What's new

[Complete - Full] I have no regrets about translating SEQUEL colony to English (RJ253732)

ShinVeritas

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
The "Exhausted" state caused by Rabi's Full Combo skill reduces ATK to 30%, not by 30%.
One of Emela's post-game weapons is missing the item color tag (<アイテムカラー:2>) in its Note.

phenir

Lurker
Reputation score
The description of the ruined survivor's swordspear is too long, I can't see what the special effects it has are. Unless there is a way to scroll item descriptions I'm unaware of.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
@phenir thanks! You drew attention to a rather nasty off-by-one error that affected all items. I fixed it, tested that didn't crash the game, and here's the new patch. Hopefully that's the last of the critical errors and the rest is just boring typos.

Changes:
  • All item descriptions were rendering one line lower than intended, causing some descriptions to be cut off from the screen
  • The description of skill Full Combo claimed the Exhausted state reduces ATK by 30% when it actually reduces ATK by 70%
  • The name color of weapon Leidengewehr was accidentally removed

Last edited:

ShinVeritas

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Minor suggestions: rename "Battering Pile Detonation" to "Bunker Buster". Similarly, the "Battering Pile Detonation Usable" state can be renamed to "Bunker Buster Primed". Also, Lestea's "Tall Wave" should probably be "High Tide". Similarly, "Next Tall Wave" may be an accurate literal translation of the follow-up skill, but it would probably sound and fit better as "Riptide". The associated ready state could be named "Rising Tide" or something. On an unrelated note, it's a shame signature skills are restricted to specific brands with such bad stats.

Last edited:
OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Minor suggestions: rename "Battering Pile Detonation" to "Bunker Buster". Similarly, the "Battering Pile Detonation Usable" state can be renamed to "Bunker Buster Primed". Also, Lestea's "Tall Wave" should probably be "High Tide". Similarly, "Next Tall Wave" may be an accurate literal translation of the follow-up skill, but it would probably sound and fit better as "Riptide". The associated ready state could be named "Rising Tide" or something. On an unrelated note, it's a shame signature skills are restricted to specific brands with such bad stats.
You're right that both skill names are kinda bad. I phoned both of them in, but in different ways. I'll probably rename the skills while keeping the states as "X usable" for reasons of clarity. If the gameplay-y term was good enough in Japanese, then it's good enough in English.

Case Battering Pile Detonation
Renaming the skill is a good idea, but I don't know about Bunker Buster in specific. Apparently that's a real type of munition which has a different name in Japanese. But still, this skill was quite the pickle and I was never really satisfied with Battering Pile Detonation. It was mostly a result of the crutch of literalism.

Originally the skill was 破城杭爆裂 [hajyoukou bakuretsu] which can be parsed as 破城杭 [hajyoukou] + 爆裂 [bakuretsu]. The first word would appear to be a twist on 破城槌 [hajyoutsui] 'battering ram' with the ram part 槌 (here [tsui], 'mallet') switched for 杭 (here [kou] 'stake, pile'). The second word bakuretsu is a simple 'exploding'.

As the skill's only usable after Pile Bunker, I chose 'pile' and went with battering pile in an attempt to mimic this battering ram twist, but it's really clumsy. And on second thoughts, it's probably just the attempted kanji spelling of the classic scifi pile bunker weapon. In both naming and gameplay implementation, it's clearly supposed to evoke the idea of driving in the pile bunker and then blowing it up while it's in there.

I think I'll cut my losses with the battering ram twist and rename the skill to to Pile Detonation.

Case Tall Wave and Next Tall Wave
These also fell prey to literalism. Outside of a metaphorical sense, 高波 [takanami] just means...tall wave(s). Typically ones caused by weather conditions (atmospheric pressure & typhoons). Not much to do with tides, except in the sense that a storm surge can apparently be called a storm tide. And that's when these sorts of waves appear.

I think I'll rename the skills to something like Oncoming Storm and Storm. It has the advantage of making the contrast with the skill Lull more apparent (the lull in this skill specifically refers to a lull in the seas, a calm sea) which is almost completely lost in the current skill name. The change neatly compensates for the loss caused by the polysemy of the word "lull", while the power of metonymy* carries the rest with storm wave. Fantastic. Flipping the perspective from attack -> subsequent attack to earlier attack -> attack is functionally largely the same but reads more naturally in English.

*= i know it's not metonymy, i just got excited that i got to use "polysemy" so i threw in an ill-fitting fancy word to sound cool

Last edited:

ShinVeritas

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
"Bunker Buster" being a reference to real-world ordinance was intentional, although I do agree that with the origin of "Pile Bunker", something like "Pile Denotation" would be a more accurate translation. I swear I've played a video game in the past where a pile bunker weapon was available, and the follow-up explosive attack was named "Bunker Buster", hence the suggestion.

After doing some more research, I've come to the conclusion that Lestea's skills (specifically, 凪, 高波, and 次ぎ高波) aren't necessarily named for atmospheric or tidal state. 高潮 or takashio is the Japanese term commonly used for both a "high tide" and a "storm surge", so 高波/takanami literally translates to "high wave" and has nothing to do with the forces that cause said wave. Thus, the skill names as a whole are probably talking about state of mind and/or literal state of motion using the analogy of an ocean, which fits better with the whole "high wave" skill chain, as it's referencing Lestea's continued motion from skill to skill. Thus, I believe "Wave" and "Surge" may be "good enough" translations. Whatever you decide to go with, I do think the subtle nuance of attack into follow-up should be kept rather than inverted (preparation into attack) for any sake of English readability.

On a side note, it'd be cool if Lestea's second skill enabled itself. Would have been a neat touch.

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
I was planning on waiting until I had at least two new things before reporting, but I've been going through the game pretty slowly due to various things, so I'll just drop this one because it's already been a bit since I caught it:
ErrorShouldnotHavePlus.png
It's the description of the Body Galvanization Brandskill. It says that it ovewrites DEF-UP+ and MDF-UP+, but I think it should be just DEF-UP and MDF-UP, since they are a level lower than what the skill gets you.
Hope that helps.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
I was planning on waiting until I had at least two new things before reporting, but I've been going through the game pretty slowly due to various things, so I'll just drop this one because it's already been a bit since I caught it:
View attachment 34858
It's the description of the Body Galvanization Brandskill. It says that it ovewrites DEF-UP+ and MDF-UP+, but I think it should be just DEF-UP and MDF-UP, since they are a level lower than what the skill gets you.
Hope that helps.
Yep, the plus strayed in there. Thanks!

After doing some more research, I've come to the conclusion that Lestea's skills (specifically, 凪, 高波, and 次ぎ高波) aren't necessarily named for atmospheric or tidal state. 高潮 or takashio is the Japanese term commonly used for both a "high tide" and a "storm surge", so 高波/takanami literally translates to "high wave" and has nothing to do with the forces that cause said wave. Thus, the skill names as a whole are probably talking about state of mind and/or literal state of motion using the analogy of an ocean, which fits better with the whole "high wave" skill chain, as it's referencing Lestea's continued motion from skill to skill. Thus, I believe "Wave" and "Surge" may be "good enough" translations. Whatever you decide to go with, I do think the subtle nuance of attack into follow-up should be kept rather than inverted (preparation into attack) for any sake of English readability.
I didn't mean to imply takanami comes from an atmospheric condition, but that in usage it typically refers to wind/typhoon/storm-raised tall waves. (Probably in contrast to earthquake-caused tsunamis. but don't quote me on this claim, i pulled it out of my ass) And I do agree that the skill name is to be taken as a metaphor and not a literal lull/wave in an ocean. I felt "storm" would be appropriate because it's more strongly associated with the state of a sea (metaphorical or not), so it clarifies the intention of Lull--as is, the skill name can be easily taken as a verb as in the sense of lulling someone into a false sense of security. Which is a pretty cool second interpretation, but not necessarily a wanted one.

Nevertheless, after thinking about it a little more, I noticed that I got a little tunnel visioned on making the lull/takanami/tsugi-takanami skill work well together. "Oncoming storm" and "storm" don't really fit Lestea's character or her style of fighting. (I'm not convinced continued motion is the best way to describe battou/iaijutsu, in my mind they're characterized more by wariness and sort of...controlled moments of outburst? But that discussion's really besides the point)

Wave and Surge would be a decent pair, except that I'm three games deep into using "Surge" exclusively for the mysterious 波動 [hadou] element/energy/whatever you want to call it, so that's not going to happen. I've been thinking about Ripple and Billow. There's a certain logical growth there, but a ripple might be too dang small. Maybe just Wave and Billow. Or Ensuing Wave? I'll keep thinking about it.

phenir

Lurker
Reputation score
In the material locations option for the book beside your bed, there is a material for Alzhett listed as carved bark but the actual material found on location is called etched bark.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Thank you for the bug reports. It's been some weeks and they've trickled down. So here's the more-or-less final patch:

The patch contains mostly miscellaneous typo fixes like: missing words, duplicate words, inconsistent terminology like having a dash in Mana milking when previous entries used none, Rabi calling Subordinate Island "Obeyance Island", etc.
Here are the notable changes:
  • 1.0.3a: I forgot to fix Body Galvanization and the other thing
  • The "dragonfly" monster type is now "odonate" monster type. I've posted the reasoning in my awake thread
  • Emela's brandskill "Battering Pile Detonation" is now just "Pile Detonation", and Lestea's brandskills "Tall Wave" and "Next Tall Wave" are now "Wave" and "Billow" respectively. There's some discussion about this above, but it boils down to the original names not really doing what they were supposed to, so they've been prettied up.
  • I've crammed the length increase (3 turns) into the description of the skill Unveil Wounds
  • Aeon's line in postgame that mentioned "the devil of Chuerma" taking the Errastone from him was definitely wrong in the context of new information, so it's changed to "the Chuerma devils" taking it from him, which might be right. But in all likelihood I'll still have to fucking fix this shit when there's any more details than "there's at least three Chuerma(s)"
Now I've got an essay due tomorrow, and then I'll start working on ASYLUM. I might post updates about it or I might not, idk.

Csstoker

Reputation score
Somewhere, a butterfly flaps its wings; elsewhere, a translation is born. Stipendum peccati mors est.

Please take game discussion, gameplay help questions, and similar to the SEQUEL colony thread in the games section (mind the spoilers)
You can buy

Some things to note:
  • Crummy legacy translations have been tidied up (mostly in recycled item/monster lore) and some terminology changes have been made. If you're interested in the reasons for any given change, ask and I can explain them.
  • Still, I have yet to take my head out of my ass and just go for Snake-Woman -> Lamia for a highly functional and less-clumsy translation.
  • I skirt closer to the translation sun; I could almost touch it now.
  • I've brushed the dust off my . The main purpose is so that there's a single page that can be easily checked for patch updates. The lesser purpose is that I hope it lowers the entry barrier for sending me bug reports.

What's next?
  • First, I will take some time to consolidate my cultivation base make functional and more accessible notes. Right now, half the translation decisions I've made live inside my head, while the other half are scattered over five randomly formatted text files and an excel spreadsheet. I had to have them all open while translating the monster lore. It's only going to get more unsustainable, so I need to take care of it.
  • When that's done, I'll update awake and blight for what I will call the final time, but which the future will imminently prove false. The cycle never ends.
  • Then it's time to tackle ASYLUM. Don't expect it to happen as fast as colony did. I can't see it being done this year.

Latest patch version (1.0.3a):
old versions:

This patch is for the Japanese game version 2.0.2, which is the latest one. Compatibility with earlier game versions and versions of the game in other languages is not guaranteed. Save games between versions of the translation patch are compatible.
Please use the guide found in the "How to Apply a Partial" thread to install the patch to your copy of the game.
Please make liberal use of spoiler tags if you have bug reports that are plot-adjacent or translation questions about similarly plot-sensitive stuff.
I love you man

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
Here I am again, and I found two more small things to report, both of them related to the monster log.
ErrorMissingTheir.png
First in the Grippers entry, I believe there should be a "their", thus making the phrase "restrain their movements".
ErrorExtraBe.png
And in the Master Frog entry, the last line has an extraneous "be", it should be "challenging them to interpersonal combat".
Edit: And a bit after having posted, I find another thing to point out.
ErrorTwoBes.png
Again there is an extraneous "be", this time because it was duplicated.

Edit 2: Another edit, since I didn't want to doublepost.
ErrorShouldbeSP.png
Here in the +1 version of the rags, it claims to increase MP when it should be SP.

Last edited:

BillyJones

Reputation score
Offtopic Discussion - Game discussion in Translation section
Thank you very much for the translation. It is just as good as the previous two games (I really liked both your translation and the games themselves).

EDIT: Ignore the questions i just saw that there was another ulmf post for questions for the game so I posted there.

I also have a few questions about the game because i'm kinda confused and i was hoping someone could help (it is kind of spoilery so don't read it if you haven't played the game).

- A bit after the start of the game dire prompts a conversation about his and fake-rabi's connection and there is a choice for if you knew about it already but i have no recollection of this in any of the other games at all (was there another game other then blight and awake or was there a manga or something that had extra story details maybe). Could you have been told about it in the Aurum company room with the maids blocking both entrances in the first game (and if so, how do you enter that room because i was never able to)?.

- How do i enter the bottom right room of the second floor in the base. I am assuming that it is supposed to be fagolta's room as i cant think of anyone else but i have finished the game and all of the side-quests but the room hasn't been unlocked yet.

- In the "special" section of the journey log what is the second last line supposed to be (I am assuming it is supposed to be the affection for the person who is supposed to stay in the bottom right room).

- How do i get all the underwear for the girls because i have only managed to get Rabi and Fake-Rabi's so far.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Hello, thread. I'm here with a very special announcement. I'm developing a new game:

exciting joke.png

In this game you take your list of typos, inconsistencies, confusing sentences and whatever for SEQUEL colony and let me know.

As always, you can post in this thread, PM me, leave a comment or use the contact form there. I don't know how to make this any easier.

Once again the reason is that I'm planning an update to the colony patch, and it's no trouble at all to include fixes for miscellaneous typos or weird phrasing. I tried to avoid needing to do this by playing ASYLUM before finishing colony's patch, but failed at the finish line and let a single nasty terminological clash in colony.

Here's a list of issues in 1.0.3 that I'm already aware of:
  • In the bonus dungeon of SEQUEL colony, a certain familiar boss has an attack/buff which I translated as "Calamity Moon". In ASYLUM, I am using "calamity" as specialized terminology, so this creates an unwanted connection where there should be none. The attack will be renamed. (Eagle-eyed players may remember there's a "Calamity Blade of Storms" in blight, which has the same issue of unwanted connections. This may be fixed if I can convince myself to post yet another final patch for blight. But I want to let go!!)
  • The tutorial book item text is largely crap and hard to read because of poor sentence structuring.
  • The Guardian tutorial text was copied from blight and is mildly inaccurate (says 'outside of town' when there is no town)
  • The use messages for enemy skills 681 ([Enemy]'s Ring of Blight!) and 670 ([Enemy]'s Burning Flood!) were copied over from a previous game, but they were in fact changed in colony to be different skills. The use messages should say ([Enemy]'s Ring of Ghost!) and ([Enemy]'s Carbonize!) respectively. Maybe "ghosts", I need to check the animation.
  • The use messages for enemy skills 819 ([Enemy] decide to try her best.) and 846 ([Enemy] throws kunais!) have small typos. The s is missing from decides and the Japanese loanword kunai sounds weird with a marked plural form.
  • On the island during the postgame, the sentence "...What's the reason the Veils go abroad?" should be asking for a reason why ninjas go abroad, not why Veils do so. (Even though they're ninjas.)

Unfortunately, the recent ci-en demo for kludge did not shed any light on Aeon's ambiguity with regards to (mild SEQUEL colony postgame spoilers) (the/a) Errastone(s) or the devil situation. It's still a roll of the dice whether there's many devils who took the only Errastone that exists, or if there's a single devil who took all of multiple Errastones. So that part won't be clarified. If it turns out an important plot point in kludge proper, I'll have to update this patch again in 9 months or so. Glee!

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
The patch has been updated. Thank you for choosing sub-par industries. Sponsored by the concept of 𝒽𝓎𝑔𝒾𝑒𝓃𝑒. You know what they say: multiple handwashes a day keeps the plague away.

Changelog:
  • The penultimate boss of the bonus dungeon had her attack “Calamity Moon” and corresponding statuses renamed to “Baleful Moon” to avoid unwanted terminological conflict. This is the main culprit behind making a new version of the patch.
  • In anticipation for SEQUEL kludge, a small terminological adjustment was made to the descriptions of two postgame machine monsters. Instead of referring to them as “puppets”, they are now referred to as “androids”. This is the secondary culprit, although I could foresee verbally backflipping my way out of this conundrum in kludge if I had to.
  • The following enemy lore had notable fixes: Night Farmer, whose description I copied from blight but failed to notice the last line was different, and Veil, whose description’s last line was simply wrong. I don’t have an excuse for that one.

• Slightly adjusted some inaccurate tutorial text that was copied over from earlier SEQUEL games without noticing they were changed a little
  • In the conversation about Veils, Auris has been corrected to ask about the reason ninjas go abroad, and not Veils in specific.
  • I stole a better translation for 見直した from the newest Yakuza game and replaced the awkward “your opinion of me improved?” in one of the conversations with Rabi
  • (1.0.4b) the descriptions of skills Concentration I and Concentration II now correctly state they increase TP by 2 and 3 each turn respectively

• Enemy skills 618 and 670 were called “Ring of Blight” and “Burning Flood” when they should have been called “Ring of Ghost” and “Carbonize” respectively. I should pay more attention when copypasting these things.
  • The item War God’s Bracelet accidentally had a line from the bangle series of equipment in its extended description instead of its own. You missed nothing, as it was basically restating the simple description.
  • Miscellaneous typo fixes in enemy skills 846 and 819; one of Olivia’s H-scenes (thanks for reporting this); and in the following enemy lore: Gripspider, Belr Chimaera, Woolyman, Coldon, Snowtrail, Igjum, Merorin Dog, Interceptor, Phenomiano.

IntrepidMoon

Reputation score
Seeing as sub-par put out a finalized version for Awake, I figured I should mention something about Colony that I noticed before he does one for it.

Auris's Intercept (Skill 57) appears to have two, maybe three, things wrong with its description.
"For this turn, the user takes the HP damage allies suffer
from attacks instead. Critical hits ignore the effect."

For reference, the original description,
"使用したターンの間、HPが減少した味方への攻撃を代わりに受ける。
必中攻撃はこの効果を無視する。"

First, for "Critical hits ignore the effect," the original term used was 必中攻撃, not 会心 (the term used for critical in BattlerBase); the former of which, I think, sub-par translated as "sure-hit" in other instances.
This would make sense, since Intercept is essentially just the substitute flag feature, which certain hit/sure hit attacks ignore.
Second, while I don't understand Japanese, using Google Translate for the short description gives reference to "allies with reduced HP" for those allies which get protected, which is omitted from the translated description. To support this, under the script heading "身代わり条件変更", Hakika has a scriptlet which modified the substitution flag to apply when "target.hp < target.mhp && (!item || !item.certain?)", which would need to read "target.hp =< target.mhp" in order to always function for all allies.
Finally, while not a translation issue per se, the RPG Maker substitute flag works on attacks that don't do HP damage at all, making the reference to HP damage inaccurate.

If I could make a recommendation, I would suggest,
"For this turn, the user takes any attacks allies at less than
full HP would take. Sure-hit attacks ignore this effect."

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Huh. I don't think I used the skill a single time, so I didn't ever notice it wasn't acting as described (so I never took a second look at it). I'll fix it.