What's new

OOC Comments and General Discussion Thread

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: OOC Comments and General Discussion Thread

Once again, I'll be heading away for an extended stay this weekend. I leave Thursday morning for Boston and will be gone until sometime Monday night, so game'll have to carry on without Sho and Ian for the time being, though I'll make it a point to keep an eye on what's going on tonight and tomorrow.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Alrighty, we'll find ways of keeping it going without ya :D

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Not going to do much with Ian, since he's off fetching Tokra at the moment, so whenever you'd like to work him back in, go for it.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Finally got my post in. Sorry about the delay. I've been pretty much out of all my RPs over the last month, with the exception of Rules which I got just enough in to not hold up everyone else in it.

Have lost track of what's going on in the other threads a bit now. ^_^;

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Made a picture to measure scale. Because I was curious. Perspective makes the gate look just a little lower at it's centre than if it were a straight on shot.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Can just hear it now. "First time I've ever seen something *stoop* through the gate."

Also, Sho's likely following Ariana in, but that's about *all* she's doing, save looking around, so if you want to keep going with the narration, go for it and I"ll post accordingly after.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I love Ian. He is, perhaps, the most laid back character *ever* with the exception of maybe Simon. Frantic bleeding woman who just *happens* to be an Ancient? Doesn't bat an eye and offers her a band-aid. (Not literally, but you get the picture.)

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Going to be gone from about 5 hours from now until later tomorrow, possibly until Wednesday, just a heads up.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I wrote a piece describing Etherian personal energy weapons, and don't really have anywhere else to put it. So may as well drop it here. I tried to hold back with the jargon, though as always it probably might not the most straight forward reading due to how unconventional this Etherian "tech" is.

Thinking again about the situation in the lab, I have got myself wondering whether it would have been a better idea to simply have someone try shooting at the Klarnel and it's exposed noggin first. Before all this fisty cuffs stuff.

Aser Pistol / Light Personal Aser Weapon
Aser Pistols are the standard issue ranged side arm for Etherian Knights and most other Order personnel. All are capable of two firing modes. A short ranged non lethal stun shot, and a readily lethal longer range Aser beam shot. Another common model is one that features only the stun shot. Whilst short range, losing power at about 20 meters, the stun shot is special in how it ignores all intervening matter in it's path, impacting only living organic beings. Clothes, armour, walls, solid earth, and energy fields (excluding AT fields), are all passed through without effecting the shot. The stun shot drains little energy to fire.

The Aser beam firing mode, is entirely different. Firing a straight unerring beam of inverted aether out to ranges a little beyond one hundred meters. Beyond this range the beam rapidly fades out and disperses. The effect of the highly concentrated Inverted Aether upon virtually all forms of matter, is to cleanly negate and remove it from normal space. The special properties and resiliences of most materials are bypassed by this type of damage, with the greatest effect on an Aser weapons performance being the density of the matter struck, and the overall energy level of any energy field struck. When striking a living organic target, Aser weapons are specially designed not to over penetrate, instead dispersing their extraneous energy through the victims body, causing a broader immediate wound area, and commonly resulting in a stunning effect, different than but not too dissimilar to the shock of being shot by a more conventional weapon. The Aser beam shot mode is highly energy draining meaning that the number of shots any one pistol can make are relatively limited. The power and energy level of an Aser beam can be adjusted however.

All personal Aser (and etheric stun) weapons carry a small energy reservoir to fuel their shots. A conventional Aser pistol at full capacity can make roughly 30 full powered Aser shots, or 300 stun shots before requiring recharging. Switching to a lower power rating for the Aser beam can extend the number of shots possible. Aser pistols recharge themselves constantly by drawing ambient energy from their surroundings. This process however is incredibly slow in most locations, and not something that can be relied on to make a difference during a combat. Appropriately skilled users or technicians can also actively recharge the weapons using their own energies.

One particular variant of the Aser Pistol, is the type carried by Etherian Knights. Lacking the energy reservoir for more compact transportation within a Knights personal subspace inventory. Knight grade pistols instead draw their energy entirely from the Knights own considerably greater energy reserves. The weapons still operate at the same power levels due to limitations in the weapons size, but effectively allow for an unlimited number of shots, provided the Knight can spare the energy.

Personal Aser weapons do exist in other sizes and roles, but are rarer. Extended fire-fights involving regular infantry squads are not a thing common to Etherian military history or tactics.

Last edited:
OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Haha, you know I didn't even think about that being possible when I posted that. Of course, this thing has another trick or two up it's sleeve still. Given how that weapon seems to work though, my guess is a single shot won't be enough to put one of these guys down.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Yeah. Peaceful visit to the Nox or not, these Knights always have their weapons (and sometimes armour and other gear) safely hidden down their sub-dimensional sleeves. So to speak. The main reason that Thanus opted to face a giant unknown alien in unarmed combat rather than using his gun, is that he's normally actually more dangerous that way.

Also fixed/edited a line where I'd forgotten to mention their mechanism for helping to avoid over penetration (and improve on an otherwise tiny wound). Otherwise they'd be a pretty questionable weapon regarding putting holes in things behind the target.

"When striking a living organic target, Aser weapons are specially designed not to over penetrate, instead dispersing their extraneous energy through the victims body, causing a broader immediate wound area,"

Also also...
Not particularly relevant to the RP itself again, but I just enjoy making these things, and it's fun to share them.

Another type of Golem used by Etheria.
A size comparison and some fluffy text about stuff.

Last edited:

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I have been strongly resitting using the word 'soul' in anything in this RP for a good while now. Last post broke that. But they're are Etherians after all. Not sure how long I thought that would last anyway.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

No worries on that, Squid. It's a part of the character, after all. As for the next scene, Sho's just as likely to book as to beam. Gotta love a bit of tailwind, heh. More than likely, she'll run back to the shuttle she, Aya, and Siphon showed up on, which is probably the closest. Might be best if the unconscious one gets beamed out, along with whomever's carrying her. My two cents on the matter, at least for the time being.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

So, before I do anything dramatic, they have radios, right? Or some sort of communication device? Then again, calling down the thunder (literally) seems like it might be a good idea at this point.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

This time they do! Communication stones basically. And yeah I imagine Sho will be using some lightning soon.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Oh man, of course they would. How did I overlook that. I might edit out that odd psychic message then, if people aren't posting already. It wouldn't really make sense to do such a thing if they can just chat normally. >o>

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Sho's a wind-witch, not like Storm, though I can see her manipulating weather conditions to make for lightning strikes.

Good to know.

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

For reference: Sarnael's rifle about 5 feet long, has only a pistol grip for carrying, and probably weighs at least half a ton. Then there's the blade at the end of the barrel.

The ones that were carried by the hunters that Sarnael called in to sweep are only about the size of a modern assault rifle, but weigh about the same as one of the Jaffa Staff Cannons that are normally mounted on the Death Gliders. Same basic design, though.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Big big gun. '-'

So (for helping me to picture the size of it), it's about as long as a this "Boys" Anti Tank Rifle, and over 30 times as heavy. Presumably larger in general dimensions also. Plus a blade?

Probably might as well mention that Mariks special aser weapon (the one he just used) is also roughly five foot in length, though also can retract and extend just over a foot in either direction. Is probably around the same weight as the WWII gun pictured.

Another misc note, for fun, is that if Sho actually can mess with the air in a way to encourage lightning strikes, Marik would then be able to use his ability to manipulate electrical currents to work as a sort of lightning rod ability. The catch however, is that his skills in that area are still so rudimentary that he could only make himself the lightning rod, rather than actually calling it down at any useful of safe distance.

Probably not the most likely tactic to be useful, but hey, you never know? :V

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Sometimes, in a pinch, you do what you have to do. And it might take some doing, but Sho might be able to recreate "heat lightning" conditions or something to that effect. Like I said, she's not exactly on par with Storm when it comes to creating weather out of the blue, but changing fronts and temperature manipulation, that she can do.