What's new

GameTrailers fucks up GOTY 2008

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score
Re: GameTrailers fucks up GOTY 2008

The one thing that PC will always kick console ass at... RTS... boo yah! Go Dawn of War and Company of Heroes and Starcraft... and many more...
Fuck yeah! RTS and RPG are some of my favorite sorta games, and I've been getting proficiant on the mapmaking for WC3 recently. Custom models are so fun to play with ^,^

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

...there are people that prefer playing FPS on a console?

Am I missing something?

I always assumed it was general acceptance that it was easier to handle a mouse than an analog stick. If there's someone behind you and you want to turn around quickly, mouse >>>>>>>> dual analog

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sorry Aika, that is not necessarily true. Especially if you turn the sensitivity up on your analog sticks. Not only that, I actually found it harder to turn around quickly with the mouse because of the mouse pad, whilst the analog stick had no such restriction.

Lurker
Reputation score

I've found that the mousepad is the bane of pc gamers, and they almost always prefer using a mouse proper.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I think she meant an actual pad you put under a mouse, not a touchpad like on laptops. Though I agree that it's hard to play with a touchpad :p

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Console vs pc? Well, I would have to say the ps3 is a pc. Because right now I am using it to type up this post, odd.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I did mean a pad that you put under a mouse. I'd hate to play with a touchpad.

And a PS3 dosn't really count as a PC... its still technically a console. Even if you can go online and such.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

If being able to get online and post made something a PC, my PSP would be a PC. A shitty PC that can't play flash over 1MB, and can only play movies in MP4 format, or w/e it is.

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm primarily a PC gamer simply by necessity - I have a PC, and I DON'T have money for a decent console. Hell, my PS2 was free.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I actually found it harder to turn around quickly with the mouse because of the mouse pad, whilst the analog stick had no such restriction.
Laser mouse + my desk without a pad.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

When I was still an avid PC gamer Aika, Laser mouses were an expensive and luxurious thing to be had.

Psycho

Lurker
Reputation score

In my case though, I don't trust the "people I know" for shit. 2 out of 4 of the people I asked got Left4Dead on 360 cuz they "can't imagine playing shooters on pc."
They are stupid in that sense, but I can understand the sentiment. If you arn't used to FPS on a PC, you shouldn't try L4D. I've played it in both, and prefer the console. Really, I never understood the huge discrepansies people talk about when comparing a mouse to a controller. If you're good with a console, you'll do just fine. The only time I actualy wish I had a mouse are sometimes when using scopes, but that's rare.

Also, I find controllers less restricting. If you wanna stand up or sit in a different way, you can.

Also, my PC would have a heart attack with L4D, so there's that.

The one thing that PC will always kick console ass at... RTS... boo yah! Go Dawn of War and Company of Heroes and Starcraft... and many more...
Hell to the fucking yeah! I love Relic, and I hate Blizzard (Please, don't argue this. Not in the 'I am rigth' sense, more like 'I don't feel like having this debate rigth now...') COH has stolen so much of my time, and DOW 2 looks great.

But hey, Halo Wars migth change that. From what I've seen, enficise migth.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sorry Psycho, but I'm not entirely sure that Halo Wars will change that. But time will tell right?

And I am curious as to why you hate Blizzard? Is it their artwork (which I disagree with. Too cartoony for my tastes, though the cinematics are great), their constant knack for pushing games back? Or is it something else involving gameplay (which I assume it is)? Just curious is all, don't hear of too many people who don't like Blizzard.

As for trusting people I know on games, I'm confident. When I talk to most of my gamer friends about various games, we discuss good and bad points without resorting to "OHMIGOD! SO GOOD! BUY NOW" or "STUPID SHIT! HALO IS BETTER!" (no comments on the Halo thing. That argument is in the Overated games thread), and so our opinions may differ but we are still able to discuss games are various levels and get new insights to them through story, graphics, gameplay, audio, animation, etc.

Psycho

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, I don't like Blizzards gameplay. It's very much a personal kind of hate, and also how people rave them. I understand they're good, I won't deny that. I do think people blow them out of proportions though.

Yes, SC is super balanced, but that means shit to me. It came out 10 years ago, that really doesn't hold it's weigth now. Yes SC is a competitive E-sport, but it's pretty much the only REAL competive RTS E-sport anyways.

Yes WC3 has thousands of players even today, but I bet at least half of that is just custom games, and not so much love for the game itself. I love the custom games there, but not much else.

Also, I just don't like they're gameplay. It feels too same-y. I mean, look at the races in both SC and WC3, they share too many of the god-damn same qualities and mechanics. I know Blizzard is good, I just don't think they're as good as everyone thinks they are.

Also, I feel SC2 is a slap on the face. I mean, they're gonna make a sequel to the 'most acclaimed RTS' and they don't do much with it. I understand they can't change a lot, but if they weren't gonna change that much begin with, why bother? It's already 'perfect' as is, how do you expand it?

You don't really, save for adding a 4th race. But hey, FUCK IT, let's just tinker around with the races a lot!

Diablo 3 however, that actually looks like a fucking sequel.

BTW, I know Relic has plenty of flaws, but I had tons more fun with their games than Blizzard ones.

PS: I also want to stab anyone that defends SC against WH40K. You say tomato, I say LOOK AT THEM! HOW DO YOU NOT REALISE WHAT THEY DID?!?!

Not that i like WH40K much anymore.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

You are aware that starcraft was originally a warhammer 40k game, only games workshop pulled out half way through cos they thought it would flop.

Blizzard games are good for their extreme amount of resources that they can afford to spend making their games as good as possible. A good example of this is that they hire cinematographers to help make their cut scenes.

Psycho

Lurker
Reputation score

You are aware that starcraft was originally a warhammer 40k game, only games workshop pulled out half way through cos they thought it would flop.
You know what? I'm not a total hater, and from playing WH40K for a while, that sounds like something GW would do. The pricks.

You got a link so i can read up and get the rigth info? Cause I actually hadn't heard that before.

And hey, I'm not saying Blizzard is bad. I PERSONALLY can't tolerate them. THATS JUST ME!

I just don't think they're the gods a lot of people make em up to be.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

my e-detective skills have only turned up one forum post suggesting the history as such:

Some Guy said:
Even though its not official, what apparently happened is that back in the days, Blizzard wanted to make a Warhammer-based strategy game and word goes they actually got the rights. Unfortunately, Games Workshop decided to pull the plug of this project for undisclosed reasons. However blizzard did not quit so easily. since they were kind of a small company back in the days, they decided trashing the project in which they had worked so hard would be a complete waste of resources, so instead they changed most copyrighted names and brands on the material they already had, created some different assets, and thus Warcraft was born.

Starcraft is a completely different matter because it was created years later. Most of SC races are inspired in one or more W40k races, while still keeping certain key differences along with a completely different story background. The ironic thing is, SC was originally intended to be a Star Wars game, but since acquiring the Lucasarts rights would be severely expensive, Blizzard once more decided to create something more of their own. While SC is still massively inspired by w40k, it can still mantain a certain originality of its own, so no, SC isnt a ripoff of W40k.
i wasn't far off really but in the end it doesn't really matter.