What's new

OOC Comments and General Discussion Thread

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: OOC Comments and General Discussion Thread

About time, you. Course, RL happens, we all know this, but at least we can now start poking Siphon instead of you.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Added an image for meh ship, for better visualisation, and one for size comparison. (at bottom off character thread thingy.)

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Feel free to keep going without constant posts from Ariana, at least till she has more to reply to. I'll do my best to keep Jortis busy, at least. XD

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Just so you know what all the silly marks and brackets are about, I've been using a few improvised 'tags' to mark out different kinds of speech. Hopefully they have been clear enough, but they are...

"Normal speech"
'Thoughts'
<"Telepatic speech"> (Using Ayla's guide abilities. No one else would hear this unless mentioned specifically.)
"{Speech in another language}" (Namely Etherian)
"Speech broadcast over coms"

I can adjust them if we ever want to have a more standardised scheme.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Nah, seems to work for me, at any rate, Squid. I do seem to recall using the underlines for radio communication in the last game we were running around in, so seems to work.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yeah the underlines have been there for quite some time. I've changed it up slightly though when dealing with different species considering it can get a little confusing at times.

On the whole though, your system works perfectly.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Oh cool. The choice to use underlines is a convenient fluke then. : D

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I think your formula is one I'm going to be using Squid, pretty well works, so I'll try to keep with the theme.

Edit:

Text appearing as such: "Insert Here" shall be reserved for Symbiote speech or telepathic connections from my own characters. Text in Italics appearing without quotation marks are mere internal thoughts.

Last edited:

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

A very minor and generally inconsequential note...

I don't know if anyone was paying enough attention to raise an eyebrow at it or not, but I just realised that in that image I did about Sinnve's golem, I somehow made the mistake of having it's height stated at an utterly ridiculous 300 meters. That should read as about 5.4 meters, and I think I'll go fix that now. Please do not, imagine a 300 meter tall mecha thing fighting Jaffa, because that would be a scene too retarded for words. >_>;

That is all.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Somewhere...

Somehow...

A crackfic is born...

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Retarded maybe. Amusing? Most definitely.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Since it's your charrie's head about to be domed, I defer next post in the Planetside to Squid, though Ian's first instinct would be to stop the pole. Feel free to borrow that, if you don't think your boy'd be out of the way in time.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I somehow missed this when I came to posting actually, but Thanus is fine anyway. Takes more than a weary prisoner with a stick to threaten that guy. : )

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I figured as much, but also figured I'd make the offer.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Requesting another name change for my gangs ship? >_>;

I've been poking about at fleshing out some of the other ships and constructs in Etherian lore lately. Just some personal fun, most of which I doubt will have reason to feature in this. Giving them all names, thinking over abilities, and rebalancing the statistical stuff I've been giving them. But one thing that did stand out was that I've been giving all the specifically named ships "Etherian names". As in, not using English words, other than in a translated sense. And the Aurora now sticks out as the odd one out.

I came up with 'Al-Sora' as an alternative new name, which could even translate to Aurora in this case. An odd coincidence perhaps, but I thought keeping the word to something that sounds similar would be helpful in avoiding excess confusion.

The ship class would still be 'Solace', since I've not bothered coming up with "non-translated" names for all the ship classes yet.

I thought I should mention my name switching indecisiveness and intentions here, before simply throwing a new ship name at the game and confusing everything. ^_^;

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

That works, though as you said if it can translate to "Aurora" anyway, then perhaps the translation program (yes there is one even if you don't know it!) would automatically name it that to English, and return it vice versa.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I can't imagine any auto translation programs for Etherian would be very good yet, given how little the universe has been exposed to it, and that they scarcely ever speak it around non Etherians anyway, but sure. I'll start using Al-Sora from now on then.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I figured Siphon would have been around Elissia enough to pick up at least enough to get a workable program going. Wouldn't be perfect, but for most casual conversation and the like it'd be enough to get the gist in and fill in the blanks.

I also kinda evisioned that most if not all the characters from your side probably learn English quickly and just normally speak in it anyway, and translate certain words without thinking about it.

On a side note, I'll try to update later tonight. It's been a LONG day.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Need just a little clarification on where people will be heading now. Starting to get mixed up. So the team is splitting up into two groups now then? One with Marik, and the rescue Jaffa squad, and the rest are staying together to head for the shield generators/go after Nirrti? Or is it something else?

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

First part yes, second group is heading topside.

I THINK I had Nirrti kinda dead on the floor since Vanessa kinda killed her, but maybe I forgot to add that. I'll have to go back and check in a bit, I've been swamped with stuff today.