What's new

Introduction Thread

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Introduction Thread

Come here, lemme give you a tour, want some free candy?

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hah. I took too long to notice that.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I dun get why people are so suspicious of lewd girls online. True, sometimes you got guys impersonating girls, but then again; Some of my wildest fans are girls, only thing that changes, really is less 'omfg moar hentai cgs please' and more 'I wonder how the story would go if X happened to the halpless heroine!', 's literally the only difference. Obviously this forum predominantly carters to male interests, but I dare you to go to some slash fiction sites.
If it's too good to be true then it tends to be, has always been my take on it.

Sure there are females that use the internet, and yeah they can be just as perverted as males, but without some form of proof I'd not readily ignore my policy. At the same time I'm not going to run around saying : "You have a penis, you're not a girl!"

Oh and as for the metric vs imperial foolishness earlier I missed:

Think about how large the U.S. is, imagine the workload and costs that converting roadsigns ALONE would create. It's simply not feasible. Then imagine all the building plans that would need to be updated/converted. On top of that there are utility plans that would as well.

Lastly think of all the people that would have to re-learn measuring. Alot of the work I do requires me to estimate distances by eye, and I'd never be able to do that in metric.

So before you say: "Stubborn muricans" give a thought to the logistics of the task.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Building plans? Updated? Before they're due for an upgrade or being sold? Good one, had me going for a sec- wait, you're serious aren't you o_o

Joking aside, I'll admit imperial has advantages in small distances - I've no idea how tall anyone is in centimetres, but feet is easy. And speed limits in miles tend to be higher, unfairly :(. If you phased it all out slowly though, think could be manageable regarding expenses - relearning measurements would be a major issue, admittedly.

Also, I see one introduction in last 16 posts, more Pervy candy & yuri needed please~

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So before you say: "Stubborn muricans" give a thought to the logistics of the task.
WHAAAAT? Are you saying.. ok
ok hold on

are you saying that.. changing things.. is.. work?

As opposed to not doing anything which isn't work? Goddamn, never would've thought.

The roadsigns: Considering your presidents platform, theres worse things to spent money on.
Building plans.. the same, this is the same argument, you seem to think that a system change like this has to be abrupt, when it could be gradual over (a) decade(s). Systems coexist, as they already do anyway for everyone doing anything foreign/science related. New floorplans are all done in metric, old are updated as necessary, infact, same for road-signs, as soon as you do some well needed infrastructure upgrades and constructions, you update the roadsigns, keeping the old until the young generation grows old and only a few people even get what these old people talking about foots in measurments even mean. Thats how change like this is implemented.

The relearning: Well, yes, but after one generation re-learned future generations would have to learn less. Also, this is assuming you don't already know and apply the metric system, in which case theres literally no impact for the worse.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Building plans? Updated? Before they're due for an upgrade or being sold? Good one, had me going for a sec- wait, you're serious aren't you o_o
A number of reasons, for instance we tax properties based on estimated value, the size and quality of improvements heavily factors into this.

Joking aside, I'll admit imperial has advantages in small distances - I've no idea how tall anyone is in centimetres, but feet is easy. And speed limits in miles tend to be higher, unfairly :(. If you phased it all out slowly though, think could be manageable regarding expenses - relearning measurements would be a major issue, admittedly.
It would be nice if there were a measurement between full meters and centi. I was never taught one if there is.

WHAAAAT? Are you saying.. ok
ok hold on

are you saying that.. changing things.. is.. work?

As opposed to not doing anything which isn't work? Goddamn, never would've thought.
Why yes am I! Gold star for you in reading comprehension!

But did you pick up on the sub-text?

Outside of manufacturing, packaging and scientific applications (where we already use the metric system btw) the cost/benefit makes the change not worth-while? Or wait... what was the benefit again? Right, there isn't one. Please share with the class if you can think of a benefit!

Given that the transportation infrastructure is already in poor condition in many places, as for one reason or another the money just isn't there to maintain it properly, what sense would it make to spend even more money that we don't have on a superfluous task?

As for the president, well ya got me there, I don't know shit about what he's doing. But I imagine another 20 years of jackasses filling the office and capital hill will get that the citizens of this country aren't happy with the game they're playing. Though honestly, I think we need to start lynching senators.

On the idea of a gradual change, think about it, you're saddling a generation or two with having to learn BOTH systems, I wouldn't want that put on me. To the point that I wouldn't bother learning the one that I didn't apply in my everyday life.

A kind of funny note: Engineers just can't stand that construction workers don't use the metric system, so they've started using decimals in their Imperial measurements e.g. 9.2 feet. Nobody on the construction crew knows how to measure .2 feet or convert it on the fly, so the project ends up that tiny amount off that drives the engineer nuts XD

Last edited:

Mr NunSense

Lesbian Admirer
Reputation score

It would be nice if there were a measurement between full meters and centi. I was never taught one if there is.
I know of one and its called (writen in polish) "decymetr" and its exactly 0.1 metr = 10 centymetrów

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

<- for english name if anyone cares.

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

Shut up, everyone. This thread is for introductions.

Take your meme-posts to the not-intended-for rep thread, and personal arguments elsewhere - preferably to the PM channel.
Aww yeah, you definitely showed them, Stuffie!

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

If it's too good to be true then it tends to be, has always been my take on it.

Sure there are females that use the internet, and yeah they can be just as perverted as males, but without some form of proof I'd not readily ignore my policy. At the same time I'm not going to run around saying : "You have a penis, you're not a girl!"

Oh and as for the metric vs imperial foolishness earlier I missed:

Think about how large the U.S. is, imagine the workload and costs that converting roadsigns ALONE would create. It's simply not feasible. Then imagine all the building plans that would need to be updated/converted. On top of that there are utility plans that would as well.

Lastly think of all the people that would have to re-learn measuring. Alot of the work I do requires me to estimate distances by eye, and I'd never be able to do that in metric.

It isn't as if those signs don't have to be replaced(or at least repainted) periodically ANYWAY. Trying to convert overnight would be infeasible, but no-one says you have to do it like that. Obviously there would be a(rather long, I suspect) period of adjustment during which the two systems would coexist.

Also consider the following: Every OTHER country has managed to convert to metric at one point or another during the past two centuries, so claiming that it's "not feasible" is quite silly.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Decimetres. 8.7 Decimeters are 0,87 meters. Even the name is rather obvious deci for tenth meter for.. a meter. Also you can say 87 Centimetres which is 87% of a metre, or you can say 870 millimetres, without having to calculate for a while how many inches are in a mile. While at it, lets get rid of Fahrenheit, Pounds and alcohol 'proof' and other such things in one swoop as well.

Please share with the class if you can think of a benefit!

Engineers just can't stand that construction workers don't use the metric system, so they've started using decimals in their Imperial measurements e.g. 9.2 feet. Nobody on the construction crew knows how to measure .2 feet or convert it on the fly, so the project ends up that tiny amount off that drives the engineer nuts XD
I don't need to, you provide an example yourself, even if you try to ridicule it. Metric system is so prevalent and efficent engineers rather risk the calculation being off than go with the inadequate and inacurate other system.

On the idea of a gradual change, think about it, you're saddling a generation or two with having to learn BOTH systems, I wouldn't want that put on me. To the point that I wouldn't bother learning the one that I didn't apply in my everyday life.
Seriously, an argument from lazyness?
Basically what you are saying here is as soon as it is in your every day life you'll learn metric, infact, only reason you aren't using metric is that no one has started forcefully implementing it yet.. so do you have any striking arguments or can we leave this topic back to introductions?

Last edited:

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

Let's welcome newcomers to the forums, as this thread should!

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

can we leave this topic back to introductions?
We had that chance already. But you decided to ruin it.

Besides, this is what you wanted to begin with. It's not like you've been trying to start me going for the past week or anything. SO HERE WE GO KIDDOS! BE SURE TO THANK PERVY!

Decimetres. 8.7 Decimeters are 0,87 meters. Even the name is rather obvious deci for tenth meter for.. a meter. Also you can say 87 Centimetres which is 87% of a metre, or you can say 870 millimetres, without having to calculate for a while how many inches are in a mile.
Why isn't decimeter used more commonly? It makes far more sense to express height in decimeters than centimeters as 13.5dm compared to 135cm. Perhaps I'm asking the wrong person though, as you'd count the inches in a mile :confused:

I don't need to, you provide an example yourself, even if you try to ridicule it. Metric system is so prevalent and efficent engineers rather risk the calculation being off than go with the inadequate and inacurate other system.
Read better, they're not using the metric system. They're applying the rule of 10's to the imperial system. That just doesn't work given no imperial rulers have tenths marked out they have halves, quarters, eighths and sixteenths.

Also protip: the postbox has auto-spellcheck, those words with red lines under them? Not spelt properly. Though perhaps your subconscious was at work as you used the wrong adjectives.

Seriously, an argument from lazyness?
Basically what you are saying here is as soon as it is in your every day life you'll learn metric, infact, only reason you aren't using metric is that no one has started forcefully implementing it yet.. so do you have any striking arguments
Sure we'll ignore the other supporting arguments an go with laziness.

Though you've missed the mark, I wouldn't learn metric out of laziness, had it been taught at the same time as imperial.

And nobody's going to start forcing shit because as I stated in the point you decided to ignore, there's no profit in it.

It isn't as if those signs don't have to be replaced(or at least repainted) periodically ANYWAY. Trying to convert overnight would be infeasible, but no-one says you have to do it like that. Obviously there would be a(rather long, I suspect) period of adjustment during which the two systems would coexist.

Also consider the following: Every OTHER country has managed to convert to metric at one point or another during the past two centuries, so claiming that it's "not feasible" is quite silly.
There are a number of OTHER countries that still use the imperial system though, yes the majority have converted to metric.

And you're correct it's quite feasible, I really should've tackled this from a different angle from the start, there's just no benefit to the conversion. Outside of appeasing a few uptight engineers, and really just like me they like to bitch about things so they'd find something else to bitch about soon after. So spend a bunch of money and inconvenience our citizens to... what?

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Why isn't decimeter used more commonly? It makes far more sense to express height in decimeters than centimeters as 13.5dm compared to 135cm. Perhaps I'm asking the wrong person though, as you'd count the inches in a mile :confused:
Why would you use decimals to express something when there's no need to? That's an extra character you need to type for... no reason, really. cm is just the most convenient unit for expressing a person's height since it's about the accuracy you want anyway. Mostly, though, it's just convention.

There are a number of OTHER countries that still use the imperial system though, yes the majority have converted to metric.

And you're correct it's quite feasible, I really should've tackled this from a different angle from the start, there's just no benefit to the conversion. Outside of appeasing a few uptight engineers, and really just like me they like to bitch about things so they'd find something else to bitch about soon after. So spend a bunch of money and inconvenience our citizens to... what?
No, there's exactly ONE other country that primarily uses the imperial system.

And there is a benefit. For starters, you avoid incidents like And sure, it inconveniences people... in the short term. In the long run, though, using a single standardized system is more convenient for everyone.

arpaschad

Demon Girl
Reputation score

welcome to the new members...please don't step on the bullshit, remember to not take things too seriously, and guard your ears from an ear fucking cult lurking somewhere here...

and offer your firstborn child to the god emperor of mankind...

or just leave a glass of milk and cookies for him...