What's new

Lost in the Jungle

A

aguy

Re: Lost in the Jungle

A. Because by god we ARE badass! And we have another free death if it doesn't work out!

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

A - so crazy it might work. B would likely just piss it off and cause it to kill us before eating

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Option A) - In!

----​

This is it. The final exit in the final level. And it's right at the back of the throat of some gargantuan hell-dwelling behemoth. Well, there's only one way to get at it.

Eve takes a moment to compose herself, wrinkling her nose at the disgusting, fiery - and faintly fishy - wafts of breath coming from the maw in front of her. Going in there is obviously suicide; just look at the teeth. Yet weirdly, Eve finds herself in a position of not really caring very much - what'll be will be, it seems.

A smile on her lips and joy in her heart, Eve raises her sword and leaps into the mouth, just as it reaches forward to consume her.

Inside. The mouth shuts behind her and everything suddenly gets very dark; the only light comes from the flickering fire further back in the mouth. Eve jumps into action, darting forwards, weaving her way wildly around the needle-like teeth. They start to collide together behind, the jaw collapsing to a point. Eve picks up the pace, having to stoop lower as the mouth contracts. So nearly there...

Arrghh! One fang, black and hard as diamond, pierces her bicep - but with the speed she's carrying, Eve doesn't stop, momentum carrying her forward and letting the tooth draw a thick, deep line all the way down the upper half of her left arm. Black blood wells out, and by christ is it painful. So painful, Eve looses concentration and trips on another tooth, sword flying out of her hand. The teeth descend and Eve knows she's done for -

Until she tumbles through the archway. For just a second she glimpses herself whizzing past the flames, black blood spurting out behind her - and then nothing.

****​

When she wakes up, Eve finds herself... somewhere very strange. It puts her in mind of a throne room; there's certainly a huge, high backed chair against the back wall, but it's not what you'd call a traditional throne room. All four walls are made of some shining, glowing purple crystal, dancing and shimmering prettily. On one wall hangs a somewhat out-of-place map, huge in size... it appears to show all the corners of the world.
The floor is black stone and the ceiling... what looks to be ordinary glass, looking out on a night sky.

A figure rests on the throne. At least seven foot tall, he languishes in it. His entire body is comprised a swirling black material, almost ink-like - but with every shade of black imaginable, ranging from almost-blues to nearly-greys. The person - Eve assumes it is a person - is stick thin, almost skeletal, except the smooth surface of the skin betrays no bone shapes. The only variety in the body lies in the eyes, which glitter coldly deep in their sockets like little purple amethysts, and a plain golden crown, worn at a steep angle on his head.

"Welcome, traveler." The figure seems to notice Eve for the first time, and stands up. Its face is blank and swirling constantly, just like the rest of his body, but Eve gets the impression it's smiling.
"You have done well to reach my home. Put your journey behind you, and be healed." The voice is masculine, so Eve continues to assume the figure is male, although there's no other way to tell. He waves a hand regally, and Eve feels her body flush with energy - her magic is fully restored, as is her health. The wound on her upper arm heals in an instant.

From nowhere, a table pops into existence in the middle of room; simple, wooden, square. On it also materialize four identical wine glasses, arranged symmetrically, as though on the points of a compass.

"Your final task, Eve, is thus; you must choose a glass, and drink from it. One liquid will grant upon you complete and total knowledge, of all this world and the many worlds beyond.

One drink will destroy you, painfully and utterly.

One cup's contents will transport you back onto the Plain of Bones, safe and sound... although feeling somewhat cheated after coming all this way, I imagine.

The final drink... will bring about the end of the world.
" The figures waves his other hand; the purple walls shimmer, just for a second, and Eve glimpses shadows boiling behind them, raging furiously, smashing themselves against the crystal. She blinks, and suddenly they've gone. The purple walls sparkle innocently.
"Yes, one of these will release those vile shades, and they will fall upon your entire world, dooming it utterly. Not that such an event would bother me, of course." For just a second Eve imagines she sees a grin on the empty, blank face.

He gestures to the table where the four wine glasses sit. "Do you like riddles, Eve?" the figure asks. "This one should help you choose."

The figure points at the wine glass closest to him, furthest away from Eve. The wine within is white.

"When I was young, this world with empty, without form. When I am old, it will be long gone, its history and stories and knowledge lost to the universe. A bitter, disappointing thought, but not one that ruins me."

The hand moves onwards, to point at the wineglass on Eve's right (the man's left). The liquid inside is golden, like the sun.

"Never loose hope, Eve. Even in our darkest hours, trapped in chains of ignorance, something may come to light. A sun rising in the dawn sky, illuminating the ground before it - just as we can be illuminated with understanding. But be wary of such things, for - as they say - knowledge is power."

He points to the third cup, the one closest to Eve. The liquid inside is a very faint pink.

"Everyone and everything must come to dust, Eve. Everything has its time, and everything ends. Be sure to remember that."

The hand gestures towards the fourth and final cup, the one on Eve's left. The liquid inside is blood-red.

"Sadness is not an emotion I feel very often, I confess. I care nothing for this world, and the red wine in this cup is bitter, angry - and strong. I dread to think..."

----​

Pick a glass to drink from.

Doesn't matter one jot.

My advice is to think about it. I made quite sure to leave a few hints in the text/speech about what drink you should choose (assuming you're going for the 'obtain all knowledge' ending) but it's not obvious, and there may or may not be red herrings. Be VERY careful about quick decisions, and bandwagoning - the person before you may have got it totally wrong.

And if you pick the wrong one, yes, you will get the rubbish 'transported down to the Plain of Bones with no way back' ending. :D At least the 'horrible painful death' glass is more interesting.

Cactuses

The user formerly known as MoT
Reputation score

Shame we can pick an option dump em all down her throat at the same time.

But I'm kinda willing to itch myself to the white one.
Golden one seems bit too obvious..

UjisatoGamo

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

God there are so many crazy ideas i want to throw out there, just like MoT the first one that popped into my head was Drink all the things!
The second and probably the one that wont get any backing is to flip the table and lighting bolt the fucker!
But im sort of inclined to go with the golden one...but im going to hold off on locking in my vote till i think on this more, and maybe hear some reasoning from other people

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

God there are so many crazy ideas i want to throw out there, just like MoT the first one that popped into my head was Drink all the things!
The second and probably the one that wont get any backing is to flip the table and lighting bolt the fucker!
But im sort of inclined to go with the golden one...but im going to hold off on locking in my vote till i think on this more, and maybe hear some reasoning from other people
Sure, you CAN drink everything, but you will gain total knowledge, teleport to the Plain of Bones, die painfully, and destroy the world. Not necasserily in that order. It would be a tricky ending to write, is what I'm saying. ;)

Cactuses

The user formerly known as MoT
Reputation score

Sure, you CAN drink everything, but you will gain total knowledge, teleport to the Plain of Bones, die painfully, and destroy the world. Not necasserily in that order. It would be a tricky ending to write, is what I'm saying. ;)
"Worth it!"

Zephyrion

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Pretty sure the answer to the first riddle is the Sun.

ArchAngelGundam

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I'm going with the pink one. One of the greatest peices of knowledge that most people can't or won't comprehend is that everything does indeed end. It's set up like a trick question.
Course, I could be wrong.

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Well, I won't be able to update this evening, because I'm going on holiday for the day and am staying in a hotel overnight. Sans laptop. This means it'll be the evening after this evening that I'll be back to write the ending, so come to a decision before then!

I might be able to drop a few cheeky hints from my phone, though.

Final point: I wrote the riddle (it's more of a sequence of clues with a link running through them) at 11 o' clock last night, after a really tiring day. So if you spot any grammar mistakes or sentence structure errors, they're probably not deliberate.

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

Good, gives us time to mull over our answers

Anyway I'm going for pink

Last edited:

Genius700

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Hmm, pretty sure drinking the sun one will result in fiery death.

I'm not sure past that one.

Zephyrion

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Knowing everything about all universes could be more of a curse than a boon, never being able to enjoy a new discovery, never being able to learn something new. Perhaps knowing some terrible truth about the voices that control her...

Edit: Can we trade our chance to drink from a glass to bring Fomora back to life?

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Knowing everything about all universes could be more of a curse than a boon, never being able to enjoy a new discovery, never being able to learn something new. Perhaps knowing some terrible truth about the voices that control her...

Edit: Can we trade our chance to drink from a glass to bring Fomora back to life?
No. If you drink the wine that gives total knowledge, you should learn HOW to bring Formora back to life, but you can't just trade for it. There's also no way out of the throne room without drinking from one of the cups (it's physically impossible).

By the way, each of the little speeches IS related to the wine being pointed at, but be wary of making the decision based just on that.

-----​

Eve has an idea. Screwing up her courage, she unleashes a Lightning Bolt III at the figure, hitting him squarely on the head. Lightning crackles, sparks - and promptly fizzes out.

The figure laughs.
"I am the Void given form," he says, voice booming around the room. "I am the Void King. Nothing you can do can harm me.

Now make your decision!
"

Last edited:
OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Have another 24 hours guys, I'll be in no fit state to write the ending tonight... and there's not been much voting anyway.

Dracador

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Interestingly, the order they're described in could be matched to the order of the riddles.

The 'painful and utter destruction' one won't be anything too obvious, I don't think - surely this incredibly powerful being can sense the presence of us, the spirits, and it'll affect us too. So I doubt any allusions to bodily death would mean much.

'Sadness is not an emotion I feel often', but 'I care nothing for this world' and 'I dread to think'? Making me think that the last glass (blood red) will invoke painful and utter demise. Maybe it'd be distasteful to the oh-so-almighty being before us

I think that the light pink one (rose, anyone?) will be a teleport to the plain of bones. It'd be a visual expression of the riddle's apparent meaning.

The golden one looks like it is the glass of knowledge. Does seem too obvious though...

And, finally, I have not the foggiest independent idea what the white will do, but by deduction, if I'm right, it'll be the apocalyptic one.

With these in mind, take the faint pink in one hand and drink the golden. If I'm right about what they are then Eve will then have the knowledge of what is in the other glasses, and she has a ticket out in case she gets punted into somewhere inhospitable. If I'm wrong and it happens to be the teleport, there's another chance to attain knowledge muchos

A

aguy

Interestingly, the order they're described in could be matched to the order of the riddles.

The 'painful and utter destruction' one won't be anything too obvious, I don't think - surely this incredibly powerful being can sense the presence of us, the spirits, and it'll affect us too. So I doubt any allusions to bodily death would mean much.

'Sadness is not an emotion I feel often', but 'I care nothing for this world' and 'I dread to think'? Making me think that the last glass (blood red) will invoke painful and utter demise. Maybe it'd be distasteful to the oh-so-almighty being before us

I think that the light pink one (rose, anyone?) will be a teleport to the plain of bones. It'd be a visual expression of the riddle's apparent meaning.

The golden one looks like it is the glass of knowledge. Does seem too obvious though...

And, finally, I have not the foggiest independent idea what the white will do, but by deduction, if I'm right, it'll be the apocalyptic one.

With these in mind, take the faint pink in one hand and drink the golden. If I'm right about what they are then Eve will then have the knowledge of what is in the other glasses, and she has a ticket out in case she gets punted into somewhere inhospitable. If I'm wrong and it happens to be the teleport, there's another chance to attain knowledge muchos
^This (shirks responsibility)

Minerve

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I follow Aguy who's following Drac' :rolleyes: