What's new

RobynChastity

Reputation score
titlelogo.png

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on a text-based dungeon crawler for the last 2 years called The Experiment. It's inspired by all the H-games I've played and loved following this forum for the last many years and involved many various themes and fetishes. It's nothing professional but everything in the game including the art was completed by myself which I'm pretty proud of.

The Experiment is a Rogue-lite dungeon crawler which I started developing to teach myself programming and improve my art skills in illustrator. In this game you play as someone who signs up for (or doesn't sign up for) experimental testing and finds themselves transformed into a woman and traversing a number of lewd tests. Each of the tests involves its own theme and fetishes and will have you navigating dungeons, investigating rooms, and ultimately trying to find the escape. Every test involves some degree of random generation so every run attempt will be different.

As you move between and investigate rooms there is a chance you will run into an encounter that will test one or more of your stats (willpower, intellect, strength, agility) using a d100 roll. Encounters have the potential to deal damage to either your characters Health (physical) or Resistance (sexy). When Resistance drops to 0, your character will orgasm which results in a semi-permanent lasting negative status and a small health loss. If Health reaches 0 your character passes out and you are returned to the main staging area where you can spend upgrade points on improving your stats or unlocking skills and spend credits on purchasing one-time use gear for your next attempt.

The game is free and always will be free and its something I feel is now in a decent state to advertise the larger h-game community. Development is pretty much done but there is still a number of art scenes I would like to add before I finish development. You can find a link to the tfgamessite page where its posted below.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy!

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Thread moved to the Under Construction section.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Thread moved. Thank you for the update.

OP
RobynChastity

RobynChastity

Reputation score
Bumping my own thread because version 2.2.0 is finished and uploaded.

Jingu

Reputation score
I actually really liked this, for a free game. Very solid, I hope you keep making more. Good mix of fetishes and gameplay elements. I enjoy the defy/accept thoughts mechanic, and really like that there are achievements, more games should do that.
But there's one major problem: performance. It's simple text and images, I expect my commands to register and the page to update in a tenth of a second max; this is especially important as I repeat tests, aiming for the diamond medalist chevo. CoC and TiTS, even DoL are much faster than this. As I played, I noticed it getting worse and worse, it was bearable waiting for a noticeable chunk of time at the beginning, but now it takes over three full seconds to update every time I click an action, even if the result is the standard "investigation failed" message. Also when I save to file, the result is 1.1 megabytes, and both firefox and chrome refuse to load it.
It'd also be nice if it had hotkeys, just something simple like click a number to select an action.
Also, I'm pretty sure I found all five statues (one of the caves on the third level, statuary, habitation deck lobby, promenade, and garden), but I didn't get the achievement for it.

OP
RobynChastity

RobynChastity

Reputation score
I actually really liked this, for a free game. Very solid, I hope you keep making more. Good mix of fetishes and gameplay elements. I enjoy the defy/accept thoughts mechanic, and really like that there are achievements, more games should do that.
But there's one major problem: performance. It's simple text and images, I expect my commands to register and the page to update in a tenth of a second max; this is especially important as I repeat tests, aiming for the diamond medalist chevo. CoC and TiTS, even DoL are much faster than this. As I played, I noticed it getting worse and worse, it was bearable waiting for a noticeable chunk of time at the beginning, but now it takes over three full seconds to update every time I click an action, even if the result is the standard "investigation failed" message. Also when I save to file, the result is 1.1 megabytes, and both firefox and chrome refuse to load it.
It'd also be nice if it had hotkeys, just something simple like click a number to select an action.
Also, I'm pretty sure I found all five statues (one of the caves on the third level, statuary, habitation deck lobby, promenade, and garden), but I didn't get the achievement for it.
Hey, thanks for this and I really appreciate the review! So I learned partially through development that the system I'm using (Harlowe) is awful for performance as it re-generates every single variable every single page. It blew me away and really caught me offguard since my game being incredibly small file-wise, i just never thought it would be an issue. As this was my first ever project I did a very VERY poor job optimizing variables and when I learned how poorly this was affecting performance I did several optimization passes to reduce things down and make it more manageable (originally it was at like ~700 variables but now its more like 450). That being said it sounds like it wasn't enough so I'll see if I can dig into the backend and figure out ways to condense the variables down even further without breaking my spaghetti.

Again thank you so much for your comments and even taking the time to play my game! I'll check out the bugs you mentioned and (yes those are the 5 statues) and see if i can get things better optimized.

OP
RobynChastity

RobynChastity

Reputation score
Bumping my own thread again as version 2.3.0 is now out. No gameplay update but fixed a few bugs and removed a lot of outstanding variables to improve late game performance. Will likely do another round of optimizations after I've had a chance to playtest further and stress test the system.

OP
RobynChastity

RobynChastity

Reputation score
Bumping my own thread for the last time since I just posted another update. Likely one of the last updates now since I'm now working on a new project.