What's new

Risky Business (Marie)

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Risky Business (Marie)

"Oh, I see." The countess said as her smile returned. "I normally wouldn't trust Attila in such matters, but one makes do with the assets they have. It is good that you are cautious it may help to keep me grounded in reality. I have a tendency to get into trouble with the locals as I have already said."

The countess moved to the bed and sat down before pointing out a chest in the corner. "Attila seemed quite adamant upon bringing my chest of clothing upstairs when he heard we were staying. He mentioned it was by your order, so I did not feel the need to change the order. Flattery will get you far and yet I think you overlook your own talents. Have you not noticed that mortal and kindred alike seem to be drawn to you even if I am near. Still it is an excellent start and similar to my own."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Ah, yes. I suppose I did. He was being insolent and needed to learn that his sarcasm would not get him out of hard work." Close enough to what happened, without the need for a blow by blow. "I suppose I have a lot of experience with people, just not at this level. We got all kinds at the inn. I always tried to make things run smoothly, but how that was achieved depended a lot on the type of person that came in that night."

Marie sighed reflexively and found a place to sit, with a flop. Just for a moment, as there was definitely going to be work to be done before the night was over regardless of if she could start snooping just yet, but a break as she thought out the details would not hurt. "I suppose if need be I can be more imposing, it just seems like the best way to get things done is to use as little effort as possible. Mind you, I am not a lazy girl, but it just seems best to save strength for when it is truly needed." It was a good case for her own stewardship skills. Maybe a humble-brag, but at the same time Marie really did want to impress upon Erzsebet that the direct route wasn't always the best one.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"I suppose there are benefits to caution but I'm not sure if I could ever act so cautious myself. I am and always have been a woman of action, I take what I feel is mine. After all what is the worst that can happen, I am already dead after all." The countess said as she laid back and pretended to laze upon the bed for a moment. It did not take long before she was back on her feet however the familiar sign of obsession in her eyes once more.

"I certainly don't mind the idea of being a distraction though if you would rather be the snoop. We'll have to arrange for the horses to be lame which I can handle, just in case some of the locals get to nosy. The only question is where should we begin our snooping?"

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie could think of several bad things that could happen, and was actually quite appalled at how careless Erzsebet now seemed. In line with caution, though, it didn't exactly seem wise to poke at her too hard about it. Being more careful could be achieved whether Erzsebet was thinking about it or not. The though of using her diplomacy on her new patron so quickly actually almost made Marie laugh, but thankfully her emotions canceled out.

"I am sure someone around here knows something about the healer, and can be convinced to part with such information. Some people probably know more than others, of course." Marie's best lead was definitely Robert, but no need to worry the noble about that right now. Worst case scenario peasants could be pumped for information as well. All of this was best left to her delicate touch. "I think I can work quickly. In the time it takes you to arrange things with our horses I will probably have most everything I need. You can probably relax in some high profile location and merely bask in attention for an extra hour or so after that for good measure." No doubt Erzsebet enjoyed that type of thing, and it would keep her busy and out of trouble. "Given how much we have already done, this is probably left to tomorrow. We will sleep through the day with the excuse that the fact that we are going to be late is so traumatic it took a lot out of us." Marie waved her hand dismissively at the lame joke. It would play into peasants' views of physically soft nobles though. "That leaves the last half of this night to wrap up loose ends, if need be." She quirked an eyebrow to Erzsebet, if her patron had anything she needed to do. Personally Marie thought it might be better now to retrieve her meal from before, if the girl had not been found already, to avoid making a scene and having the town be on edge during the later snooping.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"I suppose I can live with this plan if it will keep me out of trouble for a little while. Though I worry your inexperience among our kind might reveal our true goal in staying longer." The countess said as she once more stood and gathered her warm cloak. Her face still betrayed the hints of obsession making Marie doubt that she was truly worried. Yet she seemed to be going along with the plan so perhaps it was nothing to worry about.

"I will take care of the horses before finding a place to bask in the attentions of the locals. I have little doubt in your abilities but perhaps you have some question before leaving about your cover as my childe?" She asked after stopping near the door of their temporary haven.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Oh, if anything, I think it would make them less suspicious of me. A normal fledgling would be so blindingly obvious that they would just walk up and ask in plain language. How could one possibly have ulterior motives when they can barely feed themselves." Marie did giggle with sarcasm and gave Erzsebet a cute head tilt and smile like 'oh, how could cute little me possibly be a spy'.

"Well, I had figured I would simply respond to any questions saying you would prefer to answer them yourself, and direct such people to you." Marie didn't think there would be trouble, though it did make her beam a bit hearing again that Erzsebet was fine pretending that they were actually related. "It is a lot easier to simply avoid a question than to lie, I learned that at the inn too. I think it will be fine." On the cusp of starting the plan Marie suddenly felt a lot more eager. Even the best of plans could still make someone giddy.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Erzsebet laughed as Marie showed off her look of feigned innocence. "You have me convinced, my little kedvenc. Now to aid you in passing yourself off amongst mortals a little better."

The countess fastened a warm but well-made cloak around Marie's shoulders before leading the way from the room and the inn. The sleepy inn owner once more giving them a sleepy nod from behind the counter of the nearly empty room. They parted ways shortly thereafter the countess going to ensure that none would question their ruse with the horses and Marie heading off to check on the victim she had fed from.

Arriving at the small alley where she had recently fed Marie found the girl only just now waking. She looked about with a confused look on her face as though trying to piece together how she came to be lying on the cold ground. Aside from the confusion she did not appear any worse for her experience, in fact she seemed strangely satisfied judging by the dazed smile on her face.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie felt warm from more than just the coat. She had to focus to actually make her own heat now, if she cared to notice, but she found it oddly satisfying for Erzsebet to fuss over her. She had almost forgotten herself in such thoughts by the time she arrived at her destination.

"Oh, goodness me! You took a short tumble there. Are you alright?" Marie bent down to help the girl to her feet, or to sit up if she needed some time. Sometimes people did just pass out, after all. A dazed person probably wouldn't need much convincing anyway.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"I did...oh...I feel so lightheaded. Almost giddy. I guess I must have fainted." The girl said as Marie helped her to regain her footing once more. She looked around the empty street before her eyes focused on Marie as though she were trying to place her face. She was still obviously though a sudden smile of recognition spread as she said.

"Oh, yes. Now I remember we were looking for one of the town watchmen...but that seems like it was so long ago and I'm so cold. How long was I out, milady?"

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Not too long, really, but long enough I suppose that our task is now meaningless. The men at the inn have likely settled down by now." Marie gave a showy sigh. There was no need to continue with that particular deception, and indeed it would draw more unwanted attention too if they followed it. Thankfully the girl seemed willing to be distracted down another path.

"We should be worried about you know. Fainting is no laughing matter. Do you have a place to stay, to stay warm?" Marie was already thinking of how she might turn this girl into an asset, but first she had to know a bit more about her. Randomly abducting someone drew attention, which she didn't need. Hopefully she could find some middle ground depending on who exactly she'd picked out.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Oh, I'm sure it is nothing to worry about." The girl said as her demeanor suddenly changed. Her giddiness replaced with worry and alertness, she looked around once more as though she expected someone to be after her. She vainly tried to cover the change as she looked back towards the inn where she had met Marie and said.

"I hope it has not been too long, I was to meet my betrothed at the inn. Do you really think the men have stopped with their sinful behavior. I wouldn't want to miss my love."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

That could be a problem, but thankfully telling time was so unreliable that the word of one wouldn't case too much concern if this girl was indeed late. "It is probably safe, though with how much is going on lately who knows if he was on time himself. There sounds to be quite the commotion with the healer..." The small talk should be reassuring, and maybe she could dig out the peasant perspective this way too. "We can go back and check, and if he is not there look where else he might be." Handing her off to someone else was valid for avoiding suspicion, at the very least.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"My father did not seem to think much of the healer when I overheard him discussing it with mother. My fiancee does not quite see eye to eye with my father but he didn't think much of him either. I can hardly give much of an opinion myself though I know of many neighbors who have gone to hear him preach." The girl said as she looked towards the inn where they had met.

"I suppose I should at least go and look for him, though I doubt he would be late. You don't really need to accompany me if you would rather see the healer for yourself. He has a tent near the church where he preaches."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"No no, it is indirectly my fault for having you out here, I should at least see you back." Nothing particularly new, but even if she wasn't saying long getting a feel for the town this way at least built Marie's confidence. She had already seen how the people who were enthralled acted, maybe if they found others who were not they could have information as well. Assuming prince charming wasn't one of the thugs, that would be disappointing...

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Well I suppose I would feel better having someone I can trust with me." The girl still seemed worried about something as the pair began their walk back towards the inn. Marie was beginning to feel that though the girl seemed worried and paranoid that it had little to do with her. Perhaps she had simply managed to interrupt a couple attempting to elope, she had mentioned her father not being friendly to her betrothed after all.

Entering the inn they found the place more empty than it had been before, not surprising considering the hour. Of course the remaining men happened to be of the rougher and drunker sort, who immediately made some rather rude comments towards the pair. It was par for the course to Marie having worked at an inn forever, the girl however backed away and looked rather frightened.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Do you see him here? If so I would doubt you taste in men, hmmm?" Marie said this loudly, so that the crude men could hear her. Perhaps the transformation had make her less tolerant of their behavior, or perhaps the long night had been wearing on her nerves. Either way, she did not like that her charge shrunk back from them, though it was not her fault. This method of reassurance may not be the most subtle in nature, which Marie had just gone to great lengths to extol. It was also true that feigning weakness could open some doors if people thought you were not a threat, but Marie felt the need to also prove herself, and show she was not one to be intimidated. Especially by the likes of these men, though of course she would not reveal her nature.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"N-no, he's most certainly not one of them." The girl said her voice almost a whisper as she looked about the room. Marie's confidence did little to boost the girl's confidence, though she did seem to appreciate Marie's words. She tried to put on a brave face of course but she still remained very close to her companion's side.

Marie's voice did seem to have some effect on the men, or at least most of them. Some were far to deep in their cups to be cowed by a mere bit of bravado. Two of them seemed especially vulgar as they stood and made an incredibly crude gesture towards the women. It might have come across as threatening if they weren't so drunk that it brought a laugh from the room when they looked comical.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Well it has been awhile, perhaps he went elsewhere. I can see why." Marie coupled that with a distasteful glance towards the troublemakers. She actually wasn't looking to pick a fight, but she wouldn't ignore a challenge either. At the moment though it seemed more likely these idiots would trip over their own feet if they tried to cross the room.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The drunken men who had shown their boorishness certainly seemed to grow angry at being shown up, and yet they did nothing more than sit back in their chairs. Their anger changing to more of a chastened look as the laughter of their peers filled the room.

"I suppose you're right. There is one other place that he might be, though." The girl said with a nod. She did not immediately head for the door, instead waiting on Marie to make the move. She still showed little confidence of her own, yet she was obviously very impressed by the confidence Marie was showing. Looking towards the young vampire with a starry-eyed gaze as she hurled another clever retort towards the sots.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie smirked slightly, though in a way where she kept it to herself, and likely not even her companion would pick up on it. A small show of dominance was fine for now. Musing on the subject, though, she wondered why the personality shift was persisting. Before she snacked the girl had not been quite this skittish, and for a few seconds after waking up she had been quite fine, but this was quite the reversal...

"Well then, we will check there next." Marie's own confidence was indeed fine, though what particular words she should use to reassure were a bit outside her experience. She lightly led her charge back to the door with a hand on her shoulder, so lightly in fact that Marie hoped to feather her along of her own accord rather than lead at all. She did not mind having such a charge, but at the same time she was wary of clingyness, and how that might appear.