What's new

[Complete - Full] SEQUEL awake: in english, on your screen, right now (RJ223237)

130298az

If you're willing to answer more translation-related questions then can I ask how you approach translation H-scenes?

Since most of the dialogue that occurs during H-scenes are voiced from females(or the rare traps such as Fake-Rabi & Clar), and I'm assuming you're male(I mean no offense by this), do you then go for a direct translation or try to add some spice? If you add some spice, do you translate in terms of how you think the characters themselves would speak(By their characters) or more in terms of what you think is "sexiest"?

Mistter

Reputation score
"Why's clar a succubus and not an incubus?"
You know this is a good question, now that I think about it.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
"Why's clar a succubus and not an incubus?"
You know this is a good question, now that I think about it.
The fake answer is that the word succubus has its roots in Latin succubare 'to lie beneath' and refers to the demon's position under the man in bed. As Clar is a bottom, this makes it technically appropriate, which is the best kind of appropriate.

The real answer is a little bit more complex. First we need to consider why succubi(female) are succubi. What I translated as 'succubus' was originally the term 夜魔 [yoma?]. It's composed of the characters 夜 'night' and 魔 'evil, demon, (especially in the context of SEQUEL) monster'. Literally, they would be 'night monsters'. Incidentally, typical words used for succubi/incubi are 夢魔 [muma] 'dream demon' and 淫魔 [inma] uhhh 'lewd demon?'. Both work for either gender.

There aren't really any good readily-available translations for yoma, and I wasn't smart enough to make up anything that didn't sound awful. The literal translation of night monster is problematic because then the Monster Log entries would either say "Night monster monster" or "Night monster". The first option is god-awful, and the second option is misleading because the entries are formatted as "<monster type> monster.", so the player would end up thinking a yoma's monster type is "night".

Incidentally, the 'night' character in yoma is likely the reason why they are often mentioned to get rowdier at nights. Both games have also made at least one direct reference to this--something like "this is a yoma. just as the name has it, a monster of the night", which I had to then write around. Life is never easy.

So, as always, I settled for a highly functional alternative. The yoma monster type walk like succubi, look like succubi, and quack like succubi. The largest difference is that they don't seem to have anything to do with dreams and the association with nights is not readily available. But I deemed those acceptable losses in the face of an understandable translation.

That's why a succubus(female) is a succubus. Now, to the original question: why is Clar a succubus(male) and not an incubus? There's two reasons.
  1. Because the word yoma is used for both succubi and incubi, and I didn't want to split the species in two. It could also cause headaches in the future if there's ever a yoma enemy of indeterminate gender--I'd have to gender them if I made the succubus/incubus divide, and I don't enjoy 50-50 guesses in my translations.
  2. Because Clar's species is introduced before his gender is made explicit. Nazuna addresses him as succubus Clarryuuto, which incites the gang into discussing succubi for a moment. Changing this to 'incubus' would immediately give the game away. It would be immensely clumsy to change Nazuna's line to "monster Clarryuuto" because that would make the succubus digression a non-sequitur.

It should be noted that while Clar does use the masculine boku first-person pronoun, that's not an explicit tell of his gender just yet. The bokukko archetype exists for a reason. Which is why I snuck in Clar referring to himself as "not a bad guy" in there, which is suitably telling but not too telling.

***​

If you're willing to answer more translation-related questions then can I ask how you approach translation H-scenes?

Since most of the dialogue that occurs during H-scenes are voiced from females(or the rare traps such as Fake-Rabi & Clar), and I'm assuming you're male(I mean no offense by this), do you then go for a direct translation or try to add some spice? If you add some spice, do you translate in terms of how you think the characters themselves would speak(By their characters) or more in terms of what you think is "sexiest"?
This is a very good question, and you know what that means. It means essay time. Once again, apologies for being rambling.

It's worth noting that not all of this applies to SEQUEL blight, because I had absolutely no clue what I was doing with the early days of that project.

1. Basics
First, a brief surface explanation of the two core strategies at the heart of translating anything. When translating a text (games, books, speeches; anything is a text), the translator may either bring the audience towards the author, or bring the author towards the audience. These strategies are commonly known as source text-oriented translation and target reader-oriented translation.

Source text-oriented translations are commonly used in expressive literature where the stylistic methods used by the author are held in importance. The source text (original language work) sets the guidelines, and the translator's task is to write a target text (translated language work) that follows these guidelines.

Target reader-oriented translations are commonly used in communicational texts: instructions, guidelines. The function of the text is held in importance. The audience and the audience's culture sets the guidelines.

("Source text" means the original work in the language it was written, while "target text" is the translation. Similarly, "source language" is the original work's language and "target language" is the translation's language.)

2. The general approach to H-scenes
In SEQUEL games (and in many other H-games, I would wager), a worthwhile approach to translating H-scenes is target reader-oriented. This is because H-scenes are mostly functional. I'm not saying they are without literary merit to consider, but that in general, their purpose is to arouse the reader. While following the source text closely in form and linguistic form surely draws attention to the clever means the author pulls out with language, oftentimes this results in clumsy and hard-to-read wording that really isn't "sexy", as you put it. It misses the function of the text.

So, yes, things that were meant to be "sexy" should also be "sexy" in the translation. The informational content is secondary. That doesn't mean it's discardable--you don't want just make up unrelated stuff and replace the text with that just because it's sexier. But some adjustments have to be made and different translation strategies employed to keep the text palatable.

In my SEQUEL translations, I typically often employ three basic strategies in the H-scenes, one of which even has a fancy name.

2.1. Local strategy of degree of markedness
What a smart name, right? That's fancy translator-ese for "if the original language word(s) didn't stand out, don't use word(s) that stand out".

A word that I often employ this strategy for is 裏筋 [urasuji], which is the common name for 陰茎小帯 [inkeishoutai] 'frenulum of prepuce of penis'. It either occurs disturbingly often or I've got strange tastes that guide me towards works that like this term. English doesn't have a better word for it than 'frenulum', which still sounds medical and a lot of people probably have to google to find out what it is. The Japanese nickname urasuji is not a medical term.

I ended up translating this into some form of 'back of the penis', 'underside of the penis', or maybe even 'back of the glans' so that it's not hugely disruptive to the reading experience. I think the sole exception was in one of Lec's scenes, where the exact anatomical part was a core component of the line.

2.2. Keeping in mind what the source text does not do
This one probably has a name, but I don't remember which book I learned the idea from so I can't grab it and check. I try to avoid repetition unless the source text has repetition. This often means that whenever I'm translate a sentence describing how vigorously the cum dances through the air or whatever, I maintain a small sanity check of "did the author use the same adverb here as they did four textboxes ago when I used 'vigorously' for the movement of the hips?" If the answer is no, it's synonym time. If it's yes, I wash my hands off it.

Similarly, while I'm always an astounding appreciator of alliteration, I try to pin that part of my personality back so that it doesn't reflect on the target text. Unless, of course, I find alliteration in the the text and I can sate my inner beast with a "glittering golden gaudy" weapon.

Inclusive language fits into this--whether making adjustments based on markedness or the "sexy" factor, if the source text does not use discriminatory, belittling, or offensive language, I don't use it. This goes beyond the scope of H-scenes, but an example of this would be the socialization option "Talk Technical". An available translation for this particular line would be "Sperg out"--but I'm not looking to insert derogatory language in places where there originally was none. Also it's kind of off in tone, as more of a phrase out of internet dialect.

2.3. Stylistical concerns
This umbrella fits under it both the source text's stylistic choices and the target language's established literary norms. They need to be melded together in a reasonable way; the cultural differences in writing styles adapted. It's probably the most freeform part of translation.

When an source text sentence is short, it should be kept short. When it employs a literary trick, it should be preserved. Simple stuff: a joke where a joke is, lines that refer to previous lines or continue their themes sohuld be apparent, and such. Sometimes the exact same trick isn't possible in English and should be substited for with a similar one. Other times the trick just can't be made to work, meaning it's lost. A proper translation would compensate for this elsewhere: if a joke couldn't be made to work in one scene but could work in another, it could be slipped in there. But I'm really lazy and if I can't compensate in the immediate vicinity of the loss, I don't bother.

*​

The difference in writing styles is probably most apparent in the omission of known topics and the use of the Japanese passive. The so-called passive verb form in Japanese is a common and natural way to describe something being done to the subject. However, in English, it can come off as detached and not very interesting. So I employ active constructions instead of passive ones whenever I need to. The difference is the following:

兎の魔物の思うがまま、精液を搾り取られた。
usagi no mamono no omou ga mama, seieki wo shiboritorareta.

Passive (~'literal') translation: Done with as the rabbit monster desires, (your) semen was milked out.
That's kind of awkward. We had to explicate the subject "you" in the second part of the sentence because English really wants explicit subjects. But now it's kind of buried in there. The translation of omou ga mama turned into a trainwreck too. Also, we'd like to keep to a consistent tense.

Keeping the passive, rewording and shuffling to make it more palatable: Your semen is milked out by the rabbit monster who does as she wants.
That's starting to sound like English. But the passive voice of English is not very engaging, so it sounds dry. We're not writing a scientific paper here.
Also, the SEQUEL games are thematically femdom games. By explicating the subject and bringing it to the left, we're inadvertently giving extra agency to the player. I think it is preferred to avoid doing this.

I ended up with: The rabbit monster does as she likes, milking out your semen.
Here, we have an active sentence in the present, which is immediately more engaging. The subject is now the rabbit monster and the player is relegated to the object. Heck yeah, syntactical domination.

*​

I find myself a bad judge of what is "sexy", because I can't find anything that I've written myself arousing. This includes translations. I do find some turns of phrase and instances awkward or unarousing, which I try to then avoid. I think there was a time in SEQUEL blight where I feasibly could have translated something as "the fleshy crack is cleaved open" or something, but that really sounds more like serial-killer talk to me. Yikes, and no thanks. I try to keep in the same realm of palatability that the original text is.

Like I alluded to before, I do some sanity checking inside the scenes to avoid repetition. Not so much across multiple scenes, because if the author didn't themself care that they used the exact phrasing 興奮を煽る [koufun wo aoru] fifteen times across the whole game, I'm going to keep on writing "stirs your arousal" because it gets the job done.

3. The general approach isn't always appropriate
The vast majority of text in SEQUEL games' H-scenes is narration, but as you said, dialogue plays a part. The general approach I outlined above is functional for the narration, and somewhat functional for dialogue, but really breaks down with partial sentences, alternatively-written words (eg. using hiragana instead of kanji), nonstandard punctuation and moaning.

I try to keep to the character voices and literary tricks, but sometimes this is at odds with the information content, length, and English legibility. In these situations I grumble and swear and eventually give up on finding the best solution, oftentimes sacrificing any of the latter three. It's not like anyone's going to call me out for my gormless lack of settling for either...ellipses...for....pauses, or commas, for, pauses, anyway.

I think that's enough rambling for the day. I hope this answers your question somehow. Also, I'm not going to confirm or deny questions about my personal identity, no offense taken.

Yupiel

Lurker
Reputation score
Very detailed answer lol.. Looking forward to SEQUEL Colony soon :3

130298az

Thanks for the long and passionate answer. Very interesting to hear from your perspective.

rastakhan

Lurker
Reputation score
yes, finally i found you! sub-par my man! i tried to contact you on F95 but i think you are inactive there, i've been absolutely captured by the story of SEQUEL:blight and how perfectly you translated it! first time in ages i actually enjoy a good game for it's story! i wanted to thank you for your amazing work but trying to find you was a mess!

Really, all of this was just because you need to know how amazing of a work you did! congrats truly!

I'm so eager to play awake now.. oh boy, thanks again!

130298az

Have you found any big differences between the translation process of Blight/Awake and Colony? Hope everything is going smoothly

Totally not a thinly veiled comment hoping to get some juicy translation progress reports

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Have you found any big differences between the translation process of Blight/Awake and Colony? Hope everything is going smoothly

Totally not a thinly veiled comment hoping to get some juicy translation progress reports
The process is fundamentally the same. I still work in Translator++ because for some reason it's the best available CAT tool for RPGmaker games. With all its flaws (wacky UI bugs and quirks, multiple features with hotkeys that the undo function doesn't work on, incomplete support for full features of RPGMaker Trans) there just isn't another piece of software that 1) displays the source text next to the target text in a reasonable order and 2) has a working search function. Just have to save often and keep copious backups so the software doesn't fuck me over by replacing everything with google translate or some shit.

I mentioned the incomplete support of features of RPGMaker Trans. Notably, Translator++ doesn't let you apply different translations for the same line in multiple contexts. For example, despite what you might have been led to believe, the japanese word はい [hai] does not exactly mean 'yes', but it indicates agreement towards what the question proposes. You can reply to negative questions like "are you not eating?" with hai where in English you would generally use a "no, (I am not)". This creates an issue: as an answer to different questions, hai can mean either 'yes' or 'no' but Translator++ only allows for using one of them for every one.

RPGMaker Trans (which is the software that handles the patching and parsing of the game's text) has a feature that theoretically solves this, but it is not implemented for Translator++. And it does not solve it in practice. So, I write the problematic parts down on a text file, create a patch for the game, open the patched version in RPG Maker Editor, manually change them, then replace the files. It's tedious but I'm not aware of a better method.

The biggest difference so far has been related to this. In SEQUEL blight, I had 21 pieces of text that I need to manually change. In SEQUEL awake, 14. In SEQUEL colony, I have 85 and counting. This is because of the new spriteset of pots, boxes, mushrooms, barrels, sacks, and other random examinable junk. All of them now have variations of one object/multiple objects in the same sprite. As Japanese doesn't generally convey plurality (I'm not saying it lacks means to do so, just that it's normally not done unless necessary) they all have the same examine text. And I don't want the main character to face a single mushroom and say "Mushrooms." or vice versa, fourteen times throughout the game.

SEQUEL colony also is a more subtle work than the other two games. Between that and some narrative and linguistic tricks the game pulls out, there have been challenging times. I'm hoping I'll iron out the kinks during testing and editing. Which I can probably start pretty soon.

As for progress--well. What's left is 85% of the commonevents file (~7300 text boxes), item and monster lore, some image edits, and the all-important editing. Commonevents includes things like H-scenes, all conversation events, tutorials, socialization, and similar junk. A ways to go.

yuyuya

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
The process is fundamentally the same. I still work in Translator++ because for some reason it's the best available CAT tool for RPGmaker games. With all its flaws (wacky UI bugs and quirks, multiple features with hotkeys that the undo function doesn't work on, incomplete support for full features of RPGMaker Trans) there just isn't another piece of software that 1) displays the source text next to the target text in a reasonable order and 2) has a working search function. Just have to save often and keep copious backups so the software doesn't fuck me over by replacing everything with google translate or some shit.

I mentioned the incomplete support of features of RPGMaker Trans. Notably, Translator++ doesn't let you apply different translations for the same line in multiple contexts. For example, despite what you might have been led to believe, the japanese word はい [hai] does not exactly mean 'yes', but it indicates agreement towards what the question proposes. You can reply to negative questions like "are you not eating?" with hai where in English you would generally use a "no, (I am not)". This creates an issue: as an answer to different questions, hai can mean either 'yes' or 'no' but Translator++ only allows for using one of them for every one.

RPGMaker Trans (which is the software that handles the patching and parsing of the game's text) has a feature that theoretically solves this, but it is not implemented for Translator++. And it does not solve it in practice. So, I write the problematic parts down on a text file, create a patch for the game, open the patched version in RPG Maker Editor, manually change them, then replace the files. It's tedious but I'm not aware of a better method.

The biggest difference so far has been related to this. In SEQUEL blight, I had 21 pieces of text that I need to manually change. In SEQUEL awake, 14. In SEQUEL colony, I have 85 and counting. This is because of the new spriteset of pots, boxes, mushrooms, barrels, sacks, and other random examinable junk. All of them now have variations of one object/multiple objects in the same sprite. As Japanese doesn't generally convey plurality (I'm not saying it lacks means to do so, just that it's normally not done unless necessary) they all have the same examine text. And I don't want the main character to face a single mushroom and say "Mushrooms." or vice versa, fourteen times throughout the game.

SEQUEL colony also is a more subtle work than the other two games. Between that and some narrative and linguistic tricks the game pulls out, there have been challenging times. I'm hoping I'll iron out the kinks during testing and editing. Which I can probably start pretty soon.

As for progress--well. What's left is 85% of the commonevents file (~7300 text boxes), item and monster lore, some image edits, and the all-important editing. Commonevents includes things like H-scenes, all conversation events, tutorials, socialization, and similar junk. A ways to go.
I have been enjoying this series immensely thanks to your work. Much appreciated.

I just want to ask: how do you keep pace with your translation work? You can just give examples of colony that you're working on right now; do you just set X number of lines you translate per day? What keeps your motivation? What do you do when you just feel like giving up and just disappear from the internet forever? Your persistence in releasing first two games have been very thankful for all of us leechers; just wanted to know your drive to keep going, maybe it can inspire me to stop sitting on my ass all day and do something for once.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
I have been enjoying this series immensely thanks to your work. Much appreciated.

I just want to ask: how do you keep pace with your translation work? You can just give examples of colony that you're working on right now; do you just set X number of lines you translate per day? What keeps your motivation? What do you do when you just feel like giving up and just disappear from the internet forever? Your persistence in releasing first two games have been very thankful for all of us leechers; just wanted to know your drive to keep going, maybe it can inspire me to stop sitting on my ass all day and do something for once.
I don't really pace it in any way. Circumstances just conspired so that before I knew it, translation turned into a regular part of my daily routine. It's just been a perfect trifecta of having an immense amount of spare time lately, enjoying translation, and enjoying hakika's games.

Setting strict numeric goals doesn't really feel like a helpful thing to do for me. But sometimes I have looser goals like "today I'll do the grunt work of item names/descriptions" or "I'm gonna work on the item gifting messages now". Having little goals like this that are mostly done when they're done is nice.

As for motivation, I dunno. I guess I just like the fascinating puzzle that's translating literature. Having to pay rigorous focus on things like what is being said, what is not being said, what is being done, and for what purpose; then trying to reconstruct them in a different language and cultural framework. Sometimes in character limits too. Occasionally a thing just can't be fitted in its original context in the new language--so it should be put elsewhere, where is appropriate. There's a lot of things that tickle my fancy about it.

I guess I also like to think that I'm doing *some* good with my work--at the very least I got a pleasant PM from someone the other day which sounded like my translations were helping them a little through the shitty times we're all in.

I dunno about wanting to give up and disappear. That just sounds like depression to me. I don't have any inspiration to share either, I'm just doing a thing I like.

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Looks like this game got a official translation on dlsite

No idea about the translation quality. But very odd that they translate the second but not the first game.

Although last time i seen a "official dlsite translation" from a fan translated game it was literally just a copy paste of the fan tl with some edits here and there.

Last edited:

Mistter

Reputation score
Looks like this game got a official translation on dlsite

No idea about the translation quality. But very odd that they translate the second but not the first game.

Although last time i seen a "official dlsite translation" from a fan translated game it was literally just a copy paste of the fan tl with some edits here and there.
It's probably taking them some time to put all the works on Dlsite.
They did the same with the chinese translation, Blight and Awake were posted the same day but Colony was posted 2-3 weeks after.
Btw how's the quality of the official translation?

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
I'll form an opinion on the official translation later, but I'm popping in to mention that because DLsite's English version uses PlayDRM, my patch probably doesn't work on that version of the game. Maybe it works if the DRM can be circumvented in such a way that allows file extraction from the game.exe, but I'm not really interested in finding out.

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I'll form an opinion on the official translation later, but I'm popping in to mention that because DLsite's English version uses PlayDRM, my patch probably doesn't work on that version of the game. Maybe it works if the DRM can be circumvented in such a way that allows file extraction from the game.exe, but I'm not really interested in finding out.
Not sure why would anyone even try to mix the 2 translations and possible cause a lot of problems.
There is a way to circumvent the DRM as someone pointed in a diferent forum.
But thats not something im here to explain.

Either way hope you can share your opinion of the official tl , when you eventually get to it.

Kratoscar2008

Reputation score
Offtopic Discussion - Game discussion in Translation section

Damn really hope its a new Sequel.
Anyways hows colony's translation doing?

130298az

The virgin official translation vs the chad sub-par translation

Mistter

Reputation score

Damn really hope its a new Sequel.
Anyways hows colony's translation doing?
Yep, it's a new Sequel game.
Now I'm hype.

Kratoscar2008

Reputation score
Yep, it's a new Sequel game.
Now I'm hype.
It's apparently having a 6 girl cast.
1599924620847.jpg Its not confirmed this is the cast except the first girl but the others were posted around the time she was.
Hope the axe girl is one. We need an snu snu girl in the series.

SiriusColt

Lurker
Reputation score
It's apparently having a 6 girl cast.
View attachment 34640Its not confirmed this is the cast except the first girl but the others were posted around the time she was.
Hope the axe girl is one. We need an snu snu girl in the series.
Apparently, this is really the cast. He updated the image with the third girl