What's new

In today's news...

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

to...less....time....to....see...what news there is!!!
ugh, my news is. got to work a long-ass day, time for a lot of pain in the ass, no pun intended. got to sit on a wheelchair all day
well, this is not really something for the thread i guess
but why no put it down
my life
all
nothing
and
nothing

yay me
Sorry to hear that you got to sit in a wheelchair. With that said, you've got access to the Internet, same as the rest of us. Would it have been SO hard to look up an interesting piece of news, link the article, and write ten words about it? Or to take sixty seconds and read one of the shorter posts, then comment on it? Your utter lack of regard has earned you a negrep, and I was more than happy to give you one. Your involvement here could not be more of a disappointment. Please never post in this thread again.

In other news... yeah, is proving to be pretty freaking bad for a lot of people on the East Coast. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones--New England seems to be in decent shape, and I've got no need to drive anywhere for the weekend.

Warning: The link is a CNN article with embedded video.

Last edited:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

A few days old news, but there are yet more bad diseases going around in the world

This time, the Zika virus, in South America
May potentially spread to the US

And if you need to know what it is,

Zika virus is spread to people through mosquito bites. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease are fever, rash, joint pain, and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon.
The main thing with it, however, is that it causes birth defects and other issues in pregnant women. Said birth defects include Microcephaly, which is basically when the brain stops developing in the kid

It's quite nasty stuff. This has been going on for a while though, and it's getting plenty of attention so I'd expect the spread to be somewhat contained

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

On the other hand, there was a story earlier today that there's a new mutant strain of Zika that jumped to a breed of mosquito that's much more common. Also Olympics this year in Zika central. Plenty of chances for it to get worse before it gets better.

Changer

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Is it really a good idea to hold the Olympics in the middle of an outbreak area?

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Well, while holding it in Brazil is a bad idea for a few reasons, in this case at least it's important to keep in mind that such things are decided years, if note *decades* in advance, so the planners couldn't have foreseen Zika cropping up right now.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I doubt if the olympic committee really cares about the zika outbreak. considering the place they're holding the water events is so polluted the swimmers will be growing extra arms and legs after they get done.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

But the IOC doesn't have to swim in that water personally. However, mosquitoes are experts are recognizing fellow bloodsuckers and will likely head straight for them to infect ;)

Reactions: XSI

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

There're about a million reasons not to host it in Brazil, and just about all of them be reason enough alone by themselves.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

That would be nice but I doubt the IOC will show up, too dangerous for them, besides do we really want to subject the mosquitoes to subhuman blood.

There might be a million reasons to not hold it in Brazil but the IOC happened to find a couple million untraceable reasons to overlook em.

Smokefish

Needs to go commit sudoku
RP Moderator
Reputation score

MY SHITPOSTING SENSES TINGLED AND THEN I SAW SOMETHING ABOUT BRAZIL

There're about a million reasons not to host it in Brazil, and just about all of them be reason enough alone by themselves.
IS ONE OF THEM?

FISH OUT.

ZenReningard

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

there has been an accident here, not far from us. a helicopter landed in front of our house to get a doctor, you dont see that every day

ZenReningard

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Sorry to hear that you got to sit in a wheelchair. With that said, you've got access to the Internet, same as the rest of us. Would it have been SO hard to look up an interesting piece of news, link the article, and write ten words about it? Or to take sixty seconds and read one of the shorter posts, then comment on it? Your utter lack of regard has earned you a negrep, and I was more than happy to give you one. Your involvement here could not be more of a disappointment. Please never post in this thread again.

In other news... yeah, is proving to be pretty freaking bad for a lot of people on the East Coast. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones--New England seems to be in decent shape, and I've got no need to drive anywhere for the weekend.

Warning: The link is a CNN article with embedded video.
My ass is just fine. im used to the pain by now. but 4 hours of sitting still. no way i can hold that. but thanks though. ^^

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

MY SHITPOSTING SENSES TINGLED AND THEN I SAW SOMETHING ABOUT BRAZIL

IS ONE OF THEM?

FISH OUT.
Ironically it sounds like mosquitoes

Wait that probably isn't irony

Eh fuck it

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

For everyone trying to avoid windows 10

Windows will automatically proceed to install windows 10 if you have 7 or 8, starting today
You don't get a say in the matter unless you block it right now and prevent it

Also the usual slew of news, nothing really new here. Kinda got a lot of the same news agency in here, but at this point I can't really be bothered to look for other sources
German news literally controlled by their government

Fighting in Syria continues

(ISIS losing)

The US has some real dodgy election stuff going on, banana republic style

Somehow, Hillary won all the coinflips and gets all the delegates, even if that Sanders fellow got 50% of the votes too

And Microsoft(Who conveniently backs one of the participants with funding) was involved with the voting and vote counting of the republicans

Oh gee, looks like the person backed by the guy who counts the votes won. This does not seem suspicious at all, does it?

And then Europe is full of small things on the migrants, it just keeps happening

One case out of many where concerned citizens are told by the elites to just shut up and not question things
There is a massive amount of stuff on this out there, but it's pretty much all the same everywhere, so no real point in posting even more

Last edited:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

There has to be some sort of final confirmation about windows 10 installing, otherwise we're going to wake up tomorrow with Western Civilization collapsed as the vast majority of businesses and public sector computers crash.

Also for the record X, breitbart is kind of a propaganda site.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Kind of, but still not as bad as some other sites people in general use for their actual news

That said, guy I know works a computer store. He already had a costumer bring in a computer because Windows 10 partially wiped his hard drive while attempting to update
Several important files unrecoverable, but the hard drive was saved

I'm thinking that any business or public sector with any sort of competent system management have blocked the updates by default and only update one workstation, then rolling it out on their own network once it's been adequately tested for software compatibility issues
So you won't be seeing any chaos there
Except maybe with the incompetent ones, but they're incompetent and thus used to chaos anyway

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I'm thinking that any business or public sector with any sort of competent system management have blocked the updates by default and only update one workstation, then rolling it out on their own network once it's been adequately tested for software compatibility issues
So you won't be seeing any chaos there
Except maybe with the incompetent ones, but they're incompetent and thus used to chaos anyway
This isn't a knock against you, but I think you vastly overestimate the ability and competency of mainstream IT. That said, it's not IT's fault either, but corporate for not giving IT enough funding to do the things they need to. My dad is the *entirety* of the IT department for one local company, and while he knows how to stop the update in question he's way too busy making sure the server room doesn't burn down to go and check the 100s of work stations they have.

And on brietbart again, you can continue to post links if you want, I'm not one to tell people what to do, just saying it's unlikely I'll take things posted from there seriously, and I urge others to conduct their own independent reviews of such information.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

IT's quality is directly dependent on them actually getting a budget, and of course having management actually listen to the IT guy instead of to whatever salesman is trying to sell something new(Especially if the management doesnt know stuff and the salesman has a lot of buzzwords)
My brother had that
Salesman comes over, convinces management to buy 'cloud based management and time allocation software', and they ignore the IT guy telling them that they're not really selling anything of value. Within a month they were back to using the old systems

And yeah, always try to do your own research if possible, it's mostly just articles as "An event happened, you can look at what these guys are saying, but you can google it too"

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

There has to be some sort of final confirmation about windows 10 installing, otherwise we're going to wake up tomorrow with Western Civilization collapsed as the vast majority of businesses and public sector computers crash.

Also for the record X, breitbart is kind of a propaganda site.
Enterprise editions of win7/8 do not auto upgrade, enterprise editions of Win10 also defer software updates for something like 24 months.

Managing updates in a windows enterprise environment is also piss easy relatively if you're willing to run the Windows Server Update Service on your servers (and invest the man hours to maintain that system (you need to frequently run the maintenance tasks to clean it up... otherwise it clogs up the windows database and the server runs dogshit slow)

Last edited:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Enterprise editions of win7/8 do not auto upgrade, enterprise editions of Win10 also defer software updates for something like 24 months.

Managing updates in a windows enterprise environment is also piss easy relatively if you're willing to run the Windows Server Update Service on your servers (and invest the man hours to maintain that system (you need to frequently run the maintenance tasks to clean it up... otherwise it clogs up the windows database and the server runs dogshit slow)
Yeah, as I figured, there's no way they'd push that automatically in the business environment. Though that said, I still know a lot of businesses to don't get the enterprise edition because they're cheap bastards. At the same time, that's probably offset by the number of businesses using pirated copies. Kids these days *sigh*.

(I say this as I'm sitting here trying to pull XCOM 2 down through steam on my shitty 300 kbps* download speed. America, folks!)

*On a good day and not counting the fact that I've had two complete outages in the past 72 hours.