What's new

Risky Business (Marie)

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Risky Business (Marie)

Before anything else could happen Marie was startled by a thickly accented but alluring female voice no more than a few feet behind her. Even before turning Marie somehow knew that it was another like her and she felt the beast urging her to run.

"Speak then and introduce yourself, paraszt. Does your sire even know you are out here trying to ingratiate yourself amongst the nobility?"

Upon turning Marie would find herself facing a stunningly beautiful red head. Her dress and posture obviously set her apart as being of noble blood, though oddly she did not seem to be looking down her nose at Marie. Though the countess did stare at her with a rather inquisitive half-smile.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Ah, ummm, well...!" Marie's reaction was largely instinctual, though within seconds she was once again on the defensive, trying to find something to put her back to. This was most startling, but she still would not trust Attila with anything more than a wooden spoon from the inn, if that! It might full well be her existing prejudices, but he still seemed like the most overt threat.

"Ah, no. Well yes. Maybe...." She still couldn't help but stumble over her words as she took in the magnificent scene in front of her. Despite the suddenness, and Marie's heightened senses, she could still appreciate the finery to a degree. The idea of a noble hiding as such was not entirely inconceivable, but it certainly wasn't a thought Marie had entertained when planning her moves tonight. It was also clear that this woman was definitely not out of her element, though at least her demeanor did not seem threatening. "I guess you can say I really am lost... I am just looking to get by as I can." It was pretty much the same story, just now more naked in truthfulness. Marie realized that might be a bad thing, but being caught off guard, there wasn't much she could do about it.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Despite being almost the same height as Marie the noblewoman's manner and confidence seemed to make her tower over the newly created vampire. A disarming smile spread across her pale face as she raised an appraising eyebrow at Marie. She suddenly turned to Attila, who seemed to shrink back, and with a dismissive wave in his direction announced.

"That will be all Attila. We will discuss your attempted indiscretions with my guest at a later time. Ensure the marha is prepared for departure."

The chastened bodyguard immediately bowed and hastened back into the inn without even so much as glancing towards the two vampires. Even more odd was the curious disappearance of the blonde girl as soon as Marie had spun to face the noblewoman leaving the pair alone in the darkness outside of the inn. Once the pair were completely alone the noblewoman's face snarled in an annoyed fashion as she looked down at Marie and asked.

"So tell me paraszt do you have a name? More importantly do you even know what you are? I warn you to explain quickly for my patience with the local cainites is running thin. If you are simply another of the prince's lackeys you may run and perhaps I won't decide to have you destroyed for your master's arrogance."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie relaxed for a moment, but it still felt as if much of her insides were caught in her throat. Attila leaving was a relief, to be sure, but she was almost literally not out of the woods yet. She still had to impress herself upon this new woman, and having to think on her feet was not something Marie could maintain forever. When the noble turned more ferocious Marie needed little prodding to shrink back a bit, even if she felt clearing up the misunderstandings would help.

"Prince? No, I have never met him. I, um... I am a barmaid... was a barmaid in a town a little ways from here. Not anymore I suppose. Ulfur did not tell me much... though I experienced first hand just what this new world has to offer... I could not stay there, for a few reasons, and now I have to..." Marie kind of trailed off, her plan not being developed enough to really relate out loud to another. She didn't know if this woman knew of Ulfur, but she didn't really know how to describe him, and it was true that he hadn't exactly given her a full course on the terminology of the night. For now, it would have to sate the noble's curiosity enough not to drive her off once more.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The noblewoman snorted indignantly as Marie explained her situation. The look of disdain in the woman's eyes as she slowly realized what the fledgling vampire was telling her made Marie wish to shrink back into some hole. Finally after a moment's contemplation the woman spoke, the disdain in her eyes crossing over to her voice. "Surely you cannot be admitting that you are one of Ulfur the black's too numerous childer. I would think the prince, as charming and nosy as she is, would have destroyed all such creature's by now. She pesters me about my Ventrue lineage, while allowing Caitiff to walk about unhindered."

The infuriated noblewoman's eyes came to rest on Marie's as the look of fury faded to a pleasant smile. Her words though obviously frightening came out in a pleasant honeyed way that seemed to suggest she was open to suggestions. "What a wonderful opportunity you present, a caitiff childe of one of the most wanted Cainite's in all of Christendom. What shall I do with you, little kedvenc? Hmm?"

Last edited:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie had been about ready to try and just slink back off, but the woman's rapid mood swings were throwing her off. She didn't know what was going on, but could gather a few clues. "Ummm, I could show you where he is, maybe?" After how he had behaved, Marie did not feel overly loyal to Ulfur by any means, though at the last second she did feel a bit of a twinge, as he did 'save' her in the first place, after all. "He's not too far, only a village away..."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The noblewoman looked aghast at Marie's offer for a moment before shaking her head in the negative. "Oh dear no. I am hardly the sort to go hunting for that sort of trouble. I am not the prince of this town nor will I be here long enough to worry about his presence. Though gifting you to the prince would certainly go a long way towards smoothing over the debts accrued to during my stay."

The woman smiled as she watched Marie's reaction to this before adding. "However I think I have a better idea for you, my dear. I might be willing to let you travel with me and aid me in adapting to your foreign ways. These lands are far different from my homeland of Hungary after all."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie couldn't hide all of the frown that formed at the thought of being 'turned over to the prince', and whatever that entailed. Marie had no trouble acknowledging the others' physical superiority, but she would rather just run again than become some kind of willing participant in her own sale into bondage. Her lips remained curled down as the woman revealed a few more things, such as the fact that she too was in a strange place and out of her element, if not so much and in a different way.

"You need to... adapt?" Marie's face finally changed, showing worried, cautious curiosity. She dare not outright ask if there had been trouble, though that now seemed to be implied. She radiated an inquisitive look, the woman clearly being of the talkative sort who would naturally elaborate. Knowing that was an easy skill to pick up at the inn. Marie could see how she might be useful, though not in the specifics, or how much, but it was very definitely not a good idea to state that aloud. Best to let others fill in blanks as they saw fit, as long as she wasn't being cast in too bad a light.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Yes, I need to learn to fit in more it would seem. The traditions of these lands are apparently much different from my own." The woman said as folded her arms in front of her chest before sneering and adding. "Hiding ourselves from the mortals rather than taking our place as true lords of the night is so distasteful but if I must then I must."

The woman turned and looked toward the village and inn for a moment before turning back and smiling. "But I forget you have no idea what I'm talking about do you? Why we don't even know each other's names. I am the Countess Erzsebet Arpad of Zágráb, and you my little kedvenc?"

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Ummm, I am Marie." Marie had the urge to argue, but it was easy to suppress. She quite liked this area, so it was only natural to defend it, but she did realize that she did indeed have absolutely no idea about the new world she had entered. Either way, arguing with the Countess would likely be unwise either way, though she couldn't help but comment a bit. Best to not appear to dull, as well. "I am not so sure how hidden they remain... There was quite the commotion at my village..." One night out of all her nights was hardly a trend, but the fact that Marie bumped into more of her kind so close to home probably meant there wouldn't be too much trouble finding even more. "And you found the Prince here, yes? And have a... carriage? It cannot be that bad, can it?" She struggled to remember where Erzsebe sent Atilla, though chided herself for being a bit bold. She still didn't know how much help she could be, but she would never know unless she cautiously asked. Erzsebe certainly had more resources than she did, with barely the clothes on her back to her name.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"A pleasure, Marie. Now if you'll just come with me, I can get you a...erm...more appropriate dress to wear for our trip. We can't have you going around frightening the mortals into abject submission it seems. Afterwards we can discuss how you can best help me in fitting in among the local nobles." Erzsebet said as she began to walk back towards the inn.

She did not slow, as though she simply expected for Marie to follow her down a narrow path through the brush. The path led behind the inn and before long the pair found themselves at a small clearing. A rather sturdy carriage of wonderful craftmanship waited, though no one else seemed to be around. The countess pointed to the carriage as soon as Marie caught up with her and said.

"I believe you should fit into one of my dresses, we can always get a better fitting one in the next town. I do realize that this may be a bit sudden but there is just something about that is so endearing. Even if you are caitiff."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

When Erzsebet's back was turn Marie once again did a curious frown, but proceeded after her. Marie admitted her dress was in a very sorry state, but she didn't think she would scare anyone like this. Maybe disgust with her indecency, as it was fraying a bit where it shouldn't, but Marie wondered if perhaps Erzsebet had broken some custom just recently in a dramatic fashion, such as feeding on someone openly. Marie didn't know if that was a problem, though she most definitely had tried to be discrete about it.

Something about her new nature let Marie slip down the quiet path easily, to the point she didn't question. Erzsebet was much more flustering, for a few reasons. Borrowing a dress from a Countess would be enough to make any serving girl blush, and Marie had to admit that being fussed over made her feel.. something, at least. She still had a few reasons to be nervous, not least of which because she didn't really know what these words Erzsebet kept using meant. She tried to ignore them, and dared not ask what they meant, simply hoping for the best.

"Ah, that is very generous of you." Marie had to at least acknowledge the courtesy, though. "You would allow me to change here?" So far she hadn't fumbled too hard. In general deference was the same to anyone higher, even if there were orders of magnitude difference in rank. Maybe, just maybe, Marie could allow herself now to think that she had made it. Erzsebet would not go through all this trouble if she was going to crack down on the smallest offense, so Marie bet she had some room to work with. This was harrowing, but eventually she would have time collect herself, and perhaps find a way to study whatever formalities her new kind had that she would have not learned as a mortal.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The countess stopped before the carriage door and waited while Marie joined her. A quick perusal of the newly made vampire and she looked around before calling out for Attila. Her servant or bodyguard obediently appeared from the other side of the carriage where he knelt before the pair. The countess ordered him to fetch a bucket of water from the well before turning her attention back to Marie.

"It would probably be best to change within the carriage, my dearest Marie. First though we should probably clean you up a bit, you are quite the mess as you will hopefully see."

The bucket of water having been retrieved Marie glanced at her reflection within. Giving a start as she noticed how much dried blood and dirt seemed to cover her face and neck, her dress was rather filthy as well. Now she understood what the countess had meant by scaring the normal people. As soon as Marie was finished cleaning herself, Erzsebet would open the door to the carriage and point to a trunk before withdrawing to allow Marie some privacy. The trunk held a number of dresses of varying style, from the truly ostentatious to the simple but beautiful. Though even the simple styles were beyond anything she had ever worn.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie grimaced a bit as the filth was cleaned from her. She had always liked being clean, even though such occasions to bathe properly were few and far between. Some level of dirt was unavoidable, but her present state was far, far from what even the most wretched man would consider acceptable. Yet, Marie hadn't been too terribly troubled by it. It was an odd feeling, and maybe in part thanks to her new condition. Marie didn't know whether to shiver from the cold water, or at the thought of these changes going on within her.

Above all, Marie wanted to be mindful not to cause too much fuss. The ability to relax might make her too lax, but the exhaustion was definitely real after having been in such a heightened state for so long. Surveying the dresses available, Marie decided not to pick anything too fancy, lest that somehow be an insult to her new patron. This mere choice was almost overwhelming alone, after all that had happened, so Marie very gently picked through the garments for something blue. It was one of her favorite colors, and hopefully that wouldn't be too much to ask. It should be nice, but not attract too much attention. Erzsebet's red should be more than gaudy enough to keep the focus on her, anyway. Marie did not take long to decide this, as she dare not keep Erzsebet waiting either before freeing up the carriage for other use...

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Marie eventually managed to find a suitable dress in the bottom of the trunk, and having changed within the confines of the carriage soon emerged. The dress actually fit remarkably well, perhaps a bit long but that would be something simple to fix.

Erzsebet smiled as Marie emerged and gave the young vampire an appraising look as she walked around her. Finally stopping once more at the beginning where she quickly called for Attila to finish loading the trunks. The servant immediately moved to accomplish this task hefting more than one of the heavy packages to the roof of the carriage at the same time. Marie was suddenly glad she hadn't had to deal with the apparent strength of the man earlier.

Erzsebet turned her attention back to Marie as she began to climb into the carriage. "Come my kedvenc, we shall make ourselves comfortable for the trip ahead. Paris awaits. I must say the dress suits you, probably better not to draw too much attention to yourself. Please make yourself comfortable and tell me how much you know about your new condition."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie savored the moment of calm while she could, free from having to think, then carefully placed herself into the carriage as well. "Well, I guess it started yesterday..." Even though it was so soon, Marie had trouble remembering the blow by blow herself, and took a second to decide in how much detail she would tell anyway, ever careful. "Ulfur, who it sounds as if you are familiar, had resided in the village as long as I can remember, and was something of a drunk, if harmless." Some facts were also hard to change after having seemed true so long, too. "Another showed up, Henri, and he and Ulfur fought, apparently. I got... caught up in the middle of it all. I think Henri tried to use me as bait, but Ulfur saved me." For that, Marie really was grateful, even if Ulfur had acted less than gentlemanly later. "After that, he sought to abandon me. It was only through a bit of persuasiveness that I managed to pry a little information out of him, namely the direction of the nearest town. The rest... I have had to figure out myself, such as the drinking blood, and the going into the ground..." Marie paused here, with a very slight shrug, looking at Erzsebet for a sign of whether this made sense or not, or if what little she thought she knew was widely off mark.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Once Marie had seated herself, Erzsebet ensured that the door to the carriage was securely fastened before seating herself nearby. With the door shut Marie noticed that the carriage was completely dark. Normally this would be rather unnerving yet seemed strangely safe to the beast within. Erzsebet said nothing as Marie told the bits of her story that she felt safe doing so, answering only once her guest was through.

"I suppose you could say I'm familiar with Ulfur, he's what our kind refer to as autarkis. Meaning he does not recognize the rule of the elders amongst our kind, he has sired many caitiff in his campaign of rebelliousness. This Henri was no doubt sent to destroy him by one of the local princes. A shame he did not succeed it might have saved you the embarrassment of your current status."

Marie felt the carriage begin moving from within the darkness as her companion stopped for a moment. It was a bit unnerving not being able to see her companion as Ulfur's words of warning about the city folk came to her.

"I see no reason to honey coat your situation, Marie. I would prefer to know where I stand in society if I lacked the proper fledgling hood and so I tell you as a potential friend. Being caitiff puts you on the lowest rungs of our society, if you are lucky you will find those sympathetic such as I. If not...well I'm sure you can imagine what I mean when I say you would not like it. I do hope we can become friends?"

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie blinked a few times, trying to adjust to the darkness, but no sense of urgency overtook her, so she settled into just mild annoyance at the lack of sight. Being driven in a carriage was something she got to do practically never, so there was enough to marvel at anyway. "Ulfur always had seemed nice enough. To some degree I think he just wanted to be left alone. Or maybe it was an act, I do not know. I was able to use it to my advantage though..."

She slouched back in her seat, relaxing, likely only the sound noticeable for Erzsebet. She let more slip, but still didn't want to be too free with her circumstances, so Marie changed the subject slightly. "I have no illusions about where I stand. It is not as if a barmaid has very high aspirations to begin with. I would be happy simply breaking even for awhile. A nice roof over my head, plenty of food, that sort of thing..." It was weird to say, after the changes, but the general concept was pretty much the same, vampire or no. "Who knows. I have never really left my village. Maybe just the adventure would be enough to tide me over for now." Marie knew she was probably being incredibly naive with her ideas, but it was as she said, a hope for a best case scenario. In many ways, just avoiding the worst case would be enough.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"It matters little to most of our kind where one came from, so much as what they have become. We still have our noble clans and our peasant clans just like the mortals we once were. At least you are already used to being from the lower class, or we could always pretend otherwise. Some prince's can be very spiteful towards the caitiff." Erzsebet said as they rode along the bumpy road for their next destination.

Despite the darkness within the carriage itself Marie found the ride to be quite enjoyable despite a slight yearning for the outdoors. There were a few nasty bumps here and there but it seemed her companion enjoyed her comfort judging from the soft cushioned seats and pillows. It almost made her want to pretend to be a noble if only for a little while.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Marie's lips shifted, thoughtful and slightly concerned, or annoyed even, that there was still and upper and lower distinction based on 'birth', such as it was, though she was indeed used to it. From the ragged state her body seemed to prefer now, and how Ulfur had acted, Marie assumed that she and her kind were not typically in the noble category. If Marie had ambition, it was a slow burn, and while she was happy to take anything she could get right now, she didn't particularly like the thought that she was always going to be destitute even if she worked hard at it. Sure, peasants did not rise to nobility, baring extreme circumstance, but Marie was a hard worker and it had made peasant life comfortable. She was pretty sure there was something in the Bible that hard work was rewarded, regardless of station in life. Or so she remembered having had it explained once, as she was neither literate nor particularly attentive to the particulars of the sermon. Perhaps it was her new form urging her on, but it might be time for that to change... the former of course. Marie had a feeling that the scripture was going to be the least of her concerns, at least for a long while.

"Well I will not go out of my way to cause trouble. I suppose there may be some degree of pettiness among some of higher stature, but I would hope anyone intelligent enough to hold such a position would not turn away a resource when one presented itself?" Marie dare not speak too ill of the concept. It was true that Erzsebet seemed to be happily taking her in, but she did not know the woman well enough to avoid catching her with a blanket if she cast it out too forcefully. "Like I said, I know it will not be easy, but I already know well how to earn my keep."