What's new

[Complete - Full] SEQUEL awake: in english, on your screen, right now (RJ223237)

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
It's an update. Thrilling. Exciting. This patch introduces exciting new features known as "proofreading" and "fixes". Suspiciously, about three quarters of the way into reading through the H-scenes I started noticing less mistakes. But also I've got 86 hours on just the in-game save timer, so I'm about ready to call this project finished and write a post-mortem. I want a new adventure.

Version 1.0.1:

Here's the notable changes:
  • All skill descriptions should now be accurate. If they aren't, I'm going to cry.
  • Clarlryuuto's full name is now Clarryuuto (without the l). The old name will still be displayed in the status menu if you have an older save. Apologies for the inconvenience.
  • The post-game character Beryl Grimort is not only eternally young, but she is immortal, which the translation didn't previously mention. I've also ~written around~ their introductory conversation to not necessitate a translator's note regarding their choice of pronouns. It is somewhat clumsy in implementation, but I believe it to be somewhat better than pretending the problem doesn't exist.
  • Small but important fixes to not leave me huge landmines for SEQUEL colony. Most notably, (spoiler for colony's setting) Schisma is now referred to as the country of pests and not the country of insects.
  • The most glaring of typos and such should be fixed, I hope.

PS: I'm not trying to call anyone out, but the game's sales number on DLsite has grown by 25 since I posted the thread. Buy the dang game if you like it and can.

130298az

Based sub-par

Can't wait for Colony. Please take your time to not get burnt out

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
Offtopic Discussion - Game discussion in Translation section
Okay. After reincarnating all my characters, I entered new game+, and realized that, upon getting new characters, they were all at level 1, instead of matching Kuruha's level like during the original game. Is this a glitch or just a property of NG+? Because it is pretty annoying.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Offtopic Discussion - Game discussion in Translation section
Okay. After reincarnating all my characters, I entered new game+, and realized that, upon getting new characters, they were all at level 1, instead of matching Kuruha's level like during the original game. Is this a glitch or just a property of NG+? Because it is pretty annoying.
It seems to be a "feature" (bug) of NG+. Whenever you meet a new party member, the game checks if the NG+ flag is set. If it isn't, the new character is added to party, initialized (reset to default settings), and XP equal to Kuruha's XP is given to them. If it is, the character is simply added to the party.

This is probably an oversight by the dev, as later in the game when Lec, Pirila, Nazuna, Alma, Nosh, and Clar rejoin the party after you get separated from them, the game's code does check for the XP difference between Kuruha and these party members and amends it even on NG+. Or it's intentional and something somewhere breaks really badly if the XP gets adjusted when the characters first join on NG+.

In either case, I probably won't fix it because I'm lazy. Also, the same issue apparently exists in blight and colony and this is the first time I'm hearing about it. Sorry!

130298az

Ahhh I just finish reading through your translation notes in the readme and saw you put Maria best girl.

A fellow man of culture. I salute you

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Public service announcement. I'm about ready to call this project finished, write up a post-mortem, and never update it again unless I really have to.

Which means that if you've noticed any glaring issues in 1.0.1, then now's your chance to tell me about them and get them fixed in a reasonable timeframe. You can post them in this thread or PM me. A screenshot isn't necessary if you write down the problematic part verbatim.

I'm mostly looking for the following (in no particular order):
  • Incorrect gameplay details (ie. skill/item effects)
  • Large spelling mistakes or awful sentences in the story/other important parts
  • Broken color or name tags: \C[0], \N[21]
  • Translation feedback like "instead of Awareness, a better translation for 認識 would be X because Y." or "you've made a mistake with X because it should be Y", or even something less specific.
I'll take small typos and mistakes in the less important supplemental information too (like descriptions of white items and assorted junk), but if none of the 'bigger' problems pop up then I'm probably not going to bother posting a patch for a few fixes in some rusty claw's lore. Unless there's a whole mountain of tiny typos, I guess.

Mistter

Reputation score
Public service announcement. I'm about ready to call this project finished, write up a post-mortem, and never update it again unless I really have to.

Which means that if you've noticed any glaring issues in 1.0.1, then now's your chance to tell me about them and get them fixed in a reasonable timeframe. You can post them in this thread or PM me. A screenshot isn't necessary if you write down the problematic part verbatim.

I'm mostly looking for the following (in no particular order):
  • Incorrect gameplay details (ie. skill/item effects)
  • Large spelling mistakes or awful sentences in the story/other important parts
  • Broken color or name tags: \C[0], \N[21]
  • Translation feedback like "instead of Awareness, a better translation for 認識 would be X because Y." or "you've made a mistake with X because it should be Y", or even something less specific.
I'll take small typos and mistakes in the less important supplemental information too (like descriptions of white items and assorted junk), but if none of the 'bigger' problems pop up then I'm probably not going to bother posting a patch for a few fixes in some rusty claw's lore. Unless there's a whole mountain of tiny typos, I guess.
sub_par I have a question, what does Noja mean?

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
sub_par I have a question, what does Noja mean?
Ah, I guess this is what I get. I'll give you a three-layer explanation, just like toilet paper, while trying to avoid difficult jargon.

PART I. NOJA IN A VACUUM.
To explain 'noja', first we need to explain 'ja'.

To put it simply, ja (じゃ) is an old form of the common copula だ [da] ~ です [desu], somewhat analogous to English verbs 'to be' or 'is'. It was part of the speech register of elderly and intellectuals in the Edo period, but by the Meiji era (latter half of 1800s) had fallen out of actual speech. (Actually, there's a ja copula living on in uhhh okayaman dialect? But I have no idea if that developed independently)

In some situations, for reasons half grammatical and half affectative (which I'm not going to get into because I'm not a Japanese teacher) the particle の [no] is slapped in front of the ja, forming のじゃ (noja). The particle's meaning is quite versatile and it cannot really be cleanly separated from the context it occurs in without making this post needlessly complicated, so I guess you can just ignore it. Or call it an indicator of explanation, so that noja means something like "this is how it is".

That's noja in a vacuum, simplified. But words don't occur in a vacuum.

PART II. NOJA IN CULTURE.
Earlier, I alluded to 'ja' being a part of the speech register of the elderly and intellectuals. I wrote about this part in length in my translator's notes for Lec, but what she uses is the same speech register that intellectuals once used: 'old codger' speech. A naive approach would be to recognize this and go: "aha! let's apply Shakespearean English since she uses archaic verb forms too!", but I believe that to be a misstep for two reasons. One is that ye olde English is a real pain in the ass to read, write, and incredibly unerotic to put into H-scene dialogue. The second and more important one is that while Lec uses the old codger speech, she isn't the 'old codger' archetype.

Lec is the 'noja-loli' archetype: a small female character that uses the old codger register but doesn't fit it otherwise in the slightest. Usually on the arrogant side of things, often liking sweet things. A popular example of this would be Shinobu Oshino from Bakemonogatari, but there's many more. It's a fairly common anime girl archetype. The real problem is that while this is a recognizable and established archetype in Japanese anime stuff, it really isn't in English. There's not even a good substitution to make for a noja-loli's speech patterns, as I can't think of any archaic versions of English that carry the same petty brattiness.

The archetype is named after the verbal tic (kyara-gobi for that anon angry about the words 'verbal tic') of ending sentences with -noja. It is one of the signifiers for a character archetype.

PART III. NOJA IN SEQUEL.
Lec takes the noja-loli archetype and cranks the noja up to eleven. She uses noja in its original meaning as a copula, she uses it as an interjection. Kuruha even makes references to her constant noja by referring to her as のじゃっこ 'noja girl'. The narration mentions Lec doing のじゃのじゃしていた 'noja-nojaing', and a noja is crammed into the names of her h-scenes. In last year's April Fools game she completes the ascension and the character with her name is simply called noja.

Also, it's 1 am and I need to wake up in 6 hours to catch a train. Why am I still writing this

EPILOGUE. CONCLUSION NOJA.
Originally a respectable if outdated occurrence of the verb 'to be', noja is now simultaneously a verbal tic, a character archetype indicator, an exclamation, and a recurring gag, but not a verb. The secret is unveiled.

Last edited:

Mistter

Reputation score
Ah, I guess this is what I get. I'll give you a three-layer explanation, just like toilet paper, while trying to avoid difficult jargon.

PART I. NOJA IN A VACUUM.
To explain 'noja', first we need to explain 'ja'.

To put it simply, ja (じゃ) is an old form of the common copula だ [da] ~ です [desu], somewhat analogous to English verbs 'to be' or 'is'. It was part of the speech register of elderly and intellectuals in the Edo period, but by the Meiji era (latter half of 1800s) had fallen out of actual speech. (Actually, there's a ja copula living on in uhhh okayaman dialect? But I have no idea if that developed independently)

In some situations, for reasons half grammatical and half affectative (which I'm not going to get into because I'm not a Japanese teacher) the particle の [no] is slapped in front of the ja, forming のじゃ (noja). The particle's meaning is quite versatile and it cannot really be cleanly separated from the context it occurs in without making this post needlessly complicated, so I guess you can just ignore it. Or call it an indicator of explanation, so that noja means something like "this is how it is".

That's noja in a vacuum, simplified. But words don't occur in a vacuum.

PART II. NOJA IN CULTURE.
Earlier, I alluded to 'ja' being a part of the speech register of the elderly and intellectuals. I wrote about this part in length in my translator's notes for Lec, but what she uses is the same speech register that intellectuals once used: 'old codger' speech. A naive approach would be to recognize this and go: "aha! let's apply Shakespearean English since she uses archaic verb forms too!", but I believe that to be a misstep for two reasons. One is that ye olde English is a real pain in the ass to read, write, and incredibly unerotic to put into H-scene dialogue. The second and more important one is that while Lec uses the old codger speech, she isn't the 'old codger' archetype.

Lec is the 'noja-loli' archetype: a small female character that uses the old codger register but doesn't fit it otherwise in the slightest. Usually on the arrogant side of things, often liking sweet things. A popular example of this would be Shinobu Oshino from Bakemonogatari, but there's many more. It's a fairly common anime girl archetype. The real problem is that while this is a recognizable and established archetype in Japanese anime stuff, it really isn't in English. There's not even a good substitution to make for a noja-loli's speech patterns, as I can't think of any archaic versions of English that carry the same petty brattiness.

The archetype is named after the verbal tic (kyara-gobi for that anon angry about the words 'verbal tic') of ending sentences with -noja. It is one of the signifiers for a character archetype.

PART III. NOJA IN SEQUEL.
Lec takes the noja-loli archetype and cranks the noja up to eleven. She uses noja in its original meaning as a copula, she uses it as an interjection. Kuruha even makes references to her constant noja by referring to her as のじゃっこ 'noja girl'. The narration mentions Lec doing のじゃのじゃしていた 'noja-nojaing', and a noja is crammed into the names of her h-scenes. In last year's April Fools game she completes the ascension and the character with her name is simply called noja.

Also, it's 1 am and I need to wake up in 6 hours to catch a train. Why am I still writing this

EPILOGUE. CONCLUSION NOJA.
Originally a respectable if outdated occurrence of the verb 'to be', noja is now simultaneously a verbal tic, a character archetype indicator, an exclamation, and a recurring gag, but not a verb. The secret is unveiled.
Thanks, it was a little hard to understand at first but I think I get it now. It was really confusing for me to read that word over and ove again without knowing what the heck does it mean.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
It doesn't look like anyone's got any issues to report? No questions to ask? Eh, I'm not going to slam down a deadline or anything. But I might stop checking my notifications every day.

I'm going to go ahead and sort through my thoughts about the project now. Mostly for my sake, because it helps to put things to words, but the reader might also find some things interesting. If you don't, then, well. You don't have to read it. It's really long anyways.

Background
Most of my first playthrough of SEQUEL awake happened between 23rd and 29th of March. During this time I made spotty notes about possible problematic parts (puns mostly), and observations about how the characters talk, if they use any specific vocabulary often, and such things. The notes weren't immensely helpful or organized. Over about 81 days between when I started working on the translation and when I posted this thread, I worked in some capacity on 76 of them.

In retrospect, there are two things. First, I should have kept better notes. Maybe I should invest in CAT software that has a decent memory tool before the lore overwhelms me. I'm too lazy to organize a spreadsheet, so I just and it quickly degenerated into a mess. And I still keep dumping things into it. At least now I'm keeping three files instead of one to organize things better.

Second is that I should have taken more breaks. Especially during the H-scene translation hell I dug myself into. I'm fairly certain I would've got the scenes done faster and less laboriously if I had taken two breaks a week instead of about one break every other week. Whatever, watch me fly into the translation sun.

With SEQUEL blight I went into the project without any translation planning or strategy, without any translation theory, without any knowledge about RPGMaker workings, and having only played half of the game in some part of 2018. That resulted in the sinking ship that I need to issue constant patches for. This time I had vague translation strategies (some of which even survived collision with the work!), rudimentary translation theory, fair knowledge of RPGMaker, and having played through the game and most of the side content. This helped.

*​

Translation plan
For SEQUEL awake, I had myself the important goal of making explicable decisions. Not necessarily defensible ones. For example, the two basic reasons why Pirila uses "ya" is that 1) her accent is recognizable and 2) she uses a noticeable second-person singular pronoun that the rest of the cast don't. There's some more nuance to it, but that's the basic reason. It's an accountable decision in that if someone finds fault with it or asks me to explain it, I should be able to do so. Whether that or others are good decisions or not is up to argument, which is fine.

Sometimes the decisions are affective. For example, during the storyline's climax I thought a lot about whether to use "fuck off" or "screw off" when you're facing Siblum right before the credits. I felt the first one was too dramatic, but the second one was too tame. I erred on the side of dramatic. I considered that if the reader's engaging with the work, a "fuck off" is more appropriate given the circumstances. Either the reader sympathizes with Sheena meaning Sibluml killed a friend, the reader sympathizes with the protagonist and blames Sibluml for instigating everything, or the reader's really let down by the stupid eggman and wants to tell it to fuck off. Of course, assuming that the reader's not engaging with the work would not be helpful, because then the decision doesn't matter.

A side note. You might find the above explanations sounding rather cut-and-dry and calculative. It's art after all! Well, I don't trust my artist's instinct with big things. It guides me to decisions like "Kuruha seems like the type of woman who says yup", and there's no real way to explain that. I couldn't begin to tell you what's the difference between a person who says "yup" more often than "yep", except that I think Kuruha is one. And I don't mean to say I don't use instinct ever--I use a translator's instinct, as appropriate. But, well, that's for another post.

*​

Issue - character voices
There's ten main characters. Twelve, if you count Sheena and Dire. They have different voices each: not necessarily unique, but different. My biggest problem with translating this game was that the three written voices that come to me naturally are formal, very formal, and texting friends/shitposting. The first one is the only one that might be generally helpful to have in my toolkit if only for the narration. The middle one I might've used once when Nazuna was apologizing about something? The last one might have enjoyed some very slight unconscious channeling into parts of Yanie's or Saxa's speech. It was rather difficult to try and juggle all of them.

Some characters I liked less than others. It might be because the large amount of characters sort of diluted their depth, making them bit more caricaturized than I'd like. Or it may have been personal preference. In any case, I worry for Yanie and Alma in particular. That my mild dislike of them is apparent through the text, or that it affected them indirectly through me unconsciously caring less about how they end up.

And I guess Alma's also got the problem that I couldn't naturally cram meowing in words like "Nazuna". So I mixed in some "nya" because I didn't want to edit all the regular meowing away, I wanted to cut the joke even less, and I am actively hostile to the idea of changing Nazuna's name to fit a meowing joke in. So, it's a disaster. Neither could I cram it into "Andelan", and I wasn't brave enough to change that name to, even though it very likely would have been the optimal choice. I don't think anyone would have suffered if I changed it to something like "Evdelan" -> "Mewdelan".

Pirila worries me, not because I don't like her character, but because I am inexperienced with writing an apparent-but-not-too-thick accent. Also, I made the inadvisable decision of having her use "ya" instead of "you" and kept forgetting about it. I hope I fixed them all in 1.0.1, but probably not. There are occasions, especially when she explains stuff, that I don't think I did a good job with carrying her accent around.

Clar worries me too, because his presence is thin. My notes contain his name, his pronoun boku, the joke Succubus (male), and a note on how I wrote the way he commonly laughs. There's literally nothing about his voice there? What did I even do? I hope my instincts didn't lead me too much astray, because it's only now that I realize that no alarm bells rung in my head at any point with him. Which is pretty wild.

In general, it's difficult for me to judge the individual voices of the characters, having just written them. Typical solutions to this problem would be to have a test reader (or an editor) to openly communicate with about the perceived voices, or to take a break of a few months and come back with somewhat fresher eyes. I don't really want to do either, so...they are what they are. I can only hope that I got there.

Other issues
Skill names are a problem. I talked about this somewhat in my readme, but I remain too lazy to use substitution so there's not a great tonal difference between the skills of many characters. A lot of Sheila's skill names are also a real word salad. I probably should figure out a good strategy to dealing with this. I'm not sold on the Final Fantasy 7's Omnislash-style strategy. If you're unfamiliar with it, Cloud's limit break Omnislash 超究武神覇斬 [choukyuu bushin hazan] is apparently literally closer to "Super Extreme Martial God Supreme Slash". But, eh. Bears thinking about.

My past translation decisions haunt me. I no longer would like to use "bon appetit" in any form during my translations, but I was forced to. When gifting Infernal Cookies to Kuruha, the first thing she says is word-for-word what Rabi said in blight when you gifted them to her. Of course, the rest of the conversation is different. But I hesitate to change it for the sake of all the people who already gifted Rabi Infernal Cookies.

My current translation decisions haunt me too. The Empress/Emperor of Rage situation is a mess that I should have sorted out before giving up on. Pond of Ayakashi's name is a stretch: I assumed an unusual reading because of the Shikinowan stuff nearby. I'm not happy with Eerie as a Shikinowan creature, it's a stretch. Also it disincentivizes me into using the excellent word "eerie" less. There's a pinch too much noja.

I think I take too much refuge in the awful, awful joke of quoting the Latin of Mikael Agricola when he invented written Finnish: Douglas Robinson translated it as "for nothing is simultaneously started and perfected". I cannot describe how funny it is for me to liken my hobbyist translation of a porn game to the life work of some guy who started the literary tradition of a culture. It's so funny that I think I'm actually believing in it a little, and avoiding taking full responsibility for what I write. I might have to find another piece of pretentious Latin to quote in the future.

Finally, and most importantly, I didn't catch any Jojo references. This likely means I missed a Jojo reference.

*​

Successes
While it's dicy business to review your own work (especially after such a short time when you haven't yet had time to improve), I'm going to do it anyways because no one can stop me: I think that I managed to carry the general tone of the work well. A traditional adventure - highs and lows, betrayal and hijinks. Sharp edges you could hurt yourself with under the gentle surface. A soft breeze through the barren yet beautiful--okay, I'll stop. In the big picture, it's fine.

I think I did a decent job keeping unwanted cultural influences out of the work. Not a great one: I probably should've discarded "speak of the devil" for being too Christian, but I kept it since it's not really a biblical reference and there are actual monsters which I used 'devil' for in the universe. Otherwise, it was the standard fare. Avoiding usage of phrases that are tied to the real world like "oh my God" or "what on Earth", if there wasn't a reason to.

A little awkwardly, I decided that this included the "missionary" position. Since, you know, whether the obvious etymology is factual or not, it's too obvious. There might be an argument for keeping it 'missionary' if 正常位 has roots in the spread of German sexology in the 1900s to Japan. But that's a really deep cut for like two uses for the word. I'm not about to try and find out, and I'm certainly not going to try and puzzle out the possible religious motivations of these sexologists. I'm still counting it as a success.

I feel that translating 鈴口 as "bell end" was a small stroke of genius, even if it isn't very erotic. The reason why this is hilariously accurate is left as an exercise to the reader.

*​

Conclusion
I should read more books.

What's that, the conclusion doesn't follow? Hey, I like books. In all seriousness, this time I didn't learn any massive obvious things. I learned a lot of little things, that I should keep better notes, and that I should read more translation theory. Maybe play some game that has a translation I love side by side with the original, so I can steal ideas gain inspiration.

You're still here? Or scrolled past the rambling mess? You might be interested in knowing that ✨I've been translating SEQUEL colony✨.
I might post updates about it on my profile again, or I might not. And I don't yet have a good estimate on how long it might take.

liteldog

Reputation score
It doesn't look like anyone's got any issues to report? No questions to ask? Eh, I'm not going to slam down a deadline or anything. But I might stop checking my notifications every day.

I'm going to go ahead and sort through my thoughts about the project now. Mostly for my sake, because it helps to put things to words, but the reader might also find some things interesting. If you don't, then, well. You don't have to read it. It's really long anyways.

Background
Most of my first playthrough of SEQUEL awake happened between 23rd and 29th of March. During this time I made spotty notes about possible problematic parts (puns mostly), and observations about how the characters talk, if they use any specific vocabulary often, and such things. The notes weren't immensely helpful or organized. Over about 81 days between when I started working on the translation and when I posted this thread, I worked in some capacity on 76 of them.

In retrospect, there are two things. First, I should have kept better notes. Maybe I should invest in CAT software that has a decent memory tool before the lore overwhelms me. I'm too lazy to organize a spreadsheet, so I just and it quickly degenerated into a mess. And I still keep dumping things into it. At least now I'm keeping three files instead of one to organize things better.

Second is that I should have taken more breaks. Especially during the H-scene translation hell I dug myself into. I'm fairly certain I would've got the scenes done faster and less laboriously if I had taken two breaks a week instead of about one break every other week. Whatever, watch me fly into the translation sun.

With SEQUEL blight I went into the project without any translation planning or strategy, without any translation theory, without any knowledge about RPGMaker workings, and having only played half of the game in some part of 2018. That resulted in the sinking ship that I need to issue constant patches for. This time I had vague translation strategies (some of which even survived collision with the work!), rudimentary translation theory, fair knowledge of RPGMaker, and having played through the game and most of the side content. This helped.

*​

Translation plan
For SEQUEL awake, I had myself the important goal of making explicable decisions. Not necessarily defensible ones. For example, the two basic reasons why Pirila uses "ya" is that 1) her accent is recognizable and 2) she uses a noticeable second-person singular pronoun that the rest of the cast don't. There's some more nuance to it, but that's the basic reason. It's an accountable decision in that if someone finds fault with it or asks me to explain it, I should be able to do so. Whether that or others are good decisions or not is up to argument, which is fine.

Sometimes the decisions are affective. For example, during the storyline's climax I thought a lot about whether to use "fuck off" or "screw off" when you're facing Siblum right before the credits. I felt the first one was too dramatic, but the second one was too tame. I erred on the side of dramatic. I considered that if the reader's engaging with the work, a "fuck off" is more appropriate given the circumstances. Either the reader sympathizes with Sheena meaning Sibluml killed a friend, the reader sympathizes with the protagonist and blames Sibluml for instigating everything, or the reader's really let down by the stupid eggman and wants to tell it to fuck off. Of course, assuming that the reader's not engaging with the work would not be helpful, because then the decision doesn't matter.

A side note. You might find the above explanations sounding rather cut-and-dry and calculative. It's art after all! Well, I don't trust my artist's instinct with big things. It guides me to decisions like "Kuruha seems like the type of woman who says yup", and there's no real way to explain that. I couldn't begin to tell you what's the difference between a person who says "yup" more often than "yep", except that I think Kuruha is one. And I don't mean to say I don't use instinct ever--I use a translator's instinct, as appropriate. But, well, that's for another post.

*​

Issue - character voices
There's ten main characters. Twelve, if you count Sheena and Dire. They have different voices each: not necessarily unique, but different. My biggest problem with translating this game was that the three written voices that come to me naturally are formal, very formal, and texting friends/shitposting. The first one is the only one that might be generally helpful to have in my toolkit if only for the narration. The middle one I might've used once when Nazuna was apologizing about something? The last one might have enjoyed some very slight unconscious channeling into parts of Yanie's or Saxa's speech. It was rather difficult to try and juggle all of them.

Some characters I liked less than others. It might be because the large amount of characters sort of diluted their depth, making them bit more caricaturized than I'd like. Or it may have been personal preference. In any case, I worry for Yanie and Alma in particular. That my mild dislike of them is apparent through the text, or that it affected them indirectly through me unconsciously caring less about how they end up.

And I guess Alma's also got the problem that I couldn't naturally cram meowing in words like "Nazuna". So I mixed in some "nya" because I didn't want to edit all the regular meowing away, I wanted to cut the joke even less, and I am actively hostile to the idea of changing Nazuna's name to fit a meowing joke in. So, it's a disaster. Neither could I cram it into "Andelan", and I wasn't brave enough to change that name to, even though it very likely would have been the optimal choice. I don't think anyone would have suffered if I changed it to something like "Evdelan" -> "Mewdelan".

Pirila worries me, not because I don't like her character, but because I am inexperienced with writing an apparent-but-not-too-thick accent. Also, I made the inadvisable decision of having her use "ya" instead of "you" and kept forgetting about it. I hope I fixed them all in 1.0.1, but probably not. There are occasions, especially when she explains stuff, that I don't think I did a good job with carrying her accent around.

Clar worries me too, because his presence is thin. My notes contain his name, his pronoun boku, the joke Succubus (male), and a note on how I wrote the way he commonly laughs. There's literally nothing about his voice there? What did I even do? I hope my instincts didn't lead me too much astray, because it's only now that I realize that no alarm bells rung in my head at any point with him. Which is pretty wild.

In general, it's difficult for me to judge the individual voices of the characters, having just written them. Typical solutions to this problem would be to have a test reader (or an editor) to openly communicate with about the perceived voices, or to take a break of a few months and come back with somewhat fresher eyes. I don't really want to do either, so...they are what they are. I can only hope that I got there.

Other issues
Skill names are a problem. I talked about this somewhat in my readme, but I remain too lazy to use substitution so there's not a great tonal difference between the skills of many characters. A lot of Sheila's skill names are also a real word salad. I probably should figure out a good strategy to dealing with this. I'm not sold on the Final Fantasy 7's Omnislash-style strategy. If you're unfamiliar with it, Cloud's limit break Omnislash 超究武神覇斬 [choukyuu bushin hazan] is apparently literally closer to "Super Extreme Martial God Supreme Slash". But, eh. Bears thinking about.

My past translation decisions haunt me. I no longer would like to use "bon appetit" in any form during my translations, but I was forced to. When gifting Infernal Cookies to Kuruha, the first thing she says is word-for-word what Rabi said in blight when you gifted them to her. Of course, the rest of the conversation is different. But I hesitate to change it for the sake of all the people who already gifted Rabi Infernal Cookies.

My current translation decisions haunt me too. The Empress/Emperor of Rage situation is a mess that I should have sorted out before giving up on. Pond of Ayakashi's name is a stretch: I assumed an unusual reading because of the Shikinowan stuff nearby. I'm not happy with Eerie as a Shikinowan creature, it's a stretch. Also it disincentivizes me into using the excellent word "eerie" less. There's a pinch too much noja.

I think I take too much refuge in the awful, awful joke of quoting the Latin of Mikael Agricola when he invented written Finnish: Douglas Robinson translated it as "for nothing is simultaneously started and perfected". I cannot describe how funny it is for me to liken my hobbyist translation of a porn game to the life work of some guy who started the literary tradition of a culture. It's so funny that I think I'm actually believing in it a little, and avoiding taking full responsibility for what I write. I might have to find another piece of pretentious Latin to quote in the future.

Finally, and most importantly, I didn't catch any Jojo references. This likely means I missed a Jojo reference.

*​

Successes
While it's dicy business to review your own work (especially after such a short time when you haven't yet had time to improve), I'm going to do it anyways because no one can stop me: I think that I managed to carry the general tone of the work well. A traditional adventure - highs and lows, betrayal and hijinks. Sharp edges you could hurt yourself with under the gentle surface. A soft breeze through the barren yet beautiful--okay, I'll stop. In the big picture, it's fine.

I think I did a decent job keeping unwanted cultural influences out of the work. Not a great one: I probably should've discarded "speak of the devil" for being too Christian, but I kept it since it's not really a biblical reference and there are actual monsters which I used 'devil' for in the universe. Otherwise, it was the standard fare. Avoiding usage of phrases that are tied to the real world like "oh my God" or "what on Earth", if there wasn't a reason to.

A little awkwardly, I decided that this included the "missionary" position. Since, you know, whether the obvious etymology is factual or not, it's too obvious. There might be an argument for keeping it 'missionary' if 正常位 has roots in the spread of German sexology in the 1900s to Japan. But that's a really deep cut for like two uses for the word. I'm not about to try and find out, and I'm certainly not going to try and puzzle out the possible religious motivations of these sexologists. I'm still counting it as a success.

I feel that translating 鈴口 as "bell end" was a small stroke of genius, even if it isn't very erotic. The reason why this is hilariously accurate is left as an exercise to the reader.

*​

Conclusion

What's that, the conclusion doesn't follow? Hey, I like books. In all seriousness, this time I didn't learn any massive obvious things. I learned a lot of little things, that I should keep better notes, and that I should read more translation theory. Maybe play some game that has a translation I love side by side with the original, so I can steal ideas gain inspiration.

You're still here? Or scrolled past the rambling mess? You might be interested in knowing that ✨I've been translating SEQUEL colony✨.
I might post updates about it on my profile again, or I might not. And I don't yet have a good estimate on how long it might take.
Want to encourage you to share when you feel like it. I do find your experience interesting.

Kamil118

Lurker
Reputation score
Damn you're fast. Didn't really expect this to happen until like winter.

And meanwhile here I am, almost broke...

Also, any place I can drop you some dough for god's work when I got something to spare?

130298az

Not releasing Sequel Colony by the end of this week!1!???? sub-par once again slacking smh /s

In all seriousness I really enjoyed your translation notes and readmes. Out of all the translators I know, you seem to be the most detailed. Please make sure you are taking more breaks(Like you mentioned above).

Mistter

Reputation score
N

Background

*​

Translation plan

*​

Issue - character voices

Other issues

*​

Successes

*​

Conclusion

Neat, I'm almost done with Awake, I finally want to finish this trilogy.

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I just want to say good job with the translation.
Its obviously not easy to make accents or ticks for characters in english that dont sound generic.

Also no need to rush on Colony, you will just burn yourself out pretty fast.

Mistter

Reputation score
Hey sub_par I have a request but I'm pretty late so feel free to ignore it.
I really like your work but the requeriments to unlock the scenes are a little ambiguous, I would really love if you added something like "Become more intimate with X (social level 2)" "Become more intimate with X (social level 3).
That's all but like I said I'm really late

tsuna002

Reputation score
Just caught this.

Accessory Face-Sealing Bead says it increases Attack by 5%, but there's no change in the character's Attack stat. MAT, MDF, and SP increase when equipped.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Hello, thread. Thank you for the encouraging words. If you have any translation-related questions (like "why's clar a succubus and not an incubus"), suggestions, or bug reports, please continue to inform me about them.
If you've got lore questions or if you're unsure whether or not your question is a lore question or a translation question, feel free to post it in the game thread. I'll probably answer you there. My overarching observation of SEQUEL discussions cannot be escaped.

Hey sub_par I have a request but I'm pretty late so feel free to ignore it.
I really like your work but the requeriments to unlock the scenes are a little ambiguous, I would really love if you added something like "Become more intimate with X (social level 2)" "Become more intimate with X (social level 3).
That's all but like I said I'm really late
I answered your request over at hgg, but I'll do so again for posterity. It's not really about being late, but that doing this is a bunch of work for relatively little gain. I'm not ideologically opposed to sneaking in fixes and improvements in my patches--I've already done this. I got upset at blight when I thought the XP gain increasing talent was party-wide, but wasn't, so I added in a few words to refer to the singular party member that has the talent. In awake, the Bone Katana originally gave some random passive instead of the skill it said it did, so I quietly fixed that.

But back to your suggestion. The social level requirements weren't written down in the original game, and I can't trust the Japanese wiki to have everything right, so I would have to navigate through RPGMaker's clumsy UI to find every event trigger and look at the code. Since none of the H-scenes can be permanently missed, I'm just going to trust the players to keep playing the game when they find scenes that they can't unlock yet.

Just caught this.

Accessory Face-Sealing Bead says it increases Attack by 5%, but there's no change in the character's Attack stat. MAT, MDF, and SP increase when equipped.
The incorrect special effect description on Face-Sealing Bead was fixed in 1.0.1 along with a lot of other very important things. Please update your translation patch.

Damn you're fast. Didn't really expect this to happen until like winter.

And meanwhile here I am, almost broke...

Also, any place I can drop you some dough for god's work when I got something to spare?
No. I'm not comfortable with profiting from illicit translations. Doubly so with the lacking quality of my work noja. And I know it's like the wild west out there and that the established standards on H-game translations are miserably low, but those aren't excuses.