What's new

[One Minute Reviews] Recommended anime and manga

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score
The purpose of this thread is to recommend anime or manga series you have found of your liking (or not) with a very very briefly review (or should i call it preview?) with no major spoilers obviously plus some pics or videos.

Anyone can participate, of course.

Tip: To make things easier for the readers, i suggest using a 5 stars rating system:

1 STAR - Awful
2 STARS - Mediocre
3 STARS - Good
4 STARS - Very Good
5 STARS - Excellent

And specifyng the subgenre(s).

Awright, i start:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - Subgenre: Mecha - 5 STARS

Opening:

Probably one the best Gundam series ever. Armed conflicts in the space and heart freezing drama. Great designs and animation, likeable characters, well thought plot and original ideas for the time makes this a MUST for science fiction fans.
Note: While it is the sequel to Mobile Suit Gundam, watching the original series is not a requisite to be able to enjoy Zeta, although it would be something good to do.

Last edited:
OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Re: [One Minute Reviews] Recommended anime and manga

Ressentiment - Subgenres: Romantic Comedy and Drama - 5 STARS

The story of a jaded FOREVER ALONE man in his 30s who finds himself immersed in a virtual reality massive online game where the players have extremely realistic AI controlled virtual girlfriends who serve each and every of their commands... but things weren't going to be that easy and all hell breaks loose...
A manga about loneliness, self-esteem issues and love on a bizarre comedy light. Well done plot, very likeable characters, drama and introspection.
Only 4 volumes of pure awesome. The ending will make you shit bricks.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - Subgenres: Comedy - 5 Stars

Yeah, it was pretty good.

E

Exofluke

Cowboy Bebop

This is by far the best anime series I have ever seen.

It's definitely a 5-star series.

It's a SciFi that ranges from mystery/drama to action & comedy, there also might be a little horror (depending the episode).

Last edited:
OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Tobaku Mokushiroku Kaiji - Subgenre: Gambling - 5 STARS

Opening S1:
Opening S2:

The anime adaptation of one of Nobuyuki Fukumoto's awesome gambling mangas. The story revolves around the out of this world gambling odyssey of the main character, Kaiji, a man in his 20s who finds himself escaping from debt hell. Mind games! Psychology! Tension! Plot twists! Drama and lots of zawa zawa are to be expected from this fukken awesome piece of animation. A MUST WATCH for pretty much everyone.
Note: The second season is currently airing, expect more seasons in the future.
Although you could read the manga, the anime adaptation is much more immersing and therefore a superior experience.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Fullmetal Alchemist.

I don't even need to post anything about it, it's that good. (though I will once I've come home from work)

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Now. Question, Oni. Do you mean FMA, or FMA Brotherhood?

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Now. Question, Oni. Do you mean FMA, or FMA Brotherhood?
Either of them, they're both excellent versions though Brotherhood (as it follows the manga) is thr superior of the two. And I'll have to post stuff tomorrow or during the weekend.

OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa - Subgenre: Psychological - 5 STARS

Another awesome manga from Nobuyuki Fukumoto. This time about the personal struggle of a blue collar working man in his 40s who finds himself depressed about his loneliness and lack of accomplishments in the social aspect of his life, and is willing to fight back against his own weakness in order to have friends and become popular. However, the way of life is full of obstacles and circumstancial enemies, which make this manga much more action packed than one would expect by reading the introduction.
A manga about manliness, dignity, strength and anguish. Manly tears will be shed. An absolute MUST for any man who has ever experienced dissatisfaction with life, since it's extremely motivating.
Note: Although Fukumoto's drawing style might initially shock or put off many people, you would be an utter retard for not giving his mangas a chance based on that.

OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Wolfsmund - Subgenres: Suspense, Drama, Psychological - 5 STARS

A wonderful compilation of stories placed in a medieval world surrounding the city of Wolfsmund and its ruler.
The artist, Mitsuhisa Kuji, worked as an assistant for Kentaro Miura (Yes, you have read it right), so expect great and brutal things.
Note: Bricks will be shat, i guarantee it.

OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Liking the thread so far?

Monster - Subgenre: Thriller - 5 STARS

Naoki Urasawa's most famous manga worldwide. Monster's plot revolves around a series of murders and a genius surgeon, Dr Tenma, how becomes involved in a relentless game of cat and mouse across Europe (but mainly focused on Deutschland). If one thing Urawasa excels at, is complex and realistic character development, so fans of consistently logical plot advancement and realistic (thus relatable) characters, with their own goals and personalities, will find in Monster a very amusing piece of work. However, let me warn you this manga is closer to old detective novels rather than modern quick action packed ones.
The slow pacing may be something exasperating for some, in which case, i recommend them to go watch The Shield or something instead.

Zelzar

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Welcome to the N.H.K - Subgenre: Black Comedy, Romance 5 STARS

Amazing manga and anime that makes you think a bit of life.

OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Berserk - Subgenre: Action - 4 STARS

Slaughter, rape and more dark medieval fun in Kentaro Miura's master piece.
One of the biggest testosterone charged mangas motherfucking ever.
However, it gets 4 stars because it's dropping in quality later on. Moe ruined Miura.

OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Vinland Saga - Subgenres: Action, farming lol - 5 STARS

An amazingly well done adventure story, with its twists and political backgrounds. If you like ancient historical settings and complex characters, you'll fall in love with this manga. And the drawing style is gorgeous.

OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

All-rounder Meguru - Subgenre: Fighting - 3 STARS

As realistic as a fighting manga can get. No genius main character, no bullshit "resolve" powerups, no fantasy techniques or overuse of less efficient flashy techniques, no fantasy physics either. The most unrealistic thing in this manga is how fucking beautiful are the girls (who happen to be pro fighters). It's very technical focused, despite it's moments of slice of life.
It's worse point, ironically, it's that the same realism it makes it stand out is the feature that makes the manga much less exciting than less realistic fighting mangas. Everything looks extremely normal, and normal gets boring fast.

In fewer words, it lacks passion. It lacks what makes the reader's blood boil.

Last edited:
OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

The "Big 3"

Naruto - Subgenres: Action, Angst - 2 STARS

One of those mangas which started very good, later went "just good ", and then went "Fuck, JUST END IT ALREADY". The unfortunate fate of most mangas over 50 volumes.

Once upon a time there was a young wizard (who called himself a ninja) who was all about surpassing himself for the sake of gaining people's affection and his dream of becoming Hokage. Then Michael Jackson recruited the boy's rival buddy, who then become the boy's newly found obsession and the mangaka's excuse to express his latent homosexuality. There was also a girl with them, but she ain't worth shit.
Years passed and the world order suddenly became threatened by a group of Linkin Park enthusiast revolutionaries. The boy's rival buddy goes batshit crazy and starts fucking everyone's shit. Everyone becomes emo and is special.
Lots of meaningless fights occur, and in the end the big cheese behind everything happens to be a mastermind with shitty retarded goals involving a Ten-Assed sacred monkey with eye hax. Then he gathers with the remaining snake and a pothead and pulls one of the biggest asspulls to ever grace shounen manga since Saint Seiya. And now we're still stuck reading battles between characters NOBODY GIVES A SHIT about because they appeared like for 5 minutes.

Note: It's fandom is mainly composed of histerical overweight fangirls and fanboys and a small segment of jaded misanthropes. If i hear a fangirl sayin' "Saske!" one more fucking time...

Bleach - Subgenres: Action, Trolling - 2 STARS

A Saint Seiya doujin with shitty pacing and wasted panel space made by a lazy fucktard who could do much better but chooses not to.

One upon a time there was a teenager who was butthurt about his mom's death. Then a sparrow haired female reaper appeared in his room and transferred him her deathhax powers. The teenager becomes then a spirit detecti-.. substitute reaper. There were also many other side-characters, but they're underpowered as fuck and therefore rarely, if ever, shined.
The female reaper spends some time with the protagonist, and then gets captured and condemned to be executed. The teenager and his friends go save her, and in the end it was all part of some plan made by a professional troll who ruins everyone's shit for the lulz, who then flees away to the no-background dimension.
Since the mangaka has a raging boner for Saint Seiya, one rescue wasn't enough. So the cosmic douchebag behind everything sends L from Death Note to abduct an airhead moeblob with an annoying vocal idiosyncrasy from the protagonist's group of friends for shit and giggles. And of course, the teenager and friends go rescue her.
Years of trolling, mindfucks and meaningless fights between cannon fodder later, the main character loses his power and is separated from the sparrow haired reaper, causing an humongous amount of drama, rage and shitstorm within the fandom. And now we're still stuck reading a training arc with (once again) forgettable new characters.

Note: It's fandom is mainly composed of batshit crazy fangirls and jaded misanthropes. Give the shippers nuclear weapons and you'll get a 3rd World War the moment the sparrow haired reaper appears again.

One Piece - Subgenres: Adventure, Angst - 3 STARS

A manga about very likeable characters travelling and hearing sob stories which relies on novelty and constantly moving on to avoid boring the readers with the same NEW PLACE->NEW CHARACTERS-> NEW SOB STORIES -> NEW VILLIANS-> FORCED DRAMA-> Another bullshit power of friendship hax-> VILLIANS GETS PUMMELED-> RINSE AND REPEAT.
Unlike Naruto or Bleach, it's more enjoyable if you read it in small doses, otherwise you'll get bored easily.
Overall the character designs are much more original and varied than the ones from the other 2 mangas, but what it gives it 3 STARS is the fact that unlike the others, One Piece never stays too much around something. Which is great, otherwise it would as dull as the other 2.

Note: Since it's groundbreaking commercial success records some years ago and currently, it's fandom is full of hubristic retards who claim the manga is akin to the second coming of Jesus or some shit like that.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Wow, someone really doesn't like the big 3. Admittedly they aren't the best but they're a lot better than what you're giving them. Though Naruto is the worst out of the three.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Wow, someone really doesn't like the big 3. Admittedly they aren't the best but they're a lot better than what you're giving them. Though Naruto is the worst out of the three.
I'd disagree with that. Granted, I barely watched the animes for any of them, and didn't read a page of the mangas, but I remember both Naruto and Bleach being little more than sequences of fight scenes with a Hideo Kojima plot connecting them, and characters so uninteresting to someone that didn't get into the show immediately that it was almost painful to watch.

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Personally, I love Bleach. It's at least better than the other two. (Hate One Piece.) But even I started laughing at your reviews.

BTW,

Since the mangaka has a raging boner for Saint Seiya

Wrong. There's a reason he's called "Titty Kubo"...

OP
Krim

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Wow, someone really doesn't like the big 3.
Admittedly they aren't the best but they're a lot better than what you're giving them.
I still enjoy them to some degree (Otherwise i'd have stopped reading them and never picked them back), but i don't enjoy them nearly as much as other action mangas and i'm aware and honest about how they are not the best the market has to offer when it comes to it's subgenre.
The act of criticizing requires comparing and being honest about it and sometimes being harsh, avoiding sugar coating things. It is needed in order to give more accurate recommendations rather than just making it a binary judgement (ie: I like it 5 STARS, i don't like it 1 STAR), and it's inevitable to have in mind the defects of the thing you're criticizing, which is why i gave Berserk (which i like a lot) 4 STARS. And you compare them (at least mentally, otherwise it would take an ungodly wall of text rating something) with the mangas of the same subgenre you've read (Ie: Berserk, Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Vinland Saga, Grappler Baki, Shamo, Hajime no Ippo, etc). And you gauge the manga you're judging with them, you gotta try to be honest. And thus, i gave the Big3 the rating i think they deserve.

Personally, I love Bleach. It's at least better than the other two.
-Nobody good and relevant dies unless it's a flashback (at least in Naruto some characters do. Then again, many of them revived because of the power of Naruto's peptalk to an emo kid :mad:).
Not even Hinamori and Yamamoto died, that's some serious bullshit and you know it.
-Bleach's battles are overall much more simpler than Naruto's.
-Both One Piece and Naruto's characters have more character development and story background than most of Bleach ones. The Akatsuki has been much more developed than the group of servant ragdolls known as the Espada.
-The whole Arrancar Saga was one big waste of time (Which wouldn't be so annoying if it hadn't lasted for like 28 VOLUMES).
Aizen didn't need an army, didn't kill anyone relevant and neither had any use for Ichigo's training.
Both the vaizards and the arrancars were a huge letdown, Hollow Ichigo (who showed some promise) ended up being just another part of Zangetsu, who for no fucking reason became an emo tsundere bishounen out of the blue.
For some stupid yet unexplained reason neither Shunsui or Yamamoto used bankai against Aizen. Kensei, like Grimmjow, got MIA (Kubo forgot about him too).
In the end Aizen was defeated by an inglorious asspull that not only did not kill him (Sousuke is the motherfucking Highlander), but also forced a status quo on the manga, since Ichigo lost his powers, Aizen went back to the darkness and Rukia to SS. And now we're on another training arc, this time (on a Yu Yu Hakusho fashion) with humans with powers. At least they're not hideous like most of the vaizards.
Anyway, last saga's final part made so blatant Kubo is cheaply dragging the most he can the manga it's annoying.

-Of the Big 3, Bleach is the worst when it comes to panel using and story pacing.
Overall simpler backgrounds (Unless there're no backgrounds at all), giant unnecessary panels that hurt the pacing, making it slower than the other 2 mangas (Which make a much better use of the panels).
-One Piece's main character's nakamas kick ass more often than not, while Ichigo's nakamas with exception of Rukia (in other words Chad, Inoue and Ishida) are embodiments of Krillin and thus get screwed hard most of the times.

Wrong. There's a reason he's called "Titty Kubo"...

True. He loves big boobs even more than Oda (Who sports a fetish for bee waists and big tits). Unlike Kishimoto whose fetish are emo teenager boys.

Yet despite the huge amount of breasts there is, pantyshots are almost completely absent on Bleach :confused:. Too bad because i greatly prefer asses over big tits (Hell, small tits are even cute as fuck if the girl is short).

Last edited: