What's new

[Complete - Full] SEQUEL awake: in english, on your screen, right now (RJ223237)

Kratoscar2008

Reputation score
Offtopic Discussion - Game discussion in Translation section
the third girl looks different imo.
The rumor its that's 6 characters so she being there doesn't means the remaining 3 aren't the ones I posted.
A shame that we won't have someone as thicc as Asylum protag.
Ps: Well the newest girl isn't in that pic so yeah not all the girls might make it.
God hope the big brown girl is one though.

Last edited:
OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
whoa super_slicer went on a massacre here while I wasn't looking

I'm popping in to inform everyone that I'm planning to update the patch of SEQUEL awake. Here's the reasons why.

Errors & consistency
There is a small list of known issues in the OP which I will fix. In addition, now that I've tidied up some crummier (read: bad) translations of item lore and such, I want to make the same changes for awake.

I'm still open for bug and typo reports.

Colored text
In awake I used blue, green, and red text in certain dialogues. This was an attempt to convey an unusual tone or intonation without using different words or spellings for them. If I'm remembering correctly, in all these cases the Japanese used katakana to create an effect of stilted or unnatural or otherwise just "off" speech. Now that I have the technology to do so, I want to change these bits to use italics or bold instead.

Yanie's scenes with Faerie Medicine
This is a sister to the colored text problem. Originally, these scenes used a lot of hiragana with words that would typically be spelled with kanji. This creates a feeling of childishness--of pronouncing things a little bit wrong, that sort of thing. In awake, this was lost in translation.

What I would love to do is use a slightly "childish" font for these (not comic sans though), but it's unfortunately unfeasible. The reason is that Yanie uses the player's name which can have all sorts of wacky characters in it, and I'm never going to find a font that supports all of them. And far be it from me to remove the player's option to call themselves {✰<3;✰} if they so desire.

Kuruha
There is a small but very noticeable tic in Kuruha's speech that was completely lost in translation. She tends to use the colloquial ホント [honto] (notably spelled with katakana) instead of 本当 [hontou]. It doesn't make any huge meaningful difference--both words are more or less analogous to the English word "really", but in speech the last vowel is often dropped out. I'm thinking of using an italicized "really" for this.

I think there was something else too, but I can't remember what it was right now.

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
Since you're going to update the Awake patch, I'd like to point out two small mistakes I noticed after you had paused with the corrections previously.
First is in the Arm Skill "Bestow Life", where it is written "hp", instead of being properly capitalized.
ErrorShouldbeHP.png
The second is in the description of the Greataxe weapon, where there is a stray "go" in between "cannot" and "cut".
ErrrorCannotgoCut.png
I believe those are in the most recent version of the patch you released, but if I'm wrong, then I apologize.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
SEQUEL awake patch has been updated to version 1.0.2a , which is hopefully the final one. I am ready to let go now; I can't keep on tweaking the thing forever. It is what it is, and the larger issues in character tones that can get a bit spotty aren't fixable through tiny tweaks.

You can continue to report issues and I'll probably keep track of them in the OP, but unless critical ones come up I don't see myself updating the SEQUEL awake patch again. I can let go of things, I swear, I just need to get the final final final final final patch for blight out too.

Changes:
  • 1.0.2b: undid the Timberkin enemy name change
  • Some reported and non-reported typos and unintentionally omitted words in sentences have been fixed.
  • Kuruha's skill Transcendence I now has a correct description
  • A lot of monster/item lore entries have had the worst translationese shaved off.
  • Item lore entries should now always be separated from the description by a single line break instead of sometimes there being two
  • Replaced instances of *emphasis* with italicized emphasis now that the technology exists (loanwords didn't get italicized because I can't regex search for them)
  • The "dragonfly monster" type has been renamed to the "odonate monster" type, and some dragonfly monster names have been adjusted (explained in depth below)
  • A small fabrication has been added to the "Nekonchu" monster lore (explained below)
  • The monster "Aenyuras" is now named "Aennulus" and the monster "Searavager" is "Searubbish" (former names were mistaken)
  • If you downloaded 1.0.2 in the seven minutes it was available, the only thing different in 1.0.2a is that three item descriptions were missing a linebreak

Dragonflies
Let's be clear: in a vacuum, "odonate monster" is not a very good type, as it probably requires the player to google what it even means: 'predatory insect of the order Odonata ; a dragonfly or damselfly'.

The problem comes from multiple pieces of monster lore acting as though the connection between dragonflies and dragons is strange. In Japanese, the word 蜻蛉 [tonbo] has no draconic connotations and refers to both dragonflies and damselflies (ie. the order Odonata), so it's not out of the place to wonder why these tonbo monsters resemble dragons. In English, this isn't the case--the dragon-dragonfly connection is obvious. I wanted to address this disconnect, and "odonate monster" is the best way to fix the problem I could think of. To facilitate this change in nomenclature, I adjusted the monster name ドラゴンフライ [doragonfurai] 'Dragonfly' to 'Drakefly' so that the disconnect is not straight at your face.

In addition, the odonate monster "Timberkin" is now "Bauholzartig" for reasons unrelated to the type name change. The monster name ティンバーキン [tinbaakin] 'Timberkin' was again good in a vacuum, but the lore posed a problem. It mentions that a part of the monster's name contains mysterious words from records of the adventurers of old, and it's doubtful if they hold any meaning. Of course, for an English reader, the words aren't mysterious at all. So I slammed "timber" into a German dictionary and read an article about German suffixes and called it a day. It's now mysterious (as long as you don't speak German) and of dubious meaning. Hooray. I have no respect for the German language. It turns out the "mysterious words" reference wasn't lampshading the nonsense English name, but once more a reference to Atline. Change undone in 1.0.2b.

Nekonchu
Regardless of entry in the series, the first sentence of Nekonchu lore states: ネコンチュは猫人と書く, literally 'Nekonchu is written 猫人'. I now have In the ancient era, "Nekonchu" was written with the characters for "cat" and "person".

You'll notice that I made the fabrication "in the ancient era". There are two reasons for it. The first one is that I find the explicated kanji explanation slightly unfitting: Nekonchu is written with the characters for "cat" and "person" does kind of explain the information for the reader, but it isn't very good. In English, Nekonchu is written Nekonchu, because we don't have alternative character systems. It asks for a suspension of disbelief in a way the original doesn't. Using "in the ancient era" is a sweet cop-out because it's been established Dire can read these characters.

The second, and the more important one, is because the 猫人 = nekonchu is a reference to a joke that goes back to Atline, hakika's first freeware game from 2011, which is getting a remake in the future. If the joke stays in the remake as it was in the original, this tiny fabrication should hopefully give me some leeway into not making the joke a complete flop (reading-based gags can be immensely fucked up to translate). Assuming I've not imploded by then, of course.

Last edited:

Kevinomega101

Reputation score
Offtopic Discussion - Game discussion in Translation section
Help pls @@? received_969534580217236.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Fuck it, final final patch: . There are four changes.

• The last main objective is [SEQUEL] again instead of [After]. I'm biting this bullet now and enjoying the pain of using [SEQUEL] in asylum's last objective too
  • The name "Ulys" which Saxa mentions is now "Yuris". The name appears in a previous hakika game as such, so whatever. I liked the surface-level similarity of four letters in each of the names, but it doesn't really matter.
  • The "traveling exorcist" referred to in the Glow-Ringed Eerie's lore is now "traveling cursebreaker". Having played the hakika game this refers to, it's both more appropriate and less confusable with the "nightmare exorcist" who's an entirely different person.
  • The readme is no longer SHIFT-JIS encoded so it should be fully readable on everyone's computers. Somehow I don't think this will stop people from trying to play the game without the RTP, but still.

If you're wondering what's up with my version numbering: I'm guided by forces of chaos and cannot be stopped.

jason12315

Reputation score
How good is the official english translation? Like, is it better than sub-par's patch? I heard somewhere that sometimes DLsite translations are hit or misses.

Never mind I saw the post on subpar's blog.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
The end is never the end is never the end

SEQUEL awake English patch version 1.1.0:

This patch update isn't as extensive as blight's, but it's still fairly extensive. While checking that I didn't screw up the updated format for dialogue of portraitless characters, I tinkered with whatever didn't seem right at first glance.

Relevant for modders: this update makes changes to the Scripts.rvdata2 file. Rebase your switch-kuruha-from-party patches or whatever on the new scripts file.

A short list of changes:
  • Modders: the scripts file has been modified in multiple places. Update your shit.
  • Mod users: installing mods based on old versions of the patch may undo some changes.
  • The patch readme now comes as a .pdf file labeled manual.pdf. You can delete the old readme_patch.odt file if you have one.
  • Portraitless speaker names are no longer displayed in [brackets].
  • “Land of Cocoons” in the world map is now called “Cocooned Land”.
  • The conversation found at the end of Bottomless Gramtoa now uses wording consistent with Liberty Step’s translation.
  • A longer version of the changelog with more explanations can be found .

kp001

Reputation score
This thread is for translation discussion only.
Anyone have full save?

ozzyyyyyyy

Reputation score
Ignoring public warnings. 1 week ban.
The end is never the end is never the end

SEQUEL awake English patch version 1.1.0:

This patch update isn't as extensive as blight's, but it's still fairly extensive. While checking that I didn't screw up the updated format for dialogue of portraitless characters, I tinkered with whatever didn't seem right at first glance.

Relevant for modders: this update makes changes to the Scripts.rvdata2 file. Rebase your switch-kuruha-from-party patches or whatever on the new scripts file.

A short list of changes:
  • Modders: the scripts file has been modified in multiple places. Update your shit.
  • Mod users: installing mods based on old versions of the patch may undo some changes.
  • The patch readme now comes as a .pdf file labeled manual.pdf. You can delete the old readme_patch.odt file if you have one.
  • Portraitless speaker names are no longer displayed in [brackets].
  • “Land of Cocoons” in the world map is now called “Cocooned Land”.
  • The conversation found at the end of Bottomless Gramtoa now uses wording consistent with Liberty Step’s translation.
  • A longer version of the changelog with more explanations can be found .
H-hey awesome hard working earnest translator sir everyone’s truly blessed to have you. I was wondering if you happened to know what to do to get all the H-scenes for the characters that require you to defeat the final boss from the outside in order to increase their social levels if you’ve already done that before leveling up their social levels- and if there’s a way to salvage it