Reputation score
Re: Lost in the Jungle

IDEA!!

The Void King said that the cups will either:
1. Give you full knowledge of this world AND THE MANY OTHER worlds
2. Destroy us
3. Destroy THIS world
4. Teleport us to the plain of bones.

So if we don't mind breaking a few eggs we just need to not drink the one that will kill us
So mix up the other three, down that sucker in one and then after that we'll know how to magically teleport out of the plain of bones, resurrect the elf, AND stop the void beings destroying this world or simply fuck off to a better one.

QUESTION: The one that will destroy us completly, will it destroy us straight away or take a while to take effect?

akikaze

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Gold liquid. Yay for making back just in time to make the last choice.

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Interestingly, the order they're described in could be matched to the order of the riddles.
You have come tantalizingly close to the right idea there, and then promptly go on to just miss it.

I'm starting to think I didn't make this easy enough.

If you want to try and crack it fairly, carry on, but I'll put some big hints in a spoiler box.

Oh, and the one that destroys us would destroy us too quickly to drink any of the other ones, it's a nearly instantaneous effect.

Hints:
-The correct drink HAS been suggested, but I'm not saying by how many people.

-Try thinking about just the things he says about the drinks, the rest is just characterisation.

- What is the 1, notably out of place, piece of decoration in the room?
- At one point I deliberately described the cups as being arranged 'as though on the points of a compass'.
- The Void King makes a big deal out of the illumination of sunlight being a metaphor for being illuminated by knowledge.
- He compares it to a 'dawn sky'.
- What direction does the sun rise from?
BIG SPOILER: Being trapped in chains of ignorance = being trapped as a shadow behind the crystal. Pretty much everyone twigged to this, but the gold one isn't good.

Definitely going to update tomorrow, otherwise I may as well just pick the correct damn drink for you, lol.

----​

"That's the thing about knowledge, Eve," the Void King continued. "It lets you break apart the rubbish and see what people are really saying. It lets you... see the pattern..."

----​

akikaze

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

You have come tantalizingly close to the right idea there, and then promptly go on to just miss it.

I'm starting to think I didn't make this easy enough.

If you want to try and crack it fairly, carry on, but I'll put some big hints in a spoiler box.

Oh, and the one that destroys us would destroy us too quickly to drink any of the other ones, it's a nearly instantaneous effect.

Hints:
-The correct drink HAS been suggested, but I'm not saying by how many people.

-Try thinking about just the things he says about the drinks, the rest is just characterisation.

- What is the 1, notably out of place, piece of decoration in the room?
- At one point I deliberately described the cups as being arranged 'as though on the points of a compass'.
- The Void King makes a big deal out of the illumination of sunlight being a metaphor for being illuminated by knowledge.
- He compares it to a 'dawn sky'.
- What direction does the sun rise from?
BIG SPOILER: Being trapped in chains of ignorance = being trapped as a shadow behind the crystal. Pretty much everyone twigged to this, but the gold one isn't good.

Definitely going to update tomorrow, otherwise I may as well just pick the correct damn drink for you, lol.

----​

"That's the thing about knowledge, Eve," the Void King continued. "It lets you break apart the rubbish and see what people are really saying. It lets you... see the pattern..."

----​
At least its not some Blue, Red, Green ending :p

Dracador

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

And this is why I try not to think about things too often. For some reason I had an image of the four glasses in a line between him and Eve. Guess I'll be changing to the blood-red one, then...

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

Okay it's the pink one (look at the first letter in each riddle)

I'm guessing...:
White is Plain of Bones
Gold is self destruction
Red is end of the world

Cactuses

The user formerly known as MoT
Reputation score

You know I'm also kinda thinking it could be the red one too.
As the pinks riddle could kinda fit for the whole "end of the world too"

"Everything ends" afterall.

This is a pretty hard decision indeed.

I still think you should just dunk them all down, "worth it!" xP

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Not sure if you guys get this but remember there is a map here (compass much?)

Also sun rises in the EAST pink dawn red sunset?

I'll throw out more but I really wanted to blow up after gaining the knowledge for the lolz

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Just 6 hours(ish) to go before the update. A couple of you seem to have got it now. Make sure to persuade others, because votes are still being counted!

Tomorrow, a brand new CYOA...

Bigger, better, sexier...

Tentacle Souls!

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

For those that still don't get it...

The glasses are laid out like the points of a compass, look at the first letter of each sentence:

"When I was young, this world with empty, without form. When I am old, it will be long gone, its history and stories and knowledge lost to the universe. A bitter, disappointing thought, but not one that ruins me."

The hand moves onwards, to point at the wineglass on Eve's right (the man's left). The liquid inside is golden, like the sun.

"Never loose hope, Eve. Even in our darkest hours, trapped in chains of ignorance, something may come to light. A sun rising in the dawn sky, illuminating the ground before it - just as we can be illuminated with understanding. But be wary of such things, for - as they say - knowledge is power."

He points to the third cup, the one closest to Eve. The liquid inside is a very faint pink.

"Everyone and everything must come to dust, Eve. Everything has its time, and everything ends. Be sure to remember that."

The hand gestures towards the fourth and final cup, the one on Eve's left. The liquid inside is blood-red.

"Sadness is not an emotion I feel very often, I confess. I care nothing for this world, and the red wine in this cup is bitter, angry - and strong. I dread to think..."

WNES

Knowledge is like the sun rising, the sun rises in the East, hence the pink drink is the right answer

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

The Pink Glass wins! And I only practically had to give it away. Big round of applause to MrMe, though, he saw the letter trick and was right about two of them (just getting the effects of the gold and red mixed up).

----​

Eve ponders it. For hours she stands there, contemplating her choice, considering her options. She looses track of how many times she replays the Void King's riddle in her mind. When I was young.... Never give up hope... Everything has its time... Sadness is not an emotion I feel...

Waaaait just a minute...

In one glorious, shining second, all the pieces of the jigsaw fly together in Eve's head.

The map on the wall. It's the only decoration in here. The cups are in a diamond formation... as though each one is on the point of a compass.

It's not so much a riddle; more like directions.

"OK," mutters Eve, excitement rising - nearly there! Nearly there!

Wait, even if it is a compass metaphor, how does that help? She still doesn't know what drink does what!

Or maybe she does.

The descriptions are telling. Bitter, disappointing, but not ruinous? That's how she'd feel about being teleported to the Plain of Bones. And bones are white, like the liquid in that cup.
Bitter, angry, and strong... it would take something like that to destroy her. Bitterness and anger are like wards to her lust-driven magic.
As sun rising in the dawn sky, with light as a metaphor for knowledge? OK, looks like the gold one is the one to drink!
Wait. The sun rises in the east. The first letter of each of the descriptions - they spell out W,N,E,S. The points of the compass.

So what did the Void King have to say about the eastern-most one? Everything has its time...
Well, that's knowledge right there, and not one of the easiest pieces to accept.

And look, the liquid inside is pink - the colour of a dawn sky. If that's not a hint, what is?

Screwing up her courage, Eve reaches for the glass containing the pink wine. Her hand shakes slightly with the enormity of her decision. What if she got it wrong? What if -
No time for that now. She lifts it off the table, taking care not to spill a drop. As the Void King looks on intently, she raises the glass to her lips - and swallows it all down in two gulps.

It's a very bizarre feeling. The liquid splashes down her throat and esophagus; for a second it feels like blazing fire, burning away horrendously - the next it's like ice, freezing and sticking to her gullet. Eventually the sensation passes, and Eve looks up - her eyes now blaze as two shining ice-blue orbs.

Her eyes glance at the table. In an instant a mass of information pours into her mind - it's wooden, 2m by 2m, hand-crafted by some of the finest sculptors in the world. It took them 8 days to make. It's imbued with certain charms that make it impervious to damage.
This floods Eve's brain in less than a second, but it doesn't slow her down; she seems to be able to just process it all instantly. Quite remarkable.

Looks like that was the correct potion then!

Eve looks intently at the remaining wine glasses. The red one first - and instantly she's aware that this one would be fatal, it contains a very potent poison who's name she doesn't recognize. It would cause her body to tear itself apart in a matter of seconds.
The white one would teleport her to the Plain of Bones, just as she suspected. The wine itself was infused with the tears of a hundred upset children -

Oh god.

"What is this?" Eve calls out. "What am I?"

She looks across at the Void King for an answer (he's ancient, came into existence shortly after the birth of the universe itself, considers himself a God, watches over multiple worlds and is highly political. Sitting around at the top of this temple is his idea of a summer holiday).

"Well, Eve," he replies. "It looks like you know everything. How does it feel? What are you going to do first?"

A million answers leap to Eve's tongue - and promptly get stuck there, competing vocally amongst themselves. Eventually she decides on the one that would make her the most happy, right now. And she can do it, she knows, thinking it through. A simple spell. A bit of time-travel. Some slight paradoxes. But it'll all be worth it.

Eve speaks her answer loud and bold. A slight grin tugs at the corners of her mouth.

"I'm going to save Formora."

----​

Thanks for playing! I hope you enjoyed this CYOA as much as I enjoyed writing it! (And trust me, I enjoyed writing it a lot). It was a valuable learning experience, helped me keep my writing skills active, all that jazz.

Any feedback you can give me would be much appreciated, even if it's just 'yeah it was cool I guess'. I'm looking for ideas to help me make my next CYOA even better and more fun for everyone.

A final thank you to everyone that read this, and that voted at any time during it. You guys are great. :)

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

Thanks for writing this Shadow (the rest of you ignorant cunts can say thank you now)

As for ideas about the next CYOA... I was always disappointed that Tentacle Evolution never got finished

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Thanks for writing this Shadow (the rest of you ignorant people can say thank you now)

As for ideas about the next CYOA... I was always disappointed that Tentacle Evolution never got finished
Thank you. :)

Oh, whilst I know this might sound conceited (I'm trying not to be, honest) I also wanted to say that if you write a CYOA yourself, and you ever get really stuck for ideas, you're fine to use any of the characters* or settings I used in this one. I don't mind, honest.

*I made the Void King up on a whim, he's in it for about 10 minutes, yet he's already one of my favourites. <3

ogrebattler

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Yes A big Thank You for writing this CYOA. I found it very enjoyable to read even though I haven't been on enough to participate in it very much. I definitely look forward to reading your next one if and when you decide to undertake it.

Dracador

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Aye, many thanks. I should stay out of any reasoning for riddles xD

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Aye, many thanks. I should stay out of any reasoning for riddles xD
Thanks. :) Anyway, unsubtle bump because I'm only 3 posts away from 500, and that's a very appealing round number for my first CYOA. And I'll be damned if I'll let it finish with 499 posts! ;) So to drag this out just a little further, feel free to chip in with more feedback. Was the CYOA more fun when Eve was weak and vulnerable, strong and overpowering, or a mixture of both? And was the MP system balanced or not?

Minerve

Tentacle God
Reputation score

A mixture of both, indeed: too much strong isn't fun, too much vulnerable is yet quickly boring.

And I've got your 500th post :p !