What's new

Pokemon go

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score
Re: Pokemon go

Honestly, while that's happening in some places, its not as widespread as you would think.

I till think this is a good thing. (mostly because I'm motivated to walk and exercise now)
Oh I mean in my area. I don't think it's the same in other states. My mistake should've put that on my posts in the future.

OP
autizboyz

autizboyz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

So i heard there are a rumor about phishing in pokemon go, idk if its just a hoax to make the game look bad or what but in my country that rumor spreading so fast that people will think twice to actualy download the game.

Opinion?

Lurker_01

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

So i heard there are a rumor about phishing in pokemon go, idk if its just a hoax to make the game look bad or what but in my country that rumor spreading so fast that people will think twice to actualy download the game.

Opinion?
If you download from the play store and use basic precautions in real life afterward, there is nothing to "fear".
If you do have resort to not official sources then do have in mind that some leaked copies are not legit through, although i would believe the top downloaded ones would be legit for the usual top websites.

edit: yes, i know i sometimes eat words or spell it weirdly, i changed some things that make it look better.

Last edited:

Cappy

Reputation score

I think you slightly missworded that Lurk, but I think I've gathered the idea all the same. I was very surprised to find out GO was available here in South Africa, where in the mildest township/ghetto the crime is worse than in the worst part of America. (Possibly a mild exaggeration)

I mean, townships pretty much operate a lot of the time by illegally taking power through a bunch of illegitimate connections, and if anybody tries to mess with it the grid is designed in such a way they have to do it in person. Large groups of police, couldn't stop the lynchmob waiting to protect their illegal power usage, so yeah. Ghettos here be scary. The Voltorb just isn't worth it. AND YET I FIND MYSELF DESIRING A SMART PHONE ALL OF A SUDDEN

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

They're lying to you, you can't catch any of the legendaries, lol.
i was gonna say that.

Also, went roaming around the dog* park again, actually made friends this time. Met another dog :'D

Last edited:

H.A.C.K.

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The game, finally, arrived in my country two days ago (I know I could have gotten it through other means, but I kind of just decided to wait for it to be officially released)
I wasn't able to play it much the first day, but yesterday I joined a group of friends to go out looking for pokemon...unfortunately the server went out that day...But before that happened I catched my first pokemon, a Sandshrew :D
I was so sure that my first pokemon would be a caterpie or a ratata or something like that.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well, it seems to be based of the amount of cellular activity in an area as to how many and exactly how rare pokemon found are. Much like the other game by the same company (which can even be used to give you an idea of where you should be hunting).

That said, we've got a couple pokestops that are close together in a nearby town. A couple of friends (one was nice enough to lend me an on-network mobile device, and an account) threw lures on both and the pokemon just came streaming in, I jumped from level 1 to 7 in around 2 or so hours. So it seems like they have put in some measures to help people in low cell activity areas.

The only hurdle I see for the game is that if you aren't starting now, you're going to have a hard time doing anything other than catching pokemon untill you've managed to get to the general level of the gym leaders in your area. Which will take a larger and larger investment of time the longer you wait... Oh! And there are going to be pokemon you want very badly spawning in places you can't go without trespassing :(

P.S. They also need to fix the damn tracking and radar, I spent about an hour trying to catch a ghastly with no luck. Did get a nidoking and a dewgong though :)

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

P.S. They also need to fix the damn tracking and radar, I spent about an hour trying to catch a ghastly with no luck. Did get a nidoking and a dewgong though :)
My coworker told me that the GPS signal currently is completely bonkers. At least here in Austria, all Pokemon nearby always show "three feet distance", no matter what you do. According to that same coworker (at least for Europe I guess), this big bug has been announced to be taken care of the latest as of August 1st.

On a sidenote: I finally got myself my very first smartphone! Hooray! It took me some fiddeling with nano-sized cards and logging in/registrating on various providers pages, but finally, for the first time, I breathe smartphone air. Woooooow~! Second app I ever installed on a smartphone: Pokemon GO!

Not even being a trainer for 24 hours yet, I think I can confirm super_slicer's comment regarding the chance and rarity of Pokemon popping up.

Well, it seems to be based of the amount of cellular activity in an area as to how many and exactly how rare pokemon found are.
In the morning hours - shortly after my smartphone and I were set - I took a "short walk" (felt like 30min, actually was 1 1/2 hours *POKEMON MAGIC*) around my town, and bumped into what I expected to bump into: basic, non-super worm and insect Pokemon (even though my Pokemon knowledge is ooooold from the '90s). In those 90 minutes, I used a lucky egg and that fog/smoke twice, leading to 60min of most effective strolling. And while the experience points earning was surely appreciated, I didn't stumble upon anything special nor into quite an amount of Pokemon, and mostly it was the same basic ones over and over again.

However today, I took my smartphone to work for the first time. I didn't have the game running during work, as I'm quite pragmatic regarding "first work, then fun". But when I took a short break along with two coworkers, I walked out of the office building for a few meters, and instantly three different Pokemon - all unknown to me - popped up. And a lot more Pokemon kept popping up during this one day at the office. And back at my hometown, there's almost nothing showing up.

Seeing how probably half my company now is hunting Pokemon, I do think that slicer's theory of "the more, the merrier" is true, as Pokemon showed up constantly at work, while at my hometown, there's almost no activity at all.

(not I grew up with, but this is an english forum, so there you go ^^)

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Untill the radar's fixed I don't see any reason not to use these:

Little wonky, but it's better than the broken parts of the app. That said, I would much rather HUNT them down than know where they are and go straight to them.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'ma just drop this off here:

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

aaaah, i spent four hours outside in the heat today an caught 9 gastlys. Aaand a small sunburn lol

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I can't bring myself to play it. I love the concept, and I could surely use the excersize, but... Idunno, it's just not pokemon enough for me. Replace the cp and tap battles with the old style, and I'd probably get more into it.

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

"That's big dick bee!" :D

Replace the cp and tap battles with the old style, and I'd probably get more into it.
Since my coworkers constantly blabber about Pokemon GO, I heard that there has been a huge amount of complaints regarding the combat system. Especially the fact that, if you have your pokemon use a special attack, the damage tends to be the same or less than simply doing basic attacks instead. That, and the overall battle concept of just "tapping til they're dead." With the duelling system coming up, they might at least tweak the current combat system, but I doubt there will be a change to turn-based battles.

In the meantime, I've been playing here and there. I only went out on a stroll for Pokestops twice I think. Instead I got my supplies during break at work, when a coworker and I would drive the same Pokestop-happy route through town for half an hour. Very rewarding, and very comfortable (=lazy) way to get pokeballs and stuff. :p
And tonight, I'm gonna meet up with him at a bar after work, where there are three pokestops practically in the same spot. So we will sit down, use modules, smoke and those double-EXP-eggs a few times to get as many pokemon as possible, while sitting and drinking.

"Running around to catch Pokemon and visit Pokestops? Naaah that's too exhausting. We'll just sit here and let them come to us instead." :p