Journeys (Unknown Squid)

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Journeys (Unknown Squid)

Maya: HP = 62, PP = 65, EP = 61/113, Status = Fine, Aspect of Spirit X = 6 (+24 Dodge, +24 Resistance, and +18 Perception), Psychic Shield X = 3 (+9 AV, +9 Grapple) Upkeep = 0

???: Fine, AoS X = 9 +Res+Dodge+Armor

"Not really... Enemies more like," Axris replied bemusedly, though then she seemed confused by Maya's follow up question. "What... Kind of question is that?" she asked in turn, pointedly not answering the half daemon's question while her expression once more became a blank mask.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Maya sighs a short and somewhat frustrated seeming sigh at the uncertain response to her follow up question, though if Axris had enough empathy to tell, it was notably far more inward than at the response itself. "A silly question, I guess. Perhaps I should mind my own business." Maya replies, rolling her eyes at herself. Maya didn't at all expect that to have satisfied or cleared the pale womans confusion. She'd need to say something else at least.

Except she'd already chatted long enough here. It had been... interesting, perhaps, but the whole conversation had been uncomfortable for Maya. And the curiosity that had driven it on had only continually reinforced her initial thoughts, yet made acting on her intentions gradually more awkward in it's own way. And there was still a lot Maya didn't understand about Axris, but... she understood enough. What mattered was the image of home Maya had swirling in her mind, and keeping this pale wolf away from it. Risks had to be taken.

Looking back to Axris, "Ok. It's like this... No offence, but I don't think we can be friends. It's been nice talking but I should probably get going." Maya says, continuing whilst crossing her arms over again and lowering her head a little eyes closed, "Before I leave though -" her sentence is suddenly cut off by a sharp and fiercely forceful psychic lash and the surge of energy that accompanied it. Maya opening her eyes to reveal a distant looking stare as she focuses on places beyond eyesight.

'- I need you to disappear.'

Casting Mind Worm as a mind wipe, at X = 19, for 23ep cost and a res check DC of 95. With base Potent Spirit bonus of +8, for a DC of 103. (95+8=103)

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Maya: HP = 62, PP = 65, EP = 61/113, Status = Fine, Aspect of Spirit X = 6 (+24 Dodge, +24 Resistance, and +18 Perception), Psychic Shield X = 3 (+9 AV, +9 Grapple) Upkeep = 0

Rolls
Dispel check via Devour Magic
Resistance: 11 + 41 + 24 + 8 = 84 vs 83 = 7 + 76, Maya wins.
Then the check to see if Maya erases the target's mind.
Resistance: 15 + 83 = 98 vs DC 103, they have their mind erased.

Axris actually seemed slightly taken aback by Maya's sudden announcement, and for a few seconds didn't seem to have anything to say in response. The daemonblooded girl could feel the tension in the room suddenly spike, however, and as she tried to send her spike of psychic energy meant to erase the strange woman's mind she found a metaphysical glove there to catch. Crisscrossing waves of energy tried to alter the course of Maya's strike, tried to direct it away so that it would dissipate into the air, but Maya's magic was potent and managed to pierce that initial defense.

Then it had to get past the woman's will, however, and despite the immense amount of energy that she sent lashing at Axris the woman didn't fold immediately. A wall of will almost repulsed her, but the sheer force of Maya's power cracked it, and a final push had Axris shivering and ultimately dropping to the floor in a quivering heap.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

For the fleeting moment that encompassed the mental assault, Maya's mind was too focused on the action she'd committed to give much concious thought to things. Unlike dominating a mind, destroying one required a different state of mind. One of absolute focus, but as devoid of personality as the intended result. It was comparatively unpleasant to perform, and however quick, the resistance could be felt with an almost grinding sensation. Reverberating for a few seconds. It was the first time Maya had never done it to a sentient being before, and it contrasted very much to the insignificant minds of rabbits or birds.

It was only after the confirming snap of Axris' will buckling, that Maya regained the awareness to realise just how frighteningly close her attack was to being repelled. Although she hadn't forgotten her first attempt. Too strong to hold and control, but not impossible to crush. Just. Maya shivered likewise, though did not drop. Grimacing and rolling her neck, she blinks a few times and frowns solemnly at the vegetative heap that had once been Axris. She sighs, and speaks quietly, "... Sorry."

There were perhaps other things that could be said, but there was little sense in it. Shaking a little of the tension out of herself, Maya glances around the room again and proceed to step over towards the body. She couldn't leave the body still breathing and twitching in the unsettling way it did, and so had to finish the job in some manner. As reluctant as she was to go near the pale woman, she'd quickly check her over for anything that stood out overtly, and then conclude the deed. This unfinished establishment was already plenty spoiled with blood as it was, so a little more wouldn't change anything. Standing at an appropriate distance, Maya would recompose what remained of her energy, and take a moment to carefully line up and direct a precise blade of psychic energy to cut at the jugular. Perhaps it was a little ironic that Axris would die in essentially the same way that Maya caught and prepared many of her own meals. If all went as intended and the cut was made, Maya would be sure to stay out the way of any immediate blood, and take a step back.

Not in the mood to dwell on things or linger long in this spoiled place, she intended to proceed with swiftly checking over the remainder of the building that she hadn't seen yet, lighting her way as she went. Once Axris body was finally still, she decided she would leave it for whoever came to investigate this place, so they might at least piece together what happened to the residents here and anyone they'd lost. Maya would then be departing.

A weak but carefully aimed Mind Cutter coup de grace.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Nothing of note stood out during the quick ruffling through of Axris' pockets. Despite how precise she was, only a mild squirt of blood erupted from Axris' vein as she split it with a small psychic cut, though it would slowly pool beneath the now mindless corpse of the stranger woman. Leaving the dead body behind, a check of the basement revealed a great deal of packed food and alcohol - including some mead seemingly made from shorn nectar - and in the corner a sack full of coin hidden in a nook beneath a stone.

Taking what she liked of what she'd found, the young half daemon would emerge into the daylight, though it was getting dimmer now.

Maya finds no leat magic swag, but she does find a bag full of dosh. Gain 120 denarii. Also take 4 experience.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Maya was glad to fortunately not discover any more of Axris' animated corpses still lurking in the building. Just more food and drink indicating the intended purpose of the place. A fair portion of the food would probably spoil before more people arrived to deal with the place. Some of the drink drew Maya's attention however. Uncorking a bottle to smell confirmed it. This was a rival mead product!? She had been convinced that her family was the first to produce the drink. It was too early to be an imitation, but she'd never noticed such a drink on sale anywhere before. At least not in Glassmoor.

With a slight huff Maya bags a few bottles, and grabs some of the food whilst she was at it. And whilst she had by no means come to loot the place, she only paused momentarily when chancing upon the small sack of coin hidden in the corner. It was hard to tell if anyone alive would know to look for it there, or otherwise miss it, but it probably didn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps it had even belonged to Axris. Maya shrugs and plucks up the sack, before heading back up and exiting the building.

With the sinking sun Maya knew it wouldn't be long at all now before the forest canopy blacked out everything bellow it, even well before the actual sunset. Having spent a while tarrying here, she wouldn't make much more distance today, although she'd rather find somewhere to rest right now anyway. Her choices were probably either to find somewhere to camp, or just skip ahead to the city. Walking around and doing the whole "traveller" thing, seemed to be a great way to stumble upon unpleasant places and people. Although in this case perhaps it had been better after all to have met Axris here than on another day? Perhaps. Tired as she was, Maya summons just a little of her energy, and uses it to take to the sky. Directly vertical, to survey the surrounding forest, and get an idea of what was ahead. She also couldn't help but wonder just how far that scraggly young man had ran for.

Dismissed aspect of dead forest critters buff. Grabbed some food, booze, dosh. Having a look around for anything worth seeing. Half hearted look for any signs of Scragles. If nothing to see, will decide to screw camping, and teleport to Glassmoor (emerging a little way outside gates), so can find an inn that's not full of dead people.

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Maya: HP = 62, PP = 65, EP = 61/113, Status = Fine, Psychic Shield X = 3 (+9 AV, +9 Grapple) Upkeep = 0, Flying

(Also take 2 exp for some zombie kills.)

Rolls
Stuff check: 3
Perception: 45, success.

Flying up into the air and surveying the jungle, at first Maya would only spot a see of various shades of green plus the occasional flash of color where one of the jungle birds poked out among the leaves. After a few moments, however, her sharp gaze would pick up on something else that stood out, and a moment of peering into a small clearing revealed the thin young man sitting beside a tree, holding himself and staring off into the jungle with a blank expression. Whether or not she really wanted to approach him, however, was up to Maya, as she could just as easily teleport all the way to Glassmoor.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

(Forgot to dismiss Psychic Shield. That can go too.)

To whisk away to Glassmoor, or not to, Maya pondered as she gazed out over the distance. A formidable number of horizons separating her from the city even with her current elevated vantage point. It made her feet hurt just thinking about it. The jungle also only got thicker and bolder from this point on, to the point that even when travelling on the road it would tower and obscure...

Maya blinked in surprise. "Oh snap, that's scraggles right there." Maya exclaims quietly to herself, rather amazed at her own eyesight to just pick him out of the untamed jungle quite like that. She had to double take for a second to be sure she'd actually released those animal spirits entirely. But there he was, just sitting around looking kinda glum. Maya needed to remember not to just spontaneously summon forth the spirits of the dead right in front of people like she had. Seemed obvious in hindsight, but it always does. She should go down to say hi, and apologise for spooking him with the ghost.

Maya re-distributes her aura, vision blurring and shifting for a second along with a sensation a bit like curling up in every direction at once, before suddenly exploding into a thousand emerald hued butterflies and unfurling into the wind. Making sure to keep her bearings whilst in this comparatively disorienting form, she fluttered the core of her abstract being down towards the young man. Filling the area loosely for a short while, she guided herself towards a spot a few metres in front of where he was facing. Focusing down into a sitting posture in her mind, she gathered in her aura and energies again, swirling in the mass of butterflies to that spot. With a warm shiver and a sudden regained sense of gravity, Maya emerges.

"Hi. Sorry about that ghost."
She says quickly, potentially competing with a scream or shout in response.

This wasn't exactly the best way to apologise for spooking someone. Maya knew this. But it was probably more fun.

ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ ƸӜƷ

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Maya: HP = 62, PP = 65, EP = 113, Status = Fine

Fluttering down in front of the young man in the form of a swarm of butterflies, the young scraggly man's reaction was almost akin to the one he'd had when she had casually summoned up the spirits of the dead. The legion of colorful insects suddenly appearing around him out of nowhere caused him to jump to his feet, and nearly bolt again before Maya rematerialized in front of him in a seated position. He gaped at her in amazement, and his first words after her apology were; "Are... Are you real? Or is this some sort of fever dream or afterlife?"

He looked perplexed, but ultimately sat down against the tree again. "What... Happened? Why did you have to do... Something like that?"

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Maya couldn't help but chuckle just a little at his initial words, "No, you're not dead silly. My name is Maya, and I'm as real as anyone else is." She answers with a small smile, and casually lifting a finger to poke herself in the side of the cheek a few times, before continuing.

"I called that ghost out to ask what had happened in that inn. It wouldn't have harmed you. Although... It might be a good thing that you ran when you did anyway. The thing responsible for killing the people here was waiting down in the basement. I thought you might sleep better if you knew that it's dead now."

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The young man couldn't seem to decide whether Maya's response to his question was comforting or not, as his face screwed up into a quizzical look that still managed to appear at least slightly concerned. He seemed content to drop the matter of his supposed death for now, however, and settled back down as Maya made herself comfortable. Despite his trepidation about her, he listened and seem content with her explanation, especially once the relieved expression upon being told that Axris was dead swept over his face.

"Dead? So... It's gone!?" he asked, seeking confirmation before being heaving a sigh of relief. "Oh... Thank the gods for that... I'm still going to have nightmares for weeks about those screams, but at least... At least it won't happen to anybody else! And I won't have to worry about it coming for me in the night... There are enough issues trying to stay alive out here without that."

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Maya nods. "I killed it. Body is in the basement." She confirms, as the man then continues. "Mhm. Too close to home to have people getting eaten. Could hardly have carried on with someone like that around." Said with another nod, and then a shake of the head. "But what are you doing out here anyway? You don't just live in the open like a plant do you? You are about as stringy as most." Glancing around the tiny clearing, it didn't exactly look the most homeliest of places.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Heaving another sigh of relief, the thin young man relaxed against the tree and closed his eyes for a moment, but opened them again when Maya asked where he was from and fixed her with another frown. He glanced around a moment later, and then looked back to her, considering something. "I have no home," he said ultimately, "not for a while. I kinda just... Wander, really."

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

"Ahh. Like my mother then, before I was born. You're not being hunted are you? I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere you can live eventually, regardless. And you don't look pregnant either, so that's an advantage!" Maya replies, holding her ankles and swaying back and forth very lightly in her crossed legged sitting position. "Mother travelled all the way from southern Badaria to this area, carrying me, and with sister to look after too. But she's always been strong like that. Guess you have to be to live on the road."

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Hunted? No... Who would want to hunt someone like me? I've never... Done anything really bad," the young man said, hesitating momentarily in mid sentence and finishing it with less than perfect conviction in his voice. Still, he looked at her quite incredulously as she mentioned the bright point that he wasn't pregnant, and after her story about Red he replied; "I... Can't get pregnant. I'm a man. Only girls can do that, don't you know that?" He looked somewhere between annoyed and confused, but then let his expression shift into a more simple frown. "So your mother was like me huh?" he said skeptically, "except... Well, maybe that would be hard. Was your... Sister old enough to do something to help her at least? Nobody ever helps me... Not really."

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

"Well that's one less thing to worry about then, hmm?" Maya replies briefly, shrugging off the matter of being hunted or not. Holding back a small chuckle at the next bit, "Yes silly. I know that." she says with a dull dumb smirk. "Although I can't help but wonder if there's a way. Gotta be somehow." her attention drifting for a moment into potentially suspicious thoughts probably best unquestioned.

Soon snapping back before long however, Maya does notice the young man's expression, and that perhaps they weren't entirely on the same page much so far. "Well you're wandering without a home right? Don't know where to go, what to do, or why? You match that much at least. That's all I'm saying." Maya says, trying to think back to old stories and dreams regarding the subject. "Sister... had to grow up fast. Both have said it was difficult. But... I think she helped a lot. It's not easy being..." she says trailing off at the end, pausing to blink as if she'd come to some kind of realisation, or two.

"Hmm." She murmurs, perhaps leaving the conversation hanging for a moment. When she looks back, it was to say, "You hungry by the way? I've not had anything since the morning." already slinging her travel pack round to retrieve some food from without waiting for an answer. "I grabbed some of this from the basement before leaving. It's all going to waste down there. Want some?" she asks, holding a portion or bundle of some kind of foodstuff out to offer.

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Maya's various ramblings, many of them trailing off, left the young man glaring at her suspiciously. Ultimately, however, her mention of food would spark a low grumble from his stomach before he could respond, and after a moment of hesitation he simply nodded. "Errr.... Yes, but I don't have anything," he said, watching her sling her pack off and then hesitating again as she pulled out some of her scavenged food and offered it to him.

Ultimately, his hunger would override his caution, and he reached out and snatched the whole wrapped package of salted bread and began tearing at the protective taxed paper. "T-thanks," he said, though his eyes didn't quite look up at Maya as he revealed the simple foodstuff and then promptly began tearing into it. Much of what she'd acquired was like that, slightly puffed loaves of dried bread covered in a thin layer of preservative salt, dried cheese or fruit, or wrapped globs of crushed nuts.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

It was rather like watching a starving animal. Thinking about the account the lad had given of the attack on the inn, it seemed likely he'd not eaten anything substantial for well over a day. Or maybe several. He clearly wasn't managing very well out here. "Uhh hey, don't choke now, ok?" Maya says resting her pack in between them, placing the waterskin and rest of the food variety on top. If he gestured any interest or hesitance in taking some, she'd nod to assure it was on offer. She would of course have some of everything herself, though not at quite the same pace. Amongst different company she might casually gripe about the dryness of preserved food, but it didn't seem appropriate.

After a short while she'd mention, "You never actually told me your name you know."

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Once finished with what he already had, the young man would look towards the nearby food-laden pack questioningly. Once Maya offered her nodded permission, he dug in and started eating whatever was closest without any apparent effort to taste any of it between stuffing, chewing, and swallowing. It unsurprisingly didn't take him long to start choking on something, but he slapped himself on the chest a few times and managed to suck in a breath, and took things a good bit slower from then on.

"Mmph... Mmmph, mm," he replied with a full mouth, but then swallowed audibly, gasped for a few moments, and continued; "You didn't ask... But I'm Nathan... Just Nathan." There was a moment of hesitance following the initial revelation of his name, as if there might be something more, but he didn't opt to elaborate on it just then and instead started back towards eating everything he could get his hands on.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

"Well I told you mine. Most people give their name back. It's all right though." Maya replies in between eating. "I don't have a family name either, since mother never knew her parents. Although sometimes I think it might be nice to have one. I don't know what it would be." Taking another bite of salty old bread, and thinking of how much better this be with some good meaty stew. Carrying a cooking pot around everywhere and setting it up would be far too much hassle though, and it wouldn't be a very good stew without other ingredients. Even if the meat was easy to catch.

Thinking about this brings an odd thought back to her. Looking to Nathan to speak again, "Say, Nathan... If rabbits were smart, and could talk, like as smart as people... Do you think we'd still eat them? Because they're small, and we could? Or do you think it'd be different?" She asks sincerely. "Would it be wrong to eat them?" Giving the young man a chance to swallow and process the strange spontaneous query. Whatever his reaction, Maya face would suggest she genuinely wanted to hear his opinion on the odd concept.