What's new

How had your taste in H-games changed?

Funsizelife

Reputation score
I've been around this hobby for a few years now. And the older I get, the blander my taste gets, and the less I can tolerate.

I mean, I was never a fan of Ryona or Scat. But stuff like tentacles, NTR and Chikan are things that I didn't mind as much. However, as I get older, the less I want to see any monsters, and I get very squeamish when I see any suggestion of blood, pain or distention. And the industry is so focused on rape too! It's so hard to avoid it. I find myself unable to open Playhome, and the only micomisomi game I kept is the Animal ear pair game. I thought the longer I'm around, the deeper I dive. Instead, NTR is like, the most offensive thing I can take now.

So I'm curious, how it went for you guys? Are you guys getting deeper into the rabbit hole? There's always someone for a particular kink, but have yours changed?

Tewi

Reputation score
Kind of a simillar case here, as I got older I started to play games with more normal/humanoid enemies, tentacles can only do so much before they get boring. Though never could and will never can stomach the extreme stuff like guro, ryona, scat or extreme bdsm. I'd be lying if I said I dislike rapey stuff though. It'd be nice to get some good vainilla/light stuff too, but that's really hard to come by unless you play a rpg-maker game, and there's so many bland ones that it's not even worth to look for them in the ocean of generic 10 cg games.

NTR is the opposite for me though, I found it terrible at first but there's so many quality art in that genre. So I just learnt to turn off my brain when playing/reading NTR stuff since they always follow the same stupid "plot" pattern 90% of the time, specially frustrating with H-manga.

So I'd say I'm getting deeper in some rabbit holes but not in others.

ririmudev

Reputation score
Ah, catharsis. I was kind of vanilla to begin with, but have gotten moreso over the years. My interest in monster girls has gone up, but to be honest, mostly for accessories like succubus wings, cat ears, etc. Even lamias are almost pushing it (hehe... almost). I've never sought out NTR, but I'm somewhat ok with it, since I like kind of high stakes, and if I lose, I can always say "whatever". Never liked tentacles; it was always unrelatable, from my perspective. I've come to find light/moderate BDSM interesting, though not necessarily arousing.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Pretty much stayed the same. I hate the same stuff, like the same stuff, and find the same stuff disgusting. If we're talking about gameplay instead of fetishes though, I've all but given up on the majority of RPGs, only really trying those that break the tired, shitty, awful H-JRPG mold. Whereas I used to at least try to give some of them a try.

Artstyle/quality is another thing that my preference for has changed, I'm alot more willing to accept technically inferior art ( though still not stuff that looks like it should have been done in crayon ) than I was in the past.

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Theres definitely a type who likes Tentacles and Femdom and i'm it, but i didn't know i liked Femdom until i played MGQ.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Hasn't changed much really, other than the fact I've lost the patience to play through most RPGs before immediately going to decrypt them/grabbing a save and seeing if the H content would've even been worth it. So many of them just waste so much of the player's time it's unreal - they have you doing mind-numbing fetch-quests, boring battles, or sitting through pointless exposition about a cookie-cutter story in a game you're only really playing for one reason - fulfilling the prophecy and deciding the fate of the elf kingdom aint it.
That's not to say I think H-games of any kind should be devoid of any plot or context, but when it (or the general gameplay loop) gets so far in the way of the fucking, it then becomes an RPG with adult content rather than a "true" H-RPG, and there are better games to play for either side of that experience.

OP
F

Funsizelife

Reputation score
I've actually quit platformer games for similar reasons. So many games have meh gameplay and meh H-content, but they make you run through a buggy 10 minute stage, and you had to die deliberately to some of these to get those contents, so it adds more gametime. But there's only like 4 unique monsters per stage, so there's not enough content to actually let you fap, so you needed to actually collect the animations and fap after a 2 hour play.

I don't understand how we went from kooonsoft games to these crap. Oh kooonsoft, we missed you.

Jesus

Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
I've actually quit platformer games for similar reasons. So many games have meh gameplay and meh H-content, but they make you run through a buggy 10 minute stage, and you had to die deliberately to some of these to get those contents, so it adds more gametime. But there's only like 4 unique monsters per stage, so there's not enough content to actually let you fap, so you needed to actually collect the animations and fap after a 2 hour play.

I don't understand how we went from kooonsoft games to these crap. Oh kooonsoft, we missed you.
I definitely think there's a sweet-spot for game length v frequency of new content (v quality of content), whatever type of game it is. You gotta appreciate though that ACT games typically use animations - the amount of work they can take is not trivial. There are plenty of them that hit that sweet-spot, like Koooonsoft's, and/or just have a lot of content that isn't repeated over and over (best-case with the ability to easily revisit parts). In my view, the majority of ACT games avoid this being an issue well enough. But the handful I've come across that are bad for it, are bad for it.
I think it's a much more pervasive issue with RPGs, with lots of moon-runes to skip through between the gameplay sections/cutscenes that let you get that H. The more content is repeated, the more of a chore it becomes. I'm playing Key of Egg right now and it serves as a great example of that.

kiko

aka the Asian rapper Kikkoman Flowsauce
Reputation score
My taste pretty much remained the same since I first delved into the world of adult games back in 2007

What I like in games:
Action games, pixel sex, sidescrollers, bestiality, monsters, rape, ugly men raping pretty women (in games ofcourse), helpless (female) protagonist, strong protagonist, anything animated, lolis, yuri

What I don't like:
Scat, Guro, RPGMaker games (With a few exceptions), Male protag (Unless you're the one doing the raping), male on male stuff (mainly because I'm a straight dude), lazy cashgrab games, 3D visual novels, reused assets

DemonBreath

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I'm the complete opposite of most in thread. In terms of general hentai, my taste has only expanded, and I wasn't even vanilla to begin with. I like almost everything you could classify as a significant category (so I'm not including something like dragons having sex with cars) in at least light amounts, the exception being scat. But most turn-offs, like guro, snuff, vore, NTR, vomit, CBT, dismemberment, giantess etc. I've been de-sanitised to enough to find them appealing, and its 100% the fault of /d/.

Also unlike the rest of thread, and despite what you may think with me having said I enjoy more extreme stuff, my patience has only grown. I've grown a real fondness for the tease, which in my experience is often the best bit. I stopped playing AKIRA points when I unlocked the second sex scene because it just didn't interest me. And with this comes a very strong liking for level drain games, which I know for a fact most people hate, but the idea of grinding for a really long time, only to have it taken away in a second is a unique pleasure.
And what I really appreciate more than anything is h-content that's incorporated into some kind of system. The game keeping track of everything the character has done, and that being reflected in significant changes to gameplay is something that is so infrequently delivered, but something I love every time its done. Think Jumble Jokers. Even if the game re-uses so many assests, the simple addition of heroines being able to develop phobias of monsters after being raped too many times does more for me than some entire games, even when only from a flavour perspective. Characters reacting to said monsters with fear in battle is really just the icing on the cake.

Jesus

Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Also unlike the rest of thread, and despite what you may think with me having said I enjoy more extreme stuff, my patience has only grown. I've grown a real fondness for the tease, which in my experience is often the best bit. I stopped playing AKIRA points when I unlocked the second sex scene because it just didn't interest me. And with this comes a very strong liking for level drain games, which I know for a fact most people hate, but the idea of grinding for a really long time, only to have it taken away in a second is a unique pleasure.
And what I really appreciate more than anything is h-content that's incorporated into some kind of system. The game keeping track of everything the character has done, and that being reflected in significant changes to gameplay is something that is so infrequently delivered, but something I love every time its done. Think Jumble Jokers. Even if the game re-uses so many assests, the simple addition of heroines being able to develop phobias of monsters after being raped too many times does more for me than some entire games, even when only from a flavour perspective. Characters reacting to said monsters with fear in battle is really just the icing on the cake.
I agree strongly with this sentiment - this sort of scenario and the mechanics to back them up are not mutually exclusive with good pacing however. One of my favorite H-games is Angelic Apostle Liebe, where instead of constantly getting more powerful throughout gameplay, your stats etc are instead always ticking down to zero making subsequent failures more and more likely, and has systems that ensure some level of failure during a given playthrough. It does well to feed into the context the game is trying to set up, and all of that content can be experienced in relatively short order. That said it is quite light on content overall, the in-gameplay animations are really basic, there's only a handful of CG image-sets per character and you progress through them in a linear fashion. A similar game with simply more/more varied content and more/better H-content during the dungeon-crawling sequences would be top-tier.

As I've said a few times before, I think H-games work best on the conventions of survival-horror and that game is just one of several examples where it's done well.

DemonBreath

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I agree strongly with this sentiment - this sort of scenario and the mechanics to back them up are not mutually exclusive with good pacing however. One of my favorite H-games is Angelic Apostle Liebe, where instead of constantly getting more powerful throughout gameplay, your stats etc are instead always ticking down to zero making subsequent failures more and more likely, and has systems that ensure some level of failure during a given playthrough. It does well to feed into the context the game is trying to set up, and all of that content can be experienced in relatively short order. That said it is quite light on content overall, the in-gameplay animations are really basic, there's only a handful of CG image-sets per character and you progress through them in a linear fashion. A similar game with simply more/more varied content and more/better H-content during the dungeon-crawling sequences would be top-tier.

As I've said a few times before, I think H-games work best on the conventions of survival-horror and that game is just one of several examples where it's done well.
I also quite like Angelic Apostle Liebe, but I find it somewhat hard to revist as the gameply loop of "initially overpowered protagonist becomes weaker and weaker" has seemed to turn into something of a sub-genre of its own, so its uniquer elements are becoming more and more distilled.

I've also found horror-themed h-games to score quite highly (SHRIFT has pulled me in to a degree few games have in recent memory), but I hadn't put much thought into why. That design philosophy is so ingrained into horror games that I suppose it would be the natural outcome. I guess I'm also just a sick fuck that likes the mortal dread present in those games.
Such systems also open up a lot more possibilities for individual playthroughs to have unique characteristic/progression style, which I think is also something that goes vastly un-mentioned. I have nothing against VNs really, but the benefit of making a H-GAME is that emergent element that's obviously not present in a strictly linear VN/Game (not that linear is bad; some of my favs in the genre are as linear as they get). For as old as it is, this is the reason I still get so much mileage out of Violated Heroine. Boot-up in debug mode and run around the place doing whatever the fuck and create some semblance of my own story (VH isn't a great example of what I'm talking about, but an example of how in even small amounts it can improve a game).

NLL

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
I used to like tentacles, but now I find them kinda meh. I still enjoy the concept, I just don't find it arousing.
I was really into yuri when I was younger, but now I find it so painfully boring. Same with femdom.
I used to get weirded out by pregnancy bellies and shit but honestly I kinda like that now, at least as a finishing touch to a story.
I used to dislike pubic hair around the ol vagene, but now I like a little hair here and there.

That's about it for general fetishes. Pig men raping voluptuous bikini-clad shieldmaidens is my taste distilled down to it's essence, and that hasn't changed since December 23rd, 2011.

As for games, I've always preferred action games to VNs and RPGs. I just can't get into dialogue-heavy shit, always get bored after a couple of hours and eventually jump into the images folder to be disappointed at the relatively small number of CGs. And my taste in ACT games has remained the same.

Jesus

Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
I also quite like Angelic Apostle Liebe, but I find it somewhat hard to revist as the gameply loop of "initially overpowered protagonist becomes weaker and weaker" has seemed to turn into something of a sub-genre of its own, so its uniquer elements are becoming more and more distilled.

I've also found horror-themed h-games to score quite highly (SHRIFT has pulled me in to a degree few games have in recent memory), but I hadn't put much thought into why. That design philosophy is so ingrained into horror games that I suppose it would be the natural outcome. I guess I'm also just a sick fuck that likes the mortal dread present in those games.
That's one way to put it lmao. For me it's that these games tend to take themselves somewhat more seriously.

Such systems also open up a lot more possibilities for individual playthroughs to have unique characteristic/progression style, which I think is also something that goes vastly un-mentioned. I have nothing against VNs really, but the benefit of making a H-GAME is that emergent element that's obviously not present in a strictly linear VN/Game (not that linear is bad; some of my favs in the genre are as linear as they get). For as old as it is, this is the reason I still get so much mileage out of Violated Heroine. Boot-up in debug mode and run around the place doing whatever the fuck and create some semblance of my own story (VH isn't a great example of what I'm talking about, but an example of how in even small amounts it can improve a game).
I agree, non-linearity can make games much more enjoyable. I've brought it up before, it's a big part of why Sexlab for Skyrim is so popular, even if it is a pain in the ass to set up, because there are so many different potential contexts for the often-janky animations to take place in, which evolves as the player keeps on playing. Escaped from the bandits only to be cornered by a pack of wolves, as just one example. Kidnapped the shop-keeper and gave her the D, for another. Someone should really make a map for that game that's designed around all the adult skyrim mods, there are a few concepts from RPG-maker H-games in that respect that could work really well in conjunction.

As sad as the visual aspects are are, there's even a sex mod for Mount & Blade (Dickplomacy), the gameplay of which work really well if it were a different game that's built from the ground-up around the adult content rather than simulating hundreds of troops in battle and the political landscape - Party members being taken captive and the ability for you to rescue them (or fail in doing so); your army being wiped out and you get captured (or vice-versa), a noble defending their realm against the unwashed masses of peasant bandits, a footsoldier fighting against the hordes of evil monsters/men/monster-men, a trader trying to make a profit amidst all the chaos. There are plenty of different potential set-ups to the next major event and opportunities to contextualize them. On top of the fact that there's nothing to ever make you have to restart, no true or practical "death" for the player, making it it all easily woven into a story the player has been responsible for progressing. The potential for roleplay and totally different outcomes is quite vast.

OP
F

Funsizelife

Reputation score
I agree, non-linearity can make games much more enjoyable. I've brought it up before, it's a big part of why Sexlab for Skyrim is so popular, even if it is a pain in the ass to set up, because there are so many different potential contexts for the often-janky animations to take place in, which evolves as the player keeps on playing. Escaped from the bandits only to be cornered by a pack of wolves, as just one example. Kidnapped the shop-keeper and gave her the D, for another. Someone should really make a map for that game that's designed around all the adult skyrim mods, there are a few concepts from RPG-maker H-games in that respect that could work really well in conjunction.

As sad as the visual aspects are are, there's even a sex mod for Mount & Blade (Dickplomacy), the gameplay of which work really well if it were a different game that's built from the ground-up around the adult content rather than simulating hundreds of troops in battle and the political landscape - Party members being taken captive and the ability for you to rescue them (or fail in doing so); your army being wiped out and you get captured (or vice-versa), a noble defending their realm against the unwashed masses of peasant bandits, a footsoldier fighting against the hordes of evil monsters/men/monster-men, a trader trying to make a profit amidst all the chaos. There are plenty of different potential set-ups to the next major event and opportunities to contextualize them. On top of the fact that there's nothing to ever make you have to restart, no true or practical "death" for the player, making it it all easily woven into a story the player has been responsible for progressing. The potential for roleplay and totally different outcomes is quite vast.
Sure, sims and skyrim mods are fun, but those are so because the community created it through years of collective effort. A few H-rpg games have tried to emulate this kind of experience, and aside from VH, they're mostly just ok. Part of the problem is pacing, they want to give you reward for continuing to explore the game, and in h-games, what other reward should they lock away aside from hscenes? After all, they need to boost play time in order to sell it as a "larger" game, at a higher cost. So even if you can interact with townspeople, it'll take a while before you unlock options.

Often, as soon as a game give me open world option, I give myself 5 minutes, and if I don't find something screwing with each other, I'll give up. This type of game can work, definitely, as shown by the text based rpg like Corruption of Champion, but the dev time for animation is a huge barrier, even for games with asset recycling like My secret Summer vacation.

That being said, if Illusion can hire someone with traditional game experience, I think this is plausible. They're mostly just recycling all of the assets they've got in the last few years anyways.

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score
Well, overall I'd say my desire for vanilla stuffs has gone down (still appreciate good ones here n there), and still a big nope to more extreme stuffs like Guro, Scat, etc.

My tolerance for NTR has gotten better, though I feel it's more of the 'boyfriend/husband' being such a thin presence/loser or the NTRist doing it with finesse enough I stop thinking of it as NTR and just more of rape/blackmail stuffs.
It's down to feelings basically.
After all, even a seemingly 'sweet' stuffs like a young man getting his childhood crush would be NTR if said crush is actually the young man's older brother's wife.

Tewi

Reputation score
I think the problem with NTR is that most of the time it boils down to the same plot every single time. Either is a silly excuse for blackmail, or just plain old mind-break rape into submission (even worse when it's just a dick size comparison, which most of the time isn't even noticeable, between the boyfriend/husband and the rapist). Not to mention that 9/10 times the guy is an ugly bastard. It get's old quite fast, just like generic 6-8 cg RPG-maker games with a girl adventurer getting raped by slimes, goblins and orcs (and usually in that order too).

Not saying there isn't any decent NTR material (plot wise), but most of the time I have to turn off my brain to enjoy the usually top tier art (Seriously, there's so much quality art poured into NTR stuff). Though I guess this complaint comes most from a H doujin perspective rather than a H games one, since I'm more of an action h-game myself. The only NTR games I played are from Acerola since most of the time you are the one deciding how to corrupt the heroine and there are lots of H-content.

DemonBreath

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
My tolerance for NTR has gotten better, though I feel it's more of the 'boyfriend/husband' being such a thin presence/loser or the NTRist doing it with finesse enough I stop thinking of it as NTR and just more of rape/blackmail stuffs.
I think the problem with NTR is that most of the time it boils down to the same plot every single time. Either is a silly excuse for blackmail, or just plain old mind-break rape into submission
Despite the male-perspetctive being the main focus of many NTR works, in my experience NTR became a lot more bearable, and eventually a lot more enjoyable, when I internally changed the girl into the "protagonist". Its difficult to spice things up from the cuck's perspective, almost by definition, since they don't play an active part in the sex. Though "wholesome" netorase is becoming more and more popular, which is somewhat of a pallete cleanser. But form the female perspective you can just enjoy the flavour of the scenario, and especially when the heroine is more reciprocal, instead of the misery-porn the male perspective is 99% of the time. Granted, this is more easily done for a VN/Doujin than h-game with an actively controlled character, but NTR shit is much more commonplace in the former two than the latter anyway. Find one of the better ranked atelier sakura VNs, skip through to the end and just recollect the scenes from the wife's perspective. In my experience, which I'm hardly going to pretend is vast, its where all the enjoyment is.

There's also a whole load of NTR works that border into strange repressed homoerotic territory (this is mostly present in netorase stuff, where the male protagonist gets super obsessive about the sexual prowess of the bull, and oftentimes bond with him over it), which can obviously be quite off putting if you don't fancy that stuff. Even as someone who enjoys and actively seeks yaoi shit I can find this stuff weird and not that appealing.

Myrran

Reputation score
My tastes didn't change at all.
Impregnation is a must.
A big no no are tentacles, lgbt, monsters, monster girls, futas, huge boobs, bdsm and some others which I most likely forgot to mention.

KillerDxD

Reputation score
My taste has changed quite a bit ever since I've first started browsing for hentai games. I used to be a mind control/ corruption kind of guy(still am) and only browse the forum for those 2 genres of game in most forum websites. Body type was where i changed from only somewhat normal female type with BB type breasts to developing a loli preference in general. I also used to hate NTR and with Thug Hero Party being so extreme on ntr and my first entry to it, I rather despised the genre as a whole for around 1 year or 2, assuming most NTR games are going to be like it. After a while of playing games with NTR tag alongside my base tastes, I've developed a bit of tolerance towards the genre and don't hate it as much as i used to. Haven't ran into more extreme games that caught my attention with scat or guro tags, but ill give it a go some other time when i do find a title with it that seems interesting.