse?

Lurker
Reputation score

I usually play my shooters on a console, but I ran the demo of left 4 dead on my laptop too as a personal challenge. I'm going to try and get some shooters for that now too, because it was amusing and I'm on my computer more often.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I usually play my shooters on a console, but I ran the demo of left 4 dead on my laptop too as a personal challenge. I'm going to try and get some shooters for that now too, because it was amusing and I'm on my computer more often.
See? Adopt, adapt, improve

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'm also pissed Persona 4 made the list, that game was a waste of time
EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE

I'm not angry at their opinions, I'm angry that they stuck a multi-console, mediocre sequel (and I use that term loosely in this case) to a mediocre game BASED off another mediocre game.

Fucking Rock Band (and Guitar Hero) always gets too much credit. It's a glorified rock band simulator and it gets too much fucking attention. Persona 4 is so much more than that, and over 75% of the people in my state probably don't even know about it and don't have the time to listen to me talk about it, because they're too busy TRYIN 2 BEET A SONG ON EXPERRRRRT LULZ

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Fucking Rock Band and Guitar Hero always gets too much credit. It's a glorified rock band simulator and it gets too much fucking attention.

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE

I'm not angry at their opinions, I'm angry that they stuck a multi-console, mediocre sequel (and I use that term loosely in this case) to a mediocre game BASED off another mediocre game.

Fucking Rock Band (and Guitar Hero) always gets too much credit. It's a glorified rock band simulator and it gets too much fucking attention. Persona 4 is so much more than that, and over 75% of the people in my state probably don't even know about it and don't have the time to listen to me talk about it, because they're too busy TRYIN 2 BEET A SONG ON EXPERRRRRT LULZ
Either that or trying to beat Halo 3 on Legendary.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I used to really enjoy shooters on PC, then my PC got dated. I still enjoy them (DooM3 kicked much more ass on PC then XBox, and Return to Castle Wolfenstien was awesome too), but I also enjoy the console controllers for shooters. That's my personal opinion, I enjoy it.

I am going to get Left 4 Dead for Xbox 360, for a few reasons. A) my computer ain't that fucking good. B) My TV is a much more impressive screen than my monitor C) My Xbox is set up in a much nicer spot, where I can more easily hang out with my brother or Sly while I play, instead of locking myself in the office. D) Should the computer be required for anything other than my personal entertainment I don't have to get off.

So... PCs are fun, but so are consoles...

I got off topic

gameguru777

Lurker
Reputation score

No matter what a reviewer says or does it will never, EVER make everybody happy. This list is a great example. Some people may look at the list and say. "WTF! HOW THE HELL DID (insert game name here) GET THAT HIGH ON THE LIST!!!" And some will say "I FUCKIN' LOVE THAT GAME! IT DESERVED THAT SPOT! I'M GONNA GO EAT ME SOME HAMBURGERS!!!" (disregard that comment about the hamburgers... got the late night munchies...)

Point being that not every list or review will make everybody happy. There will always be some fan boy that will be angry that "Final Fantasy whatever" is not on a top five games of all time list. Likewise someone will be angry that a gramer game is on the list. (If you do not know what a gramer is, please take a moment to watch the delightful series of "Nametags"... seriously, its like "Scrubs", meets "The Office", with video games thrown in the mix.)

The most common solution I have heard to the problem is "Well, don't listen to reviewers because they can't tell you what you personally like." Afterward I walk up to said idiot and smack them on the back of the head! Alright, so it is a bit true, everyone has their own tastes and so forth, but there is something else in the mix that people who say that do not take into account: Truly BAD games.

Reading game reviews is a GOOD thing, because it tells you what is good about the game, and what sucks about the game and gives you a good idea of if you should purchase that game. Seriously, do you have around $50 dollars to buy a game that you will not know if you even like (renting works, but not if you are a PC gamer...) Lastly, what is dangerous about listening to game reviewers is if you listen to only one. Yahtzee for example is great and hilarious. However only a fool would believe EVERY WORD HE SAYS to reflect how they feel about every game. Read several different reviews (there are websites for that, it takes about 15 min. to find all you want to know about a game.) and form an educated opinion about how much you personally will enjoy a game before you buy it... maybe then terrible games will not make as much money and some developers will put more effort into their games... and maybe hell will freeze over...

And about the whole PC vs. Console thing, here is my two cents. All you PC exclusive gamers who think themselves as Super beings because you use a keyboard instead of a controller... think about this. PC gaming was built on point and click adventures which then died out so the PC turned to having vast amounts of FPS games. That is still true to today. Most of the games for PC that are not FPS seem to be taking a page from console games, only the consoles seem to do it better. In fact, most of the AMAZING PC games that everyone is hyped up about is also out on a console... only nobody had to upgrade their systems to play it on full settings.

(Dear god, I really did type a lot... just had to vent a bit... sorry)

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

My pick for game of the year is

On the PC vs. Console issue, some games simply play better on PC (Half-Life 2, Doom, TF2) and certain games play better on consoles (Halo series, Timesplitters series, Metroid Prime series). I'd rather get a game life Left 4 Dead for my PC, but it isn't strong enough so I'll have to get it for my 360 if I want it.

For me personal preference takes a backseat to practicality. I'd rather be able to play Bioshock on my 360 with good controls and damn good graphics rather than play it on my PC looking like shit with a ton of lag just to have excellent controls.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I never said anything besides shooters for the PC v 360 thing. And I can only imagine games that weren't available to both being "better on a console." I don't hate console fps's and it's not the fact it's on PC I like it. I'll maintain that the best shooter ever was Goldeneye for the N64 which me and my friends still get together nearly every weekend for to have Goldeneye parties with his big screen. I like console fps's but if it's a game that's available for both, I can't imagine doing it console and liking it as much. Those two friends who got left4dead on their xbox instead of pc? I still go over to their houses and play it there with them, I was just speaking matter or preference.

And no, I think gaming preferences are so diverse that anything short of superman64 can be liked by anyone, and say fuckall to reviewers. Sure, chances are higher of disliking it, but if I take into account every time some game gets a 9.8 out of 10 from every reviewer and it bores me with it's lack of story or frustrates me with it's mechanical problems then who the hell is to say I won't like what they hate?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The one thing that PC will always kick console ass at... RTS... boo yah! Go Dawn of War and Company of Heroes and Starcraft... and many more...

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Raised on Command and Conquer
I know he didn't even look like him but every time I think of seth, I imagine him as Steve Buscemi... just cuz I think that would have worked better

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Never been a huge fan of C&C... oh well, they were still fun.

gameguru777

Lurker
Reputation score

The one thing that PC will always kick console ass at... RTS... boo yah! Go Dawn of War and Company of Heroes and Starcraft... and many more...
... I can't really argue with that...

But yeah the whole thing about PC's was not a shot at anyone in particular. I have a few friends who trash talk consoles because they are PC gamers... There are people like that who only like PC's, that was to them...