What's new

RPG Unknown/Hiatus Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

Sometimes I just wanna join the conspiracy that the game is totally complete and if yelled at enough they will give it to us.

Slam Sector

Sex Demon
Reputation score

To the audience, it absolutely is trivial. That's the whole point.
To an audience that believes game development is done by magic wand, maybe.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

To the audience, it absolutely is trivial. That's the whole point.
So why should it not be clarified, when we know it's way more work than we as the end-users will necessarily see or feel the results of? Patrons are essentially investors, it's only their fault if they feel cheated. People shouldn't get mad at the developers because they didn't make the effort to understand that sometimes, the devs need to work on "boring" things like game logic, UI, technical shit like whatever these madmen did with RPG maker etc before it's even worth adding further content ie artwork, levels, enemies and dialog.

Last edited:

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

To an audience that believes game development is done by magic wand, maybe.
No, if you order a coffee in a restaurant you don't give a fuck if it's squeezed by a magic toaster operated by infantile lemmings, you just want to get your damn cup of coffee for the price listed.

The process that goes into making a product is rarely relevant to a consumer, unless that process is something notable (i.e a product being made through child labor, and even then it's rarely a consideration, see shit like McDonald's being as popular as it is)

People who are considering being a patron simply to get a product don't care what goes on in production. People who are patrons to support someone will generally do so because of what that person makes, not how he makes it, while this kind of background information can be interesting and entertaining details it's not critical to the decisions of the majority of your audience.

So if, for example, I donate because I want to see more Malise and the Machine, and throughout a year I get an utterly trivial amount of it, I consider my investment a write-off, the promise that work behind the scenes will allow for an increased rate of production is worthless until it pays off.

You can compare this to hosting a radio show, your audience expects a steady and reliable stream of new content, even if you want to do something like a vacation or upgrade your equipment you need to do something like record some content ahead of time to tide them over, additionally you'll want a buffer for when you get sick or otherwise indisposed, telling people "it's coming" will just have them lose interest and move on to more reliable content producers. So yes, while the work they do behind the scenes is great and important, the negligible amount of actual content to keep the interest of their less committed patrons is cause for some people to stop supporting them.

I mean... going so far as to blaming the customer for not being interested, I just don't even know how to respond to that. You don't have some obligation to inform yourself, people don't fucking have time for that shit. You need to understand that the customer doesn't want your product to succeed, doesn't want you to realize your hopes and dreams, they want to masturbate to girls being molested by weird monstrosities, everything else is secondary to that.

Note, most importantly, the difference between something like a customer of a producer (which will still be a good chunk of Patrons) and a supporter (or an actual patron in the regular sense of the word) and even supporters don't really care WHAT happens, just that it does. You don't care what materials a painter uses to mix his paints, you just want them to make beautiful paintings, the materials become relevant when the painter starts suffering mercury poisoning for using weird materials and it gets in the way of the paintings being made.

mellofellow

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

A bit of feed back and a request for help. I've downloaded the demo and I'm pretty much stuck at the fuses. I don't know if the demo ends at after I unlock gate C or before.

That said I may be missing the obvious but I can't find the number of fuses I need to beat it. I know to check the doors and numbers. It is getting the numbers right that I am having issues with.

I may have missed some on the west side maintenance area because to me at least it is a bit of a maze.

My feedback is that if this is the first level of your game that you may want to simplify it some so idiots like me can complete it. My problems tend to be getting lost and how long of the walk to get from place to place.

This feedback also only applies to the demo sense so far that is all I played.

Also can I please get a walk-through on the demo lvl? I know I'm missing something that is plain as day and it is bugging me so much.

Thank you.

Reputation score

You don't have some obligation to inform yourself
You're an idiot. It is entirely up to the customer to inform themselves about what they are purchasing. If you don't do the research and then the product you spend money on isn't what you expected you only have yourself to blame.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

You're an idiot. It is entirely up to the customer to inform themselves about what they are purchasing. If you don't do the research and then the product you spend money on isn't what you expected you only have yourself to blame.
You must have a lot of free time if you can do in-depth research into everything you spend money on lad. Keep your trite platitudes to yourself and wake up to reality. People who work nine hours a day five days a week have neither the time nor energy to worry about the details that go into producing what they masturbate to, when you go and watch a movie in a theater you don't research what camera they used to film it with or the employment history of the cameraman, your extremely shallow understanding of consumer responsibility is laughable and your haughty attitude as equally childish.

Most developed countries utilize a system of consumer protection laws for a reason, and obligate producers and distributors to provide complete and honest information about their product where relevant, that's not up to the consumer to dig up on their own.

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

(...) madmen (...)

@censuur
I would agree with you if Malise and the Machine was a game with finished engine and just released in chapters, but it's not. What patrons get is essentially a work-in-progress version of the game which shows progress made on the game and change-logs contain all relevant changes, even trivial/boring/technical ones, to allow patrons better judgment on whether or not changes are satisfactory or not. Game is still in alpha phase, so back-end stuff was, is, and will be getting a lot of attention - some people like it, some don't.
Also, please remember that Malise and the Machine is a game and as such it's not comprised only from smut images.

@all
Happy New Year! :D

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting what you're doing is wrong, merely explaining the mindset of part of the audience, the people that come by and complain about a lack of content. These people aren't interested to know why the coffee hasn't arrived yet, they are simply irritated that they haven't gotten it, and they consider their contributions to be ordering a cup of coffee which isn't entirely apt, but that is their mindset.

You see this all the time in Patron threads, where people will complain about this very issue only to be rebuffed with responses that backstage work takes up a lot of time and effort, and while entirely valid this is not a relevant answer for them, because it's not a concern for them.

There's nothing wrong with providing the information that you have, in fact it's great that you do, but this subset of people doesn't care and doesn't need to be reminded of information they don't care about (which is addressed to people in this and similar threads repeating information relevant to them, but not to the people they're talking to)

@all
Happy New Year! :D
And you as well.

mellofellow

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

To clarify.

My feedback like all feedback is a suggestion. I'm sorry for any confusion that caused.

My only request was really for the community on this tread. Was for a walk through.

I figured a blind play through of the demo help with development. Sense a good number of players go into a game with an idea of what is in the game, but not the exact location of everything within the game.

I may try and beat the puzzle later on my own. I just want the walk-through so if I fail at it again I can at least see if there is more beyond the C door.

Again sorry for the confusion.

Demontom

Demon Girl
Reputation score

You see this all the time in Patron threads, where people will complain about this very issue only to be rebuffed with responses that backstage work takes up a lot of time and effort, and while entirely valid this is not a relevant answer for them, because it's not a concern for them.

The problem with this is people don't seem to understand what they're signing up for with Patreon. You likened their thoughts on putting money in through Patreon as similar to ordering a cup of coffee, when in actuality, it's more akin to putting money into the development of a new and improved blend, and getting a cup of coffee when it's done. Then when finding the perfect blend takes time and effort, which they should have known when signing up for a development cycle program like Patreon, they kick, stamp, and scream.

So if they're complaining that they're not getting something fast enough when they signed on to support the development of something, because the development cycle isn't something that matters to them? Yeah, that's on them for having unreasonable expectations.

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

@censuur
We are aware that different people have different views at how progress should look, and to be honest whatever we do someone will complain, so the only thing we can really do is to do our job and hope that people will appreciate it.
If smut is the only thing someone wants to see in a game, which is probably majority of the mindset/subset you mentioned, Malise and the Machine may not be for them, at least not yet.

@mellofellow
Don't think anyone was referencing your post, so it didn't cause any confusion. I just forgot to answer you in my previous post - sorry for that. Don't want to spoil everything so I will just post few hints before the solution (each in its own spoiler tag):
There are only 7 fuse panels, with one being reserved for A circuit (ARIS unit access).
After inserting fuses to C circuit at both fuse panels inside area reached by B circuit gate, you won't have to return to this area.
After doing the above, revisit fuse panels with fuses in B circuit, blow those fuses, and insert new ones into C circuit.
Anyway, C circuit gate is almost the end of the demo (clearly indicated), but has some fun stuff ;).

mellofellow

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

@AltairPL Thank you for the help. Yeah reading again I realized that the debate wasn't a result of my post. Phew. But that happens when you read when you're super tired.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The problem with this is people don't seem to understand what they're signing up for with Patreon.
Agreed, but my comments mainly expressed a perspective of people which anyone discussing Patreon related matters is going to be dealing with, and the notion that explaining the virtues of all the background work that goes on is pointless for these people, as they simply do not care.

You likened their thoughts on putting money in through Patreon as similar to ordering a cup of coffee, when in actuality, it's more akin to putting money into the development of a new and improved blend, and getting a cup of coffee when it's done. Then when finding the perfect blend takes time and effort, which they should have known when signing up for a development cycle program like Patreon, they kick, stamp, and scream.
Apt, though I'd make the point that these people don't need to be rejected or pushed away for misunderstanding or misusing the system, maybe let them have more of a taste of the work in progress, even if that means adapting your workflow a bit. This is easier said than done obviously, but for Patreons in general it's something to keep in mind. There is an audience here, they're willing to give you money, but you'd need to treat them in a certain manner, ultimately that's more of a general assessment than specifically related to MatM.

So if they're complaining that they're not getting something fast enough when they signed on to support the development of something, because the development cycle isn't something that matters to them? Yeah, that's on them for having unreasonable expectations.
I wouldn't say their expectations are unreasonable, and that's a flawed way of thinking, you're never going to convince anyone or win them over once you start asserting that what they do is unreasonable. The better method is one where you (try to) see the reasons behind their actions and correct it where flawed or inappropriate. So it's not that their expectations are unreasonable, just misguided, and you'll accomplish more by pointing this out that merely dismissing them as unreasonable, that'll probably just agitate them and make them more vocal (as I've seen countless times already >_>)

ulmf987

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I've been observing this project since 2015. I return every couple of weeks / months and see how it has developed. After about 2 years of development (or was it 3 years already?) I have to admit, that I'm kind of worried this has become too big of an undertaking. From the info I gathered from players / patreons, the looks of the game (AAA hentai game!) and the devs I fear this may become the next Duke Nukem Forever or Star Citizen of hentai games. I very much doubt we'll get a finished version of MATM within the next 2 years (e.i. 2017 and 2018). Judging by the amount of work that has been done and is still to come, I'm expecting this project to go BETA in 2018 with maybe around 50 - 75 % completion.

What I want to say is: this game looks too good and promising to be just in development forever. At some point you have to make sacrifices and stop optimizing / recoding / redesigning / reinventing (basic) stuff and just try to get a workflow going. It doesn't help the devs and it certainly doesn't help the backers, if a game can't be finished within a reasonable amount of time. Too high or too many goals often don't do any good. Better keep certain ambitious ideas for a sequel and improve on the mistakes and flaws on the next project.

The only two publishers / devs that can get away with a development cycle longer than 2-4 years are probably Blizzard and Rockstar. :D

And no, I don't consider Bethesda games particularly good in relation to the dev time.
Skyrim = 5.5 years after Oblivion
Fallout 4 = 7 years after FO3!! (New Vegas was by Obsidian)

Last edited:

Demontom

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Skyrim was only 3 years after Fallout 3, and Fallout 4 was 4 years after Skyrim though. While no, the teams are not identical, they both contain some of the same people, and they intentionally stagger the releases of their games to let the modding communities do their thing. For example, Emil Pagliarulo is one of the lead designers for FO3, 4, and Skyrim. So while he was busy with Skyrim, pretty sure FO4 was on the backburner for him.

pedpenguins

Reputation score

Is there any new news? it looks like development has gone quiet unless it's all behind the patreon paywall now?
I wouldn't mind supporting but I don't like the idea or setting up a monthly subscription especially for a project that could fizzle out (breeding season) or just keep going infinitely after potentially spending (goldylocks) $1,400 (28 months x $50)
I'd love for there to be an upfront fee or just donate x amount to the project.

Demontom

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Well, you don't need to continue to donate forever. The news does tend to be on Patreon, EM puts out a big post at the beginning of the month for all patrons, as well as having weekly updates for Inner Circle members (those donating $10+ a month).

With that being said, with this project, as long as you've donated $20 or more throughout development, you'll receive a free copy upon release.

Aside from that, you could very easily do a one-time shot of $20 and then cancel right after, as they started charging upfront back in October so people don't have to set up their payment and then wait until the beginning of a new month to get the demo, etc.

pedpenguins

Reputation score

Wouldn't donating $20 then cancelling only give me growth and development access and WIP builds for that month then afterwards I'm locked out till they release? which for all anyone knows could be in 2020?

Demontom

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Pretty much, yeah. You only have access for the months that you donate. The $20 is basically the preorder total, if you will. I guess I misunderstood what you were referring to with the one-time fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.