Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Laws of the Night OOC and Discussion

Haha! Yep, it's official, Bioware is definitely full of VtM fans, very nice! XD

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Oddly I pictured something worse in my head, but I would imagine no two war ghouls would really look alike.

Now just to satisfy my freaking curiosity and since you probably don't actually know just make something up. Where in the freaking world did Whitewolf come up with the idea of viccissitude?

It's a cool discipline and all but I honestly can't think of a single movie, legend, story, or what have you where vampires do something similar. All the other powers seem to be based on something even if that something is very minor and only very loosely resembles the discipline.

OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't know the name of the movie, what it was about, or even if there was a single vampire in it, but I alsways think of the show the kids were watching for all of five seconds in Ms. Doubtfire, before it gets turned off. That's the only one that rings any bells for me. Maybe someone at an actual computer can help out with a picture or something, but if anyone has the movie laying about, they could find the scene I'm thinking of fairly easily.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Whoops sorry about that Copper, I remember looking at it earlier and reading you took a shot. It just slipped my mind when I finally got the chance to make a post. I'll just have to remember to include it in when I make the next post.

After a bit of research, I'm guessing this is what you mean. An old episode of The Outer Limits with essentially the same plot as the Manchurian Candidate. Except instead of brainwashing they actually use a chemical which allows them to mold the skin like clay. Works for me and now maybe I can stop trying to figure out where they came up with the idea.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh, I give you full permission to knock Izzy unconscious within the next few sends or whatnot. I'm going to be in Boston until at least Monday night late or Tuesday, so, yeah. Either that, or well, she's mostly going to A. Try and shoot Oggly; B. Try and avoid Oggly's yo-yo; and C. Back Raven up on trying to get control of the dogs if the opportunity presents itself. I may or may not be around tomorrow night, I'm not entirely sure.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, tossing the mastiff was not quite as spectacular as I figured it to be, but thanks for indulging me.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Back! I see I didn't miss much, hehehehe.

OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Indeed! We were just waiting for you to get back, couldn't do it without you!

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Awww, y'all didn't have to delay on my account. I told Ronny what Izzy'd be doing and I trust him enough to puppet her for the time being. Well, it's nice to be loved! And missed.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I wouldn't say you weren't missed Copper, but I'm honestly just feeling really bleh about pretty much everything this last week. Plus I was really distracted by an xbox game that I had borrowed from my brother. So sorry about not posting and all. I'll just go and do that now.

The dog tossing probably would have been a bit more spectacular if they weren't ghouled. Since ghouls have potence.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It's all good Ronny, I'd rather you post when not feeling "bleh" then cranking out stuff that just doesn't feel good to play. Quality over quantity and all that jazz.

It's why we won in Korea

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I just wish it didn't happen so often but at least I'm not the only one who gets writer's block in our little group. I guess it makes me feel a little better knowing that some of you understand what it's like.

I'm actually thinking of trying something a little different after the fight is over. Hopefully it might mitigate everyone having to depend on me to keep the story moving along so much. I'll worry more about that after we get past the fight though.

I also feel I should mention that Korea is usually considered a stalemate, you could also say it's neither as well though since it never really ended.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I completely understand writer's block.

And yeah... Korea is a stalemate. I was just grabbing out for references.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I'll wait on a reply in the game. Don't want to run away with things. And not that I think the others would notice right away, but wasn't there an aborted shovel party hand sticking out of the ground, too?

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

All righty, since we're done with the fighting portion of the night at least as far you know. I would really like some feedback as to how all of that went for you guys. Go ahead and be honest because I actually changed the way I was deciding what worked and what didn't half way through the fight. To be honest the method I liked the best was something I never thought I would really use in a game and it worked pretty well if you asked me. I mostly want to know because it will influence if I try my idea for the rest of the game.

EDIT: Yeah the hand is there but it's on the other side of where Claire and Ronny are standing so Izzy and them can't see it yet. I didn't forget but I didn't mention it since you can't see it yet.

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Just checking on the hand. Like I said, didn't think the ones in the door would see it yet.

And, well, seemed all right to me, as far as running combat on a forum can go, given that we weren't exactly rolling dice or doing much besides declaring our actions. Outside of you missing actions here or there, I think it went well enough.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Well it is good to check on something like the hand, I'm not exactly infallible when it comes to remembering things as you just pointed out.

Originally I was actually doing a challenge and keeping track of physical traits and what not but like I said I stopped doing that half way through. It wasn't all that hard to keep track of but it would have taken far too long and probably fairly uninspiring for my taste. So essentially a good portion of the combat was just me deciding on the spur of the moment how well things worked out. So you didn't find it too easy or too hard then I take it?

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Given the fact that my Geist ST hates running combat and usually does that the same way (outside of "what's your dex again? what skills do you have?"), I've got no issue with it, so long as things seem even kiltered and fair.

Also, trying to be good and keep from metagaming. Figure Izzy didn't hear any of Ronny or Claire's conversation until the door was open, so she doesn't know about the blood bags or that he wants to question the other vampire. Granted, things might change IC once she finds out this information, but trying to be good, given that I've got things in mind that I left out on account of that, heh.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I liked the way combat was going. Seemed pretty even (even if I thought Claire was done for at first) all through out. Not easy, not overly difficult. Seemed to flow pretty good as well.

And I've never been one for an overabundance of rolls and rules popping up in an RP anyway, so I liked the way it went.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Well it's actually probably even easier for us this way, since we don't have anything beyond generic physical social mental traits. Since our characters were made to be a bit more generic I guess you could say.

Metagaming doesn't really bother me too much despite what I've said. I was honestly more worried about someone saying they follow Ronny home to try and find Mist since you know she's had contact with him in the game but it's out of character. Not that I think anyone would really do that out of the blue but you never know what kind of crazy ideas may pop into someones head. Still it's good to try and remember it anyways even for more minor things like bits of conversation. The way I had it is you opened the door to hear Ronny saying the nag, nag, nag comment, so for the most part you were right.

I was mostly going for flow in the combat, I changed when I realized that I was fudging a lot of challenges to make it seem more exciting. You wouldn't believe how many challenges would just fail, well Copper probably would but she's more used to pen and paper/larp type than you are from what I gather.

So since it seemed to work pretty well maybe I won't have to change anything after all.